WW's Bracelets - Rep with Desolid?

JMHammer

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to start a new thread. As JmOz points out, I meant to reply to his Building the Animated Justice League thread.

I like the idea of representing how she "never fails" with her missile deflections by using Desolid. However...

1- It doesn't work against attacks from behind or by surprise.

2- If another character is behind her the attack doesn't travel through and endanger that other character. And it doesn't matter if the attacker was aiming at her or some other target; as long as she's in the path of the attack, she can deflect.

Therefore, I'd argue for Missile Deflection, with some form of useable on others, with a VERY high chance of success. This will probably be more expensive, but I feel it would better represent the special effect.

Finally, I think I've seen her using the bracelets in HTH combat, too, to block weapon attacks. Perhaps a few points of resistant defense which are linked to performing a block maneuver but take effect only if the attack which she attempts to block hits her? Could also allow that defense to apply if she attempts a missile deflection and fails.

John H

I think you pressed the wrong button (I think you wanted to reply not start a new thread)

Okay the rear guard thing I forgot about when I did it, now you say you saw her do it in HtH, as I was working on the animated version I don't recall it...However assuming you are right turn the condition to be hit as coming from behind instead of HtH

Desolid can be used to represent a character who can not be hurt by something, I have even asked Steve about this when I was working on her as it might have been a house rule, his answer was he saw no problem with it but it would be a GM call.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5573

Wonder Womans braclets

Why can't it be Missile Deflection with Obvious Inaccessable foci? Usable vs. frontal attacks(etc) only?

Never fails; lets put it this way- fails only on an 18 is 1 chance in 216!

As for Usable on others-WHY?! Ever heard of the COVER manuever? She jumps in front of someone in a cover manuever and missile deflects.

Also (P. 135) Missile Deflect acts as Block in HTH combat,

no armor needed.

It could be done that way (except the foci, she has to my knowledge never loss them, for that matter I beleive they can't come off, but restrainable works there instead)

But see your Math is wrong there, she will never miss the first shot (well once in 216) but what about the second, or the third, or the fourth, or the fifth, by this point it is only about a 50/50 chance of deflecting it

This is one of the things I love about Hero, there are multiple ways to get to the same result...

Re: Wonder Womans braclets

Originally posted by Maccabe

Why can't it be Missile Deflection with Obvious Inaccessable foci? Usable vs. frontal attacks(etc) only?

Never fails; lets put it this way- fails only on an 18 is 1 chance in 216!

As for Usable on others-WHY?! Ever heard of the COVER manuever? She jumps in front of someone in a cover manuever and missile deflects.

Also (P. 135) Missile Deflect acts as Block in HTH combat,

no armor needed.

Missile deflection uses the same mechanics as a block, but isn't the same thing. The FAQ clearly states that if you use missile deflection, block is n/a and vice versa.

I think it's just a very high roll in Missile Deflection. If Wonder Woman has 8 point CSLs, or Overall Levels, she can use them to add to her Missile Deflect Rolls or to her Block.

I think you need to be able to see the attack to block it or Missile Deflect it (or at the least have a penalty for trying to do it blind).

I suppose Desolidifcation (affected by Area of Effect and Explosion attacks?) could work, subject to the correct Limitations, but then you get bogged down in things like "Affects Desolid" attacks, what powers she'll need "Affects Real World" on etc.

I can't recall her Reflecting missiles.

Wonder Woman was without her bracelets for a few episodes of her current storyline.

You could simulate it with a Force Wall. I have seen Force Wall, 1 Hex, must be aware of attack, to simulate a "perfect block" in Broken Kingdoms, and I suspect Ninja Hero or UMA as well. I think this might be the way to go. You might need some additional tweaking to get the exact effect, but it solves a lot of the problems found in Desolid and perfect Missle Deflection.

She's done it more than once. In Savage Time she reflected bullets back at a group of Nazi soldiers and their vehicles.

It's a tough build because no one power accurately represents WW's abilities as demonstrated in the show. If you're willing to buy more than one power, you could buy the Force Wall and Missile Reflection. She need not reflect every shot, and will still be protected from the ones that get through.

The Power skill is another fix, and avoids a significant cost problem, but you run into a problem when she tries the same trick twice.

Originally posted by Agent X

I would argue she can missile reflects but often chooses not to.

Exactly. My martial artist has Missile Reflection but has never actually used it in combat. Of course, she seldom uses her Missile Deflection either, trusting to her high DCV to protect her. And if you have a CvK, reflecting bullets back at thugs may be a Bad Idea.

I think WW's bracelets were precisely what George MacDonald was thinking of when he originally came up with Missile Deflection as a power in Champions, just as Danger Sense clearly owes it's lineage to Spider-Man's Spider Sense. She just never rolls '18'. :D

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Exactly. My martial artist has Missile Reflection but has never actually used it in combat. Of course, she seldom uses her Missile Deflection either, trusting to her high DCV to protect her. And if you have a CvK, reflecting bullets back at thugs may be a Bad Idea.

I think WW's bracelets were precisely what George MacDonald was thinking of when he originally came up with Missile Deflection as a power in Champions, just as Danger Sense clearly owes it's lineage to Spider-Man's Spider Sense. She just never rolls '18'. :D

I agree entirely with this. Wonder Woman (as she is now in the comics) probably has a CvK, so she'd be reluctant to Reflect attacks, because she doesn't know what damage they might do to the person eventually hit. It wouldn't just be bullets.

I think you're right about WW never rolling 18 - just like Captain America never misses with a punch against ordinary thugs. You need a mechanic for game balance which would not be dramatic in a comic, story, or film.

I like that idea, Jm.

I use it alot myself for teleporters or ridiculously tough bricks.

DCV levels are a perfect way to simulate that attacks just don't affect their target. after all, you specify the special effect when you buy it.

so, +8 DCV, usable on others, restrainable.

Maybe multipower it so there's actual missle reflection and deflection too.