Building a Giant: the Checklist

SSgt Baloo

I've always enjoyed having one or more giant characters (mostly NPCs) in my campaigns, where appropriate. Unless I misread 5ER, they discourage you from using "Growth, Zero END, Always On" to represent a character who is inherently huge. Instead, you should buy all the different "bits" separately. It would have been helpful if they had provided a checklist or example that showed how.

So... What would Your build-a-giant-character checklist look like?

Re: Building a Giant: the Checklist

1. Eat more Cheesy Poofs.

2. Bulk up with Weight Gain 4000.

3. Try to find a mad scientist or something.

4. Practice rampaging for when I get bigger.

5. Get some looser clothing, rampaging nekid sucks.

6. Eat some more Cheesy Poofs.

7. Build a model of downtown with Legos and practice rampaging more.

8. Put an add in the paper for wanting to join a villain group.

9. Check local maps for a desolate area or wilderness where it'll be easy to hide out.

10. Eat more Cheesy Poofs.

9. Check local maps for a desolate area or wilderness where it'll be easy to hide out.

What a cool superhero origin! :)+

Physical Limitation (2 to 25 pts depending on size)

BODY (that matches growth bonus)

STR (that matches growth bonus)

Knockback Resistance (that matches growth bonus)

Reach (that matches growth bonus)

The actual checklists are easier to work with and have been referenced above. You also, depending on concept, might want to add a naked power advantage for Area Effect (One Hex) to all hand-to-hand attacks depending on character size and concept.

So repped.

Size Templates:

Hero System Bestiary p26-27

Fifth Ed. Revised p574-575

The Ultimate Brick p38-39

checklists are provided actually.

[Homer Simpson]

Doh!!

[/Homer Simpson]

It still sez nothing about area effects for hands & feet, though. I suppose I could just measure my own and extrapolate. Does anyone know of a website that lists biometrics of this sort (hand/foot length & width)?

gojira: Thanks! I'll get right on it. If my local store doesn't stock Cheezy Poofs® can I substitute Cheetos™ instead?

Remember that, with giants, almost every single action can be an accidental "move through" attack. Rubbish bins and small signs along with loose pavement or gravelled pathways tend go go wizzing around with shrapnel like effects. Most people don't bother with those, but, when I'm feeling really, really mean and the testosterone is rising.... You should try it. Add it to the character sheet... go on, just be evil.

Physical Limitation (2 to 25 pts depending on size)

BODY (that matches growth bonus)

STR (that matches growth bonus)

Knockback Resistance (that matches growth bonus)

Reach (that matches growth bonus)

The actual checklists are easier to work with and have been referenced above.....

(that matches growth bonus)

Or you could do something even easier; use Growth, Persistant, and if necessary Always On. I never knew it to hurt anyone's game before the current regime, nor any game since in which people are willing to shrug at and ignore a rule that doesn't seem to do much but complicate the game unnecessarily.

But if you want to be "book legal" other people have already pointed out where the checklists are.

Lucius Alexander

and a growing palindromedary

It still sez nothing about area effects for hands & feet, though.

It has absolutely no game effect. If you want a character to be able to affect an area with his hands or feet, you have to buy Area Of Effect for his STR as a naked Advantage -- that's way too useful a power to receive "for free," whether from using a Size Template or Growth. You can find example powers on a bunch of published characters (such as Gargantua in CKC) or in the sample powers sections of UB, UMM, and similar books. :hex:

Or you could do something even easier; use Growth, Persistant, and if necessary Always On. I never knew it to hurt anyone's game before the current regime, nor any game since in which people are willing to shrug at and ignore a rule that doesn't seem to do much but complicate the game unnecessarily.

I really don't understand why that was gotten rid of...

I find building Growth characters to be prohibitively expensive under the new rules.

EDIT: I mean always grown characters, of course.

I find building Growth characters to be prohibitively expensive under the new rules.

It is because they are easier to build and less complicated on paper.

I mean, if you wanted to build a Paper Giant it would be Growth, Always On and then selling STR and Knockback Resistance back. And even then the powers aren't naturally inherent. On the sheet, you write your characters base STR and then the STR when you add in the Growth. Repeat for BODY. The Physical Limitation makes it your natural state as well. So you don't have to worry about a Dispel or Drain taking away all of your bonuses at once and taking away your size.

5 levels Growth, 0 END, Persistent, Always On, Inherent costs 50 x 2.25/1.5 = 75 points. [Don't forget Inherent - that size is a natural state, so it shouldn't be Suppressed, right?]

I don't have my books with me - what's the bonus for 1 level of Growth? +5 STR no Figured, +5 BOD and some Reach, correct? Price it out.

Buy your STR normally and sell back the extra STUN for an added cost benefit and keep the extra REC and PD. COST: 25 - 12 = 13

Buy your BOD and sell back the extra STUN: Cost 10 - 5 = 5

So far, I see all of 18 points spent.

Stretching costs 5 per 1", with 0 END, persistent, inherent making that 25 points for +5" 56 points instead. It has no damage adder (-1/4? -1/2?) and no non-combat multiplier (-1/4), so that drops the cost to 37 at most.

-5" Knockback resistance adds another 15 points. Make it Inherent and that's 19 points.

That's 74 points in total, and you offset some of that with a physical limitation for your unusual size.

What have I missed that makes Growth, Always On such a superior deal?

5 levels Growth' date=' 0 END, Persistent, Always On, Inherent costs 50 x 2.25/1.5 = 75 points. [Don't forget Inherent - that size is a natural state, so it shouldn't be Suppressed, right?']

I don't have my books with me - what's the bonus for 1 level of Growth? +5 STR no Figured, +5 BOD and some Reach, correct? Price it out.

Buy your STR normally and sell back the extra STUN for an added cost benefit and keep the extra REC and PD. COST: 25 - 12 = 13

Buy your BOD and sell back the extra STUN: Cost 10 - 5 = 5

So far, I see all of 18 points spent.

Stretching costs 5 per 1", with 0 END, persistent, inherent making that 25 points for +5" 56 points instead. It has no damage adder (-1/4? -1/2?) and no non-combat multiplier (-1/4), so that drops the cost to 37 at most.

-5" Knockback resistance adds another 15 points. Make it Inherent and that's 19 points.

That's 74 points in total, and you offset some of that with a physical limitation for your unusual size.

What have I missed that makes Growth, Always On such a superior deal?

Hmm, on second thought you're probably right. Part of the issue is that I personally almost never, ever, ever, ever use Inherent.

I think the advantage of Growth, 0 END, Always On, is that everything's already been done for you except the math. The recommended way of building grown characters who are inherently huge is just a different way of doing it. In my own campaigns I'd leave it open as an option.

I think the advantage of Growth' date=' 0 END, Always On[/i'], is that everything's already been done for you except the math. The recommended way of building grown characters who are inherently huge is just a different way of doing it. In my own campaigns I'd leave it open as an option.

As pointed out earlier, it would have to be Inherent and Persistent as well according to the new rules.

I agree it's just easier to do it in the old way -- I'm big, here's what it gets me, no need to do the extra math and time on other stuff like Stretching. IMO.

I think the advantage of Growth' date=' 0 END, Always On[/i'], is that everything's already been done for you except the math. The recommended way of building grown characters who are inherently huge is just a different way of doing it. In my own campaigns I'd leave it open as an option.

I counter that with:

20d6 Dispel Growth

I counter that with:

20d6 Dispel Growth

No you wouldn't. For three reasons.

1. Inherent.

2. It violates dramatic and/or common sense.

3. What hat did you pull a "Dispel Growth" power out of??

Lucius Alexander

Dispell Palindromedary!

3. What hat did you pull a "Dispel Growth" power out of??

Lucius Alexander

That would be the hat known as the Variable Power Pool...

Yeah, as soon as I posted the question I realized that was the most likely hat.

Adjiustment Powers may be defined to work against a specific Power or Sepecial Effect. Dispel: Growth is legal.

I don’t question it’s mechanical legality; of course it’s within the rules. I was questioning its SFX justification.

And while we’re at it; assuming you have an appropriate hat to pull it out of and a reasonable SFX, can you tell me why it should work on someone with Growth as a persistant power, but NOT work on someone built with a “size template?”

My question cuts both ways, really.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that questions usually do, and can we go out and buy a couple of hats?