Suggestions for a player's Song character?

Tech

One of my friend's character's superpowers is 'song' powers. I wouldn't say their sonic but it could be considered that way. Some of her powers are

a) EB AVLD (Ego) - not Mental Defense but the Ego stat

B) Forcewall

c) Mind Control, only to calm berserk characters

d) Healing

She has a limited (i.e charges) destructive song which is a RKA but she has a 20 pt Code vs Killing.

I'm interested in hearing other suggestions she could add to her character. In general, her powers are non-destructive. At any rate, I'm asking for suggestions for new powers and abilities for the character.

Re: Suggestions for a player's Song character?

I would recommend paging through an old AD&D Bard's handbook. They had all kinds of spells and talents related to singing.

You should also consider the advantages and limitations of the special effect. Should these be bought with the powers, or just considered to be natural extensions (ie- not affecting Real Points) of the singing effect?

For example :

- Doesn't work in a vaccum

- Greater effect and strength underwater

- Restrainable (if gagged or entangled)

- Lesser effect if target fails perception roll

There was an old Legion of Superheroes character from the 1970's named Tyroc, who had various screams for different super-powered effects like teleportation, EB, Force Wall. You could look into that character for inspiration.

My wife's character is Lenny a ex-singer turned Chicago cop retired; now a superhero.

Has song powers. Part of the song powers should be cone or area of effect and limitation(s) on them (not work in vacuum and the like).

I'd certainly up the Mind Control from "only to calm" to "only to instill emotions" at the very least. Maybe it's just because most of the music I listen to isn't very calming, but instilling a variety of emotional states seems to me to be the most fundamental effect of musical powers. An even more versatile "suggestion" ability is certainly justifiable, too.

Different kinds of Aids like Cygnia mentioned, as well as your healing.

That Force Wall seems kind of odd to me, unless you're going for reality-warping songs like the above-mentioned Tyroc - in which case you could justify any kind of power from different magical "songs". Personally for defenses I'd go more for something like increased DCV (people have an aversion to hitting the singer), or a Change Environment that hampers people around the singer (distraction).

An RKA (only vs. metals, glass and crystals) could represent a shattering high note that lets the singer be at least somewhat effective against non-human threats.

Insect and/or animal summoning and control from the surrounding area might work for that, too (Pied Piper effect).

I'd take a look at Mental Illusions. I for one am always transported to a new world by a great song (or was that the payote???)

With this one power you can simulate just about everything suggested above and it provides a nice mechanic for people to resist the music.

Aid to PRE. Music can be inspiring or menacing, ask any Hollywood songwriter. If nothing else, it makes for great stage performances (if the character is a musician in secret ID).

Drain vs. DEX with cacophonic music so grating that it causing all hearing it to cringe. This could be just an ear-spliting shriek or nails-on-the-chalkboard type thing, or it might be specific to individuals (some people hate Rap, some people hate Country, etc.). Might add a Darkness or Images vs. hearing with this to represent how much more difficult it would be hear anything else.

Mimicry might be good too; many excellent singers have good voice control and this would be appropriate.

One of the Fantasy Hero supplements (Fantasy Hero Companion II maybe?) has a section on "Bard Magic" which is likely to have some good ideas for specific power builds.

An actual exchange between me and my mother -

Mom: "What is this music you are listening to?"

Me: "The Cure."

Mom: "The Cure? It sounds like the disease."