The Grand List Of Overuse Science Fiction Cliches

Marcus Impudite

Guest steamteck

Re: The Grand List Of Overuse Science Fiction Cliches

Actually lots of those ideas seemed like some of the fun of the Genre to me and very workable as long as not instituted in a brain dead way. it looks like a good source place for "bits" my players want to see. Then again we're a very "pulp SF" kind of bunch.

Looking at it again the list pretty much includes everything in SF anyway. I want to see a similar one for "deep and meaningful" movies which IMO are at least as cliche:D

19. A society consists of:

1. A handful of ultra-powerful ultra-rich;

2. Criminal lords who control everything not controlled by the ultra-rich;

3. Police whose only principle of operation is maintenance of the status quo;

4. Hordes of poor people starving in the streets;

5. Absolutely no middle class whatsoever.

Nonetheless, the society manages to remain at a high technological level.

[sNARK MODE ON] Is is just me or is this a reasonably accurate description of 21st Century America. [sNARK MODE OFF]

Of course you realize that if you take each list and roll on them with percentile dice, you have an instant bad SF scenario generator. Might be handy if the game master is stuck for a plot idea.

The only issue I really have to take up with such a list is that many times people put things on it that a Genre Conventions. Things that people who are into the genre are attracted specifically too it for.

Otherwise there's nothing to separate it from standard fiction, or other genres.

57. The intelligent and confident woman who can be bribed with a dress.

General fiction trope (at least in US culture), not specific to sci-fi. Similarly,

89. All female scientists are good-looking; male scientists are average-looking.

Also a general (perhaps US culture) trope, provided you generalize from "scientist" to "career of those nearest to the genre core". E.g., detectives and cop shows.

EDIT: Nerts, Ghost-angel beat me to this point on a more general basis.

The only issue I really have to take up with such a list i

The issue I have with this list comes here

1. ycheck.jpg The incredibly competent man-of-action with more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.
  2. pig.jpgThe incredibly competent woman-of-action with large breasts, no sexual inhibitions, and more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.

These are the same character for all intents and purposes since I assume character 1 also has no sexual inhibitions and frequently has bulging body parts as well. So why is one sexist and the other not?

1. ycheck.jpg The incredibly competent man-of-action with more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.
  2. pig.jpgThe incredibly competent woman-of-action with large breasts, no sexual inhibitions, and more skills/degrees than you can shake a blaster at.

These are the same character for all intents and purposes since I assume character 1 also has no sexual inhibitions and frequently has bulging body parts as well. So why is one sexist and the other not?

You've come a long way, baby.

Well, obviously because beefcake is perfectly normal and natural. Cheesecake is gross and offensive.

(/snark mode)

Midas

[sNARK MODE ON] Is is just me or is this a reasonably accurate description of 21st Century America. [sNARK MODE OFF]

(re point #19)

Well, it pretty well discribes every noir story ever written, from Bladerunner, to Glen Cook's Garrett* series.

Midas

*Which is a pretty decent fantasy pastiche of Nero Wolfe.

Why do you assume character 1 is excessively beefcake and sexually uninhibited?

Cliche is nothing more than genre convention that a particular person doesn't like. I've never met a genre convention I didn't like. Well, aside from not liking entire genres.

Do genres have conventions? And where do they meet?

"Single female monster ISO single human male. Object: Mating."

Hasn't this one been done the other way around far more commonly??

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is urgently kicking me for some reason...oh! I see. Time to go.

Guest steamteck

The only issue I really have to take up with such a list is that many times people put things on it that a Genre Conventions. Things that people who are into the genre are attracted specifically too it for.

Otherwise there's nothing to separate it from standard fiction, or other genres.

Precisely my point. Well said!

Guest Major Tom

"You guys worship an unexploded nuclear bomb?"

"Yeah, but no one's really that observant. It's more of a Christmas and Easter thing."

:eg:

Reminds me of the MAD Magazine parody of Beneath the Planet of the

Apes from many years ago. The mutant High Priest has just gotten through

showing Taylor (I forget what the character's parody name was) the nuclear

bomb that the mutant society worshipped. The reply:

"Man... I hope I'm not around for your HIGH HOLY DAYS!!"

Major Tom :D

Anyone notice how many of these are visual?

This list was put together from movies and TV, not from real SF in books with few pictures.

Says lots more about those putting the list together than it does about the genera