HERO in the courtroom!

buzz

Well, the jury room at least. I've been on federal jury duty the last four days and had been bringing my copy of 5ER to read on the train and during downtime. The following ensued.

Juror: "Wow. That's a really big book. What is it?"

Me: "It's a rulebook for a game."

Other Juror: "What kind of game?"

Me: "A roleplaying game, like Dungeons & Dragons."

Juror: "Like, on the computer?"

Me: "No, you play it in person, with a board and little figures."

Other Juror: "That WHOLE BOOK is rules?"

Me: "Yeah. No surprise it was written by a lawyer, right? Hehe."

:crickets:

Further comments ensued a la, "Are you going to have that all memorized when you're done with it?"

I figured Steve might get a kick out of this. :)

Re: HERO in the courtroom!

Thats a pretty amusing story.

The amazing thing (or is it sad?....I think a bit of both) is that a lot of us around here have most, if not all of the rules pretty much memorized. We simply check the book from time to time to confirm what we pretty much already know....

How come I couldn't do that in school? I woulda had a scholarship to Yale!

For all the quibbles, Hero is basically a logical and consistent structure, whereas 'the law' is a writhing mass of constantly changing and often poorly thought out and contradictory ideas for dealing with badly misunderstood social problems, the causes of which are often obscure, and spiced with input from self interested legislators trying to make a big point and score some political mileage.

Yeah.

Well.

Anyway, I love Hero.

How come I couldn't do that in school? I woulda had a scholarship to Yale!

That came up, too. It's also a comment I've heard a few times before w/r/t the labor-intensity of many mainstream RPGs, i.e., "You worked harder twinking out that elf ranger than you did on your senior thesis." :)

Because the part of our brain that tells us we're having fun is ALSO the part of our brain that enables us to learn. In other words, you learn far more by having fun than you do by "trying" to learn. That's why English concepts and priciples were always automatic, because I love writing, and Science took forever. Primarily because I don't care about science outside of application to game.

Because the part of our brain that tells us we're having fun is ALSO the part of our brain that enables us to learn. In other words' date=' you learn far more by having fun than you do by "trying" to learn. That's why English concepts and priciples were always automatic, because I love writing, and Science took forever. Primarily because I don't care about science outside of application to game.[/quote']

That is why I've always advocated being instructed by naked atractive sex objects....it improves retention! (and nobody skips class....like I constantly did...)

I should note, though, that my ability to absorb science and current technology has soared since taking on the sci-fi game. It's really been fantastic; I have almost a year's worth of Intro to Physics theory under my belt already, as well as a semester of Practical Current & Future Applications. I've studied Rail Guns, Orbital Elevators, Magnetics, LASER technology - oh, it's been great. Absolutely great. My love for learning is directly connected by my passion for the subject material.

Don't care? Won't learn, won't do, won't bother. Care? Well. People are surprised what I can accomplish when I expend a little effort. ;)

Yeah' date=' I've had a few non-gamers run across my HERO book and ask what it is, and they are similarly floored at the thought of that being a book of rules to a game.[/quote']

Sure enough. Mind you, I've had non-gamers express disbelief that a copy of TWERPS could be a book of rules, so people's tolerance for mechanics can be pretty low.

So who made their PS: Lawyer skill roll by more in the Skill vs. Skill contest?

One presumes such wonderful complimentary skill rolls as Persuasion and Oratory having been used ... ;)

The prosecution, though the defense had major penalties due to a) a lack of of a credible defense, and 2) the primary attorney's "Distinctive Features: Used car salesman from Durham" disad.