Slumming it: Champions/Dark Champions Game

JmOz

I posted here, might have been more appropriate in the champs area, but I felt this was better.

The idea is simple. As we all know everyonce in a while a Champions character will come and visit a Dark Champions game (look at Punisher War Journal right now). When it happens the champions character usualy gets less capable.

So the game is simple, your GM runs two games, a Champions game and a Dark Champions game that share a same universe. The DC is what is currently called a Dark Champions: Hudson City Powers style campeign. You normaly work on the meeting day for the DC game but you have the week off, as such you are going to get to play. Because you normaly work you and the GM have decided to just have you rewrite your normal character and have him visit, but you need to rewrite him for the campeign standards. The GM is being really nice saying that you can use up to 25 points of xp you have earn on your normal character (Most of the other PC are sitting at around that level of xp as well)

So using the normal guidelines for DC: HCP (or low powered Supers) let's see your champs characters revisited

Re: Slumming it: Champions/Dark Champions Game

Tiger is a 250 point Teen Champions character. He could work as is.

Astroman would be inappropriate.

Assault would work well. He was a "Hero for Hire" for a while. I'd just knock his strength and defences down a bit. Luke Cage was one of his original inspirations, so bringing him back to that level wouldn't be a major drama.

i guess I should post mine

Marksman: I would probably either tone down the quiver (in yeild and variety), probably need to tone down some of his skills as well. Lower dex & speed some, probably int (down to an 18) some as well

Nice idea. I've often said that Heroes have several character write ups, including one for their solo title and one for team books. That's why a villain can be a fair match for Superman or Thor in the hero's solo title and at the same time be more powerful than the entire JLA/Avangers in the team books. Also, all Heroes should get a Villain write up that's at least 33% more powerful for Hero Turns Evil plot arcs.

:D

Rep to you when I can.

As to my guys:

Style In a Dark Champions game with magic, he stays the same. but all of his spells cap off at the campaign caps for good guy spell casters and acquire any required limits. He becomes John Constantine. In a No Magic Dark Champions game, he becomes a pulp style occult debunking detective.

Flesh Gordon - Loses the Super Strength and regen, and his history becomes a psychotic break caused by his experiences as a POW.

Nice idea. I've often said that Heroes have several character write ups, including one for their solo title and one for team books. That's why a villain can be a fair match for Superman or Thor in the hero's solo title and at the same time be more powerful than the entire JLA/Avangers in the team books. Also, all Heroes should get a Villain write up that's at least 33% more powerful for Hero Turns Evil plot arcs.

Rep to you when I can.

As to my guys:

Style In a Dark Champions game with magic, he stays the same. but all of his spells cap off at the campaign caps for good guy spell casters and acquire any required limits. He becomes John Constantine. In a No Magic Dark Champions game, he becomes a pulp style occult debunking detective.

Flesh Gordon - Loses the Super Strength and regen, and his history becomes a psychotic break caused by his experiences as a POW.

Thanks, as I said above the idea is a DC:TAS with powers campeign so definatly magic left on Style, this is going great, lets keep it up...

Shaft looks at me funny and reminds me that he IS a Dark Champions character. He'd have gladly traded in the handcuff arrow and boxing glove arrow, had he even had any in the first place...

Mr E, a Superman type, sighs and gives up his wide range of mighty not-quite-Kryptonian powers and trades them in for a dose of non-replicable Super Soldier formula.

Soulbarb is a Dark Champions character by nature. I just whip out an appropriate writeup for whatever point level the game is at. At 250 points, she's probably a teen, while at 350+ points, she's either at university or has recently graduated from university.

Sylph would require more extensive re-writing; the basic concept would still work but she'd be more traumatized by her origin and the wildness of her maenad form would have more of a negative impact than it does in her current four-colour game.

Characters for this particular thread:

Low Rent -- A brawler of a hero with a few points of damage resistance (can shrug off a knife but not most bullets), slightly superhuman abilities for running and leaping, slow regeneration power (stepped down to every hour for time interval), UV vision and some home-built thrash armor for added protection. Carries a few low tech gadgets (like ball bearings to throw, brass knuckles for brawling and a hook and line for swinging) and has personal knowledge of the criminal underworld and the area he protects (Lower Downtown in Bay City).

The Thorn -- Another low tech brawler who has a superhuman skills set for acting, disguise and stealth. His trick was getting inside a criminal organization and turning its members upon each other, then mopping up the survivors. Had a habit of leaving rose thorns on the people he dealt with personally.

Crystal -- An adaptation of the Claire Vosser character from Normals Unbound (4th Ed.) that employed street magic and a few low-powered magical weapons and relics to fight crime. Her favorite tactic was to toss flash powder into a gang of baddies and use the covering smoke to smite the crooks with a magical staff.

Lifeforce -- One of my favorite street-level supers with the ability to manipulate the life energies of himself and others. His most feared attack was the ability to inflict debilitating pain with his touch, though he could also heal people and cause spontaneous plant growth. One of his battles ended when he caused spontaneous growth of mold to which the villain was allergic.

Man-Cat -- Yeah, a multiform type along the lines of Jaguar (4th Ed. Champions), but he could also communicate and command the legions of stray cats in the city, so he literally had eyes and ears everywhere...

Matt "Fuzzy-memories" Frisbee

I definately agree!

My character The Wraith, that I haven't been able to play in eons :rolleyes: , is a martial artist/gadgeteer who has a "living" bullet proof cape and fights with high tech billy clubs, would just have to adjust the active points and damage classes of everything to fit the parameters of the new campaign and he is ready to go.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I already tackled Soulbarb and Sylph above, assuming I had to adjust the tone of the character as well as the power level; i.e. Soulbarb @ 250 has a very different (and darker) feel than Soulbarb @ 350.

For the sake of argument, supposing I had to drop power level for Sylph but keep the feel / personality of the character intact... the easiest thing to do would be to say (for whatever reason) her Maenad aspect won't come out to play for that session. That should get her to around 250 points but keep her personality mostly the same. Of course, she's still got a very 4-colour attitude which might not play all that well in a Dark Champions game.

Some other characters I'm currently playing:

Beastwarden is an animal shapeshifter built on 350. He has a very 4-color attitude (though not as much as Sylph) and as such he doesn't really fit in a Dark Champions game; however, his DNPC (Glaive) does, and is built to the right points level. I might bring her instead. Alternatively, I suppose I could just drop his animal multiform and leave him as a detective/shaman... the only problem is he's not very useful in combat without his multiform. I couldn't very well keep the multiform in a 250-point game, though -- it'd be far too much work to convert all his animal form writeups to that level. Still, if the GM doesn't mind him not being terribly useful in combat and is prepared for him to contribute in other ways, that could work out.

Revenant is easy. He's already built on about 250 points. He's a hard-boiled pulp detective in a supers setting. (He also happens to be dead, but it hasn't stopped him so far.) He should transition to a Dark Champions game as is with barely a ripple.

Ruin, at 400 points, is for what amounts to a quite high-powered Dark Champions game already. For a lower-powered game, he has a big-ol-VPP of Wuxia chi powers and superskills that he could drop. That would turn him into a fairly generic martial artist, though, which would certainly hurt the feel of the character. I'd be more inclined to rework his VPP so it's about 1/2 to 1/3 the size it currently is, remove some of the higher-powered slots, and reduce characteristics and other stats accordingly. That would take some work. On the upside, his personality and motivations can handle the adjustment pretty much unchanged.