[Review] CU: News Of The World (+ Long Argument On MPA's & Frameworks)

ghost-angel

Re: [book Review] Champions Universe: News Of The World

You can already effectively MPA at will with a VPP; a compound power containing a 10d6 EB and a 2d6 Flash is legal in a 60 point VPP.

This is a good point. Technically, all frameworks can MPA with compound powers (more than one in the same slot). That being the case, it seems even stranger to say "oh, they can't MPA with powers from different slots, only when it's built as a single compound power".

Wasn't the whole argument that MPA's were always intended and that linked did not provide the MPA ability as part of the limitation?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it would be useful to start a new thread on MPAs & Frameworks (or find one of the old ones and reanimate it) rather than continuing to highjack what was once a reasonably on topic thread reviewing and commenting on a particular book?

(just saying)

Don't lead Hermit on. Tell him the truth. Defender got both Sapphire and Witchcraft pregnant and is now hitting on Lady Liberty and Megaera from MC-8. :)

And in 2009, the offspring of the Defender's Nights Incident will form the iconic super team of the first hard cover, glossy paper CU Supplement: Champions Tots.

[quote=Jeff T.;The Sentinels are near JLA-level supers, and the Champs and JS are just a notch below.

I'd have to disagree--the Champions are pretty low powered superheroes--they struggle to handle agent teams in their ortiginal write ups--the upgrades can now at least handle a Viper Five-Team with confidence as individuals, but they arent even close to JLA levels. They are finally above street level, at least. Well, at least the members who actually managed to make meaningful changes in their writeups. (IronClad, I'm looking at you)

The Sentinels are near JLA? Is thata really low power issue of the JLA? Other thanb Diamond..most of them are not of a remarkable power level compared to what players want to start out at the 350 point level, much less the vast point levels the characters have.

A lot of the writeups just set my teeth on edge in terms of design--multi slots that will never be used at less power, multiple multipower reserves at the same point levels for the same special effect. Or advantage or limitation values that just dont make any sense. But this is no disappointment to me--I routinely have to do many write ups to make the campaign usable anyway; the value is having the base concept done and tweaking it, which still makes the product well worth its money.

Well, what can I say about the cover art. Definitely a thumbs down. Gah. I hope they didnt actually pay someone for that.

The art through the book ranged in quality. Re-used Champions art. Boo! Scarlett Archer--shes looks okay, except for the popeye the sailor man right arm that looks shorter than her left arm. (The bow and arrow layout on the next page was nice and made up for it). As for Pantera..gah, Lady Bic, come save us! But theres some good stuff for the new characters too--enough quality mixed in with the misses to make it on ok product and not an eyesore.

I really would have loved a piece showing the infamous Date that saved Seattle.

Messenger: interesting character, though I dread reading about how he will be used, or misused.

I though it was VIPER 8 Man Teams now?

I agree that the Champions seem under powered? I liked the 4th Edition Champions Universe versions better. I also liked The Algernon Files write ups as a template for JLA/JSA Level Superheroes.

IMOHO they got it.

QM

I though it was VIPER 8 Man Teams now?

QM

After looking at the level of ech available to the common Viper Team, 5 is all they needed for the starting Champions. 8 of them (especially enough to do the crew weapons)-eek!

I'm going to have to look at those Algernon files someday.

The Sentinels are near JLA? Is thata really low power issue of the JLA? Other thanb Diamond..most of them are not of a remarkable power level compared to what players want to start out at the 350 point level' date=' much less the vast point levels the characters have.[/quote']

I can't speak for Metaphysician but he might have accidentally said Sentinels when he meant Justice Squadron. The JS would seem to have the JLA powerhouses as half the team does 16d6 or more [16d, 20d, and 30d] and 2 of the others do 15d and 14d respectively [and I can't speak for your JLA but only one of them does more then 20d6 in my writeup and his name is Superman].

Actually, by a reasonable measure, nearly all the comic JLA do over 20d6. However, relative to the power scales present in the CU, the Justice Squadron fill the JLA role. Just not in the "Big Seven" sense. Thats partly because they lost alot of their buffer members in Detroit, though ( Vanguard at least, and I'd bet Digitak was damn buff too ).

And I really don't know why people are complaining about the Champs having difficulty with VIPER. *ANY* superteam, no matter how high end, is going to have difficulty with VIPER if they get VIPER appropriately angry at them. My old New Sentinels team, 750+ point powerhouses all, would still consider VIPER one of the top half dozen or so threats to the planet ( counting resident threats only, anyway ). VIPER is highly scalable.

( besides, I don't see the 500 point Champions losing to an Eight Team, unless it was either a really painful ambush, or it was composed entirely of Golden Vipers or Dragon Armor troopers or something. . . and even then, they'd probably win )

Actually' date=' by a reasonable measure, nearly all the comic JLA do over 20d6.[/quote']

A multi-year old argument which will never be settled. :)

( besides, I don't see the 500 point Champions losing to an Eight Team, unless it was either a really painful ambush, or it was composed entirely of Golden Vipers or Dragon Armor troopers or something. . . and even then, they'd probably win )

An 8-team isn't that powerful. Their biggest attack is 1-2 people doing 12d. On average the Champions will do body damage to them with their 14d attacks.

Does anyone know if DOJ is planning on releasing the book as a pdf?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. All the books are released as a PDF.

I would check at the end of the month, my guess is no later than that. You can post the question in the Company or Online Store forums for a more official answer from Darren And Co.

I can't speak for Metaphysician but he might have accidentally said Sentinels when he meant Justice Squadron. The JS would seem to have the JLA powerhouses as half the team does 16d6 or more [16d' date= 20d, and 30d] and 2 of the others do 15d and 14d respectively [and I can't speak for your JLA but only one of them does more then 20d6 in my writeup and his name is Superman].

Yeah--the Justice Squadron gets a bit closer to JLA levels in some places. Though in my esitmation, quite a few of the JLA exceed these levels--WW, GL, Flash. Ol Supes would hit between 25 to 30 in mine (post crisis)--pre crisis, about 50d6.

Still, for their power, they seem awfulyl underdeveloped--really low speeds, dexes, outside of Brawler and Tomahawk abysmal CON scores, which just compounds their low speeds. But they are the easiest to fix though--dribble some extra Dex and Con here and there, maybe give Blink some really effective attack (other than the KA he wont hardly ever use with a 20 point CVK!) and thats a legitmately tough hi power group.

Well, Blink's multipower is just asking to have extra slots added, but thats no big problem. Though I'd be less likely to up his CON, than to make sure he has a "Blink Teleport" +DCV slot, and perhaps some Martial Arts ( including Dodge ). IOW, he's easy to Stun, but hard as hell to hit.

( sidebar: the reason he has two separate multipowers, is so he can both move and act in the same turn, without needing to give him one gigantic multipower reserve moreso than already )

A multi-year old argument which will never be settled. :)

An 8-team isn't that powerful. Their biggest attack is 1-2 people doing 12d. On average the Champions will do body damage to them with their 14d attacks.

Actually, my expectation is an individual Hero needs to be spanking an eight team--well, at least the heroes at the career point the Champions are in NOTW. A starting hero--different story, and thats why I defaulted back to the old five team status.

Of curse, looking at the Viper sourcebook, an Eight-Team armed to face superheroes is nasty. Maybe overly so.

I'm loving some of the new villains. Valak the World Slayer is getting and dropped into a PBEM of mine soon.

Well, Blink's multipower is just asking to have extra slots added, but thats no big problem. Though I'd be less likely to up his CON, than to make sure he has a "Blink Teleport" +DCV slot, and perhaps some Martial Arts ( including Dodge ). IOW, he's easy to Stun, but hard as hell to hit.

Sounds good. I'd be tempted just to up his dex in general, or at least give him some lightning reflexes as well for the teleport related abilities.

Brainstorm:

They need to make a "Foxbat Live in Concert T-Shirt" and sell it. I'd be buying it in a heartbeat.

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Foxbat honey,

Don’t you know that l'll rob you?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Foxbat, baby,

Don’t you know that I’ll always be cool?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Foxbat honey,

Oh, won’t you come with me

And take my hand?

We’ll rob this land

Please take my hand!

In-A-Gadda-Da-Foxbat honey,

and take my hand?

We’ll rob this land

Please take my hand!"

::Guitar Solo, repeat::