[Review] CU: News Of The World (+ Long Argument On MPA's & Frameworks)

ghost-angel

Re: [Review] CU: News Of The World (+ Long Argument On MPA's & Frameworks)

The alien stuff was pulled when we decided to add Champions Beyond to the '08 schedule. That book will have all the aliens you can stomach. Dividing that info over two books seemed counterproductive. (I know' date=' "I want it now!" Yeesh, we gotta have something to print next year.) dw[/quote']

HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!!?!! Now I have to wait for that...GAH!.

is it 2008 yet?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to finally have write-ups for the Sentinels and Justice Squadron, plus the other tons of info and awesome new villains. I think I can get a lot of mileage out of Hurricane and Baykok, it's great to see Pantera again, and I've been waiting a long time for a villain like Valak. But the editting for the book is absolutely atrocious. It's like 4th ed all over again. I hope that gets corrected in any later printings.

But the editting for the book is absolutely atrocious. It's like 4th ed all over again. I hope that gets corrected in any later printings.

Hmmm...I don't remember seeing a large amount of grammatical or spelling errors in the book. Did I just miss 'em?

Maybe Hero Games should make playtest copies of the manuscripts available to Digital Hero subscribers again. I heard that they stopped because the testreaders' comments were getting sparse, but some would be better than none.

Maybe Hero Games should make playtest copies of the manuscripts available to Digital Hero subscribers again. I heard that they stopped because the testreaders' comments were getting sparse' date=' but some would be better than none.[/quote']

I've always considered that to be a bad business move. When money's tight gamers lose a lot of incentive to buy the books if they already have the playtest manuscript [especially when the artwork in the finished book isn't spectacular and making the material worth buying, IMO]. I really believe Hero Games should just pick a half-dozen "loyalists" and let them do the proofreading with compensation being a free copy of the book and pdf.

Another option would be do handle it the same way Green Ronin does with its M&M line. They release the pdf about 3 weeks ahead of the book. They then put an errata thread on their site where the fans who bought and read the pdf can comment on errata. They can then make changes during the blueline stage before the book goes to print. It's not foolproof but it's better then nothing.

Maybe Hero Games should make playtest copies of the manuscripts available to Digital Hero subscribers again. I heard that they stopped because the testreaders' comments were getting sparse' date=' but some would be better than none.[/quote']

Well....I stopped "playtesting" because it wasn't really a playtest draft. Steve was very clear in the preambles that the product was basically done. It was really an editorial draft to catch typos and check math on constructs.

I actually playtested some of the earlier products, but since a) feedback wasn't really going to change the product and B) the window was so short it was difficult to squeeze quality playtesting in a sufficiently timely fashion anyway I basically lost motivation.

{shrugs} So don't use her, or don't use her as part of Eurostar.

Actually, they also got der Westgote (or however its spelled), and he's pretty tough.

And should have been no big surprise, given his write-up in TUB. :D

Re: [book Review] Champions Universe: News Of The World

I'd say Pantera if you still want to match the power levels of old would rate the 35 dex; but to keep to a supposed 9and rather dubious) human max of 30' date=' I'd at least add some lightning reflexes to her. shes all about attacking first and hard.[/quote']

Good point. I like that idea... she could react quicker than her characteristics would indicate. Good use of lightning reflexes!

Repped!

Well....I stopped "playtesting" because it wasn't really a playtest draft. Steve was very clear in the preambles that the product was basically done. It was really an editorial draft to catch typos and check math on constructs.

I actually playtested some of the earlier products, but since a) feedback wasn't really going to change the product and B) the window was so short it was difficult to squeeze quality playtesting in a sufficiently timely fashion anyway I basically lost motivation.

What he said. That, combined with the lack of ability to access the playtest forum for the longest time, hurt my interest.

The alien stuff was pulled when we decided to add Champions Beyond to the '08 schedule. That book will have all the aliens you can stomach.

OOOOOoooooOOOoooooo!!!!!!:celebrate

HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!!?!! Now I have to wait for that...GAH!.

is it 2008 yet?

Nope... I know this because Battlestar Galactica hasn't started up again

ARGH!!!!

I forgot to say this before' date=' but did anybody else notice how some of the Justice Squadron members got sex changes?[/quote']

I had just noticed that last week actually ... I was reading something in CU and went "wait, CUNotW has them as a different gender...

I haven't had a chance to really track everyone down to find out who flipped genders.

Yeah' date=' there were a few. Not a big deal, mostly one letter typos.[/quote']

So - basically no more than any other gaming book I've read in the past 20 years?

I thought I'd miss just all kinds of random typos and such.

No' date=' I didn't notice any such thing. Care to elaborate?[/quote']

Blink: Champions Universe; refered to in the CU Index as a "Teleporting Heroine" (which could very well simply be a type as the text does not describe the gender of any of the members; CU p68)

Flashover: CU; refered to in the CU Index as a "Fire Manipulating Hero" (same possible issue as above)

Those are the only two whose references (both in the Index of CU) show a different gender than the write-up in CU:NotW has. Neither is referenced in any other book (or rather, neither has an Index Entry in any other book)

Which, now that I've researched the exact nature of the switch, I will assume was simply a typo in the CU Index.

Heh. I forgot those were there too. Steve wrote those long before letting me get my hands on them. Well, you can either accept that the CU index was written way before anyone got around to designing the characters, or perhaps in the JS' backstory they fought the Amazing Gender-Switch Man. Or, those were their genders before the Reality Storm. Didn't one of Keith Giffen's Substitute Legion stories have a gender-altering plague spread by Infectious Lass? Star Boy's black now, right?

Or, a wizard did it. dw

Heh. I forgot those were there too. Steve wrote those long before letting me get my hands on them. Well, you can either accept that the CU index was written way before anyone got around to designing the characters, or perhaps in the JS' backstory they fought the Amazing Gender-Switch Man. Or, those were their genders before the Reality Storm. Didn't one of Keith Giffen's Substitute Legion stories have a gender-altering plague spread by Infectious Lass? Star Boy's black now, right?

Or, a wizard did it. dw

See.. now you need to make an official CU Stance. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah' date=' there were a few. Not a big deal, mostly one letter typos.[/quote']

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just had a chance to get CUTW and look through it. While I saw a couple of typos and mistakes, I didn't think it was that bad.

However, I was surprised at the lack of consistency in some of the presentation items. For example, some OIHID characters (like flashover) did not have their OIHID stats added to the stats box, whereas others did. In addition, Combat Luck and other defenses were alternatively included and not included in the aggregated defenses for various characters. Nothing that causes a problem if you read the character, just one that caused that hobgoblin of my simple mind to rear its ugly head.

On an unrelated note, was anyone struck by the builds? I noticed that in most cases where there could be the old MP + EC build, the character forwent the EC (e.g. Dr. Vox, Black Rose, Sapphire, Drifter, etc.). While points don't really matter for an NPC, I was still surprised.