Build this power

Fireball

A player I know wants to have a hero with this power:

His hero strikes the ground, causing a (scale-wise) small earthquake, which hits enemies on the ground. The effect is that they are hit with a shockwave that unbalances them - their equilibrium. Now, this sounds like an Entangle that uses Dex, not Str, to break out out. If they don't break out, they're a sitting duck as a target - they're still recovering their equilibrium. However, the attack doesn't prevent foci from being used (i.e. blasters, etc), nor does it effect the target from using ranged attacks.

How would you build this?

Re: Build this power

You could do it has a Change Environment that gives penalties to DEX rolls (and/or OCV) and deducts from ground movement. You can make it lingering so the effect remains for several phases after the initial attack.

You could do it has a Change Environment that gives penalties to DEX rolls (and/or OCV) and deducts from ground movement. You can make it lingering so the effect remains for several phases after the initial attack.

both log and edsel have good ideas but If they concept is just to make the essential "Focus on standing" then I would go with CE. It doesn't prevent them from doing anything just makes it difficult. Also don't forget such limitation as "Only while in contact with earth," or maybe "two dimentional."

La Rose

If you want to actually knock them over then I'd use an explosion that does knockback only.

However, if you only want to disorient them, then you can create a DEX Drain (explosion).

This is how I built a spell for a Fantasy Hero how to question of a similar description:

25 Alternate: Dil Brand (aka Explosion Array): (Total: 83 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Tunneling 1" through 6 DEF material, Limited Range (4"; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Only on Natural Stone or Soil (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Shamanism Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Touch Group Flash 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Does Knockback (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4) (58 Active Points); Only vs. targets standing on normal earth or stone (-1/2), Requires A Shamanism Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Limited Range (4"; -1/4), Linked (Set Charge; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16) [Notes: No effect if used on a natural rock with DEF higher than 6.] - END=8

I'd recommend the following:

Telekinesis

Explosion

LIM: Only to perform Martial Throw

LIM: Only to drop target in hex (may not throw)

LIM: Only targets standing on struck surface

This uses established rules on being knocked down (what you can and cannot do), scales to properly handle heavy opponents that would not be as effected by the ground shaking, and avoids the problems of a Normal being permanently "unbalanced" because they cannot get free of the entangle. The explosion simulates the effect damping out with distance. Also, anyone flying would not be effected, but the player would have the option of doing it to a wall that targets are clinging to, possibly making them fall. Change environment does not do that. This also clearly deliniates what size inanimate objects (mass of object, really) would be effected which CE does not do.

Plus, by matching the size of the TK to the characters STR, there is a direct correlation between cause and effect.

I don't list modifiers for the LIMs as that is your call as GM, but I'd recomment close to a -1 1/2 for the first one, a -1 for the second, and another -1 for the last. Individually, these are hefty limitations, but combined they whittle the power down to the single intended use. Your mileage may vary.

Whether or not striking the surface counts as gestures is entirely up to you.

This is how I built a spell for a Fantasy Hero how to question of a similar description:

25 Alternate: Dil Brand (aka Explosion Array): (Total: 83 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Tunneling 1" through 6 DEF material, Limited Range (4"; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Only on Natural Stone or Soil (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Shamanism Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Touch Group Flash 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Does Knockback (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4) (58 Active Points); Only vs. targets standing on normal earth or stone (-1/2), Requires A Shamanism Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Limited Range (4"; -1/4), Linked (Set Charge; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16) [Notes: No effect if used on a natural rock with DEF higher than 6.] - END=8

Nice! :thumbup: I like the Tunneling aspect.

Do I detect a Slayers fan? Paging Shaman Zelgadis.

Gemphyre

Really interesting. I'll have to think about it.

I think I'll go this route for the power.

The only issue with using Entangle instead of some type of Knockback-centric attack is that any characters with KB Resistance and/or Clinging will not get any defense from those abilities when arguably they should. As a result the players might get a little frustated.

My suggestion is actually this:

Localized Shockwave: 3d6 Area Effect Dex Drain, Trigger, When Landing from a Leap, Only when landing From a Leap (-1) 37 points.

Greater Shockwave: 5d6 Area Effect Dex Drain, Trigger, When Landing from A leap, Only when landing from a leap! (1-) 50 points

COSMIC SHOCKWAVE: 3d6 Megascale (+1/4), Area Effect Dex Drain, Trigger, when Landing from a Leap (-1). 45 points.

Yes, the cosmic shockwave costs less than the greater shockwave. So what?

The last one looks like Darren should have a look at it for Lucha Libre hero!

Oigame! Arriba la raza! :)

• 4 months later...

The only issue with using Entangle instead of some type of Knockback-centric attack is that any characters with KB Resistance and/or Clinging will not get any defense from those abilities when arguably they should. As a result the players might get a little frustated.

It has nothing to do with what a hero has or does not have. With the concept of the power, it is not a force which knocks someone over, back or under. It simply is without regard to physics. Also, it's not very powerful - even a 10 year old can break out of it, given time, so I'm not concerned about frustration from anyone.

His hero strikes the ground, causing a (scale-wise) small earthquake, which hits enemies on the ground. The effect is that they are hit with a shockwave that unbalances them - their equilibrium. Now, this sounds like an Entangle that uses Dex, not Str, to break out out. If they don't break out, they're a sitting duck as a target - they're still recovering their equilibrium. However, the attack doesn't prevent foci from being used (i.e. blasters, etc), nor does it effect the target from using ranged attacks.

It sounds like it has some similarities to an old attack from the

Champions II supplement called "Crack The Whip" and which was

updated to become a 'Brick Trick' in The Ultimate Brick. I asked

about it myself previously and was directed to page 54 of TUB.

It's basically an Energy Blast with Indirect and costs 30pts (or so).

I don't have my copy at hand (I'm still at work) but I suspect you

could modify it to fit your needs.

-Carl-

It has nothing to do with what a hero has or does not have. With the concept of the power' date=' it is not a force which knocks someone over, back or under. It simply is without regard to physics.[/u'] Also, it's not very powerful - even a 10 year old can break out of it, given time, so I'm not concerned about frustration from anyone.

That's cool. It doesn't sound a lot like your original post though.