Persuasion Restrainable?

Re: Persuasion Restrainable?

While I can see the Forgery Limitation ... "History" (Medieval Only) I see as a bit dubious.

I'd go, KS: History and KS: Medieval History and use KS: MH as a complimantary roll to KS: H as appropriate.

But that's just me. :)

Look at Cataran's write up in CKC. She's an immortal and has history with extra levels for the centuries she was alive in. I've never built a character with levels in history because I tend to load up on overlapping background skills (as you appear to do), but there is an official, published example of that very limitation. The Forgery limitation, however, I have used.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting point. Based on the rules as presented this seems out of place too. I don't think social skills are inherently Restrainable or Entangle-able any more than a Knowledge Skill would be. Here is another "what if". Would you allow a Vampire-like character to buy Seduction with the Requires Eye Contact limitation? Why? How is this different from a Restrainable Persuasion?

I wouldn't do this in my campaign, because it would only work once before the PCs said, "Don't look into his eyes!" and all built themselves blinders. But for Requires Eye Contact, it isn't just useless if the character with that limitation is blinded or blocked, somehow; it's also useless if the character it's being attempted against has her back to the vampire, turns her head, or deliberately avoids looking him in the eyes. The vampire could grab his victim and force her to look up into his eyes, but that kind of negates the purpose of Seduction in the first place.

To me, it seems like the restrainability of most social skills is already built into the skills, as everyone has the same capacity to have such skills made useless by being knocked out, grabbed or tied up and gagged. But Requires Eye Contact is unusual, and gives the PCs (or NPCs) more of a chance to negate the skill, because it relies on an extraordinary situation.

Re: Sure, I would allow 'doe' eyes.

This is an interesting point. Based on the rules as presented this seems out of place too. I don't think social skills are inherently Restrainable or Entangle-able any more than a Knowledge Skill would be. Here is another "what if". Would you allow a Vampire-like character to buy Seduction with the Requires Eye Contact limitation? Why? How is this different from a Restrainable Persuasion?

Does Seduction require eye contact by default? That's a campaign question, but I will suggest no - it is possible to seduce a person who is blind, has no eyes, or who is wearing opaque sunglasses. It is possible to seduce a person in the dark, to seduce a person by telephone, by speaking through a partition, or by serenading them below their window.

None of these are possible to the Vampire. Therefore, his Seduction is limited.

Similarly, if my default rule were that Persuasion can be done non-verbally, a character who must use words to persuade has a limitation. If my default rule is that Persuasion requires verbal communication, an advantage is required to overcome that requirement.

Wow. I thought people would bash me for calling this post out. I am glad to see some opposing view points.

Look, don't get my wrong, that player may have actually gotten physically assaulted at my game. I do however think this is a fun discussion of the rules hence my opposing viewpoints.

Look at Cataran's write up in CKC. She's an immortal and has history with extra levels for the centuries she was alive in. I've never built a character with levels in history because I tend to load up on overlapping background skills (as you appear to do)' date=' but there is an official, published example of that very limitation. The Forgery limitation, however, I have used.[/quote']

I'll have to look at that Character.