Build a Vanship?

Michael Hopcroft

I'm curious to see how you guys would write up Vanships, the two-person light aircraft from Last Exile. Although obviosuly vanships wouldn't work in the real world (what the heck holds them up?) they are obviously cool craft with great versatility. They are used as fighters, couriers, delivery vehicles for small cargoes, and are much faster than the larger vessels used for set-piece battles and to carry larger cargoes.

The most important thing to note about a Vanship, and probably the most awkward thing to model, is that it cannot be flown solo. Its propulsion and lift systems are so complex that it would crash without an on-board mechanic in the secondary cockpit making dozens of little adjustments in flight.

Re: Build a Vanship?

That weird bubbly stuff in the bubbly stuff tubes of course :D

Flight 20", OIF "Bubbly Stuff"?

Of course, trying to figure out just what that bubbly stuff was, or how any sort of steam-powered engine could provide enough lift, is futile -- the Vanships are aerodynamically impossible virtually by definition. However, Last Exile is one of the best examples of a Square-style video game concept translated to animation. It had an extremely rich and complex world and some lovely characters.;

Flight 20", OIF "Bubbly Stuff"?

Of course, trying to figure out just what that bubbly stuff was, or how any sort of steam-powered engine could provide enough lift, is futile -- the Vanships are aerodynamically impossible virtually by definition. However, Last Exile is one of the best examples of a Square-style video game concept translated to animation. It had an extremely rich and complex world and some lovely characters.;

Actually they name the stuff in the show, when he was repairing the Vanship after the crash. I'll have to look through the show again.

Claudia is the stuff that powers the Claudia Units. It is extremely valuable (ounce per ounce on par with gold) but is apparently not consumed by the Claudia Unit, instead steam is used to superheat the liquid Claudia which then somehow powers the units providing the ships anti-gravity capability.

Claudia is the stuff that powers the Claudia Units. It is extremely valuable (ounce per ounce on par with gold) but is apparently not consumed by the Claudia Unit' date=' instead steam is used to superheat the liquid Claudia which then somehow powers the units providing the ships anti-gravity capability.[/quote']

Well "Claudia Units" does sound a little better than "Bubbly Stuff Tubes". Just a tad. I think "Bubbly Stuff Tubes" has more style though.....:cool:

You must have posted that reply before I edited my post - that was quick :)

Anyhow, I've ordered it from JB's - although it isn't in stock, they do have a history of carrying anime titles. I should have the 7 DVD box set for $AUD 70 within the week.

Worth every penny, trust me. That gets you about a week's worth of evening viewing, or more if you plan on doing other stuff with your evenings.

On topic, I think McCoy has it: that takes care of the need for a navigator/engineer. Otherwise you build them as a plane, with the folowing provisos:

1. They're as maneuverable as all hell, so a limited turning circle

2. They are as durable as all hell - during the series, people crash them, they get holes shot in them, they make crash andings - and a few hours with some simple hand tools is enough to get them airborne again.

3. They float and can even operate on the water, albeit slowly. So, a souple of inches of swimming.

4. They are unreliable. They migh be easy to fix, but they also seem to break down a lot. Some sort of burnout on the flight, that can be fixed by engineering, would not be out of place.

That should do it.

cheers, Mark

Worth every penny' date=' trust me. That gets you about a week's worth of evening viewing, or more if you plan on doing other stuff with your evenings.[/quote']

Definitely. It has a different feel than regular Japanese Anime. In fact it may not be from there, I guess I should look. But it is definetly a great story and the animation is first rate. I would consider it a G (maybe PG) rated myself, so it is a good one if you have kids.

On topic, I think McCoy has it: that takes care of the need for a navigator/engineer. Otherwise you build them as a plane, with the folowing provisos:

1. They're as maneuverable as all hell, so a limited turning circle

2. They are as durable as all hell - during the series, people crash them, they get holes shot in them, they make crash andings - and a few hours with some simple hand tools is enough to get them airborne again.

3. They float and can even operate on the water, albeit slowly. So, a souple of inches of swimming.

4. They are unreliable. They migh be easy to fix, but they also seem to break down a lot. Some sort of burnout on the flight, that can be fixed by engineering, would not be out of place.

Except for #3, think of them as a WW1 biplanes. A wrench and a screwdriver fixes anything :D

Except for #3' date=' think of them as a WW1 biplanes. A wrench and a screwdriver fixes anything :D[/quote']

Correction: A wrench and a screwdriver in skilled hands fixes everything. Being a good Vanship mechanic takes talent and dedication, enough so that it is worth beings its own skill. The heroine in Last Exile (don't call her Klaus' girlfriend, at least not to her face) has it at at least 15-.

Except for #3' date=' think of them as a WW1 biplanes. A wrench and a screwdriver fixes anything :D[/quote']

That is in fact, exactly how I thougth of everything in that series - the vanships are biplanes, the big flying battleships are .... well, big flying battleships. The uniforms, etc are also very early-20th century Europe inspired.

cheers, Mark

Correction: A wrench and a screwdriver in skilled hands fixes everything. Being a good Vanship mechanic takes talent and dedication' date=' enough so that it is worth beings its own skill. The heroine in Last Exile (don't call her Klaus' girlfriend, at least not to her face) has it at at least 15-.[/quote']

True. I was thnking of the early days of aviation. A lot of stories where the pilot lands on any road or field he can find and fixes his problem before taking off again. The old bailing wire and string age of aviation.

That is in fact, exactly how I thougth of everything in that series - the vanships are biplanes, the big flying battleships are .... well, big flying battleships. The uniforms, etc are also very early-20th century Europe inspired.

cheers, Mark

I think that was why I liked it. The whole feel of that era.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't that be credited to alot of plotdevice from the GM?

Could be, but it was such a major part of the background (ie: even when it didn't happen to our heroes, it happened to other people, and was a recurring topic of discussion) that I'd probably include it. Doing so would be a sure way to ensure that players regarded vanships as "a bit unreliable".

cheers, Mark

• 5 months later...

if you think about it, its not that difficult. im am going to attempt to build a real vanship, but it will probably look slightly different...

anyways, whats called the "lift generation fluid cell" and the "power generation" can be cells for hydrogen and electrolasys...i spelled that wrong...

the "on board Tank" would store the water necasary for electralysis. the "main claudia tank" would also.

now, the water would be supplied to the electralysis engine through the "claudia tube", then hydrogen would fill the "lift generation fluid cells" and create actuall lift. when speed(creating thrust) is added, expecially if the wings were slighty longer creating more lift, it would be possible for take off. the steering mecanism would be fairly similar to one of a WW1 bi-plane.

im still working to see what the "main claudia core" and the "thrust direction oscillation resonator" would do for me....

• 3 weeks later...