World at War!: The Yggdrasil Conundrum

Dr. Confoundo

I've gotten some great help here on the boards with my Golden Age campaign (in the following threads found here, here, and here), but now I need a little more assistance.

The setting: With the United States' entrance into the European theatre in World War 2, Hitler and the top Nazi mystics of the Ahnenerbe needed a new source of power to insure their victory over the Allied armies. Luckily for them, one of their investigative teams found something during the time that the Germans occupied Norway - a cup whose translated runes would eventually lead them to the cavern where Loki lay bound until Ragnarok. Rescuing the weakened Loki from his eternal torment, the Ahnenerbe team returned the god to Berlin, where Hitler and Loki struck a bargain: the god would use his magics to create 12 mystical runestones, which would bestow great powers upon a chosen handful of Germany's finest soldiers. Thus, the Nazi's first superhumans were created: Schallwelle! Fenris! Comandant Nebel! Rotergeist! Doktor Zahnrad! Brandfleck! Der Komet! Traumritter! Together they oppose the Allied forces as Die Runekriegers!

Unbeknownst to Hitler, Loki knew that he couldn't utilize all of the runes, for they were rightly Odin's, as he had hung for nine days on the Yggdrasil tree to learn them. Odin took the remaining 12 runes and gave them to the Allies, creating a countering group of superheroes: Beacon! The British Blur! Ironwood! Retribution! Neptune! Etalion! Dr. Atomic! Together they fight Nazi menaces as The Liberty Brigade!

So while the soldiers of the Allies fight the forces of the Axis across the fields of France, two superpowered teams are involved in a chessgame of missions, attempting to seize some advantage over their opposing numbers. The current mission? The Yggdrasil Conundrum

The PCs learn that Loki's forces have taken interest in a mystical blade, alledged to be so sharp that it can cleave the Yggdrasil Tree in two. They learn that Loki is attempting to perform a ritual which will allow him to bring the powers of the other realms here into Midgard, by drawing on the power of the Yggdrasil Tree which connects the universe together. The PCs are drawn into a game of scavenger hunt, in order to track down a number of mystical objects that will help them stop his ritual, including the Mirror of Nostrodamus and the Horn of Roland. They finally retrieve the last item that they need, and go rushing off to Norway, where they believe the current manifestation of the Yggdrasil Tree to be...

----------

So I was driving with my wife to her parent's house to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday, and as I'm following traffic, my mind wanders to the game I'm supposed to run in a couple weeks, with the showdown between Loki's Runekriegers and the Liberty Brigade, over the fate of the Yggdrasil Tree, in a fog-shrouded forest in the mountains of Norway... when it struck me: That's an awful place to have an epic battle between good and evil with the fate of the universe in the balance!

----------

...so the Liberty Brigade rushes into the fog-shrouded forest in the mountains of Norway, looking for the current manifestation of the Yggdrasil Tree, and when they get there, all they find is a massive stump! A local old man tells them "That tree? It was given as a gift to the United States years ago."

And that's where I need help: The Yggdrasil Tree has been sent from Norway to either New York or Washington DC, where it's been incorporated into the construction of an important building, or has been turned into a work of art or scientific curiousity... somewhere that there would be lots of people put into danger of the first massive super-powered combat the world had ever seen. But where?

What are the columns in the front of the White House made of?

Would the exhibits of the 1939 New York World's Fair still be around?

Any other ideas?

Re: World at War!: The Yggdrasil Conundrum

Well, it's the wrong era, but Bill Gates' house has an awful lot of fine wooden columns...

OTOH, Yg could've been dug out and transported alive, too.. Say as a scientific curiousity to the Smithsonian, or to Christmas Village in Michigan?

Do you really want to judge it by its size?

The columns of the White House are built out of white-painted Aquia sandstone. Not wood or marble.

Perhaps one of the restored tall ship's masts. Have the masts of the USS Constitution been replaced anytime in the modern era?

It's a little early in the campaign year for this to be a Christmas tree - in game, it is currently early August, 1944 (the PCs got their powers a few days after landing on the beaches at Normandy), and the big battle will take place within the next couple game weeks.

I did think about putting it in the Smithsonian, but couldn't come up with a good reason why - how close is the museum to the mall?

Are there any trees on the mall itself? I hadn't thought of transplanting the thing. I assumed that it had been cut down and the trunk had been turned into something else... Heck, maybe it had been transplanted onto the White House grounds, as a gift from the nation of Norway?

Hidden in a place of secrets, a place that man overlooks, guarded by the last of faithful of Odin, was the Yggdrasil Tree.

In April of 1940 the Germans invaded Norway. To the secular world it is simply a strategic move, but to others it gives the Ahnenerbe time to search for things they need.

The guardians, fearing the loss of the Tree, do the unthinkable. They destroy the tree. But not before taking three splices of the tree. Splices that can be used to regrow the tree in a safer area. And who would stop and question an old man with a small, potted tree fleeing from war torn Europe.

The first splice was taken to Nova Scotia, a place with strong links to the Norse mythos. Planted and hidden near the burial site, reported to be Lief Erikson.

The second was lost at sea, when a German sub sunk the ocean liner ful of passengers.

The third was presented as a gift to the United States and was planted in the Rose Garden. Where it grew by amazing strides, it's magic making sure no one questioned it's "sudden" appearance. The Tree gives power to the land it's planted in. The tree is responsible for America's ride out of the Depression (The bounty of Frigga), the reason so many heroes and villians will battle in the streets (Valhalla), and so on.

Huge fight on the White House lawn. Lots of publicity. And a reason of sorts for the future of herodom.

Just my thoughts.

It's a little early in the campaign year for this to be a Christmas tree - in game, it is currently early August, 1944 (the PCs got their powers a few days after landing on the beaches at Normandy), and the big battle will take place within the next couple game weeks.

I did think about putting it in the Smithsonian, but couldn't come up with a good reason why - how close is the museum to the mall?

Are there any trees on the mall itself? I hadn't thought of transplanting the thing. I assumed that it had been cut down and the trunk had been turned into something else... Heck, maybe it had been transplanted onto the White House grounds, as a gift from the nation of Norway?

Even though it may not be Christmas, several of the trees used as National Christmas Trees over the years were living trees transplanted to the White House grounds, and used repeatedly. One of those could certainly be a state gift from Norway. In fact one of the earliest trees used for that purpose was a Norway spruce. ;)

Hidden in a place of secrets, a place that man overlooks, guarded by the last of faithful of Odin, was the Yggdrasil Tree.

In April of 1940 the Germans invaded Norway. To the secular world it is simply a strategic move, but to others it gives the Ahnenerbe time to search for things they need.

The guardians, fearing the loss of the Tree, do the unthinkable. They destroy the tree. But not before taking three splices of the tree. Splices that can be used to regrow the tree in a safer area. And who would stop and question an old man with a small, potted tree fleeing from war torn Europe.

The first splice was taken to Nova Scotia, a place with strong links to the Norse mythos. Planted and hidden near the burial site, reported to be Lief Erikson.

The second was lost at sea, when a German sub sunk the ocean liner ful of passengers.

The third was presented as a gift to the United States and was planted in the Rose Garden. Where it grew by amazing strides, it's magic making sure no one questioned it's "sudden" appearance. The Tree gives power to the land it's planted in. The tree is responsible for America's ride out of the Depression (The bounty of Frigga), the reason so many heroes and villians will battle in the streets (Valhalla), and so on.

Huge fight on the White House lawn. Lots of publicity. And a reason of sorts for the future of herodom.

Just my thoughts.

Awesome! We have a winner. That's exactly what I was looking for. When Loki manages to pierce the tree (which he will, considering he has disguised himself as Odin in order to send the heroes on a search for the items which won't stop the ritual, but complete it), the magical surge will not only draw giants and monsters to attack the U.S., but it will have subtly changed reality... where once that person who was bitten by a radioactive fruitbat would just die, now he will gain the strength and speed blah blah blah...etc.

Even though it may not be Christmas' date=' several of the trees used as National Christmas Trees over the years were living trees transplanted to the White House grounds, and used repeatedly. One of those could certainly be a state gift from Norway. In fact one of the earliest trees used for that purpose was a Norway spruce. ;)[/quote']

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

If the Runekriegers need a special mystic blade to cut Yggdrasil...how was it cut down and milled into something else?

Because until the ritual that Loki is performing is completed, it's just a tree; albeit, a very special tree that is the embodiement of Yggdrasil, but a tree nonetheless.

But when he completes the ritual, it *Becomes* Yggdrasil. That's when the blade comes into play.

Paragon Alpha's ideas rock within your campaign mythos, and I owe him rep.

Still, I love the Christmas Tree idea as well. Gives you a chance to bring the avenging Santa Claus in at the climax of the battle, his crude oak sleigh pulled by an eight legged steed, and a patch over one eye... :D

Paragon Alpha's ideas rock within your campaign mythos, and I owe him rep.

Still, I love the Christmas Tree idea as well. Gives you a chance to bring the avenging Santa Claus in at the climax of the battle, his crude oak sleigh pulled by an eight legged steed, and a patch over one eye... :D

Heh. Nice image, but not quite what I was going for. The battle will actually climax with Loki stabbing his sword into the trunk of Yggdrasil, after the PCs mistakenly complete the ritual he needs to empower the mythological tree. This action will cause a rift in the fabric of the universe, allowing Loki to draw in all of his mystical forces who have been waiting in the wings (fire giants, trolls, ogres, etc), who will sweep out into Washington D.C.*

Meanwhile, the PCs will also been drawn through the rift, dropping them in Asgard, where they will meet a feeble blind old man... Odin, who no longer has the worshippers that he once did, has now been reduced to a shell of his formerly godly self. And he'll say to them 'What are you talking about? I didn't give you any powers... you've been tricked!'

*I know, I know. Washington D.C. getting attacked by a magical army of giants and warriors... Didn't we just see that in both 'The Ultimates' and 'Amazons Attack'? Luckily, my players don't read comics, so they won't recognize the 'homage' ;)

Heh. Nice image, but not quite what I was going for. The battle will actually climax with Loki stabbing his sword into the trunk of Yggdrasil, after the PCs mistakenly complete the ritual he needs to empower the mythological tree. This action will cause a rift in the fabric of the universe, allowing Loki to draw in all of his mystical forces who have been waiting in the wings (fire giants, trolls, ogres, etc), who will sweep out into Washington D.C.*

Meanwhile, the PCs will also been drawn through the rift, dropping them in Asgard, where they will meet a feeble blind old man... Odin, who no longer has the worshippers that he once did, has now been reduced to a shell of his formerly godly self. And he'll say to them 'What are you talking about? I didn't give you any powers... you've been tricked!'

Even better for the Christmas idea. Loki is being fed power by the Nazis, their murder and deceit acting as "worship"; to counter him, the PCs must help Odin gain a pool of worshipers, millions of souls who sincerely believe in a benevolent yet mysterious all knowing old man as the embodiment of winter. One red suit and appearance in the Macys parade later, and yes, Virginia, there is a Woden Klaus.

;)

Even better for the Christmas idea. Loki is being fed power by the Nazis' date=' their murder and deceit acting as "worship"; to counter him, the PCs must help Odin gain a pool of worshipers, millions of souls who sincerely believe in a benevolent yet mysterious all knowing old man as the embodiment of winter. One red suit and appearance in the Macys parade later, and yes, Virginia, there is a Woden Klaus.[/quote']

Fabulous set-up, but it just doesn't fit. Have some Rep instead.