Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

In the webcomic Marilith the character pictured in the link has an AK-47 with once of those enormous 100 round clips. The big half-moon type. These magazines are hard to find and truth be told not very practical. However if some one knows where I can find a good picture of a real AK-47 with this type of magazine I'd love to see it. It just looks cool.

In the webcomic Marilith the character pictured in the link has an AK-47 with once of those enormous 100 round clips. The big half-moon type. These magazines are hard to find and truth be told not very practical. However if some one knows where I can find a good picture of a real AK-47 with this type of magazine I'd love to see it. It just looks cool.

E-mail me, Edsel, and I'll look through my reference folder of mil-tech images.

• 2 weeks later...

I had not been able to find a good link to a picture of this one, but had heard of it. Now I have more...

An M-1 carbine converted to a bullpup. MINIMUM legal length for a rifle in the US, without an "any other Weapon" registration and Tax Stamp.

Not the lightest weapon, but with softpoints or hollowpoints, particularly the Corbon DPX loads with the X-bullet...

http://www.advancedcombat.com/security/sm1.html

I believe there is a version on the Israeli market, even shorther. US law requires a minimum of 26" overall length and at least a 16" barrel.

• 1 month later...

Meet THUMPER. ;)

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/burvms16-45.asp

Now for the ballistics...

Note that at 300 yards it has roughly the velocity and energy of a .44 magnum, at the Muzzle!

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543

Even if the quoted ballistics are from the longer "Rifle" barrel, it will still be potent.

The case is made from a cut-off 6.5x 284. True it is only single stack in AR 15 magazines, but I want one anyway. :eg:

OTOH, there are a LOT of AR variants I would like to have. :D

Meet THUMPER. ;)

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/burvms16-45.asp

Now for the ballistics...

Note that at 300 yards it has roughly the velocity and energy of a .44 magnum, at the Muzzle!

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543

Even if the quoted ballistics are from the longer "Rifle" barrel, it will still be potent.

The case is made from a cut-off 6.5x 284. True it is only single stack in AR 15 magazines, but I want one anyway. :eg:

OTOH, there are a LOT of AR variants I would like to have. :D

Seems like they come out with another thumper round in the AR platform at least once a year. I got excited by the .500 Beowulf, the .458 SOCOM, and various other ones over the years. Honestly, I think the direct impingement system is silly. There's a reason no one did it before. Too bad the platform has so many benefits, and all the gas piston designs nowadays are promising. Combine that with some of these caliber conversions and it might turn into a very righteous rifle in the long term...

Oh well, no good ranges for rifle around here anyway. *sigh* The .50 BMG AR is out there somewhere, too, if you're looking for that kind of power as well. =)

Seems like they come out with another thumper round in the AR platform at least once a year. I got excited by the .500 Beowulf, the .458 SOCOM, and various other ones over the years. Honestly, I think the direct impingement system is silly. There's a reason no one did it before. Too bad the platform has so many benefits, and all the gas piston designs nowadays are promising. Combine that with some of these caliber conversions and it might turn into a very righteous rifle in the long term...

Oh well, no good ranges for rifle around here anyway. *sigh* The .50 BMG AR is out there somewhere, too, if you're looking for that kind of power as well. =)

You don't have any local rifle ranges? Shucks. :(

I agree that it is amazing how many different "thumper" cartridges have come out in the last few years. Olympic arms even makes a version in the Winchester Super short magnum Cartridges.

In '02 at the SHOT show, I saw a couple rifles at the "Safety Harbor Firearms" booth. They had a "custom" bolt action magazine fed(iirc) .50 Spotter rifle. The one I drooled over, however, was a prototype of a gas operated .50 upper mounted on an AR lower with iirc a side mounted three or five round magazine. As I suspect that it would be a more practical "modernizable" cartridge, I would like to see that in the .50 spotter.

Their versions are remarkably light. :nonp: This is another reason I would rather see the potentially lighter recoilling spotter cartridge used. If it was loaded with lighter bullets than the standard 820 or so grain bullet... I suspect modern powders would make it possible to match the or nearly match the ballistics of the BMG round with the shorter spotter cartridge. It might be necessary to "improve" the cartridge a little, but...

This is a link to a replica, but a sweet looking replica of the LeMat revolver. It'd be pretty cool in an early old west game (it is a cap and ball design). The Confederates used some of these. What made the LeMat unique is that it was a 9-shooter and instead of the cylinder revolving around a simple rod, a 20-gauge shotgun barrel was in its place. So the shooter has nine .42 calibur slugs and a single load of buckshot to use. You can google LeMat Revolver to finds lots of data on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0036661.shtml

You don't have any local rifle ranges? Shucks. :(

I agree that it is amazing how many different "thumper" cartridges have come out in the last few years. Olympic arms even makes a version in the Winchester Super short magnum Cartridges.

In '02 at the SHOT show, I saw a couple rifles at the "Safety Harbor Firearms" booth. They had a "custom" bolt action magazine fed(iirc) .50 Spotter rifle. The one I drooled over, however, was a prototype of a gas operated .50 upper mounted on an AR lower with iirc a side mounted three or five round magazine. As I suspect that it would be a more practical "modernizable" cartridge, I would like to see that in the .50 spotter.

Their versions are remarkably light. :nonp: This is another reason I would rather see the potentially lighter recoilling spotter cartridge used. If it was loaded with lighter bullets than the standard 820 or so grain bullet... I suspect modern powders would make it possible to match the or nearly match the ballistics of the BMG round with the shorter spotter cartridge. It might be necessary to "improve" the cartridge a little, but...

I'd think more about all of it if there was a decent rifle range around here. There are a few, but I live in Illinois, land of Gun Banners and Liberals of no clue. The only range near me that's even got any decent distance is in Wisconsin (and doesn't require a $700+ annual membership + time on range spent cleaning it up), and they only allow single shots... meaning, if you have a magazine, you need to pull it, load a round, slap it in, cycle it, then fire. Most of the guys there have dedicated spotters, and some just use one of the get-ups where the barrel and action sit in a frame. I forget what that's called... took my shotgun there, had to fire slugs at long ranges, feeding only one round at a time... =/ Oh yeah, and to top it off, the people who run it are nasty, ornery, and very elitist... so the AR type of rifle is out. :mad: I'm considering a bolt action, just to shoot some rifle. More likely I'll get a pistol caliber carbine at some point so I can shoot it at a pistol range. Maybe a lever-gun, those are neat, though I never find the right one. Want one with a pistol style grip (straight grip makes me wrist hurt after awhile) in .44 Magnum to go with my revolver.

This is a link to a replica, but a sweet looking replica of the LeMat revolver. It'd be pretty cool in an early old west game (it is a cap and ball design). The Confederates used some of these. What made the LeMat unique is that it was a 9-shooter and instead of the cylinder revolving around a simple rod, a 20-gauge shotgun barrel was in its place. So the shooter has nine .42 calibur slugs and a single load of buckshot to use. You can google LeMat Revolver to finds lots of data on it.

I've seen this before, very neat. Gotta like a revolver/shotgun combo. =) If I could get a firing version without losing my house, that'd be awesome, especially if converted to cartridge firing.

I'd think more about all of it if there was a decent rifle range around here. There are a few, but I live in Illinois, land of Gun Banners and Liberals of no clue. The only range near me that's even got any decent distance is in Wisconsin (and doesn't require a $700+ annual membership + time on range spent cleaning it up), and they only allow single shots... meaning, if you have a magazine, you need to pull it, load a round, slap it in, cycle it, then fire. Most of the guys there have dedicated spotters, and some just use one of the get-ups where the barrel and action sit in a frame. I forget what that's called... took my shotgun there, had to fire slugs at long ranges, feeding only one round at a time... =/ Oh yeah, and to top it off, the people who run it are nasty, ornery, and very elitist... so the AR type of rifle is out. :mad: I'm considering a bolt action, just to shoot some rifle. More likely I'll get a pistol caliber carbine at some point so I can shoot it at a pistol range. Maybe a lever-gun, those are neat, though I never find the right one. Want one with a pistol style grip (straight grip makes me wrist hurt after awhile) in .44 Magnum to go with my revolver.

I've seen this before, very neat. Gotta like a revolver/shotgun combo. =) If I could get a firing version without losing my house, that'd be awesome, especially if converted to cartridge firing.

If you ever end up out here in the Inland North West, let me know. I have access to a private range. :cool:

I would like to have a pair of marlin lever actions. One in .44 or better yet .45 LC, the other in .45-70. maybe even two .45-70s. One Cowboy model, one Guide gun. :D

One nice thing about that LeMat revovler is that it IS a muzzle loader. One doesn't even need to go through an FFL dealer for muzzle loaders.

:D

edit: I am sorry that the Benchrest shooters in that area are such snots. SOme of them can be really nice, I know the maker of one of the top action designs.

Is it a benchrest only range? I don't think I have ever heard of a single shot only range.

If you ever end up out here in the Inland North West, let me know. I have access to a private range. :cool:

I would like to have a pair of marlin lever actions. One in .44 or better yet .45 LC, the other in .45-70. maybe even two .45-70s. One Cowboy model, one Guide gun. :D

One nice thing about that LeMat revovler is that it IS a muzzle loader. One doesn't even need to go through an FFL dealer for muzzle loaders.

:D

Yeah, levers seem like fun. Dunno, though, only shot a .22 LR pump rifle as a kid with my father. That's all my rifle experience. =) Handguns I picked up on my lonesome.

I have to admit I have very little interest in muzzle loaders. They are some neat guns, but if I got any of them I'd get them converted to cartridge loading to take out all of that hassle. Just my preference. My dad had a muzzle loader, and after a few years of messing with it, it ended up in a box, and has never moved since. Watching him mess with it, I gained no interest.

edit: I am sorry that the Benchrest shooters in that area are such snots. SOme of them can be really nice, I know the maker of one of the top action designs.

Is it a benchrest only range? I don't think I have ever heard of a single shot only range.

I'm hardly taking these guys as the primo example of all benchrest shooters. Its like anything, some groups suck and others are lots of fun. Like group with like.

It is NOT a benchrest only range. Basically, Illinois and Wisconsin are still marked in BLACK, even above California, for gun friendliness. We get the gun snobs that think gun banning doesn't apply to them, because they're elite shooters... who can't hit the target. Fancy = good with a lot of them. There are also a lot of idiot shooters around these parts, with police departments getting themselves banned from gun ranges for failure to not destroy the range (e.g. hitting everything EXCEPT the targets).

If you cant' tell, I'm a little unimpressed with the whole gun thing here. Its really silly. I'm no expert shot, either, I'm pretty much a rookie. I qualify at 100%, but its not exactly a hard course of fire, and I'm always amazed at the number of fools with unsafe handling practices. I actually had to show one kid how the sites worked... and he carried for a security company, and was in the navy. :eek:

In any case, my goal this year is to get some gun-smithing done to my two favorite pistols. Basic stuff: reliability work, cleaning, a change of sights, shortening of the trigger. I was thinking of putting those XS Sights on my 1911, and getting my S&W 629 V-comp done up by Magnaport. Still shopping around.

Yeah, levers seem like fun. Dunno, though, only shot a .22 LR pump rifle as a kid with my father. That's all my rifle experience. =) Handguns I picked up on my lonesome.

I have to admit I have very little interest in muzzle loaders. They are some neat guns, but if I got any of them I'd get them converted to cartridge loading to take out all of that hassle. Just my preference. My dad had a muzzle loader, and after a few years of messing with it, it ended up in a box, and has never moved since. Watching him mess with it, I gained no interest.

I'm hardly taking these guys as the primo example of all benchrest shooters. Its like anything, some groups suck and others are lots of fun. Like group with like.

It is NOT a benchrest only range. Basically, Illinois and Wisconsin are still marked in BLACK, even above California, for gun friendliness. We get the gun snobs that think gun banning doesn't apply to them, because they're elite shooters... who can't hit the target. Fancy = good with a lot of them. There are also a lot of idiot shooters around these parts, with police departments getting themselves banned from gun ranges for failure to not destroy the range (e.g. hitting everything EXCEPT the targets).

If you cant' tell, I'm a little unimpressed with the whole gun thing here. Its really silly. I'm no expert shot, either, I'm pretty much a rookie. I qualify at 100%, but its not exactly a hard course of fire, and I'm always amazed at the number of fools with unsafe handling practices. I actually had to show one kid how the sites worked... and he carried for a security company, and was in the navy. :eek:

In any case, my goal this year is to get some gun-smithing done to my two favorite pistols. Basic stuff: reliability work, cleaning, a change of sights, shortening of the trigger. I was thinking of putting those XS Sights on my 1911, and getting my S&W 629 V-comp done up by Magnaport. Still shopping around.

If that Muzzle loader needs a new home.... ;)

I don't feel comfortable with "Express" style sights. I just can't imagine them being very good for accuracy.

I hate Buckhorn and semi buckhorn sights on a rifle too. :mad:

I would go with a Ghost ring on a rifle, first, and they are available for pistols too, but...

A friend bought a Taurus PT1911 last week, with the factory Heinie "straight 8" night sights. He LOVES it, and them. He swears they are faster than conventional night sights (he carries a Glock with conventional night sights on duty as a rural deputy) and that there is no parallax in them. If you aren't lined up, you don't see both dots. These also allow a conventional sight picture during daylight.

I have conventional trijicons on my kimber, I like them just fine. If I was going to put any serious money into upgrades, I would probably add a pair of Crimson Trace Lasergrips. If they were available in the new Green beam laser that would be even better, but they are already out of my price range.

Okay, if I had LOTS of money to spare, I would probably get a 1911 with the conversion either to .45 super or .460 Rowland. The latter is probably getting a little silly though. :D

Oh, I know that cartridge conversion cylinders are available for some of the percussion revolver reproductions, but I DON'T know how that affects the way the ATF views them.

Well, Washington may go the way of California, as our governor seems to want to turn us into California North, but we are a long way from that yet. And Idaho is about as free on guns as it is possible to get. I would move there, but I can't afford to.

I love this thread!:winkgrin:

Here are the firearms my current Pulp heroine, Veronica Dare, uses the most. She's a total gun bunny.

A highly modified version of the Webley MK 3

webley20mark20220189420gr3.jpg

and the SMLE

dx1090ha0.jpg

My current favorite modern arm, the SCAR in 308.

picture220jq8.jpg

and some of my favorite "fantasy" arms. Mostly "Shirow" inspired weapons.

gcx07dr6.jpg

scorpionbykoroneau2.jpg

018sc2.jpg

bsg02eu6.jpg

lotus5uo8.jpg

Edit: I almost forgot my all time favorite.

c969mm1zp1.jpg

If that Muzzle loader needs a new home.... ;)
I'll let ya know if it gets freed up... but if I remember correctly, there's a ball stuck in one of the cylinders.

I don't feel comfortable with "Express" style sights. I just can't imagine them being very good for accuracy.

I hate Buckhorn and semi buckhorn sights on a rifle too. :mad:

I would go with a Ghost ring on a rifle, first, and they are available for pistols too, but...

A friend bought a Taurus PT1911 last week, with the factory Heinie "straight 8" night sights. He LOVES it, and them. He swears they are faster than conventional night sights (he carries a Glock with conventional night sights on duty as a rural deputy) and that there is no parallax in them. If you aren't lined up, you don't see both dots. These also allow a conventional sight picture during daylight.

I have conventional trijicons on my kimber, I like them just fine. If I was going to put any serious money into upgrades, I would probably add a pair of Crimson Trace Lasergrips. If they were available in the new Green beam laser that would be even better, but they are already out of my price range.

As far as sights go, I don't have a terrible affinity for the basic site picture. I do okay with it, but its unwieldy to me. I've been told by an instructor that I have a natural point shooting ability and that I shouldn't mess with it. I find I have a harder time shooting accurately with conventional sights, so the express style suits me just fine. Something about a larger awareness of spatial relativity between front and rear seems to work better for me. Not sure why.

I don't like buckhorn sights, either. Ghost rings work well for me. I strongly considered those straight 8 sights, but they still depend on the conventional sighting system. I've never been able to shoot the whole 3 dot system, I don't imagine making it 2 dots would change it a lot for me, though. Another sight system I'm interested in is Novak's ghost sight with the half moon rear and conventional front sight.

The whole laser thing is interesting. I've only played with them when they were on someone else's gun, but it makes a lot of sense. Shooting a target while standing on the other side of the wall is pretty impressive, too. =)

Okay, if I had LOTS of money to spare, I would probably get a 1911 with the conversion either to .45 super or .460 Rowland. The latter is probably getting a little silly though. :D

Oh, I know that cartridge conversion cylinders are available for some of the percussion revolver reproductions, but I DON'T know how that affects the way the ATF views them.

Well, Washington may go the way of California, as our governor seems to want to turn us into California North, but we are a long way from that yet. And Idaho is about as free on guns as it is possible to get. I would move there, but I can't afford to.

Hmmm, I always thought the .45 ACP was adequate, and that the +P or +P+ loads would fill the gap adequately if a bit more oomph was needed. I've never tried .45 Super or .460 rowland. In any case, I do like the idea of being able to go down to wal-mart to buy the ammo, if needs be, though... and that is the main reason I don't own any exotic ammunition or guns. For some reason, I seem to always fall back to the zombie scenario or any of those kind of doomsday ideals for picking my main guns.

I have a thing for the cowboy idea, too, keeping rifles and pistols in the same caliber as to be easily convenient to both. I'm no long-shot, so keeping it short and easy works well for me. With .45 ACP and .44 Magnum as my main calibers, it works well. I suppose to be truly zombie-ready, I should probably have a 9mm, since they're so common, but I really do hate that caliber. =/

Nice contributions' date=' Talon, ripped a bunch of the pics. =)[/quote']

Thanks, I'll have to do some digging, I know I have some more. Was grabbing every sci fi gun pic I could find for awhile for my Serenity game that never got off the ground.

:love:

Gee thanks... you just reminded me how much I want one of those.

;)

I'll let ya know if it gets freed up... but if I remember correctly, there's a ball stuck in one of the cylinders.

As far as sights go, I don't have a terrible affinity for the basic site picture. I do okay with it, but its unwieldy to me. I've been told by an instructor that I have a natural point shooting ability and that I shouldn't mess with it. I find I have a harder time shooting accurately with conventional sights, so the express style suits me just fine. Something about a larger awareness of spatial relativity between front and rear seems to work better for me. Not sure why.

I don't like buckhorn sights, either. Ghost rings work well for me. I strongly considered those straight 8 sights, but they still depend on the conventional sighting system. I've never been able to shoot the whole 3 dot system, I don't imagine making it 2 dots would change it a lot for me, though. Another sight system I'm interested in is Novak's ghost sight with the half moon rear and conventional front sight.

The whole laser thing is interesting. I've only played with them when they were on someone else's gun, but it makes a lot of sense. Shooting a target while standing on the other side of the wall is pretty impressive, too. =)

Hmmm, I always thought the .45 ACP was adequate, and that the +P or +P+ loads would fill the gap adequately if a bit more oomph was needed. I've never tried .45 Super or .460 rowland. In any case, I do like the idea of being able to go down to wal-mart to buy the ammo, if needs be, though... and that is the main reason I don't own any exotic ammunition or guns. For some reason, I seem to always fall back to the zombie scenario or any of those kind of doomsday ideals for picking my main guns.

I have a thing for the cowboy idea, too, keeping rifles and pistols in the same caliber as to be easily convenient to both. I'm no long-shot, so keeping it short and easy works well for me. With .45 ACP and .44 Magnum as my main calibers, it works well. I suppose to be truly zombie-ready, I should probably have a 9mm, since they're so common, but I really do hate that caliber. =/

I happen to have a gunsmith for a father with a pretty full machine shop. ;)

The big advantage in my case of the .45 super or .460 Rowland is that they would provide a better power range for hunting.

I want a .45 long colt, but... No money.

I happen to have a gunsmith for a father with a pretty full machine shop. ;)

The big advantage in my case of the .45 super or .460 Rowland is that they would provide a better power range for hunting.

I want a .45 long colt, but... No money.

...gunsmith father... *DROOL* Anybody well known or just local gunsmith kind of guy?

Well, put that way, .45 Super and .460 Rowland make more sense... but never planned on hunting with my 1911. That's what the 629 is for, if needs be, or its companion carbine that I hope to get someday. =)

.45 Long Colt is kind of weird to me. Its big, originally for black powder, so to load it stout you need a stronger than usual gun... but to load it more traditionally, you need to wad it or something with modern powders... from what I've read, anyway. No experience with the round.

Hmmm... should I PM you about your father's gunsmithing? =) I always like to spend my money with someone I know (sort of, in this case) than a stranger if possible, but I'm shopping with pretty respectable gunsmiths and skipping the local guy this time around.

019il4.jpg

That's one way to go with one of those old broomhandles, I guess...

boltgun4xu4.jpg

Hehe, not bad if you're a space marine...

0110fl6.jpg

Another beretta mod... I really don't get the fascination with this pistol...

0112qx8.jpg

Pretty cool derringer...

01yt3.jpg

Wow, even more weight on a desert eagle.. yeesh...

kusaweapon01jc0.jpg

And who doesn't love the minigun... hahaha... nice.

...gunsmith father... *DROOL* Anybody well known or just local gunsmith kind of guy?

Well, put that way, .45 Super and .460 Rowland make more sense... but never planned on hunting with my 1911. That's what the 629 is for, if needs be, or its companion carbine that I hope to get someday. =)

.45 Long Colt is kind of weird to me. Its big, originally for black powder, so to load it stout you need a stronger than usual gun... but to load it more traditionally, you need to wad it or something with modern powders... from what I've read, anyway. No experience with the round.

Hmmm... should I PM you about your father's gunsmithing? =) I always like to spend my money with someone I know (sort of, in this case) than a stranger if possible, but I'm shopping with pretty respectable gunsmiths and skipping the local guy this time around.

Al Ewing, Ewings Scopestands. He was a top "Service Rifle" shooter for years, and makes a really nice scope stand for spotting scopes. He makes a "tactical" version that is even sweeter, there are a number of them in use by SOCOM. :D

He doesn't do a lot of smithing anymore, but he does a little.

I'll PM the web address and phone numbers to you. Not that you could not figure it out, but...:D