Merfolk character concept

Mark Rand

I had an idea for an NPC type recently, people that can, at will, shift to merfolk.

To me, that's life support, vs temperature and pressure, plus whatever can breathe underwater is, all in OIHID, plus shapeshift to mer form. There is probably also changes to sensory preception, and an increase in swimming speed.

Comments, questions, suggestions?

Re: Merfolk character concept

I use merfolk. Basically, they are Atlanteans from Hidden Lands, with their running bought down. A few of them have magic rings to allow them to temporarily adopt human forms. All are telepaths, but some are stronger than others.

Let's just say that if you are in my world, and you see a powerful telepath in a wheelchair, it's worth checking if they actually have legs, or if that's a fish tail hidden under that blanket...

As for your list of powers: maybe you should consider Environmental Movement.

I've always been a big fan of Lori Lemaris.

I'd go with out the Shapeshift and just use "SFX of power activation" but you may have reasons for using Shapeshift power.

When I wrote the stuff in my first post, I was doing it from memory of 5E. (I don't have 5ER, yet.)

I'll probably replace the shapeshift with a cosmetic transformation.

You can do a -6" running

I wouldn't buy off all 6" of running. I would probably leave them with an inch, on the grounds that they could still crawl. Of course, since Mark's version can apparently freely change between their human and merfolk forms, it would be fair enough to ignore this.

My merfolk can't change without (extremely rare) magical assistance.

The campaign will be set in Seacouver, Washington, which is where Port Susan, a large bay, is.

One of the employers there is the Nelson Institute of Marine Research. Among there equipment is the fourth submarine to be named Seaview. This one, has both men and women on the crew and a full-time research staff.

One mermaid is Beverly Conners, PhD, a redheaded marine biologist who's usual underwater garb, when she's not a mermaid, is a black and yellow wetsuit.

Her change is completely under her control and I may let her have her various life supports in both forms. Switching to mermaid form then boosts her senses and characteristics and increases her swimming speed, possibly by making her more streamlined.

She often joins in on dives and, when underwater, always carries a sonarcom (underwater two-way radio).

Here is a partial listing of the crew of the Seaview.

Captain David Morton is the sub's commanding officer. He's a skilled tactician, an an excellent Flying Sub pilot, and an average diver.

Commander Lee Ann Crane is the sub's executive officer. The first woman to apply for subs when they were opened to women and the first female executive officer, she resembles her mother, Cathy Connors. She's detail oriented, a master diver, and couldn't pilot the Flying Sub if her life depended on it.

Commander Diana Jamison, M.D. is the sub's physician. A highly skilled trauma surgeon, she resembles her mother, a geisha her father, Seaview's first doctor, met in Japan.

Lieutenant Commander Alexandra Wilder, "Sparks" to everyone, is Seaview's chief of communications. An African-American wman with braided black hair that just touches her shoulders, she was adopted by Art Wilder, Seaview's original radio operator when he married her mother.

Lieutenant Junior Grade Jamal Baker is the head of the sub's computer crew. A skilled hacker, he joined the navy instead of going to jail.

Master Chief Petty Officer Walter "Hutch" Rosen is the sub's chief of the boat. A career navy man, he has reputation as a bit of a scrapper.

Maggie, a calico cat, is the ship's mascot and mouser.

Note: on a sub, the radio operator is always addressed as "Sparks" and the sonar operator is always addressed as "Sound".

• 4 weeks later...

The campaign will be set in Seacouver, Washington, which is where Port Susan, a large bay, is.

One of the employers there is the Nelson Institute of Marine Research. Among there equipment is the fourth submarine to be named Seaview. This one, has both men and women on the crew and a full-time research staff.

It might be in San Angelo, California with the Nelson Institute of Marine Research still based in Santa Barbara. If so, the San Angelo area will have its own marine research center, possibly a part of UCSA. It could easily have a mermaid or two as well as a research sub.

• 5 months later...

An additional note: not all merfolk can shapeshift at will. Opinions vary as to why some have the power to do so. one of the two most common theories is the ones that have the ability are metahuman. Another is that both human and merfolk exist in that person's family tree.

• 4 months later...

One mermaid is Beverly Conners, PhD, a redheaded marine biologist who's usual underwater garb, when she's not a mermaid, is a black and yellow wetsuit.

Her change is completely under her control and I may let her have her various life supports in both forms. Switching to mermaid form then boosts her senses and characteristics and increases her swimming speed, possibly by making her more streamlined.

She often joins in on dives and, when underwater, always carries a sonarcom (underwater two-way radio).

A bit more on Bev. I'm changing her appearance. Now, as a mermaid, she resembled Ariel from The Little Mermaid.

I would assume that the rest of the mess is persistent' date=' and the 'shape shift' is mostly just visual. Otherwise you're really talking about multi-form. IMO. Although, certainly, all powers OIHID would also work.[/quote']

The powers are going to be OIHID.

I had an idea for an NPC type recently, people that can, at will, shift to merfolk.

To me, that's life support, vs temperature and pressure, plus whatever can breathe underwater is, all in OIHID, plus shapeshift to mer form. There is probably also changes to sensory preception, and an increase in swimming speed.

Comments, questions, suggestions?

You seem to have, at least, a base idea for this, i.e. using OIHID instead of taking multiform. I can't give any indepth suggestions without understanding the campaign this NPC is in. Is this a superhero campaign? What are the typical powers if so? Will this NPC be as powerful as the heroes? etc etc.

You seem to have' date=' at least, a base idea for this, i.e. using OIHID instead of taking multiform. I can't give any indepth suggestions without understanding the campaign this NPC is in. Is this a superhero campaign? What are the typical powers if so? Will this NPC be as powerful as the heroes? etc etc.[/quote']

It's going to be a four-color superhero campaign. The merfolk will be less powerful than the heroes.

I'm considering removing the OIHID from the life support powers because they're not created by the physical transformation to mermaid form like the other powers are.