UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

That's what we must infer. There is nothing in the film to support this other than our own understanding of relativity and the distance of space. We never see a warp effect or hear mention of FTL capability. Everything is real time and feels conventional.

The military hardware and tactics in the movie is just totally unconvincing.

How about, oh I don't know, some tanks? Maybe some missiles? Poison gas? Smart Bombs? I don't get the feeling that the bugs were holding back or negotiating. They certainly never surrendered or gave quarter. There is nothing but the implication of total war.

Keith "But there was lots of cool 'slplosions" Curtis

No argument from me. Like I said, logic black holes. I'd have found the film more interesting if there had been full use of military technology and reasonable tactics depicted, with the Bugs using their own biotech equivalents. "Cowboys in space" does stretch credibilty a lot.

HERO System Almanac II gave us a Fourth Edition update of classic UNTIL with uniforms much more detailed and grounded in precedent from real military uniforms. They looked very practical, and perhaps for that reason rather boring in contrast to the supers around them. (Yes, again IMHO.)

I always figured that in 4th Ed. UNTIL didn't have too much money to work with, and what they did have they spent on stuff like grav-sleds and flying submarines. So rather than custom-made gear for their troops, they went with off-the-shelf equipment--with the exception of their energy blasters, of course.

Now in 5th Ed. the United States is a more active participant in UNTIL, having signed and ratified the Tribunal Treaty after the Battle Of Detroit. So I figure that in the current CU they have more money to work with, so they have stuff like a permanent space station that Werner Von Braun himself would have envied--and custom-made uniforms.

Now, I'm looking at Champions Universe, p. 107, and I don't get the Starship Troopers vibe off of it. I will say, though, that I liked the movie, and I'll watch it whenever it comes on TV. While I felt the animated series had better combat suits, the movie had Denise Richards, who is number two on my short list (after Jennifer Love Hewitt and before Anne Hathaway) to play the title character in The Christy Canyon Story. :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go obsess over that Star Wars Chick--:thumbup:

I could be wrong' date=' but wasn't the reason for a lack of total obliteration due to the fact that earth wanted to capture a brain bug alive?[/quote']That was specifically only for the battle on planet P.

It seemed from dialogue that they in fact had been strategically nuking planets instead of landing on them, except for high pay off/strategically important worlds.

TB

The only problem I really had with the movie was that with the exception of the lack of space travel, we could have defeated the bugs if only we had used the tactics, strategy and technology developed by WWII.

Keith "Where is my frikken air support???" Curtis

NO NO NO

We must ensure all of our starships pack into the smallest volume possible so if they have to turn they can run into each other.

For our combat troops we have to make sure they just run around in mobs and make no use of their weapons capabilities. Never ever let them establish supporting zones of fire.

What were you thinking??

:rolleyes:

:D

NO NO NO

We must ensure all of our starships pack into the smallest volume possible so if they have to turn they can run into each other.

For our combat troops we have to make sure they just run around in mobs and make no use of their weapons capabilities. Never ever let them establish supporting zones of fire.

What were you thinking??

:rolleyes:

:D

Uh...that it would have been nice if the Elite Earth Forces in STARSHIP TROOPERS had been at least as competent--and well-equipped--as the Colonial Marines in ALIENS?

Hordes of alien bugs attacking? Use the GRENADE LAUNCHER ATTACHMENT!

More hordes of alien bugs attacking? Use the AUTOMATED MACHINE GUNS!*

Still MORE hordes of alien bugs attacking. (Say it with me) TAKE OFF AND NUKE THE ENTIRE SITE FROM ORBIT--IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!

Plus, the SULACO--now THAT is a warship! And the dropship from ALIENS--again, THAT is what an orbital dropship ought to look like!

*Director's cut version

But isn't that exactly what the Bugs did with that meteor that wiped out Rio de Janeiro? They were capable of launching it through space within a tactically-effective time frame, which argues for some type of FTL capability.

I was willing to assume that that was why the humans didn't just bomb Klendathu with nukes - the Klendathu had their own WMDs to retaliate with.

The whole bug fart and meteor was movie only. In the book the Bugs had ships and tech weapons. They were tool users.

After a few paragraphs about why plastering Klandathu with H-bombs wouldn''t achieve the needed result:

"So suppose we did ruin the productive surface of Klendathu? They will still have ships and colonies and other planets, same as we have, and their HQ is still intact - so unless they surrender, the war isn't over. We didn't have nova bombs at that time; we couldn't crack Klendathu open."

Here are a few other quotes:

"But don't make the mistake of thinking that the Bugs are just stupid insect because they look the way they do and don't know how to surrender. Their warriors are smart, skilled and aggressive - smarter than you are, by the only universal rule, if the Bug shoots first."

"Only about one in fifty is a warrior - but he makes up for the other forty-nine. Their personal weapons aren't as heavy a ours but they are lethal just the same - they've got a beam that will penetrate armor and slice flesh like cutting a hardboiled egg, and the co-operate even better than we do...because the brain that is doing the heavy thinking for a "squad" isn't where you can reach it; it's down one of the holes."

I can't find it right now but BA wasn't hit by an "meteor", it was nuked from orbit by a Bug warship that penetrated Solar System defenses.

All in all the Bugs were a high tech starfaring civilization that resembled spiders and we just called them bugs.

That was the biggest disappointment in the movie, it when from a clash between power armor and space fleet and a high tech hive minded aliens to keystone cops against meteor farting cockroaches.

Uh...that it would have been nice if the Elite Earth Forces in STARSHIP TROOPERS had been at least as competent--and well-equipped--as the Colonial Marines in ALIENS?

Hordes of alien bugs attacking? Use the GRENADE LAUNCHER ATTACHMENT!

More hordes of alien bugs attacking? Use the AUTOMATED MACHINE GUNS!*

Still MORE hordes of alien bugs attacking. (Say it with me) TAKE OFF AND NUKE THE ENTIRE SITE FROM ORBIT--IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!

Plus, the SULACO--now THAT is a warship! And the dropship from ALIENS--again, THAT is what an orbital dropship ought to look like!

*Director's cut version

Yep, but don't forget that the stupidity is from the movie, not the book.

That was the biggest disappointment in the movie' date=' it when from a clash between power armor and space fleet and a high tech hive minded aliens to keystone cops against meteor farting cockroaches.[/quote']

Which made me wonder "Does Ginny need the money this badly?" and buy another ticket.

Yep' date=' but don't forget that the stupidity is from the movie, not the book.[/quote']

Oh--I'm well aware of that, thanks! I was disappointed when I learned that they weren't using powered armor in the movie, but I could kida rationalize why they didn't. The cost of the SFX might've been prohibitive and you still could tell the story of the novel even if you left out the armor. The "Mobile Infantry" becomes some other kind of elite infantry unit.

But there was simply no excuse for the arrogant, aggressive, abysmal stupidity of the movie.

And for that matter, I wondered why they even bothered to keep the name "Starship Troopers".

Think about it. If they had just changed the title and some of the character and location names, they could have made the movie and not had to pay any royalties, because the Heinlein estate would have had no idea that it was based on anything he'd ever written.

/rant

I always wondered why they even bothered to keep the name "mobile infantry" when it applied to foot soldiers.

I mean, seriously, mobile compared to what?

Uhhh - a building. Or a stone. :P

Both of which seemed to be smarter than the average trooper.

cheers, Mark

Now now' date=' let's not post in anger. Many of us on these boards were agitated after watching Starship Troopers. I suggest you enjoy a bottle of YooHoo and wait for the rage to pass. Try not to dwell on how a movie with giant bugs, boobies, and the legendary NPH could paradoxically suck AND blow.[/quote']

Fine, i'm leaving, you don't have to be a jerk about it.

And for that matter, I wondered why they even bothered to keep the name "Starship Troopers".

Think about it. If they had just changed the title and some of the character and location names, they could have made the movie and not had to pay any royalties, because the Heinlein estate would have had no idea that it was based on anything he'd ever written.

/rant

Exactly!!! Without changing a single frame or word of dialog except then name. Call it "Bug Hunt" and it would have been a campy scifi show that poked fun at the the book Starship Troopers. But when they advertised it as "Robert H Heinlein's Starship Troopers" it became an entirely different thing. They lied, false advertising. As a "Scary Movie" still campy thing it was pretty good. As a scifi movie bringing the book "Starship Troopers" to the screen it utterly failed.

Just an opinion of course. :D

There were uniforms?

All I remember is Eric Bruskotter in the shower.

WOOF! One of my favourite scenes.

One of my favourite books, and the movie wasn't bad either.

Of course, I've long had a thing for Casper.

As a "Scary Movie" still campy thing it was pretty good. As a scifi movie bringing the book "Starship Troopers" to the screen it utterly failed.

A cautionary word for all writers--

"The last one I wrote was about Okies in the dust bowl. You'd never know because when it reached the screen, the whole thing played on a torpedo boat"--Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard