UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

TheQuestionMan

Re: UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

As a "Scary Movie" still campy thing it was pretty good.

I disagree. If you watch Scary Movie, you know exactly what they were making fun of. My inital comment in this thread was that I thought a lot of people on this thread missed the whole point of the book (if you've ever talked about the book and the topic of citizenship didn't come up, I'm probably talking to you). Well the makers of the movie seemed to have missed it too, even if they were just trying to make fun of it. The parts they were making fun of, had no relevance to the story. It would be like trying to make fun of the movie Lord of the Rings and just making fun of the fact that Aragorn rode a brown horse.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. If you watch Scary Movie' date=' you know exactly what they were making fun of. My inital comment in this thread was that I thought a lot of people on this thread missed the whole point of the book (if you've ever talked about the book and the topic of citizenship didn't come up, I'm probably talking to you). Well the makers of the movie seemed to have missed it too, even if they were just trying to make fun of it. The parts they were making fun of, had no relevance to the story. It would be like trying to make fun of the movie Lord of the Rings and just making fun of the fact that Aragorn rode a brown horse.[/quote']

I am very aware of the underlying beleifs that H would work into his stories. I also know what color of socks I am wearing and can spell my name ;)

The point is, if the show had never been named ST and the credits/promotion had never mentioned ST or H. The character names, the bugs and such would have immediately told me they were from ST. The shear stupidity of some of the scenes make it a slapstick comedy. I am secure enough in my understanding of the original novel that I can laugh at it. It is like when I have to watch a show like JAG or NCIS. It is so incredibly bad and removed from reality it is painful to watch. But I can laugh at it. I am sure that many people out there feel the same when they see a Hollywood version of what they do for a living.

As a shoot'em up bug squish movie it was good. Sean of the Dead was too, and the various zombie movies were good in their own way.

If the movie "Titanic" would have been named something else, anything else. It would have been an extremely well made romantic drama. The story centered around the love affair. But when they named it "Titanic" and promoted the "Titanic" angle in every commercial, I and everyone I knew expected it to be ABOUT the ship and the sinking with the whole De'crapeo and the girl being the token love bit. I remember grumbles and WTF from half the theater when it became apparent that the Titanic was just a stage backdrop and we were in for nothing but De'crapeo and the slut. Some people even walked out. After the opening day the audience became mostly teenage girls and couples. In my mind it will always be one of the worst movies ever made, because it was a switch and bait. Another one was "Pearl Harbor", only a small part of the entire movie actually took place in or involved Pearl. The movie was actually about a love triangle.

The bottom line is if I go into a restaurant, order and PAY for a steak. and when the meal arrives it is a lobster. The meal is crap. The lobster may be the best lobster in the world. But I didn't order lobster. I ordered steak.

If I ordered the surprise and got lobster carved into little steak shapes, it would be amusing and I would eat lobster.

I think I have lost my train of thought.......

;)

If the movie "Titanic" would have been named something else' date=' anything else. It would have been an extremely well made romantic drama. The story centered around the love affair. But when they named it "Titanic" and promoted the "Titanic" angle in every commercial, I and everyone I knew expected it to be ABOUT the ship and the sinking with the whole De'crapeo and the girl being the token love bit. I remember grumbles and WTF from half the theater when it became apparent that the Titanic was just a stage backdrop and we were in for nothing but De'crapeo and the slut. Some people even walked out. After the opening day the audience became mostly teenage girls and couples. In my mind it will always be one of the worst movies ever made, because it was a switch and bait. [/quote']

Strangely enough, though this bothered many people, I didn't find it annoying in the least. It was pretty apparent by the set-up (Heart of the Ocean) that this was going to be a fictional love story set against the backdrop of the Titanic disaster. It's like getting upset because somebody set a love story during WWII.

Keith "Oh, waitaminute..." Curtis

I think it's easier to accept the flaws in the movie when you have a cynical side about Hollywood. For the most part, the Hollywood producers don't create much original work. There were a couple of years of "let's re-invent a television show as a movie" coupled with "let's remake this movie." To make themselves feel "original" they mess with movies under the guise of "artistic license" which usually irks a lot of people; generally those that read. ;)

It's like getting upset because somebody set a love story during WWII.
On a funny side note' date=' I knew before going to see the movie that it wasn't going to be soley about Pearl Harbor (though, geez, not [i']that much[/i]) when the news media made a big deal about how the movie was being marketed 100% as a love story in Japan. The sneak attack and world war? Bah, just flavor. :cool:

Strangely enough, though this bothered many people, I didn't find it annoying in the least. It was pretty apparent by the set-up (Heart of the Ocean) that this was going to be a fictional love story set against the backdrop of the Titanic disaster. It's like getting upset because somebody set a love story during WWII.

Keith "Oh, waitaminute..." Curtis

Actually this is not the same. You are correct in that it was apparent by the HotO thing, though people held out a little longer just in case. and making a movie about a WWII love story isn't a problem either.

The problem is they already took the money for a service they did not provide. That is fraud. They advertised the "story of the Titanic" the delivered an fictional love story. When I ask for my money back 15 minutes into the movie, the theater refused. Of course I admit fully I didn't expect it.

If you paid me $23,000 for a Mustang, and it gets delivered in a 3" box stamped Mattel I think you would be upset.

Now I rarely go to the theater on opening weekend. If I really want to see a show on the big screen rather than rent/netflix I now wait until I can talk to a few people who actually watched it.

300 is an example of the right way to do it. Nothing anywhere says it is about Thermopoly (Sp?). Everything says it is based on Millers graphic novel inspired by Thermopoly (Sp?). "Based on" and "inspired by" are two completely different things. When I pay X$ and sit in the theater, I will not expect a realistic anything. I will expect a kick ass action flick.

In most industries and businesses "bait and switch" is generally illegal. In the movie industry it is "artistic license".

If I ordered the surprise and got lobster carved into little steak shapes' date=' it would be amusing and I would eat lobster.[/quote']

If you ever DO find a restaurant where they cut lobster into little steak shapes, let the rest of us know. :D

The guys who wrote the screenplay and the director of 'Starship Troopers' openly admitted that they had never even opened the cover of the book.

From what I hear, it never WAS meant to be a Starship Troopers movie, during preproduction. It was only after everything got organised that the producers looked at it and said 'hey, this is vaguely similar to ST. Either we run the risk of being sued, or we can buy the license, change the names around, and we have ourselves a Starship Troopers movie!'

The book and movie had very different aims. The movie was an indictment of fascism -- it showed how fascism can be attractive, but that that's how it sucks people in. The the soldiers are real people getting screwed over, but they end up fighting for their country nonetheless, because they buy into its crap.

That, and it's hugely gory in the best Robocop style (same writer/director, after all).

So put me down as someone who loves the movie. I don't compare it to the book -- they are VERY different products and each good in their own, entirely separate, ways.

(And 'cowboys in space' didn't strike me as out of place in Firefly, where it was a lot more obvious, so I don't see why I shouldn't like it in ST, either. ;)

If the movie "Titanic" would have been named something else' date=' anything else. It would have been an extremely well made romantic drama. The story centered around the love affair. But when they named it "Titanic" and promoted the "Titanic" angle in every commercial, I and everyone I knew expected it to be ABOUT the ship and the sinking with the whole De'crapeo and the girl being the token love bit. I remember grumbles and WTF from half the theater when it became apparent that the Titanic was just a stage backdrop and we were in for nothing but De'crapeo and the slut. Some people even walked out. After the opening day the audience became mostly teenage girls and couples. In my mind it will always be one of the worst movies ever made, because it was a switch and bait. [/quote']

Strangely enough' date=' though this bothered many people, I didn't find it annoying in the least. It was pretty apparent by the set-up (Heart of the Ocean) that this was going to be a fictional love story set against the backdrop of the Titanic disaster. [/quote']

Don't think it bothered that many people. Isn't it one of the top 5 grossing movies of all time?

The guys who wrote the screenplay and the director of 'Starship Troopers' openly admitted that they had never even opened the cover of the book.

Hadn't heard that. What I heard was that they wanted to do a bug hunt movie, and were surprised that Starship Troopers had never been made into a movie. RAH's thoughts on his one previous encounger with Hollywood (Destination Moon) are well known enough that their surprise told me they were not fans, and I adjusted expectations accordingly.

Starship Troopers was turned into a movie exactly the way Bob always said it would be, over his dead body.

If you ever DO find a restaurant where they cut lobster into little steak shapes' date=' let the rest of us know. :D[/quote']

Only after the all you can eat buffet. If you guys get there first they will eaten out of business before I get my first plate. :eek:

Don't think it bothered that many people. Isn't it one of the top 5 grossing movies of all time?

It is? I never knew that. Of course I never looked either. Well I have said before it was a funny (to bug hunt). My biggest objection to it (and the main reason I dislike it) was the bait and switch thing. Ditto with Pearl Harbor and Titanic. I just dislike being swindled.

Jerry Springer was popular too :D

Sorry, had to go there ;)

Hadn't heard that. What I heard was that they wanted to do a bug hunt movie' date=' and were surprised that [i']Starship Troopers [/i] had never been made into a movie. RAH's thoughts on his one previous encounger with Hollywood (Destination Moon) are well known enough that their surprise told me they were not fans, and I adjusted expectations accordingly.

Starship Troopers was turned into a movie exactly the way Bob always said it would be, over his dead body.

I don't remember hearing that either. It would really explain alot (one word one word BWAHAHAHAH!!!).

It is? I never knew that. Of course I never looked either.

US Domestic Ranks in Millions

Titanic $600.788

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope $460.998

Shrek 2 $436.471

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $434.975

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $431.088

So while it may have bothered you, my point is that you seem to be in the minority in this.

US Domestic Ranks in Millions

Titanic $600.788

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope $460.998

Shrek 2 $436.471

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $434.975

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $431.088

So while it may have bothered you, my point is that you seem to be in the minority in this.

Oops, my bad. You were replying to "Titanic". Which I brought up in the first place. I was thinking "Starship Troopers". :o

which means I feel really really stupid :ugly:

Please disregard large portions of the above :D

I shall be slinking off to my corner now :hush:

And for that matter, I wondered why they even bothered to keep the name "Starship Troopers".

Think about it. If they had just changed the title and some of the character and location names, they could have made the movie and not had to pay any royalties, because the Heinlein estate would have had no idea that it was based on anything he'd ever written.

/rant

"Starship Troopers! A movie based on the back cover advertising blurb on a novel by Robert Heinlein!"

• 1 month later...

And even so' date=' was better than the book inside. :D[/quote']

I read the book and got the point Heinlein was trying to make; and realized all the other people I knew who had read it and missed the point had enjoyed the book a heck of a lot more than I did. It was a nice read, but not a book I'd bother to read twice. And yeah, the blurb made a nice popcorn flick... that should have been named something else.

And yeah' date=' the blurb made a nice popcorn flick... that should have been named something else.[/quote']

I'll give you that.

I just don't understand the love of RAH. I've tried to read about 8 of his books. I've finished two. The others I wanted the time I spent reading them back.

I'll give you that.

I just don't understand the love of RAH. I've tried to read about 8 of his books. I've finished two. The others I wanted the time I spent reading them back.

Of course, your favorite fantasy series is one that a large percentage of geekdom loathes, so it might be fair to guess that your tastes vary somewhat from the "norm" even in our little sub-culture ;)

I want to see them make a movie of Armor by John Steakley