Remember the Arcanum!

Savinien

Does anyone recall this crunchy tome of goodness from the early to mid 80s from Bard Games?

Here is a pic of the book cover. This is the same company that created Talislanta, but my particular need surrounds a race within the Arcanum called the Nethermen.

I want a pic from that book and possibly some discussion on the spiked shoulder armor translated into HERO!

Re: Remember the Arcanum!

I used to own The Arcanum. It definitely shows its age as a product of the 1980's - very AD&D-esque in its character class and race divisions, and its magic system - but it did have clever and original elements. Of Bard Games' Atlantis book series I much preferred The Lexicon (atlas of the Antediluvian world) and The Bestiary.

Here's an interesting review of the book from RPGnet: http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_8049.html

I remember it quite well, along with other Bard Games products I enjoyed. I may even still own it, though if so it's stored in a box somewhere.

I think the version I own has silver highlights on the cover instead of red, but I don't recall for sure.

I'm pretty certain that the silver cover is the first edition of the book, and the red one is the second. IIRC there wasn't a big difference in content between them, although the second was laid out and illustrated better.

I remember Bard Games, but I dont remember that particular supplement.

However, weren't Nethermen just Orcs by another name?

More like half-orcs, actually; the Nethermen were a hybrid of men and goblins, created by the pre-Cataclysm Atlanteans. Apparently the Atlanteans were fond of cross-pollenating all sorts of species.

What a weird time for me to look back at the Hero Game's forums. It's been a while since my last visit but I just pulled out my copy of The Arcanum (yes the first edition was silver and the second was red) in the last few weeks.

When d20 first came out I briefly talked with S. M. Sechi, the owner of the property, about doing a d20 version for it. I had zero funding so I dropped it. Later, Morrigan Press, purchased the rights and produced the game using their house system, The Omni System. I don't have an opinion of the system as of yet but from initial appearances the rules don't lend themselves to flavor of the system. A HERO conversion would be better:).

Anyway - onto the Nethermen.

Netherman are not a true race of beings, but are a cross between humans and goblins. Though occasional interbreeding between the two species has helped maintain the relatively small Nethermen population, the majority of Nethermen are the descended hybrid stock created by the Atlantean sorcerers of the First Age.

If one were looking to run a campaign set in an Arcanum-esque time period, would the Valdorian Age product be of use?

Later

I don't recall any spiked shoulder armor, and I can't directly help with the pic, but I do recall the pic looking pretty much like most of the D&D/Peter Jackson style goblins you see around (but with somewhat smaller ears), with his hair mostly shaved except one long lock growing out of the crown of his head.

That game made the D&D of the time look poorly conceived and executed, even to a die-hard D&D player. I've been tempted to look up that updated version to see how it stands the test of time.

If one were looking to run a campaign set in an Arcanum-esque time period, would the Valdorian Age product be of use?

You might work the Valdorian Age magic system into the Necromancy/Shamanism/Low Magic styles of the Arcanum, but the other styles aren't well represented by the Valdorian rules.

I think the shoulder armor was called 'garde', though I don't know if that is a name we created for it, or it was in the book. And, I believe LL has hit what I google-fud about the Nethermen fairly well. Half-orc is closer than anything else while defining the Nethermen.

I don't recall which version of the book my Buddy had, but I found that pic and thought it might help shake up some adled memories of the Hero-philes.

So, too bad nobody has the pic, nor a Hero ruling on the armor. thanks for looking!

I've played in that world as recently as a year and a half ago. My friend Roger has two copies of the book and is an IT guy. I'm betting I can get you a scan of whatever you need.

Shoot me an email reminder and I'll give him a call this evening.

I think the shoulder armor was called 'garde', though I don't know if that is a name we created for it, or it was in the book. And, I believe LL has hit what I google-fud about the Nethermen fairly well. Half-orc is closer than anything else while defining the Nethermen.

I don't recall which version of the book my Buddy had, but I found that pic and thought it might help shake up some adled memories of the Hero-philes.

So, too bad nobody has the pic, nor a Hero ruling on the armor. thanks for looking!

Ah, now I know what you're referring to. That spiked sectional armor is indeed called "garde," but it has nothing to do with The Arcanum or the Atlantis setting. It's worn by the Thralls, the bioengineered warrior race whose bodies are covered in rainbow tatoos, from Bard Games other published setting, Talislanta. Many of the book covers feature a Thrall - I'll look for a link to one.

EDIT: Here's an example - is this what you were thinking of?

http://www.talislanta.com/gallery/pdtal4.htm

Ah' date=' now I know what you're referring to. That spiked sectional armor is indeed called "garde," but it has nothing to do with [i']The Arcanum[/i] or the Atlantis setting. It's worn by the Thralls, the bioengineered warrior race whose bodies are covered in rainbow tatoos, from Bard Games other published setting, Talislanta. Many of the book covers feature a Thrall - I'll look for a link to one.

EDIT: Here's an example - is this what you were thinking of?

http://www.talislanta.com/gallery/pdtal4.htm

That's close, but the armor bit I recall started at the shoulder and went the length of the arm to the wrist. I was hoping to mock up some stats for it and possibly use the piece of equipment in a 'fighting style/martial art' for my AoR game.

Hey Savinien' date=' aren't you playing in Keith's Savage World play-by-post game? I happen to know Nuyok's player has the Arcanum. Just gotta get him to scan it for you....[/quote']

Yes. I'm lucky enough to play in Savage Earth. Unfotunately, Keith is suffering from GM burn-out for the nonce. I'll hop over there and query Mr Slaughter nonetheless.

Here you go Sav... My friend's scanner isn't working anymore so he took a digital photo of it instead and sent it to me. I hope the quality is ok.

Also, he looked cover to cover and couldn't find the Garde so now we're trying to figure out where we did get it from.

Yes, I was sure that armor wasn't in the Arcanum or associated with the Nethermen. As I said in my previous post, "garde" was the term used for the spiked armor of the Thralls from Talislanta. The illustration I linked to was for "partial garde." What Savinien is describing - armor covering the entire arm - is called "full garde." There was a picture of a Thrall in full garde on the cover of the Third Edition Talislanta rulebook; that may be what you're thinking of, Savinien. I'm attaching the best reproduction of that cover I could find.

BTW the garde spikes were indeed used in a martial art unique to the Thralls, but it's been a long time since I read up on it, so I'm hazy on the details. :o

Thanks guys! SlaughterJ sent me a scan of the same pic RPMiller attached above. I actually have a few Talislanta books at home in the bookcase! I'll look at them!

Thanks a bundle, LL. If I find the MA and can work up a HERO model, I'll post it in this thread.

I promptly forgot about it!

Thanks again!

What a weird time for me to look back at the Hero Game's forums. It's been a while since my last visit but I just pulled out my copy of The Arcanum (yes the first edition was silver and the second was red) in the last few weeks.

When d20 first came out I briefly talked with S. M. Sechi, the owner of the property, about doing a d20 version for it. I had zero funding so I dropped it. Later, Morrigan Press, purchased the rights and produced the game using their house system, The Omni System. I don't have an opinion of the system as of yet but from initial appearances the rules don't lend themselves to flavor of the system. A HERO conversion would be better:).

Anyway - onto the Nethermen.

Later

So has this old Arcanum product been reincarnated as the Atlantis Supplement by Morrigan?

Thanks guys! SlaughterJ sent me a scan of the same pic RPMiller attached above. I actually have a few Talislanta books at home in the bookcase! I'll look at them!

Thanks a bundle, LL. If I find the MA and can work up a HERO model, I'll post it in this thread.

I promptly forgot about it!

Thanks again!

You're welcome. :)

Look for "Tazian Combat." That's what they call the unique Thrall fighting style, named for the Thrall kingdom, Taz.

So has this old Arcanum product been reincarnated as the Atlantis Supplement by Morrigan?

Pretty much. Material from The Arcanum and the rest of Bard Games's "Atlantean Trilogy" (inlcluding The Lexicon and The Bestiary) is the basis for Atlantis: The Second Age by Morrigan Press. The setting is mostly the same, but the mechanics of the current edition uses the Omni System, the generic game system derived from Fourth Edition Talislanta.

IIRC there are d20 versions of both settings either out now or coming.