Newish to the game, have a question.

JenovasWitness

Hello. I'm somewhat new to champions.. I played a while back in high school, but that was a long time ago.

I'm not sure if this is the right area to be asking this or not, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

On reading the rules for multipower attacks:

I'm creating a character for a PBEM (An alien gladiator named Squidimus) with multiple limbs (as many tenticles as he needs to extrude), stretching and martial arts; Can I martial strike as many opponents I can reach when my turn comes up as long as I can pay the end? Or am I completely misreading this?

Also. Can anyone help me thing of a better name than Squidimus?

Re: Newish to the game, have a question.

Okay, Squidimus is perhaps the worst name I've heard for some time, is it a series campaign or a comedy run?

No, having more limbs does not give you more attacks.

You can simulate that power several ways if you like.

A Selective Area Effect attack with the same amount of dice as you biggest attck would be one avenue you could explore. You could link that to your stretching if you like.

You could buy penalty skill levels v sweep penalties.

You could perhaps buy it as an autofire naked advantage on your Strength...

Speak to your GM.

Welcome btw,

Al

There is a collision of terminology that can be hard to get a handle on at first. I am summarizing these. For more detail see the relevant 5ER pages or the Combat Handbook.

1. Multiple Power Attacks

This is using more than one power against a single target and can include maneuvers if appropriate.

Relevance to Squidimus (aka Kal A Mar-i): Because you have multiple limbs, you could easily Grab (and squeeze, throw, deflect, whatever) and Attack. So, pick up the target and while you are squeezing him you could bite him with your beak or slash him with those scratchy bits on on the end of your tentacles.

2. Multipowers

This allows you to define, essentially, a single power that can be use in multiple ways - like a gun with a selector switch for different modes of fire.

Relevance to Squidimus (aka Cephlomaximus): You could define all the neat things you could do with your tentacles as a multipower.

a) Get over here!: stretching

B) Multislap: autofire on STR

c) Massive Grab: AE entangle

d) Flailing: AE on STR (flailing slaps, or multiple grabs)

e) Tripping: Change Environment (DEX roll or fall down

f) and so on...

3. Multiple Attacks

Multiple attacks are achieved, fundamentally, by having high SPD. If your GM allows it, you could buy SPD only for purposes of using your tentacles (-1/2 or so). Ideally there you would buy twice your base speed or some other value that gives a nice full action/tentacle action pattern tot he speed chart.

Sweep is a maneuver that also allows for multiple attacks. However, you are at 1/2 DCV and suffer -2 cumulative penalty on the total number of attacks greater than 1 (i.e. 4 attacks is -6 to each attack). If you miss one, you miss any subsequent attacks (it is considered a single attack that targets multiple enemies). You can buy "Two Weapon Fighting" and if your GM allows just rename it - it essentially makes the DCV penalty -2 and offsets -2 of the attack penalty. This is a full phase action. More or less "Two Weapon Fighting" is built as Penalty Skill levels to offset the Sweep penalties.

Rapid Attack will make a sweep a half phase action.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of ways to attack a target more than once in a single phase, depending on what you are trying/willing to do.

Indeed, I cut my teeth on 4th edition, and all the new terminology from 5th editon is confusing.

To make myself clearer, I don't want to punch one person five times - I understand the application of autofire to strength, and it's very expensive ENDwise --What I want is for him (it?) to be able to punch five different guys once, at the same time.

If I understand correctly, the best -- and least expensive -- way to do this is to buy Penalty Skill Levels to offset sweep, correct?

I have a large collection of the older books, but the only new book I have access to is the 5th edition hardback.

You can purchase a Sweep Attack PSL to hit five guys at once - that example is in the book, in fact, when... some character goes against a bunch of thugs. So there's that option.

You can purchase an Autofire HA attack, "Shadow Fist," and use it to light up guys in a line in a limited range; you can also purchase all the groovy Autofire advantages for that as well, but it's GMO as to whether you can AF an attack AND use it in that fashion. You can pick up a bus and Spread your STR across multiple victims.

There are a number of ways to hit multiple guys at once; this is HERO. It isn't just one way, Sweep, it's a bunch of ways.

Okay. Here we go. Please be gentle, this is the 1st character I've made in nearly twelve years.

Squidimus

30 STR 20
26 DEX 48
15 CON 10
15 BDY 10
17 INT  7
13 EGO  6
20 PRE 10
5  COM -2
12 PD   6
12 ED   9
6  SPD 24
10 REC  2
46 END  8
40 STN  2

10 Defense Maneuver 1-4
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Contortionist 14-
3 Climbing 14-
5 Rapid Attack
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 14-
2 TF:Spacecraft

Squid-Fu
4 Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 12d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 +v/5, Target Falls
3 Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 60 STR for holding on
4 Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 65 STR vs. Grabs
4 Martial Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 60 STR to Disarm
16+4 HTH Damage Classes

17 Ink Cloud:  Darkness to Sight  Group 4" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), No Range (-1/2), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)
16 Aquaticly Adapted:  Swimming +8" (10" total) (x4 Noncombat), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (16 Active Points)
8 Aquaticly Adapted:  Life Support  (Expanded Breathing; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)
12 Rubbery Skin:  Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED)
6 Tentecles:  Extra Limbs  (8), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)
25 Active Sonar (Hearing Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees)
16 Stretching 4" (20 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Tentecles only; -1/4)
8 Penalty Skill Levels:  +4 vs. sweep penalties to with a tight group of attacks (Martial Arts)

15 Physical Limitation:  Unfamiler with earth culture. (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation:  Limited manipulation. Tenticles not made for using earth-type objects (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Distinctive Features:  Slimy alien squid-thing. (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5 Dependence:  Water Takes 1d6 Damage (Very Common, 1 Hour)
20 Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Heat/Fire (Common)
15 Psychological Limitation:  Enjoys Fighting (Common, Strong)
15 Hunted:  Ordo Malleus 11- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
10 Social Limitation:  Public Identity (Frequently, Minor)
5 Unluck: 1d6
15 Psychological Limitation:  Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation:  Homesick (Uncommon, Strong)
15 Watched:  U.S. Department of Alien Affairs 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

I was pointed to a program called hero designer to help, but I haven't regisitered it yet, so I had to copy/past all the info out of the demo version. :)

Okay. Here we go. Please be gentle, this is the 1st character I've made in nearly twelve years.

I was pointed to a program called hero designer to help, but I haven't regisitered it yet, so I had to copy/past all the info out of the demo version. :)

Hey looks good!

I only saw a couple of issue. First, he's a fast demi-brick, afaict.

His defenses (12 PD and 12 ED) seem a little low to me. Maybe this is how you envision him, but for an up front fighter, he may be spending a lot of time aborting to Dodge.

Some of his powers, after the squid-fu, could be put into an Elemental Control to save points. His Darkness power looks like it might need "only in water" but maybe not. For a superhero, he could probably use more swimming: 12" to 24" wouldn't be unreasonable.

Also, please post up summary point totals (how many points into characteristics, how many points in powers, how many points of disadvantages, etc.) so we can see a little more clearly what's going on.

Over all: :thumbup:

Squidimus

30 STR 20

26 DEX 48

15 CON 10

15 BDY 10

17 INT 7

13 EGO 6

20 PRE 10

5 COM -2

12 PD 6

12 ED 9

6 SPD 24

10 REC 2

46 END 8

40 STN 2

Just from a "point break" perspective, you should either drop your INT to 13 or raise it to 18. Since you didn't bump up any of your INT-based skills, I'd go for the drop. If you're really attached to the idea of a bright Squidimus, just remember that the base for norms isn't 10 - that's for heroic types - it's 8; that means you're already pretty darn sharp.

10 Defense Maneuver 1-4

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Contortionist 14-

3 Climbing 14-

5 Rapid Attack

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 14-

2 TF:Spacecraft

Squid-Fu

4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 12d6 Strike

3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 +v/5, Target Falls

3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 60 STR for holding on

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 65 STR vs. Grabs

4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 60 STR to Disarm

16+4 HTH Damage Classes

17 Ink Cloud: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), No Range (-1/2), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

16 Aquaticly Adapted: Swimming +8" (10" total) (x4 Noncombat), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (16 Active Points)

8 Aquaticly Adapted: Life Support (Expanded Breathing; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)

12 Rubbery Skin: Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED)

6 Tentecles: Extra Limbs (8), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)

25 Active Sonar (Hearing Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees)

16 Stretching 4" (20 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Tentecles only; -1/4)

8 Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. sweep penalties to with a tight group of attacks (Martial Arts)

Consider having most of these in an EC with GM's Permission, since several don't have END costs. I'd make Ink Cloud work only in water, and then see if I could buy an in-air Flash version, but that's my own vision leaking onto this. Possibly make Active Sonar work only in water, too.

15 Physical Limitation: Unfamiler with earth culture. (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Limited manipulation. Tenticles not made for using earth-type objects (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Distinctive Features: Slimy alien squid-thing. (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Dependence: Water Takes 1d6 Damage (Very Common, 1 Hour)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Heat/Fire (Common)

15 Psychological Limitation: Enjoys Fighting (Common, Strong)

15 Hunted: Ordo Malleus 11- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

10 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Minor)

5 Unluck: 1d6

15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Homesick (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Watched: U.S. Department of Alien Affairs 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

Distinctive Features: possibly go for Extreme reaction - or not.

Dependence: you probably won't know this, but you can make a power build that negates a Disadvantage, in this case a 5 point "power" that serves as a "dry suit", allowing Squidimus to remain wet at all times, if a tad snug.

Other than what I mentioned above, it looks a decent, somewhat vanilla build. Nice work dude.

Just from a "point break" perspective, you should either drop your INT to 13 or raise it to 18. Since you didn't bump up any of your INT-based skills, I'd go for the drop. If you're really attached to the idea of a bright Squidimus, just remember that the base for norms isn't 10 - that's for heroic types - it's 8; that means you're already pretty darn sharp.

That nets me a few points.

Consider having most of these in an EC with GM's Permission, since several don't have END costs. I'd make Ink Cloud work only in water, and then see if I could buy an in-air Flash version, but that's my own vision leaking onto this. Possibly make Active Sonar work only in water, too.

Ixnay on the EC. I checked, no go. I don't really have the points to have both an in air and in water version, so I went for a build that should work in both.

Distinctive Features: possibly go for Extreme reaction - or not.

Dependence: you probably won't know this, but you can make a power build that negates a Disadvantage, in this case a 5 point "power" that serves as a "dry suit", allowing Squidimus to remain wet at all times, if a tad snug.

Other than what I mentioned above, it looks a decent, somewhat vanilla build. Nice work dude.

What power build would that be?