Gadgets...GADGETS!!!

Grimble

I'm outfitting several supervillian teams at the moment. One is a magic item wielding group with a few spell-users. Another is a super-tech gadeteer team. I'm slowing down on different ideas for gadets and foci.

I'm putting out the call for any and all cool gadgets and magic items you've given villians in your games. I need an infussion of fresh ideas.

Thanks, in advance.

Grimble

Re: Gadgets...GADGETS!!!

My all time favorite gadget is from the old 4th ed Gadgets book. The item is a pair of rocket skates. That was back when, if you bought it, you could control it. Buy them with a Requires Rocket Skates Skill Roll and watch as the hilarity ensues in what will forever forward be know as The Couples Skate Incident.

Let's see, villain gadgets... Remember villain gadgets have to have flaws in them, else they will quickly become hero gadgets (although if they spend the points, why not?)

Jumping Stilts. Combination of stilts and pogo sticks makes the villian able to run faster and leap higher. 1" Stretching (legs only), +6" Running @ 0 END, +5" Superleap. Users are 1/2 DCV unless they have either Acrobatics or TF: Jumping Stilts.

Yo-Yo. Sure it is just a yo-yo, but in the hands of a skilled master, it is an amazing melee weapon. (Energy Blast with limited range, or Energy Blast, Area Effect, Hole-In-The-Middle)

The BFG. Requires two users. The barrel of this gun is roughly six feet long. Both users supply the energy (one is AIDing the other's attack) and combined with the Haymaker maneuver (which is required) makes an impressive attack against anything that doesn't get the heck out of the way.

Anyway, this might explain why my heroes are afraid of clowns. :eek:

A while back when thinking of gadgets for my VIPER goons to use, I just went through the powers list and thought of a gadget to simulate each power with. Might be a useful exercise for you too. Then make "advanced" versions of some with advantages and/or extra powers. The old-school Gadgets book and the newer Gadgets and Gear are useful for writeups and inspiration.

Like:

Desolidification: Inter-dimensional phase-shunt device, aka "Ghost Suit"

*well-armored suit - add +6/+6 Armor

*field-extender setting - add usable by others (simultaneous)

How about a few "techno-ninja" weapons? :cool:

-----------------------------------------------

Falcon Bow: Although it resembles a powerful modern repeating crossbow, the Falcon Bow is an even more sophisticated weapon. The bow and quarrels are made of composite materials which dampen the sounds of its use, and contain an active targeting and guidance system which, once locked onto a target, adjusts the quarrel's flight path to it. Together they make the Falcon Bow an exceptional sniping weapon.

The quarrels are fitted with either an armor-piercing head, or a fragmentation warhead. Users will often carry one clip of each type of ammunition which they can interchange as needed (with GM's permission).

RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing or Explosion (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Hearing Sense Group; +1/4) (67 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 Clips of 8 Charges Each (-1/4). Total Cost: 30 points.

Lightning Lash: This vicious weapon consists of a short (1 meter) length of supple metal cable attached to a heavy stock containing the power source, with a protective basket hilt. When swung at an opponent the cable releases an electrical charge on contact, at a frequency optimized to disrupt the target's nervous system. The result is violent and painful muscle spasms which tear the victim's tissues, and result in death after prolonged or repeated exposure.

A single charge will continue to affect a victim for several seconds, looking like tendrils of electricity writhing over his body. The charge can be dissipated by grounding the target with any conductor, such as a cable or metal pole.

Energy RKA 1d6, AVLD Does BODY Damage (defense is Power Defense or ED Force Field; +2 1/2), Continuous (+1), 16 Continuing Charges Lasting 1 Turn Each (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2). Total Cost: 30 points.

(Non-Lethal Variant: Remove the "Does BODY Damage" part of the AVLD Advantage, and substitute "+4 STUN Multiplier.")

Singing Stars: These shuriken-like throwing weapons contain small but powerful motors which give the stars tremendous rotational velocity, greatly enhancing their effective range and allowing them to penetrate most forms of protective armor. The motors produce a high-pitched whine which inspired the weapon's name.

Singing Stars come in two varieties. Small stars (about 3" in diameter) can be hurled up to three at once, at one or multiple targets. Large stars (4" across) have variable gyroscopic stabilizers allowing for "trick throws," such as over or around barriers or even arcing back to strike targets from behind.

Small Stars: RKA 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 24 Charges (+1/4) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 30 points.

Large Stars: RKA 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Indirect (always originates with character, but can attack from any angle; +1/2), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 30 points.

(Non-Lethal Variant: Change the RKA to 6d6 Normal Damage, and Penetrating to Armor Piercing. These could be blunt-edged throwing discs - "Dirge Discs?" ;) )

Thunder Sticks: Resembling bulky nunchakus, these weapons are wielded in a similar manner. However, the damage the Thunder Sticks do is the product of a series of shaped charges which detonate on impact with a solid object, in a powerful, deafening but tightly-focussed blast.

HKA 2d6, +4 Stun Multiplier (+1), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2) (total cost: 24 points) plus Hearing Group Flash 5d6, 16 Charges (+0) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 6 points). Total cost: 30 points.

Note: GMs who want a weapon with heavy stopping power can eliminate the Flash component and give the weapon a straight +6 STUN Multiplier for the same Active and Real Points.

(Non-Lethal Variant: Change the HKA and STUN Multiplier to a 6d6 Normal Damage Attack, NND [Hearing Sense Group Flash Defense], No Range, making the Thunder Sticks a wholly sonic-based attack.)

Whispering Sword: A brilliant marriage of modern technology with traditional swordcraft makes this wakizashi-like blade one of the deadliest hand-to-hand weapons known. Forged of advanced alloy, with an edge lazer-honed to near monomolecular thinness, the blade can cut through almost any material. The Whispering Sword's aerodynamic properties are so exceptional that it barely disturbs the air it passes through, making its stroke virtually noiseless.

Lightweight and superbly balanced, it's the keenness of the sword's edge, and the skill of its wielder, that determines the blade's damage; mere strength adds little.

HKA 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Hearing Sense Group; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2). Total Cost: 30 points.

I was just working on a utility belt for a hero. Here are the ideas that I came up with. (Most are 10 point ultra slots, so two can be equipped at a time.)

Utility Harness: 20 pt multipower; OIF (-1/2) (20 pt/13 pt)

(u) Airhypo of Endorphins: 2d6 healing to STUN; OAF (-1) (20 pt/1 pt)

(u) Airhypo of Nanosurgeons: 2d6 healing to BODY; OAF (-1) (20 pt/1 pt)

(u) Airhypo of Stimulant: 2d6 healing to END; OAF (-1) (20 pt/1 pt)

(u) Binoculars: +6 PER vs range mods w/ sight group; OAF (-1) (9 pt/1 pt)

(v) Grapple Line: 17" swinging; OAF (-1) (17 pt/1 pt)

(u) Hearing Protection: 10 pt flash defense (sound); OIF (-1/2) (10 pt/1 pt)

(u) IR Goggles: IR vision; OIF (-1/2) (5 pt/1 pt)

(u) Microscope: 1000x magnification; OAF (-1) (9 pt/1 pt)

(v) Parawing Glider: 17" gliding; OIF (-1/2) (17 pt/2 pt)

(u) Penlight: images, 1" radius; OAF (-1), only to create light (-1) (10 pt/1 pt)

(u) Polarized Goggles: 10 pt flash defense (sight); OIF (-1/2) (10 pt/1 pt)

(u) Rebreather: life support - independent air supply; OIF (-1/2) (10 pt/1 pt)

(v) SCUBA Flippers: +17" swimming; OIF (-1/2) (17 pt/2 pt)

(u) Shotgun Microphone: +10 PER vs range mods w/ normal hearing; OAF (-1) (10 pt/1 pt)

(u) SureGrip Gloves & Shoes: clinging; OIF (-1/2) (10 pt/1 pt)

(u) Truncheon: 3d6 HA; OAF (-1) (9 pt/1 pt)

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list. I haven't gotten around to working up details like the GPS, shaped charges, smoke pellets....

You've gotten some gadgets, but how about magic items disguised as everyday stuff (all IAF or IIF)? (Note: I'm doing this from work, don't have the book, so the costs may be off. If so, I apologize in advance.)

These normal-looking horn-rimmed glasses allow the user to see whether any item in the area is magical. They also can see the presence or use of magic.

Magic Glasses: Sense Magic at Range, IIF: 10 active, 8 real

This cellular flip-phone has a special feature: the ability to listen in on the thoughts of somebody else within line of sight. If desired, the user can also "send" thoughts by turning off the default "mute" feature and speaking into the phone.

Soul-ular Phone: 5d6 Telepathy, 0 END, IAF, Only to hear or send surface thoughts (-1/2) + 10d6 Telepathy, 0 END, IAF, Only for +30 Effect to make target unaware of telepathy (-1): 37 + 75 active, 18 + 30 = 48 real

(NOTE: Soul-ular phone use is still visible to mentalists. Also note: since most users won't be sending thoughts, the power has no Limitation for "Incantations".

By pulling out the stem on this antique analog (not digital) watch, the user can create an invisible spectral hand to mimic the actions of whichever hand is wearing the watch, affecting things at range.

Second-Hand Watch: Telekinesis (10 STR) with Fine Manipulation, Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group), Half END (2), IIF, Gestures Throughout: 44 active, 25 real

This ivory-handled blackwood cane is enchanted to not only strike for tremendous damage, but also temporarily ages the target (stealing his lifeforce) with each strike.

Old Walking Stick: +6d6 HtH, 0 END, OAF, HtH Attack. 45 Active, 18 real

=PLUS=

1d6 Transfer END and STUN (+1/2) to same, 0 END, OAF, Linked to HtH: 30 active, 12 real

For the magic item group, you could have a few members with specialties (change the names, please, I can't come up with anything good off the top of my head) such as:

The Alchemist, with his vast number of potions, oils, and powders;

Scrollworks, who in addition to stealing magical tomes, likes to leave written word puzzles at his crimes (on small parchment scrolls, naturally);

Ring Bearer, whose powers come from a collection of magical rings;

Wanda, who has a collection of wands and staffs mystically tuned to her (OIFs, returning to her automatically if she's disarmed);

Seer, whose crystal ball provides the group with vital information, and whose ghostly followers (each bound to her by a different charm on her bracelet) protect her and do her bidding.

This last I'd draw up as a multipower, with the ghosts as special effects and the END cost as her willpower controlling the spirits. For example:

Multipower (60), IAF Charm Bracelet / Bound Spirits

(u) Ghostly Touch: 4d6 NND, Indirect (any direction), Half END

(u) Poltergeist: 40 STR Telekinesis

(u) Possession: 12d6 Mind Control

(u) Ectoplasm: 3d6 Entangle, 1 hex area, Sticky

(u) Otherworldly Mist: 3" Darkness to Sight, Uncontrolled

(u) Bumps in the Night: Images to Hearing (-x to PER)

My all time favorite gadget is from the old 4th ed Gadgets book. The item is a pair of rocket skates. That was back when' date=' if you bought it, you could control it. Buy them with a Requires Rocket Skates Skill Roll and watch as the hilarity ensues in what will forever forward be know as The Couples Skate Incident.[/quote']

In the same vein, I made a gadget for a Girl Genius spark. It was Running Shoes, which required you to take a full move and had a deactivation roll. You turned them on, then realized you couldn't turn them off as you zoomed past where you wanted to go :D.

The Shepard: Wielder of the high tech Crook-Crook. A shepard's crook with various gadgets built in. Similar to Daredevil's stick, with room for extras.

Mary Mary: Explosive maids, Cockel Shell entangles and force walls, Silver bells triggering sonic attacks...

Granny Knitters: Animated sweaters, yarn monsters, scarves, etc. Knitting needle HKA...

Baby Boomers: Robotic babies programmed to explode....

Ebony and Ivory : A master pianist and his super-intelligent giant black bear compatriot. Ivory used trick/gadget pianos activated by playing the right keys in succession.

The Heavy Metal Marauder: Sonic attacks via electric guitar.