Colossus

Dennis Shaw

Re: Colossus

The "whirlwind dude" was Riptide of the Marauders.

I question Colossus' LS concerning the Intense Heat/Cold, considering that was something that caused him to become a statue...

Wouldn't that best be covered as a Disadvantage like Vulnerability (x2 effect from temperature based Adjustment powers?) or Susceptibility (Transform effects instead of actual damage). In both cases he isn't really taking more damage in the traditional sense (Stun or Body) so Life Support still makes sense for the mundane cases of normal flames or icy weather conditions.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I approached Colossus a bit differently, myself.

Assume 20 STR in Piotr form, and characteristics and skills appropriate to an X-man/Russian farmboy/artist:

[b]Colossus Powers[/b]
[font=Courier New]22 Zero Endurance (+1/2) for 55 STR, OHID (-1/4) 27 AP - Tireless [0][/font]
[font=Courier New] 9 +15 STR, OHID(-1/4), No figured Stats (-1/2) - Steel strength[/font]
[font=Courier New]29 12 rPD/rED Armor, OHID(-1/4) 36 AP - Steel toughness [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]40 Full Life Support, OHID (-1/4) 50 AP (or however much it costs for LS vs. everything in your campaign) [-][/font]
[font=Courier New] 2 +1" Running, OHID (-1/4) [0][/font]
[font=Courier New] 6 Zero Endurance (+1/2) for 7" Running, OHID (-1/4) 7 AP - Tireless [0][/font]
[font=Courier New]-0 -2" Swimming, OHID (-1/4)[/font]
[font=Courier New]12 2 levels Growth, +1/4 Only costs END to start [1] - Colossal Height[/font]
[font=Courier New] 4 6 pts Elemental Control Osmium Alloy Body, Linked to Growth (-1/2)[/font]
[font=Courier New] 4 a) 2 levels Density Increase, +1/4 Only costs END to start [1][/font]
[font=Courier New] 4  5 rPD/rED Force Field, +1/4 Only costs END to start [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]---[/font]
[font=Courier New]134 Total Powers[/font]

I'm not a huge fan of OHID, but if ever a brick deserved it, it's poor Piotr, whose big heavy form often caused him a ton of trouble, well worth the 24 points he saved.

Considering the number of killing attacks that penetrated his armored form and the number of times he was knocked out, I didn't increase his CON past 20, and kept his overall DEF at 27/17.

I even gave him the NCM disadvantage. Considering he was once defeated by Dazzler with a garden hose, I don't doubt he's a normally maximally disadvantaged character.

Later in his career, he beefed up considerably, of course.

No, Knockback is independent of damage actually inflicted on the target.

KB is essentially what causes a baseball to fly off a bat.

I understand what Knockback does but I may be off on what causes it.

It is my understanding that an attack had to do body damage to cause Knockback.

Example I: My version of Colossus has 20 DEF and an average 12d6 attack would be worth 12 BODY and 42 STUN. So if he was hit with an attack like this he would take 0 BODY and 22 STUN. Apply his Damage Reduction and he ends up taking 11 STUN from the attack. No BODY damage got through so Knockback was not caused by the attack.

Example II: Lets say that my version of Colossus didn't have Lack of Weakness and someone used the same attack as described above but used Find Weakness to half his DEF. He is now at DEF 10 and 2 BODY and 32 STUN get past his DEF. Apply his Damage Reduction and he takes 1 BODY and 16 STUN from the attack. Since BODY damage got through Knockback was caused by the attack. To determine haw far he gets knocked back you use the number of BODY damage in the attack (not the number o body damage that gets past the DEF). In this case that number is 12 so Colossus gets knocked back 12" from the attack.

If I am wrong can sombody please clarify?

I understand what Knockback does but I may be off on what causes it.

Example I: My version of Colossus has 20 DEF and an average 12d6 attack would be worth 12 BODY and 42 STUN. So if he was hit with an attack like this he would take 0 BODY and 22 STUN. Apply his Damage Reduction and he ends up taking 11 STUN from the attack. No BODY damage got through

So he did not take any BODY damage. That's the last of your correct conclusions.

Figuring how much Knockback he takes is a totally separate calculation from how much damage he takes which begins with the original 12 BODY rolled from the attack.

Since it was a normal (as opposed to killing) attack you subtract 2d6 and any KB resistance from it. Say we roll a 7 on the 2d6. That leaves you with 5 or 5" of Knockback done to the target. If the original 12d6 attack was a Martial HTH attack the target gets to roll an additional 1d6 to subtract from KB done. Also, if the attack was a killing attack (Ranged or HTH) you also get to subtract an additional 1d6. See 5E or 5ER for more details.

These are the basic rules for KB. They haven't really changed since 4th edition. The easiest way to use them is to figure KB before subtracting defenses on the target.

Perhaps I may be of assistance. Yes, an attack does need to do BODY damage to cause Knockback. So attacks that don't do BODY--most NND attacks, for example--don't cause Knockback. Attacks that have the potential to cause BODY damage, like standard EBs, KAs, or punches, can also do Knockback as a result.

Here's the critical bit: a character does not need to suffer BODY damage from an attack to take Knockback from it.

Example I: My version of Colossus has 20 DEF and an average 12d6 attack would be worth 12 BODY and 42 STUN. So if he was hit with an attack like this he would take 0 BODY and 22 STUN. Apply his Damage Reduction and he ends up taking 11 STUN from the attack. No BODY damage got through so Knockback was not caused by the attack.

Standard, Resistant, and even Hardened Defenses have no effect on Knockback. The only things that affect Knockback, if I recall correctly, are Density, Growth, and Knockback Resistance.

Let's take look at your example above. Your version of Colossus would, indeed, take 11 STUN and no BODY from the attack. However, Knockback is determined independently of all that. Let's say this attack was a punch thrown by another brick--Arclight, for example. After tallying the STUN and BODY, Arclight's player rolls two additional dice. Let's say she rolls 7. She subtracts this from the BODY total to get 5" of Knockback (12 - 7 = 5). Assuming that Colossus has one level each of Growth and Density Increase, as suggested by some of the other builds, we factor those into the Knockback calculation as well: Growth gives -1" Knockback/Level and Density Increase gives -1"/level. So, in the end, you end up with a total of 3" Knockback that Piotr takes from the attack (5 - 1 - 1 = 3).

In short, you can do Knockback to a character without getting any BODY through their defenses. For example, I remember a fight between several of Colossus' teammates and Juggernaut. Juggy hit Rogue and sent her flying several hundred feet (and through a stone fence, as I recall). Rogue spent the trip shouting "Ow-ow-ow-ow-OW-ow-ow...", but when she got up, she had no bruises, broken bones, or other impairing injuries. In other words, she'd taken a lot of Knockback--enough to send her trough a stone fence--but had taken no BODY damage.

I hope that helps.

Colossus

VAL CHA Cost Total Roll Notes

20 STR 10 20/60 13- / 21- HTH Damage 4d6/12d6 END [2/6]

20 DEX 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

20 CON 20 20/40 13- / 17-

20 BODY 20 20/30 13- / 15-

13 INT 3 13 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 14 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 20/30 13- / 15- PRE Attack: 4d6 / 6d6

12 COM 1 12 11-

8 PD 4 8/20 8/20 PD (8/20 rPD)

8 ED 4 8/20 8/20 ED (8/20 rED)

4 SPD 10 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8 REC 0 8/20

40 END 0 40/80

40 STUN 0 40/80

6 RUN 0 6" END [1]

2 SWIM 0 2" END [1]

4 LEAP 0 4"/12" 4"/12" forward, 2"/6" upward

CHA Cost: 120

Cost POWERS

20 Armored Form: Life Support (Total)

(Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents;

Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal;

Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold;

Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing;

Sleeping: Character does not sleep), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used

(Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power;

Increases Size and Mass to 7'6" and 550lbs & Losses Sense of Smell/Taste; +0) (51 Active Points);

Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4),

Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate/Deactivate, -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4),

Visible (-1/4) - END=0

27 Armored Form: +40 STR (40 Active Points);

Linked (Armored Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4),

Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=4

27 Armored Form: +20 CON (40 Active Points);

Linked (Armored Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4),

Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0

13 Armored Form: +10 BODY (20 Active Points);

7 Armored Form: +10 PRE (10 Active Points);

14 Armored Form: Damage Resistance (16 PD/12 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (21 Active Points);

9 Armored Form: Hardened (x2; +1/2) for up to 28 Active Points of Normal Defenses (16PD/12ED)

(14 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4),

Linked (Armored Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) - END=0

18 Armored Form: Armor (4 PD/8 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (27 Active Points);

15 Armored Form: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2),

15 Armored Form: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2),

7 Armored Form: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Resistant Defenses (10 Active Points);

7 Armored Form: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Normal Defense (10 Active Points);

13 Armored Form: Power Defense (20 points) (20 Active Points);

13 Armored Form: Knockback Resistance -10" (20 Active Points);

POWERS Cost: 205

Cost SKILLS

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

2 KS: Art 11-

2 PS: Artist 11-

15 +3 with HTH Combat

SKILLS Cost: 25

Value DISADVANTAGES

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

DISADVANTAGES Points: 20

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 130

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 350

This is my revised version.

Thank you for the lessons on Knockback.

Knockback Resistance is a must for this character.

I have also made some other changes to my original concept based on everybodies input.

Here is the original concept.

Colossus

VAL CHA Cost Total Roll Notes

20 STR 10 20/50 13- / 19- HTH Damage 4d6/10d6 END [2/5]

20 DEX 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

20 CON 20 20/30 13- / 15-

20 BODY 20 20 13-

13 INT 3 13 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 14 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 20/30 13- / 15- PRE Attack: 4d6 / 6d6

18 COM 4 18 13-

8 PD 4 8/20 8/20 PD (0/20 rPD)

8 ED 4 8/20 8/20 ED (0/20 rED)

4 SPD 10 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

12 REC 4 12/20

40 END 0 40/60

40 STUN 0 40/60

6 RUN 0 6" END [1]

2 SWIM 0 2" END [1]

4 LEAP 0 4"/10" 4"/10" forward, 2"/5" upward

CHA Cost: 127

Cost POWERS

20 Armored Form: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat;

Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents;

Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal;

Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation;

Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum;

Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep), Side Effects,

Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used

(Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power;

Increases Size and Mass to 7'6" and 550lbs & Losses Sense of Smell/Taste; +0)

(51 Active Points);Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4),

Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate/Deactivate, -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4),

Visible (-1/4) - END=0

24 Armored Form: Armor (6 PD/10 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (36 Active Points);

20 Armored Form: +30 STR (30 Active Points);

Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=3

13 Armored Form: +10 CON (20 Active Points);

7 Armored Form: +10 PRE (10 Active Points);

3 Armored Form: +2 REC (4 Active Points);

12 Armored Form: Damage Resistance (14 PD/10 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (18 Active Points);

8 Armored Form: Hardened (x2; +1/2) for up to 24 Active Points of Normal Defenses (14PD/10ED)

(12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4),

Linked (Armored Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) - END=0

13 Armored Form: Power Defense (20 points) (20 Active Points);

15 Armored Form: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2),

15 Armored Form: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2),

7 Armored Form: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Resistant Defenses (10 Active Points);

7 Armored Form: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Normal Defense (10 Active Points);

POWERS Cost: 164

Cost MARTIAL ARTS

4 Basic Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 / 12d6 Strike

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 20

Cost SKILLS

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

2 KS: Art 11-

2 PS: Artist 11-

15 +3 with HTH Combat

SKILLS Cost: 25

Cost PERKS

5 Money: Well Off

PERKS Cost: 5

Cost TALENTS

9 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

TALENTS Cost: 9

Value DISADVANTAGES

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

DISADVANTAGES Points: 20

Exp Required: 130

Thank you everyone for your help and opinions.

I will write up the Disads and history for the second version and post them as soon as I can.

Here is another question though: How well does my second version of this character size up against other starter 350 point characters?

Is he too limited? Too strong? Too weak? Too tough?

As I stated before I am very green and still don't know everything there is to know about character creation.

With 12 dc attack at 10 ocv 7 dcv he should be pretty normal in a CU model universe. However, with 4 speed, he will be slow.

With 20 def plus 50% resistance and the hardening, 80 stun, 40 con, etc. He will be up at the end of your average fight (damage reduction makes a character last for a long time). In short, a pretty solid 350 character - damage sponge and brick.

If you want to stick at 4 speed, I would recommend boosting to 70 str (14 dc / 4 speed = slow, but hits hard). On the defense front, you are fine.

In order to get there you can tweak the build: remove immortal from LS, reduce power def (to 10), LOW (to 5), KB resistance (to -6 or so) to get points. I would also add a couple of " to his running. My memory is that he used to run around, not jump. Right now, he is limited in movement unless he starts bouncing around.

You might also want to consider a power skill.

While it is a matter of style, I like some of hte suggestions from the others with DI instead of the build you have. However, they both work.

I suggest taking a look at Conquerers Killers and Crooks (CKC).

Durak of Eurostar is about as vanilla a brick there is (no OIHID or Focus) built on ~420 points if I remember correctly. He outclasses both your and my version of Colossus in every way: CV, SPD, Defenses (40 PD/30 ED) and Damage (70 STR). He would do ~15 Stun per hit on either version and either version of Colossus's non-Haymakered attacks would do ~2 Stun per hit. There are only a handful of more powerful Bricks than Durak and most are built on more points or have severe limitations (like Ripper's STR charges). Durak is probably the easiest to use baseline for Bricks in the Champions Univers imo.

Martial Arts is both a plus and minus for Bricks imo. It increases Damage at the expense of doing less 1d6 less KB. Being able to knock an opponent away can be as important as doing damage to him in some situation.

Durak of Eurostar is about as vanilla a brick there is (no OIHID or Focus) built on ~420 points if I remember correctly. He outclasses both your and my version of Colossus in every way: CV' date=' SPD, Defenses (40 PD/30 ED) and Damage (70 STR). He would do ~15 Stun per hit on either version and either version of Colossus's non-Haymakered attacks would do ~2 Stun per hit. There are only a handful of more powerful Bricks than Durak and most are built on more points or have severe limitations (like Ripper's STR charges). Durak is probably the easiest to use baseline for Bricks in the Champions Univers imo.[/quote']

I generally agree with Hyper Man. One thing I would note, however, is that Durak is not supposed to be a starting level character. As such, you might want to compare your Colussus against Ogre or Ironclad who are also relatively generic starting level bricks.

Against Ironclad, your Colussus would have roughly equivalent CV (1 HTH level less), less speed. His hits would do ~10 Stun per shot (though he might get it up to ~16 stun if he managed to find weakness against the odds). Colussus would hit for ~ 14 Stun per shot. Due to KB resistence, both characters would not KBed by the other (on average). Due to the Damage Reduction and high Con, you don't have to worry about being stunned.

In short, I think either version of Colussus would be a relatively durable and effective in combat.

• 1 year later...

In short, you can do Knockback to a character without getting any BODY through their defenses. For example, I remember a fight between several of Colossus' teammates and Juggernaut. Juggy hit Rogue and sent her flying several hundred feet (and through a stone fence, as I recall). Rogue spent the trip shouting "Ow-ow-ow-ow-OW-ow-ow...", but when she got up, she had no bruises, broken bones, or other impairing injuries. In other words, she'd taken a lot of Knockback--enough to send her trough a stone fence--but had taken no BODY damage.

I hope that helps.

Actually Juggy hit Captain Britian and he flew miles outside of town and made a furrow through the ground and a brick wall.

Actually, I didn't have an issue making Pete on 350 pts. I've included him below both as Code and as hdc file :)

[url=http://www.marvel.com/universe/Colossus_%28Piotr_Rasputin%29][b]Colossus - Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin[/b][/url]
[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/AstonColossus.png]
[code][b]Colossus - Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
18    STR     8   18/75      13- / 24-       HTH Damage 3 1/2d6/15d6  END [2/7]
16    DEX     18   16      12-       OCV 5 DCV 5
18    CON     16   18/30      13- / 15-
10    BODY    0   10/20      11- / 13-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
13    EGO     6   13      12-       ECV: 4
15    PRE     5   15/25      12- / 14-       PRE Attack: 3d6 / 5d6
16    COM     3   16      12-
5    PD      1   5/23             5/23 PD (0/15 rPD)
5    ED      1   5/23             5/23 ED (0/15 rED)
4    SPD     14   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
10    REC     4   10
60    END     12   60
35    STUN    7   35
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   3 1/2"/14 1/2"                3 1/2"/14 1/2" forward, 1 1/2"/7" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 98[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
45     [b][i]Osmium Skin[/i][/b]: Armor (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
    Osmium Form, all slots Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
19     1)  [b][i]Enhanced Strength[/i][/b]: +42 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=4
11     2)  [b][i]Enhanced Endurance[/i][/b]: +12 CON; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     3)  [b][i]Enhanced Health[/i][/b]: +10 BODY; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
4     4)  [b][i]Immovable Stance[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -4"; Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
4     5)  [b][i]Intimidating Form[/i][/b]: +10 PRE; PRE Attack Only (-1), Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
17     6)  [b][i]Osmium Invulnerablity[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
17     7)  [b][i]Osmium Invulnerablity[/i][/b]: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
12     8)  [b][i]Osmium Skin II[/i][/b]: Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -3" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
8     9)  [b][i]Osmium Stamina[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week); Linked (Osmium Skin; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
12     [b][i]Xavier Academy Training[/i][/b]: Mental Defense (15 points total) - END=0
    X-Men Uniform, all slots OIF: Uniform (-1/2) - END=
20     1)  [b][i]Built in Communicator[/i][/b]: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Targeting, Tracking; OIF: Uniform (-1/2) - END=0
3     2)  [b][i]Unstable Molecules[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat); OIF: Uniform (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 181[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     X-Men Combat Training
5      1)  Defensive Block:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
3      2)  Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 28 STR  / 85 STR for holding on

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 8[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
24      +3 with All Combat, Requires A Teamwork (X-Men) Roll  (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0)

3      Breakfall 12-
5      Brick Tricks 14- (25-)
3      Climbing 12-
1      Combat Piloting 8-
4      KS: Art 13-
2      KS: World Cutures 11-
4      Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
2      Language:  Japanese (fluent conversation)
3      Oratory 12- (14-)
1      Paramedics 8-
6      PS: Artist 15- (17-)
3      Teamwork (X-Men) 12-
2      TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft

[b]SKILLS Cost: 63[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Distinctive Features:  Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10     Enraged:  When Friends Harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
20     Hunted:  Anti-Mutant Factions 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
25     Hunted:  X-Men Enemies 11- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Believes in the Dream (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  In Love with Shadowcat (Common, Strong)
15     Reputation:  X-Man, 11- (Extreme)
5     Unluck: 1d6
20     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Magnetic Effects in Hero Form (Common)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Exp Required: 0

re: OIHID and Colossus

1. His ability to switch between his 'normal' and 'armored' forms is instantaneous and completely under his control.

2. The only thing short of an adjustment power (like Drain, Suppress or Transform) that can force him out of his 'armored' and into a 'normal' form is being unconscious (Knocked Out in HERO terms). He has stayed in his 'armored' state for as long as 5 days with no ill effects.

#1 Rules out the legality of OIHID since its rules state that the transition between forms must take at least 1 full phase.

#2 Requires near full Life Support.

1. His ability to switch between his 'normal' and 'armored' forms is instantaneous and completely under his control.

2. The only thing short of an adjustment power (like Drain, Suppress or Transform) that can force him out of his 'armored' and into a 'normal' form is being unconscious (Knocked Out in HERO terms). He has stayed in his 'armored' state for as long as 5 days with no ill effects.

#1 Rules out the legality of OIHID since its rules state that the transition between forms must take at least 1 full phase.

Then build it as a multiform? Can't that work?

Then build it as a multiform? Can't that work?

Multiform is great if the character's skills and other mental abilities change with forms (see Beast Boy of the Teen Titans as an example).

If all the forms have essentially the same mind and skills then the player is going to be paying an 'XP Tax' on all future XP since any new skill for the first form has be bought for the second one as well.

While it may not be strictly legal, as a GM I would have little problem with allowing OIHID on Colossus. The Hero ID still has a major drawback: extreme distinctive features. If he's in a world of mutie angst, that's still a big consideration. Changing in public could do more harm than good.

That being said, if nobody is going to react to seeing him in steel form, then no, there's probably no limitation.

One phase is how long?

Why would #2 be an issue?

One phase is how long?

Why would #2 be an issue?

Correction, I meant a full phase or longer that can be interrupted.

His change can't be (unlike Captain Marvel/Shazam).

Colossus in the comics does not need to sleep when in 'armored' form.

His Life Support is 'his' ability, not part of his costume. (you asked)

Correction, I meant a full phase or longer that can be interrupted.

His change can't be (unlike Captain Marvel/Shazam).

Colossus in the comics does not need to sleep when in 'armored' form.

His Life Support is 'his' ability, not part of his costume. (you asked)

On the case of the interruption, I'm sure there'd be some that could interrupt it, but sure, it can't be commonly done.

Can you please cite a source for the no sleeping bit? I've been reading X-Men a while now and curious as to when they made this reference. The LS in his costume is something in common with all X-Men uniforms.

HM, how would you build him then? To me, Colossus is a poster child for OIHID :) And have allowed and used characters akin to it in many a game :D

On the case of the interruption, I'm sure there'd be some that could interrupt it, but sure, it can't be commonly done.

Can you please cite a source for the no sleeping bit? I've been reading X-Men a while now and curious as to when they made this reference. The LS in his costume is something in common with all X-Men uniforms.

HM, how would you build him then? To me, Colossus is a poster child for OIHID :) And have allowed and used characters akin to it in many a game :D

If you search earlier in this thread you will find my posted version and another post by TheQuestionMan with 2 links to very detailed descriptions of the comic character.