Ideas for a Pulp character?

Talon65

Lucky me, I'm actually playing in TWO Pulp Hero games at the moment. One of them is a kinda Indiana Jones type game with competent normals and the other is a little more Pulp/Dark Champions with mystic powers and such ala The Shadow. Anyway, I'm trying to come up with some ideas on how to spend some ep for the character in the second game and thought I might solicit some ideas from you, the viewers. ;)

011bxi7.jpg

The original character idea is pretty much a rip...eeerr, homage to Adam Hughes' "Ghost". The character has disolid, flight linked to disolid, spirits speak to her and has some life support (she's dead) for powers. She's been chosen to be an avenging spirit/protector for the dead though she knows nothing of her former life or why she was chosen. She currently uses twin

.45s (who doesn't?) but I am trying to come up with some kinda non-lethal attack for her to spend her ep on.

The GM has suggested a no range NND with the special affect being it's a disolid attack but I'm kinda "meh" on that but can't think of anything better at the moment. Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ideas for a Pulp character?

Well, since you are already using physical weapons (the pistols), you might also start looking into "remembering" some martial arts training. :)

Yes, that seems kind of Mundain, but this sounds like more of a Pulp/Dark Champions style campaign, so that might fit better then something supernatural. Keeping your actual "superpower" more limited would help that style more.

Thanks Mrs. Tiwilliger! : TK, invisible, indirect. Local ghosts play poltergeist and help her out tossing foes around, breaking vases over their heads, etc.

I'd second this one. You could even get various powers/effects out of this... a low level TK, a high level TK, an area effect (for room sized poltergeist activity)...

You could also go with a possession power, to control someone temporarily, and stuns and/or incapacitates your "victim" when you leave.

You could also go with a postcognative power, one that requires you to make contact with the target ("What did you do with the little girl!!!"), and one that only gives you glimpses of their past actions...

jak

You could add a general aura of creepiness that sets people off (Change Environment that has PRE penalties)

Unless it goes against character concept, more luck is always good

A 0-range telepathy linked to desolid (reaches in to the target's head and pulls out thoughts)

Aura vision

Danger Sense defined as seeing bad intentions

A 0-range mind control (reaches into the victim's head and manipulates his thoughts)

Ranged drain END (scares people so badly they need to rest)

Ranged AE Running drain (ghost hands reach up out of the floor and grabs onto whoever walks over their graves)

These aren't direct combat abilities but I've learned in Pulp indirectly helping your friends can make a big difference.

Lucky me, I'm actually playing in TWO Pulp Hero games at the moment. One of them is a kinda Indiana Jones type game with competent normals and the other is a little more Pulp/Dark Champions with mystic powers and such ala The Shadow. Anyway, I'm trying to come up with some ideas on how to spend some ep for the character in the second game and thought I might solicit some ideas from you, the viewers. ;)

The original character idea is pretty much a rip...eeerr, homage to Adam Hughes' "Ghost". The character has disolid, flight linked to disolid, spirits speak to her and has some life support (she's dead) for powers. She's been chosen to be an avenging spirit/protector for the dead though she knows nothing of her former life or why she was chosen. She currently uses twin

.45s (who doesn't?) but I am trying to come up with some kinda non-lethal attack for her to spend her ep on.

The GM has suggested a no range NND with the special affect being it's a disolid attack but I'm kinda "meh" on that but can't think of anything better at the moment. Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe the reason youre "meh" on that NND idea is because the GM hasnt described it properly ;)

The guns dont fire "bullets". They are the conduits for her channeling her own mystical or ectoplasmic essence; they are Soul Weapons. When they strike living targets, they do damage to their ethereal form, causing the target to experience painful cold and a sort of "greying out" as their very soul is temporarily deadened. This etheric damage can be lethal, or merely stun, based on how much anger the character channels while firing.

Is that better? :)

Thanks in advance.

Maybe the reason youre "meh" on that NND idea is because the GM hasnt described it properly ;)

The guns dont fire "bullets". They are the conduits for her channeling her own mystical or ectoplasmic essence; they are Soul Weapons. When they strike living targets, they do damage to their ethereal form, causing the target to experience painful cold and a sort of "greying out" as their very soul is temporarily deadened. This etheric damage can be lethal, or merely stun, based on how much anger the character channels while firing.

Is that better? :)

And maybe they are not real .45's. They are ethereal manifestations of her power. Ghostly weapons dealing ghostly damage. Perhaps it is alway stun (or NND) unless they "believe" they are taking damage.

30 - Phantom .45's: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots 4 clips of 8 Charges (+0) (30 Active Points)

3u 1) EB 3d6, NND ([standard]; +1) (30 Active Points)

2u 2) RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); Does No Body Unless Target Believes the Bullets Are Real Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2)

Since they wouldn't harm anything physically, except a person that believes they can, and they are not "real" she wouldn't need holsters or need to hide/smuggle them. They would just appear in her hands at need.

What they can do is not limited by ethereal power, but rather in her inner minds belief and confidence. Since "she" believes they can do no real damage, they normally can't. Only when the targets own mind harms him does he take killing damage, or so she thinks. This leaves it open for future "upgrades".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some good ideas in there.

I was primarily looking for ideas for non killing attacks 'cause she seems to have no problem wackin' the criminals.

I already thought of the change environment "creepiness" and fear based presence but I didn't have the points at inception and the GM doesn't want the character becoming power heavy. Had a hard enough time convincing him to let me have disolid. :idjit:

The GM has also already given her a talk to ghosts power last adventure that I now have to save up for also. Clairsentience, retro cog only, extra end and no conscious control.

I had originally tried to do her with "phantom" guns as well but it was cost prohibitive. I may have to reconsider that or go with the NND and just save points. *sigh*

I guess the wicked won't be getting off easy in this campaign for awhile. :eg: