Holographic technology and the use of Flight...

Samuraiko

First off, not sure if this goes here or in HERO SYSTEM discussion, but I'll start it here...

I have a slightly... odd idea on how to use Flight for a character of mine, but a few logistical questions have come to mind.

First, let me explain how she uses Flight. Morrigan's primary 'schtick' involves the use of holographic and computer technology. So, in keeping with that, she has Flight (Limitation: Must Be in Contact with a Driveable Surface), during which she 'rezzes' up, a la TRON, a motorcycle hologram that looks like the bastard hybrid of a TRON Lightcycle and Priss' MotoSlave in BUBBLEGUM CRISIS TOKYO 2040. (The motorcycle program - SLEIPNIR - is controlled through the terminal she has installed in her cybernetic left arm.)

But it lends itself to some interesting practical questions.

1) If the motorcycle itself doesn't actually exist, and what Morrigan is REALLY doing is flying, not driving, would she need a driver's license for using the motorcycle on the roads? For that matter, would she need to 'register' the bike?

2) Our campaign setting may well have the whole SmartChip thing that Millennium City has (that system that controls traffic)... how would Morrigan be able to interface with that? (Because traffic is moving at 200+ mph, and there's no way to track her being on the highway...)

3) In great cinematic tradition, we often see the hero/heroine lay down the motorcycle to slide under something (and if you're in a John Woo film, get the bike back up and keep going)... if the motorcycle is just a hologram, how would Morrigan be able to duplicate said feat?

I'm sure I'll think of others, but those are the three that come to mind right now.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Re: Holographic technology and the use of Flight...

Uhmmm... magic pixies and dark incantations?

Seriously though... it's not that big an issue, if you think about it.

John Woo style stunts? How can her hologram let her do *anything* if it can't let her do that sort of stuff? Let's face it, the darned thing needs to have some sort of physicality to let this stuff work - that, or it's just a special effect of her actual flight ability and who gives a fig how it lets her do anything? Because it *is* just a special effect; the hologram looks like it does what it has to, and she just twists or moves to fly in the appropriate manner.

Really... "just call it SFX and be done with it" is more apt in this case than most, because that's really what it is.

As for legal issues... if I were her, I'd register it and just not tell anybody about the hologram issue, if she's not worried about being traced by it. She could interface with the Smart Chip system simply by tapping her computer into it - shouldn't be too difficult, particularly not if she's registered it and they know what she's up to.

So... honestly, I'd say just handwave most of the practical issues away, get it registered and licensed, and have fun. Because that's all she's probably doing - why should you work harder than your character? :D

What do you mean by "driveable surface"? Does she wipe out when she hits an oil slick or sink if she drives across a pond? And what actually holds her up?

Well (and forgive the sheer snarky wisea** sound of this next phrase), if you want to get 'physical' about it, what would happen if you were running/skimming along a surface at 200+ mph and hit an oil slick? (I imagine there's a point where you're going so fast that you're over said problem before you realize you've hit it - whereas if she were going slower, ie normal driving speeds, an oil slick would be a problem.)

As for a body of water - I keep imagining Dash in THE INCREDIBLES booking it over the lake. How fast would one have to be going to take advantage of surface tension?

"Driveable surface" = as in "not up the side of a building" or "something resembling that place in Utah where they shot part of GALAXY QUEST where the rocks make it look like you'd be driving on bubble wrap". Highways, roads, dirt paths, sidewalks, something a land-based vehicle other than the Bat-tank could navigate.

Does that help?

:D

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

As an aside - I like the idea. :) Sounds very cool' date=' and like a handy way to simulate many a super-bike.[/quote']

Thank you - when I described this to John T and Dust Raven, both of them paused for a moment, then said in that kind of slow, thoughtful, "I knew I gamed with this woman for a reason" tone of voice:

"I like it... yeah."

(It was really funny when John started making the Lightcycle sound effects in the background while I was telling Dust Raven about it.)

Considering Morrigan is 17, I'm just imagining some high school football jock hitting on her with the whole "you want a ride in my truck?" kind of line, and Morrigan giving him this withering look before rezzing the bike up out of nothingness.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Well (and forgive the sheer snarky wisea** sound of this next phrase), if you want to get 'physical' about it, what would happen if you were running/skimming along a surface at 200+ mph and hit an oil slick? (I imagine there's a point where you're going so fast that you're over said problem before you realize you've hit it - whereas if she were going slower, ie normal driving speeds, an oil slick would be a problem.)

As for a body of water - I keep imagining Dash in THE INCREDIBLES booking it over the lake. How fast would one have to be going to take advantage of surface tension?

"Driveable surface" = as in "not up the side of a building" or "something resembling that place in Utah where they shot part of GALAXY QUEST where the rocks make it look like you'd be driving on bubble wrap". Highways, roads, dirt paths, sidewalks, something a land-based vehicle other than the Bat-tank could navigate.

Does that help?

:D

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

That means that your cycle is actually a temporarily physical object, rather than say, just a holographic image projected by your costume as it propells you by repulsorlift or something. Morrigan is not flying. She's driving a magic motorcyle, same as Ghost Rider. The same laws apply to her as apply to anyone who decides to drive a zamboni through the city as someone who was recently busted for drunken zamboni driving can attest. In theory that would mean the law would say you have to register it and be a licensed driver to take it out on public thoroughfaires. I note however that this is the kind of law Batman (or Ghost Rider) never even thought twice about. Additionally, because her motorcyle is a temporarily physical object you can assume it can at the least do any stunt that such a vehicle could do, and doubtless a bit more.

As for the smart chip thing, well she has a computer and radio communication doesn't she?

In the long ago tv series Automan, the holographic vehicles had the 'Not Real' limitation. They turned corners at 90 degrees without changing velocity. They came to a full stop without slowing down first. They accelerated to full speed instantly.

Not so bad for the holographic hero. Tended to damage Walter Nebicher (Desi Arnaz, Jr.), his inventor.

Stunt riding was possible on this sort of vehicle, except they were programmed in. They would work exactly the same way, every time, however improbably. I seem to recall one episode where Automan raced his motorcycle (Autocycle?) along the girders of a bridge on one wheel, with the same 'bad CGI' effects. And then rode off down the highway, still on one wheel.

My question: Why is it bought as Flight and not Running?

I say just let the SFX determine things. That's the easiest and allows for the GM to occasionally make things difficult. Buy the power with a Requires a Skill Roll: Combat Driving (Motorcycle).

The whole thing sounds like your classic comic book "Hard Light Construct". Which is rubber science speak for "I make solid objects out of energy. They glow. It's cool."

My question: Why is it bought as Flight and not Running?

I'm wondering that same thing. What advantage does using Flight give here? By default, Flight has a Turn Mode and makes her potentially take more knockback (depending on rules interpretation). If you wanted that effect, you can take Turn Mode as a limitation on Running.

The only reason I would use Flight to simulate Running/Ground Movement would probably be if I wanted the ability to run up walls, over water and on power lines or similar ridiculously thin and difficult to balance on surfaces.

On the other hand, perhaps she's gone this route so she can make really, really big, agile leaps with the thing when she hits a ramp.

But honestly, it sounds like the bike can't do any of that... :confused:

It's been the subject of much debate between me, John T, and Dust Raven on exactly what it can and can't do.

As far as the Running vs Flight thing goes, Flight w/ the initial limitation "Only when in contact with a surface" can have the limitation bought off. If I buy Running, and later want Flight, that's a lot more expensive. (I'm trying to take the long term view.)

Yes, we want a turn mode on it - the thing is not going to work like the Lightcycles do (nor will it leave the really spiffy wall trail behind it, although that WOULD make for a nifty attack).

Part of the discussion we'd had was what would happen if she hit something. If the bike were even remotely 'real' or 'physical' and she slammed into something, the bike would (in theory) absorb some of the impact. If not, she takes the whole thing herself. Can't remember the outcome of that discussion, though.

As far as Clonus' original suggestion that she tag herself with the smartchip, good thought - or at least program a signal into SeKHMeT (her cyberdeck) that the Transit System can recognize.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

As far as the Running vs Flight thing goes, Flight w/ the initial limitation "Only when in contact with a surface" can have the limitation bought off. If I buy Running, and later want Flight, that's a lot more expensive. (I'm trying to take the long term view.)

Flight and Running cost the same amount (2 points per 1").

You could easily progress from something like:

20" Running, Turn Mode

to

20" Flight, Only In Contact With Surface

to

20" Flight

to

20" Flight, Useable as Running (so that you are more maneuverable on the ground than you are in the air)

It's not like the points are locked in place forever and can never be changed. That's one of the benefits of a points based system after all...

Flight and Running cost the same amount (2 points per 1").

You could easily progress from something like:

20" Running, Turn Mode

to

20" Flight, Only In Contact With Surface

to

20" Flight

to

20" Flight, Useable as Running (so that you are more maneuverable on the ground than you are in the air)

It's not like the points are locked in place forever and can never be changed. That's one of the benefits of a points based system after all...

If the GM will let me do that...

We'll see.

Oh... and this is what the Sleipnir hologram looks like. Sorry, I don't quite have John's PhotoShop skills...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

• 1 month later...

Here's one way to model the effect.

25 Holo-Cycle: Running +10" (16" total), x4 Noncombat, Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Possible Advantages: Combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4), Invisible to Hearing Group (+1/4), Rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement, Flight, Leaping & Swimming] (+1/4); +1/2) (43 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Turn Mode (-1/4) [Notes: Total cost includes: Add Modifiers to Base Characteristic] - END=4

Here's one way to model the effect.

25 Holo-Cycle: Running +10" (16" total), x4 Noncombat, Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Possible Advantages: Combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4), Invisible to Hearing Group (+1/4), Rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement, Flight, Leaping & Swimming] (+1/4); +1/2) (43 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Turn Mode (-1/4) [Notes: Total cost includes: Add Modifiers to Base Characteristic] - END=4

Looks good, all I had was add Physical man -1/4...you got there first..

First off, not sure if this goes here or in HERO SYSTEM discussion, but I'll start it here...

I have a slightly... odd idea on how to use Flight for a character of mine, but a few logistical questions have come to mind.

First, let me explain how she uses Flight. Morrigan's primary 'schtick' involves the use of holographic and computer technology. So, in keeping with that, she has Flight (Limitation: Must Be in Contact with a Driveable Surface), during which she 'rezzes' up, a la TRON, a motorcycle hologram that looks like the bastard hybrid of a TRON Lightcycle and Priss' MotoSlave in BUBBLEGUM CRISIS TOKYO 2040. (The motorcycle program - SLEIPNIR - is controlled through the terminal she has installed in her cybernetic left arm.)

But it lends itself to some interesting practical questions.

1) If the motorcycle itself doesn't actually exist, and what Morrigan is REALLY doing is flying, not driving, would she need a driver's license for using the motorcycle on the roads? For that matter, would she need to 'register' the bike?

I'm sure the cops think so. :eg:

Why not avoid the trouble, and register it?

2) Our campaign setting may well have the whole SmartChip thing that Millennium City has (that system that controls traffic)... how would Morrigan be able to interface with that? (Because traffic is moving at 200+ mph' date=' and there's no way to track her being on the highway...)[/quote']

She's got a "deck" right? Get a prog to handle it.

3) In great cinematic tradition' date=' we often see the hero/heroine lay down the motorcycle to slide under something (and if you're in a John Woo film, get the bike back up and keep going)... if the motorcycle is just a hologram, how would Morrigan be able to duplicate said feat?[/quote']

By flying.

Don't mean this as an insult, but IMO you're overthinking this.