Automaton Takes No STUN (but can be Stunned)?

bigdamnhero

The Automaton Power "Takes No STUN" is normally a 45-point power.

What if you wanted a robot (or whatever) that doesn't take STUN, but that can be Stunned (CON-stunned, that is)? The idea would be to simulate something that can't be knocked out, but can get disoriented for a phase if you smack it hard enough. How many points would that be worth?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking 30. Does that seem too low to you? Too high? Right out? Stupid idea?

Re: Automaton Takes No STUN (but can be Stunned)?

I wonder if it would make more sense to pay the full 45 points, then take a Physical Limitation like "Stunned if struck with more than X Points Stun Damage".

The automaton power would still need to triple the cost of defenses, and an automaton with enough defenses to reduce STUN markedly would be functionally invulnerable to BOD.

I wonder if it would make more sense to pay the full 45 points, then take a Physical Limitation like "Stunned if struck with more than X Points Stun Damage".

The automaton power would still need to triple the cost of defenses, and an automaton with enough defenses to reduce STUN markedly would be functionally invulnerable to BOD.

Come to think of it, I did something like this for my Mechanoids write ups, except I specified a particular hit location that was vunerable to the Stunning effect. Yeah, go with the Physical Limit. it's clean.

I wonder if it would make more sense to pay the full 45 points' date=' then take a Physical Limitation like "Stunned if struck with more than X Points Stun Damage".[/quote']

Yeah, that would be an easy way of doing it too. Tho my general rule of thumb is if a Disad wouldn't make sense if you took away one Power, then it's more properly a Limitation on that Power than a Disad on the character. But that's just a design philosophy thang.

The automaton power would still need to triple the cost of defenses' date=' [/quote']

Absolutely.

and an automaton with enough defenses to reduce STUN markedly would be functionally invulnerable to BOD.

Well, it depends on how much of it was resistant. Still, point taken. I'd certainly want to make sure the robot had enough CON that it wasn't Stunned by every hit.

Why not just a Limitation on the Takes No STUN Power' date=' -1/2 or so would give the 30pt cost you were thinking of.[/quote']

Yeah, that's exactly how I did it. (Probably should've been more clear in the OP.) I was just wondering if -1/2 "felt" about right to people. People that are not me, that is.

Take the price of the "Takes no STUN" power, subtract the price of the "Cannot be Stunned" power, and you probably have a very good estimate of what the power you're looking for should cost.

Lucius Alexander

The Palindromedary wants the Takes No BODy power....

I would just buy a heap of REC Only for Recovering STUN. +20-30 conditional REC and the robot will be right as rain after 1-2 Recoveries from just about any hit. Plus you get to buy defenses at regular cost.
But that would require phases to burn to take the recoveries. As an alternative, Healing with the Trigger Advantage might work but would still be very expensive.

But that would require phases to burn to take the recoveries. As an alternative' date=' Healing with the Trigger Advantage might work but would still be very expensive.[/quote']

Yeah, just giving it so much STUN that it's unlikely to ever be KO'd would be another way of doing it. Probably cheaper, too; tho these are NPCs, so I'm not too fussed about cost.

Yep, that's how I'd do it. The Physical Lim should be worth 15 points, same as the cost of Cannot be Stunned.