Munchkin powers on legal active point costs

Dan_Kopes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Munchkin powers on legal active point costs

(70) Tunnelling (Fill in behind), 5" (1 DEF), UAA

Send the target straight down. Now he has 64 BOD of dirt (4 hexes) between him and everything else.

Note that it only works if the target is standing on loose soil, pretty much, since the DEF isnt bought up.

Except that the knockback is applied before the effects of the dispel are applied' date=' as is always the case for adjustment powers that affect defenses. So anything with KB resistance still gets full benefit.[/quote']

Mmhh. Nucleon might be mistaken (it is known to happen once or twice in aeons), but he think that what thou are refering to are linked powers that are affecting defenses. Or that Adjustement powers only work at half efficiency versus defenses, my friend.

:saturn:

Uh' date=' Hugh? Zed? I don't mean to criticize, but did you [u']read[/u] the original post? Maybe I misinterpreted it, but it sure didn't seem like it was supposed to be a thread about how to avoid abusing powers.

So hows about sending in your own good old fashioned super-advantaged power? Come on, you can do it...............

That's too easy...run a search for Mr. Margarita. Actually, I'll even do it for you...

Consider Margarita Man. No one knows who MM really is. He sits on the beach all day sipping margaritas.

While sipping, he uses his 1d6 Mind Scan, Cumulative (+1/2), Continuous (+1 IIRC), 6 doublings of maximum (+1 1/2), Quadruple Penetrating (+2), 0 END (+1/2), 0 END to maintain (+1/2), IPE (+1/4), IPE while building (+1/4) cost 37 points. He makes one roll per phase to locate a target, using his other half phase occasionally to sip, or to gesture for another margarita.

[He averages 216 attempts to roll a 3 and locate his target. That takes 21.6 minutes on average, assuming a 2 SPD.]

Once he locates his target, he rolls a single d6 per phase, seeking a score of Ego +30 with -15 to breakrout rolls. Assuming a typical 10 Ego target, he needs a total roll of 115, which will take, on average, 33 phases (3.3 minutes at that 2 SPD). If his target had mental defense, he gets 1 point through on average, so it takes longer. If his target has, say, 40 EGO, he needs 145 phases, so that's 14.5 minutes.

Now he can attack the target with impunity (unless he makes a breakout roll, which is hardly impossible - if so, he starts again, but first he orders another margarita).

He uses his Mind Control, Mental Illusions and/or Telepathy, depending on his goals. He can MPA if need be. [He could Rapid Fire too, but using a full phase means he can't sip his margarita, so he doesn't do that!] These are as follows:

1d6 Mind Control, Cumulative (+1/2), Continuous (+1 IIRC), 6 doublings of maximum (+1 1/2), Quadruple Penetrating (+2), 0 END (+1/2), 0 END to maintain (+1/2), IPE (+1/4), IPE while building (+1/4), Telepathic Commands (+1/4) cost 39 points.

1d6 Mental Illusions, Cumulative (+1/2), Continuous (+1 IIRC), 6 doublings of maximum (+1 1/2), Quadruple Penetrating (+2), 0 END (+1/2), 0 END to maintain (+1/2), IPE (+1/4), IPE while building (+1/4) cost 37 points.

1d6 Telepathy, Cumulative (+1/2), Continuous (+1 IIRC), 6 doublings of maximum (+1 1/2), Quadruple Penetrating (+2), 0 END (+1/2), 0 END to maintain (+1/2), IPE (+1/4), IPE while building (+1/4) cost 37 points.

These hit a lot quicker normally, since they don't have the modifiers for scanning large areas, but take the same time to build up to the appropriate level of success. Longer if he wants to cover his tracks to the target doesn't recall being attacked, or thinks his actions were his own idea.

These are well under the 75 AP maximum. He can get 2d6 of anything but Mind Control (that TP advantage ups the cost) for that.

He's a pretty standard Mentalist, except that he's slow and lacks an Ego Attack to do direct damage. And he has 200 points left to buy other things I'm thinking a [tropical island] base and some very loyal followers [who have good margarita-making skills] might be useful.

Or, if you want just flat out bludgeoning, select any or all powers desired, then add "1 googolplex to the power of googolplex charges, charges never recover" for a -1 limitation on all powers that grants 0 END automatically.

Mmhh. Nucleon might be mistaken (it is known to happen once or twice in aeons)' date=' but he think that what thou are refering to are linked powers that are affecting defenses. Or that Adjustement powers only work at half efficiency versus defenses, my friend.[/quote']

I believe there's also a ruling that a Dispel on a target lacking the power to be dispelled has no effect. It was specifically regarding a Dispel Knockback Resistance with Does Knockback and Extra Knockback. If the target has no knockback resistance, it does precisely nothing.

Enter The Speedzone; 1 Turn, Femtospeed; Quick Entrance (75 AP).

Then you buy some other powers to go with it. . .

30AP gets you Transdimensional for up to 60AP of powers as a Naked Advantage. Call it Transdimensional For Hyperspeed Powers.

If you're reading a post with Munchkin in the header, then at some point you've made an Autofire, AP, Pen attack. And your GM sighed. 'Oh, yeah. Brilliant idea. First time I've ever seen anyone do that.'

And you discovered that you could annoy a whole bunch of people and break all the windows and scratch all the paint in a big area.

Or maybe that was just my experience............

Well, the actual writeup looked like this:

Lazer Storm: 1/2D6 RKA (10)

--Ap(+1/2) Pen(+1/2) AE-Radius(+1) Autofire 10 (+2) +2 Stun X (+1) 1/2 End (+1/2) Indirect (+1/2) 70 Active points

--Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2) Concentration 1/2DCV (-1/4) Gestures (-1/4) Beam (-1/4) No Knockback (-1/4)

It was an Ultra-slot in a 75 Active Point multipower, so when all was said and done, it cost 3 real points. Endurance cost was 3.5 per shot, for a total of 35 End for all 10 shots. With my characters OCV and skill levels, she could reliably hit DCV 3 at least 5 times, hitting a 6" radius area. The power basically rains down lasers in a large area, hitting everything inside multiple times, putting small but painful holes in things. It normally did about 1 body per hit and could achieve up to 21 Stun per hit. Against well-armored supers, it was useless. However, against moderately to lightly armored agents/henchmen, it worked wonders. A scene I remember fondly is when the group was battling Dr. Destroyer and he was attempting to escape and sent 30 of his minions to distract and delay us. My character smiled and said "You guys go after Destroyer. I'll take care of these guys!" The other players thought I was nuts, but they didn't know about that power (I had never used it up to that point). The looks on their faces when my character pulled it off was worth it!

Well, the actual writeup looked like this:

Lazer Storm: 1/2D6 RKA (10)

--Ap(+1/2) Pen(+1/2) AE-Radius(+1) Autofire 10 (+2) +2 Stun X (+1) 1/2 End (+1/2) Indirect (+1/2) 70 Active points

--Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2) Concentration 1/2DCV (-1/4) Gestures (-1/4) Beam (-1/4) No Knockback (-1/4)

It was an Ultra-slot in a 75 Active Point multipower, so when all was said and done, it cost 3 real points. Endurance cost was 3.5 per shot, for a total of 35 End for all 10 shots. With my characters OCV and skill levels, she could reliably hit DCV 3 at least 5 times, hitting a 6" radius area. The power basically rains down lasers in a large area, hitting everything inside multiple times, putting small but painful holes in things. It normally did about 1 body per hit and could achieve up to 21 Stun per hit. Against well-armored supers, it was useless. However, against moderately to lightly armored agents/henchmen, it worked wonders. A scene I remember fondly is when the group was battling Dr. Destroyer and he was attempting to escape and sent 30 of his minions to distract and delay us. My character smiled and said "You guys go after Destroyer. I'll take care of these guys!" The other players thought I was nuts, but they didn't know about that power (I had never used it up to that point). The looks on their faces when my character pulled it off was worth it!

one minor quibble.

from 5e, pg 76; 5er, pg 113:

Attacks that affect an area (either inherently, or because they have the Area Of Effect or Explosion Advantage) cannot take Beam.

I have a couple of minor quibbles with this build, but only a couple:

1. How do you justify the personal immunity?

2. How do you justify the amount of BODY you generate? A hex of earth has 16 BODY (from memory) so I'd struggle to allow more than this.

3. How do you justify the attack transparency?

I'm not just being pedantic - well obviously I AM being pedantic, not JUST pedantic - I genuinely think this is the best way to deal with munchkinism; require an internally consistent rationalle and don't allow the munchkin to fall back on:

a) It just does.

B) It doesn't matter, with this power I will RULE!

c) Justify? I got the points, it is up to me how I spend them.

A vital part of any build is concept, and, no, 'cool' is not a concept. Concept is not something that just happens in a player's head, it is something that fits in with the physical and possibly metaphysical parameters of the gameworld.

How far do we take this, Sean? Do characters with Swiss Army Multipowers need to justify the fact that all their attack powers, coincidentally, have exactly the same AP, being the MP pool? Why wouldn't some of those attacks have lower AP?

What about justifying your characteristics? Take 10 character sheets intended for use as PC's, and let's look for munchkinry based on unrationalized coincidental results:

- I bet virtually all of them have STR evenly divisible by 5. Any that don't will end in a 3 or an 8. How is it that not one has an STR ending in a 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 or 9? Shouldn't that be 60% of them?

- Most of their DEX's will round up when divided by 3. Of the remainder, most likely end in a 3 or an 8, rounding up for DEX rolls. You might have one or two that don't, but I'll bet you won't see anywhere near 2/3 that don't round up for CV purposes.

- Virtually all CONs will end in a 3 or an 8. Only 20% logically should.

- Well over 20% of INT will end in a 3 or an 8, rounding those PER and SKILL rolls. Most or all of the rest will end in 0 or 5.

- Ego will spread much like DEX.

- PRE will spread much like STR - they'll pretty much all end in 3, 5, 8 and 0. Well under 60% will end in another number.

- There will be no odd numbers in COM. Even for a stat that serves minimal or no purpose, the player will min-max.

- All Speed scores will have exactly enough points invested to be at a specific speed score, with no points left over. Only 10% logically should, right?

Finally, what happpens when the player has all the answers? That munchkin build is perfectly consistent with the character concept, and the design matches the ability the character is envisioned to have? He's met the requirements of properly meshing build and concept - I guess now the power is OK, right?

The concept is "the ultimate mentalist sniper". Start with Mr. Margarita and spend the extra 200 points primarily to bolster him in this regard. It's all perfectly in concept. That's how his powers work - he slowly worms his way into his target's mental processes, gradually taking full control.

"Why do his powers work that way?" As opposed to what, the way mind control and mental illusions work in the real world, as documented by scientific studioes? The problem isn't that the build won't match the concept, it's that the concept itself is damaging to the overal game.

I'd prefer to tell the players that it's OK to design their characters efficiently, but that I will disallow builds that will be problematic compared to the campaign norms.

How far do we take this, Sean? Do characters with Swiss Army Multipowers need to justify the fact that all their attack powers, coincidentally, have exactly the same AP, being the MP pool? Why wouldn't some of those attacks have lower AP?

What about justifying your characteristics? Take 10 character sheets intended for use as PC's, and let's look for munchkinry based on unrationalized coincidental results:

- I bet virtually all of them have STR evenly divisible by 5. Any that don't will end in a 3 or an 8. How is it that not one has an STR ending in a 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 or 9? Shouldn't that be 60% of them?

- Most of their DEX's will round up when divided by 3. Of the remainder, most likely end in a 3 or an 8, rounding up for DEX rolls. You might have one or two that don't, but I'll bet you won't see anywhere near 2/3 that don't round up for CV purposes.

- Virtually all CONs will end in a 3 or an 8. Only 20% logically should.

- Well over 20% of INT will end in a 3 or an 8, rounding those PER and SKILL rolls. Most or all of the rest will end in 0 or 5.

- Ego will spread much like DEX.

- PRE will spread much like STR - they'll pretty much all end in 3, 5, 8 and 0. Well under 60% will end in another number.

- There will be no odd numbers in COM. Even for a stat that serves minimal or no purpose, the player will min-max.

- All Speed scores will have exactly enough points invested to be at a specific speed score, with no points left over. Only 10% logically should, right?

Finally, what happpens when the player has all the answers? That munchkin build is perfectly consistent with the character concept, and the design matches the ability the character is envisioned to have? He's met the requirements of properly meshing build and concept - I guess now the power is OK, right?

The concept is "the ultimate mentalist sniper". Start with Mr. Margarita and spend the extra 200 points primarily to bolster him in this regard. It's all perfectly in concept. That's how his powers work - he slowly worms his way into his target's mental processes, gradually taking full control.

"Why do his powers work that way?" As opposed to what, the way mind control and mental illusions work in the real world, as documented by scientific studioes? The problem isn't that the build won't match the concept, it's that the concept itself is damaging to the overal game.

I'd prefer to tell the players that it's OK to design their characters efficiently, but that I will disallow builds that will be problematic compared to the campaign norms.

There are different types of munchkinism, I suppose. Some types are more offensive to me than others. I'm not too bothered about the 'characteristic munchkinism' that you describe because I can see, given a world where some characteristic values are more useful than others, why there would be a natural inclination to stop at 13 INT: it is quite a lot of work getting to 18 INT and there is no payoff until you get there, so evolution and environment will both conspire to make certain characteristics (the 3s, 5s, 8s and 0s, for example) are more common than others.

As for the MP, yes, it would be nice to have different AP levels now and then, but again I can see, assuming that a MP is akin to a finite 'power reserve' how most would configure that reserve to obtain the maximum benefit, by dint of effort and perhaps genetics again.

This munchkinism is derived from applying the overlay of a system on a world which would, in practice, have much finer graduations. It does not bother me too much because:

1. The overall effect is relatively small

2. It is almost impossible to police anyway

3. It is a broadly acceptable form of munchkinism

I consider Munchkinism (note the capital) to be abuse of the system to the detriment of the game you are playing (not Hero, but your own game). As I said, if everyone enjoys the munchkin aspect, no penalty, no foul.

Now, turning briefly to Margarita Man, the first thing that I note is that a sip per phase, there is a good chance he would be unconscious long before lock on. You may want to consider LS: alcohol, or somesuch.

However, MM is one of those examples of a character who, as an NPC, is just fine, because you should be able to trust the GM not to abuse him, but as a plot device. Charlie X is a similar example, I suppose.

As a PC, he is a problem. Even if you could trust the player not to abuse the powers, and you couldn't, then he would just be boring to play, and detrimental to the enjoyment of the others. The 'concept' test is always a bit shaky with some powers, like this one, where the answer to how it works is usually 'it just does - he's psionic'. You've defined your concept as 'a powerful character', and that doesn't really fit in with what I'm talking about in respect of 'concept'.

I should have been more careful, I suppose. Concept is not just an end definition, it is a complete work up. It can be based on some pretty spurious assumptions - pretty much has to be for superheroes - but when I speak of 'concept' I want to know more than the tag line in the year book. I want to know the basis of his powers, for instance, and why they are so much more powerful than those of others. i want to know the basic assumptions about whetre that power came from and how it works, and I want everything after teh spurious initial assumptions to be logically testable.

Even if you can justify that, the final test of Munchkinism is whether it is going to spoil the enjoyment of the others playing, and MM, as a PC, would seem to be a Munchkin Character on that basis if no other.

No. That would be like saying 50% of characters should have an extra point spend in Ego, and 66.67% should have an extra point or two spent in Dex. Or for that matter that only 33.33% should spend a base of 50 for their 10d6 EB, and the other 66.67% should spend 51 or 52 (obviously at 53 it becomes a 10.5d6 EB).

No. That would be like saying 50% of characters should have an extra point spend in Ego' date=' and 66.67% should have an extra point or two spent in Dex. Or for that matter that only 33.33% should spend a base of 50 for their 10d6 EB, and the other 66.67% should spend 51 or 52 (obviously at 53 it becomes a 10.5d6 EB).[/quote']

My character isn't buying his Ego up, but he does spend 1 CP at a time on DEX. [He purchases +1 DEX, act 10-, No Figured for 1 point. Next, he buys it up to +1 DEX, unlimited, costing 2 points for DEX and rebating one for SPD, so the point isn't sitting idle.]

There are different types of munchkinism' date=' I suppose. Some types are more offensive to me than others. I'm not too bothered about the 'characteristic munchkinism' that you describe because I can see, given a world where some characteristic values are more useful than others, why there would be a natural inclination to stop at 13 INT: it is quite a lot of work getting to 18 INT and there is no payoff until you get there, so evolution and environment will both conspire to make certain characteristics (the 3s, 5s, 8s and 0s, for example) are more common than others.[/quote']

May I suggest that the fact you are less bothered by this is as much attributable to the fact that it's a standard, rather than being unusual. Your comments imply the character can objectively measure his score and its impact. How did Strong Guy KNOW to stop working out at STR 60, rather than at 59 or 61? How did Genius Girl know when her INT hit 33, so she could stop studying?

As for the MP' date=' yes, it would be nice to have different AP levels now and then, but again I can see, assuming that a MP is akin to a finite 'power reserve' how most would configure that reserve to obtain the maximum benefit, by dint of effort and perhaps genetics again.[/quote']

Wouldn't they also, given the choice, configure their other abilities similarly (or let genetics do it for them)? All my MP powers are 60 AP is just as much "just because" as having personal immunity.

I consider Munchkinism (note the capital) to be abuse of the system to the detriment of the game you are playing (not Hero' date=' but your own game). As I said, if everyone enjoys the munchkin aspect, no penalty, no foul.[/quote']

I'd call this the key. Unless it's actually an abuse, it's not munchkinism. Whether it's an abuse will vary a lot from game to game.

Even if you can justify that' date=' the final test of Munchkinism is whether it is going to spoil the enjoyment of the others playing, and MM, as a PC, would seem to be a Munchkin Character on that basis if no other.[/quote']

I would simply cut out the middle steps. The test - the only test of any relevance, IMO - is whether the character is going to spoil the enjoyment of the others playing.

My character isn't buying his Ego up' date=' but he does spend 1 CP at a time on DEX. [He purchases +1 DEX, act 10-, No Figured for 1 point. Next, he buys it up to +1 DEX, unlimited, costing 2 points for DEX and rebating one for SPD, so the point isn't sitting idle.']

Yes, so do all real people. Except, possibly, those who do well enough to earn 3 XP per session.

Yes' date=' so do all real people. Except, possibly, those who do well enough to earn 3 XP per session.[/quote']

Experiences differ, but I more commonly see the character use 2xp (it doesn't take 3 with Speed Rebate) at a time to buy +1 DEX, and just leave that one extra xp sit idle.

My rule for the character in question is that he can never spend more than one xp on raising a single stat at a time. So he can spend 3 xp one on DEX (as above), one on reducing the activation roll on his +1 SPD and one on +1 REC, act 11-, for example, but he has to wait until next xp award to boost anything else. [And in my games, we generally award xp only at the end of the scenario, so 3+ xp at a time isn't all that uncommon.]

I would simply cut out the middle steps. The test - the only test of any relevance, IMO - is whether the character is going to spoil the enjoyment of the others playing.

:) I don't now: there are some players who can spoil the enjoyment of everyone else, no matter WHAT character they are playing. They are not munchkins in any classical sense but they are certainly not welcome. Well, maybe by those who enjoy a real challenge :)

My character isn't buying his Ego up' date=' but he does spend 1 CP at a time on DEX. [He purchases +1 DEX, act 10-, No Figured for 1 point. Next, he buys it up to +1 DEX, unlimited, costing 2 points for DEX and rebating one for SPD, so the point isn't sitting idle.']

Which doesn't really address my point. You don't have any CP spend in DEX that are not increasing your Dex. Saying that it is munchkin to only buy full points of SPD is no more accurate than saying that it is munchkin to only buy full points of DEX or EGO.

As to your example, a comment and a note.

The note: +1 Dex costs 3 points and SPD gets a rebate of 1. Not 2 and 1. I figure it was a typo, but as long as I was already replying... :)

The comment: +1 Dex, unless that one point would normally increase your SPD to the next full point, isn't limited by "No Figured", so it should not qualify for any limitation. Another route to get to the same place is that since an activation roll on a portion of SPD that does not effect the actual amount of SPD the character has isn't limiting, the main disad on DEX doesn't apply to figured characteristics and so the DEX increase automatically doesn't apply, so again "No Figured" is applicable.

Of course if your Ref has no problems with it, more power to 'ya. :thumbup: I wouldn't, but then again, I'm not your Ref. :)

Unbeatable: (40 points)

EDM to ‘the Plane of Health’ where you are instantly healed of all injuries and restored to full function, including the removal of secondary effects, such as stunning and bleeding or mental of PRE based domination, resurrected, if necessary, all charges restored (only applies to natural, magical or mutant powers). 20 points.

Trigger (automatic reset no-time trigger, 2 conditions (being in the Plane of Health or being reduced from full health) no control over triggers, no time to activate) +1

Total cost 40 points

This makes you indestructible, basically: any damage or other adverse effect is instantly cancelled by being transported to the plane of Health, and being in the ‘Plane of Health’ is the second trigger, putting you back where you came from, all of which happens in no time.

Unbeatable: (40 points)

EDM to ‘the Plane of Health’ where you are instantly healed of all injuries and restored to full function, including the removal of secondary effects, such as stunning and bleeding or mental of PRE based domination, resurrected, if necessary, all charges restored (only applies to natural, magical or mutant powers). 20 points.

Trigger (automatic reset no-time trigger, 2 conditions (being in the Plane of Health or being reduced from full health) no control over triggers, no time to activate) +1

Total cost 40 points

This makes you indestructible, basically: any damage or other adverse effect is instantly cancelled by being transported to the plane of Health, and being in the ‘Plane of Health’ is the second trigger, putting you back where you came from, all of which happens in no time.

Fortunately, as a Ref, I have an easy (and even in game) way to turn that one down. No such plane exists in my world, so you cannot move there. :)

Fortunately' date=' as a Ref, I have an easy (and even in game) way to turn that one down. No such plane exists in my world, so you cannot move there. :)[/quote']

Precicely: the ultimate check on Munchkinism is the GM putting his or her foot down.