"real" Magic resources

CraterMaker

Re: "real" Magic resources

IIRC' date=' Crowley, aka The Wickedest Man Alive, was the one who really pushed for "magic with a K" as Will Working, not to be confused with the "no-K magic" with the handkerchiefs and cards and coins and whatnot. I'm [i']certainly[/i] not saying he was the first to spell it that way, but before him the "k" was used for one of two reasons; referencing an old text, or actually being an old text. Do recall, this word comes from the Olde language, before they invented spelling. ;)

Yu are korect.

Do recall' date=' this word comes from the Olde language, before they invented spelling. ;)[/quote']

Little Lord Fauntleroy references I was not expecting.....I should probably rep you for surprising me.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary hasn't surprised me yet today, but then I've just had breakfast.

• 3 years later...

Since thread necromancy seems effective...

Richard Kieckhefer - Magic in the Middle Ages

Claire Fanger - Conjuring Spirits: Texts and Traditions of Medieval Ritual Magic

Elizabeth M. Butler - Ritual Magic

These are all readable. Kieckhefer's the most scholarly. Good luck sorting through all the New Age codswallop on the hunt for this sort of material.

Little Lord Fauntleroy references I was not expecting.....I should probably rep you for surprising me.

Sadly, I didn't see this for three and a half years. And even more sadly, I wasn't referencing Little Lord Fauntleroy, but Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens, specifically Anathema Device, who mentions that her ancestress' book of predictions (all 100% accurate, if a tad... focused) was written in Old, before they invented spelling. It's possible that either Gaiman or Pratchett knew the origin, but I was merely being a fanboy.

And while the Voynich Manuscript may not be "magical", it is sufficiently weird enough to play it in Peoria. I'd totally believe it was a grimoire, or at least a herbary from some other world, possibly Faerie.