The Grand List Of Overuse Science Fiction Cliches

Marcus Impudite

Re: The Grand List Of Overuse Science Fiction Cliches

Yep. It's also weird if people think that scifi should be any different from any other genre.

All genres contain clichés.

These just happen to be the ones found in scifi.

Several years ago a bunch of local high school kids lampooned war movies with a short called "Cliches of War." It actually was quite brilliantly done.

That said, I want to write a story (probably in play form, though possibly for film) that utilizes as many of these sci-fi cliches as I can squeeze in. I think it'd be a hoot.

That said' date=' I want to write a story (probably in play form, though possibly for film) that utilizes as many of these sci-fi cliches as I can squeeze in. I think it'd be a hoot.[/quote']

If you do, post it here, sounds like it'd be a fun read. Although the list is so long, you'd probably end up with the equivalent of two or more seasons of episodes for a series.

Why do you assume character 1 is excessively beefcake and sexually uninhibited?

I don't assume it. I observe it. Incredibly competent men of action who are sexually inhibited went out with spats. Now not all of them are bulgy but then I said as much.

I don't assume it. I observe it. Incredibly competent men of action who are sexually inhibited went out with spats. Now not all of them are bulgy but then I said as much.

You didn't assume it? Really? Let me refresh your memory:

The issue I have with this list comes here

1. ycheck.jpg The incredibly competent man-of-action with more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.
  2. pig.jpgThe incredibly competent woman-of-action with large breasts, no sexual inhibitions, and more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.

These are the same character for all intents and purposes since I assume character 1 also has no sexual inhibitions and frequently has bulging body parts as well. So why is one sexist and the other not?

Sometimes we're just looking for a creative spin on an old idea - i.e. a repackaged cliche.

like - The Matrix for instance.

Why is it that most of my favorite genre conventions have the "pig" icon next to them? :o

Why is it that most of my favorite genre conventions have the "pig" icon next to them? :o

Because Western Society (especially American Society) likes to let it's inner Puritan control things and repress us in several natural desires.

If we taught moderation instead I'm sure many of those piggy icons would be something else or disappear. But this topic is NGD material so we'll avoid it for now and go back to questioning the list.

Because Western Society (especially American Society) likes to let it's inner Puritan control things and repress us in several natural desires.

If we taught moderation instead I'm sure many of those piggy icons would be something else or disappear. But this topic is NGD material so we'll avoid it for now and go back to questioning the list.

Okay. I thought it was just because I was a sexist pig. ;)

Also, with a moderation-related issue, the piggy cliche's are often less of an issue in that they appear at all, but that there are so few exceptions that they stop seeming like sloppy characterization and start looking like the writers actually think that's the way people are.

Take # 57 ( The intelligent and confident woman who can be bribed with a dress. ) It's not that there are not intelligent and confident women who also like pretty clothes. It's the underlying assumption that "all women like pretty clothes" and "stereotypical female traits automatically outweigh any individual traits a female character might have." Kaylee in Firefly wanting a frilly dress didn't phase me at all; having Samantha Carter of Stargate go giddy about a chance to "tee hee! go shopping!" would have worked less well. [1]

So at least a few of the piggy cliches get the piggy for using "female" as a primary personality trait in a way that "male" as a trait generally does not get used. Think of the old-fashioned sentai-type color coding... Blue is the intellectual. Red is the leader. Yellow is the empath. Pink is... the girl. But there's no color for "the boy", even if the cast is more evenly mixed than 4-boys and 1-girl.

Was that clear?

Ooh, and I have to tale exception to their rejection, here:

The ship is crewed by a bunch of white guys.

Reason for rejection: Every SF production reflects the society that produced it. For instance, in Japanese SF flicks, most of the characters are Japanese.

That doesn't account for the fact that American-produced SF flicks tend to be whiter than the actual American population.

[1] Note that both shows were actually pretty good about avoiding some of the more odious gender-based cliches and I used them as an example because they mostly don't offend on that basis. Sure Samantha's uniform inexplicably started including wonderbras and shirts a size small early on, but Daniel's wardrobe inexplicably developed muscle tees too, so there's some ambiguity there.

So at least a few of the piggy cliches get the piggy for using "female" as a primary personality trait in a way that "male" as a trait generally does not get used. Think of the old-fashioned sentai-type color coding... Blue is the intellectual. Red is the leader. Yellow is the empath. Pink is... the girl. But there's no color for "the boy", even if the cast is more evenly mixed than 4-boys and 1-girl.

Was that clear?

Actually, quite clear. That does seem kind of strange, but I never caught the "connection" between color and characterization before. (Never was a big Power Rangers fan anyway.)

Also' date=' with a moderation-related issue, the piggy cliche's are often less of an issue in that they appear at all, but that there are so few exceptions that they stop seeming like sloppy characterization and start looking like the writers actually think that's the way people are. [/quote']

Well, for years, Sciene Fiction Movie/TV/Comic Book fans were seen as geeky males, with no meaningful relationships with females (and often honestly, many of us were). I think that is where a lot of these cliches originated from.

--- --- ---

Now, putting my "Male Chavanist Pig" hat back on - The really important ones are II 4, II 6e, and II 16 (to a less extent II 15). :sneaky:

Well' date=' for years, Sciene Fiction Movie/TV/Comic Book fans were seen as geeky males, with no meaningful relationships with females (and often honestly, many of us were).[/quote']Hey! :mad: I have been married to SCUBA Heroine for fifteen years now, and, God willing, hope to kiss her soon! Within the next five years, we plan to move out of my mom's basement!!! Oh, and:

HAN SOLO SHOT FIRST!!!

:D

Hey! :mad: I have been married to SCUBA Heroine for fifteen years now, and, God willing, hope to kiss her soon! Within the next five years, we plan to move out of my mom's basement!!! Oh, and:

HAN SOLO SHOT FIRST!!!

:D

I have been married for 21 years myself. But, I do not recant my statement. (Go to a comic shop or RPG store, and see why!)

I have been married for 21 years myself. But' date=' I do not recant my statement. [i'](Go to a comic shop or RPG store, and see why!)[/i]
I've been to a hobby store, and to gaming/Sci Fi conventions - I know... :no:

(There was a great Dork Tower comic on this topic. LOSE THE EARS, ELF-BOY!!!)

Everything was better in the Original Series!

(Of course, I am also a big Benjamin Sisko fan . . . )

I noticed you corrected the grammar on SCUBA Hero's post.

Obviously you haven't frequented RPG.Net.

The original phrase is "my hat of d02 know no limit!"

It's a very long story, but SCUBA's grammar is, in fact, correct in this instance.