HEROic Werewolves (not WoD)

Michael Hopcroft

Sometimes something comes along that seems really weird, but looks like it wuld be fun to play around in. I was recently referred to a webcomic called "Peter is the Wolf" (the comic itself is largely NSFW, so I won't link to it right away), which posed some interesting ideas for a campaign with PC lycanthropes.

The story is about a teenage werewolf whose hormones have gotten him into trouble -- he's accidentally infected his human girlfriend with lycanthropy, and now if she does anything that threatens the pack they're both under sentence of death. So now he's responsible for teaching her how to survive as a werewolf -- all while mysterious forces are trying to track him down (and he has no idea why).

More interesting from an RPG perspective is thw sort of "rules" these werewolves live by:

1. Most werewolves are born that way, and trained from birth to control their transformation (which can occur anytime, not just at the full moon). Lycanthropy can also be transmitted by any exchange of bodily fluids (which is how Peter ended up infecting Connie -- nobody told him how importantt a condom is). They usually "go were" when severely stressed -- and, if you haven't learned self-control, anything stressful could set you off.

2. When in were form, you are usually more animalistic in your behaviors but you are still basically ethical -- you won't become murderous, for example, unless you were normally that way. Usually, weres will only associate with weres outside their immediately families in emergencies or during "The Howl": a monthly full-moon festival where all a community's werewolves get together, socialize and run around behaving like wolves.

3. As mentioned, a werewolf is responsible for the behavior of any "thrall" (a person who becomes a werewolf through their actions) until the thrall has proven they can handle the transformation without endangering everyone. If they fail, both the thrall and their "creator" are under sentence of death (referred to as "the silver bullet"). The creation of a thrall is so rare that many weres would choose to impose the death sentence simply because the thrall exists -- they are considered that serious a threat to the survival of the community.

4. Very few others know that werewolves exist, and the werewolves like it that way. While a werewolf is no more likely to kill someone than anybody else is, most people would not see it that way if they knew werewolves were real. There are some people who know about, and cooperate with, the weres almost by necessity (the local thrift store operator counts them as her best customers, because a werewolf alway needs cheap clothing for emergencies).

This leads to a question about the sort of a campaign where PC "monsters" are trying to protect their secrets from a world that does not understand them and thus seeks their destruction.

• 7 months later...

Re: HEROic Werewolves (not WoD)

The whole concept of a werewolf is a awesome concept. Trying to

define the whole procedure for infection and first conversion to the

'beast' and those effects would be awesome to work out. I guess

I would take a darker view on the plot line and what it means to

be a werewolf. I'd be willing to take a 'bite' at designing that up.

I could use the whole werewolf infection plot idea in a idea I am

working on for a setting for PAH.

Penn:thumbup:

Sounds like a good idea. I bet Pete's blond girlfriend would have a 30-40 STR at the very least!

And, like the Hulk it goes up the angrier, more terrified and/or hornier she gets. (Being a were in that world doesn't necessarily make you a sex maniac, but it certainly doesn't get in the way.)

Mathew Ignash created a large number of Package Deals for various fantasy, sci-fi, and RPG races, on his fine website, Matt's Champions Page, including lycanthropes from various sources. Perhaps some of the elements from those would be useful to you.

Lycanthrope, Werewolf (AD&D style)

Lycanthrope, Werewolf (Palladium style)

Lycanthrope, Werewolf (Underworld style)

actually, it sounds alot like Werewolf: the Forsaken (the new World of Darkness version of Apocalypse) with the exception of the transmission via body fluids thing. i know you said not WoD, and i understand that, but if you haven't checked out W:tF, you may find it conversion worthy, at least. if you haven't checked it out, you may even like it.

if not, well, thats understandable too!

and yes, werewolves are awesome (W:tF is my fav nonHERO game, followed my M:tA and base WoD Mortals), and the stories they enable are very cool.

Interesting ideas. I will have to read this comic when I get home.

1. Most werewolves are born that way, and trained from birth to control their transformation (which can occur anytime, not just at the full moon). Lycanthropy can also be transmitted by any exchange of bodily fluids (which is how Peter ended up infecting Connie -- nobody told him how importantt a condom is).

3. ...The creation of a thrall is so rare that many weres would choose to impose the death sentence simply because the thrall exists -- they are considered that serious a threat to the survival of the community.

(just thinking out loud, bear with me) It sounds like there are two components that together cause Lycanthropy. Since most werewolves are born into it, there is some genetic component -- something that is passed down from parent to child via conception. For a thrall to be "created" via an exchange of "bodily fluids" there must be something other than DNA that can be passed from one person to another, to act as a catalyst. For a child born of a werewolf, both happen automatically. however, for an outsider, it is rare for a thrall to be created. It almost sounds like the thrall would have to have some minimum amount of werewolf genetic material in their DNA for the exchanged fluids to activate. Kind of like what the old-WoD Werewolf called a "kinfolk" (sorry, haven't read the new-WoD version, so I do not know if they have a similar concept).

It would be interesting to learn if all birth-weres are born of were mothers (heh, weremothers), or if a normal mommy and a werewolf father (not going for that joke twice in a row) can also produce a little monster. It would make sense that children born of normal mothers would not automatically become werewolves, but would have the potential. That would also cause the werewolves to discourage such unions for the potential danger that they represent.

This leads to a question about the sort of a campaign where PC "monsters" are trying to protect their secrets from a world that does not understand them and thus seeks their destruction.

I guess from a game perspective my first question would be, "what is the underlying goal of playing in this universe?" In the old-WoD, the Werewolves had a cause to champion, however futile it may have been. Ir is it just a kind of inverse survival horror, with hordes of normal people instead of zombies to avoid. Sorry if this is obvious from reading the comic -- as I said, I will look it up when I get home tonight.

As an aside, I assume that werewolves generally do not drive, or they would be outed when one (or several) of them couldn't handle the frustrations of the license branch. :)

well, since last i checked, makin babies involves swappin fluids, mommy will become were, and then baby will be born as such. actually what it seems like is a STD, but viral, like HIV. that would explain both ways of becoming one.

and yes, nWoD has kinfolk. they are called wolf-blooded :).