Villain: makes hero's powers go out-of-control

Tech

I have the barest bones of an idea for a villain I'd like to create but I think I'm going to need some help growing it from a kernel of an idea to a full-blown idea:

Most heroes, if not all, are accustomed to their powers. They know their limits and most can use their abilities with finese as they fully skilled with their power.

However..

This villain has the power to dramatically increase a heroes powers, making him or her lose control. The effect will take place rapidly but not instantly. Only the strongest willed heroes have a chance to retain control of their powers (and heaven help this villain if a hero does). The hero loses control of their powers because their powers aren't working like they used to.

I'm a little stumped (for now) on how to handle the 'out of control' aspect: a brick would probably have troubles taking a single step without breaking something, even the ground; an energy projector may end up blasting a building, shoot harmlessly into the sky or blast a nearby teammate, etc etc.

I should add that this won't work on skilled martial artists (unless they have a superpower), powered armor (mmmm, maybe) or people relying on certain foci (a incredibly powerful scepter- probably, a handgun - no).

This isn't a simple concept but hey, I like a challenge. I could probably create this myself but I figure, hey, ask the forums for ideas I may not have thought of.

Re: Villain: makes hero's powers go out-of-control

Hmm...

Without any of my books on hand, I'd guess an Aid vs any power, Useable as an attack, ranged, with a Variable Advantage/Disadvantage on it to simulate any other side effects (Always on, Uncontrolled, Increased END Cost if you're feeling evil). But that's just a guess.

THere was a few issues of PS 238 recently that had a character that could do that; His name was Harold(?), and he could alternately negate or supercharge any ability, including Characteristics. I believe it was Issue #14 and 15. Some examples included:

-Nuclear powered blaster having her powers 'Always On', and radiating damaging energy

-Supergenius' mind boosted to the point he was focussed on some minor problem, becoming a drooling idiot

-Green Lantern homage creating objects at random

Failing that, there's always a good old fashioned Major Transform, or a limited form of Mind Control (Must activate all powers). Just make sure you keep it out of the PCs' hands.

Oh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS238 for a general overview, http://www.ps238.com for the official site

Offhand, Major Transform to add Xd6 of Unluck or Activation Rolls to certain powers or however you want to symbolize the loss of control would probably be the simplest (albeit a bit cheesy - "Transform" can become something of an overused catch-all if not careful) solution. Honestly, if this is for an NPC, I wouldn't stress TOO much over the "hows" of how to build it, I would just want to make sure I knew ahead of time how I wanted it to affect each player character, flesh out the sfx (is it a ray? a mental thing?), and run with it. I think as long as you have a loose definition of the mechanics of the power, and know how the PC's can either avoid, resist, or otherwise not be affected by it (and, conversely, what it will do to them if affected) you should be fine.

How about simple Mind Control, with limitations (only to shoot off powers, eg.)?

Some Aid to REC or END to bump up the rate the character can use the powers, and either TK or Entangle vs Ego to represent that the character is trapped and can't control where they move until they succeed at an Ego roll?

The Aid would be the part that lasts after the Tk/Mind Control is broken out of.

The only time I did this (Utility figured out how to remotely-override a powered-armor PC hero's neural controls), I didn't actually draw it up. I just did it as a plot device.

How much control does the villain have over the power(s) that are over-amped and when/how they are activated? And is this the villain's normal schtick, or a plot device for a villain with other normal powers?

Assuming little control of the exact powers, and this being the villain's main schtick:

You could always use a good-size VPP (90 points minimum; I'd suggest more), changes in 0 phase (probably no skill roll too) and No Conscious Control (only at -1, since he specifies the target but not the exact effect), only to simulate others' power types (-1/4). The sfx of the power is a target's power going out of control.

Note I said "simulate others' power types" not "simulate others' powers", since the actual effects will differ from the hero's specific powers.

So he hits Captain Brick with it, and it does 12d6 Energy Blast (Physical), AOE (hex), Only vs. targets on or near the ground, as CB's strength and density go out of control and crush things/damages the floor. Or Explosion, as his footsteps cause localized earthquakes.

Or he hits Rad Boy with the power, and random energy shoots out of his fingertips, toes, eyes, and mouth -- 10d6 EB (Radiation), AOE (Radius).

Flyboy's jetpack goes out of control: 20" Flight, Usable against Other as Attack, Ranged.

Medico's Healing is overamped: 6d6 Minor Transform (to class of targets), Sticky, Trigger (Healing power used) to cause mutations on the targets of Medico's healing touch.

Mentallus' telepathic powers begin reading every mind in sight to the point that Mentallus can't concentrate: your typical mental entangle (3d6 Entangle 4 DEF, BOECV, Not affected by physical, yadda yadda)

Very interesting idea. Reminds me of "wild magic" in AD&D...

Sometimes the rules are a too cumbersome to fit your idea's into, sometimes it's better to not get hung up on powers, points, and advantages/disads.

I'm thinking when the player use their powers (including superhuman strength) have them make an Ego roll modified by the active points in the power or stat / 10 (maybe 5 if you feel like punishing them). If they fail then something bizarre happens; the power goes haywire, the power does something unpredictable. Maybe make up a quick couple of tables with strange effects on them, have the player roll to see what happens...or pick (or make up) one yourself to heighten the drama. Story first, rules second...know what I mean?

I think that it's not within the rules but it would probably work ok.

This isn't a simple concept but hey, I like a challenge. I could probably create this myself but I figure, hey, ask the forums for ideas I may not have thought of.

Major Transform is the simplest and therefore best approach. Sometimes you've got to go with the failsafe catchall.

I'd go with the Major Transform and have revised character writeups for each character with "out of control powers" for my own reference when a Transformed character tries to use his powers.

I think the simplest approach might be to add side effects that always occur and/or No Conscious Control (probably at the -1 level, maybe the full -2) to the powers affected, then boost their AP to result in the same total cost of each power. Voila - increased power and loss of control.

How about Aid with an Extreme Side Effect (full active or 60pts, which ever is bigger) that only effects the recipient of the power (one quarter less limitation for a total of 3/4) where the side effect is that the power is out of control as you described.

That's how I'd do it I reckon.

I'd go with the Major Transform and have revised character writeups for each character with "out of control powers" for my own reference when a Transformed character tries to use his powers.

I think the simplest approach might be to add side effects that always occur and/or No Conscious Control (probably at the -1 level, maybe the full -2) to the powers affected, then boost their AP to result in the same total cost of each power. Voila - increased power and loss of control.

In retrospect, I agree that Major Transform is the way to do this, and I like Hugh's idea a lot, along with something Sentry said.

I'd do the following:

25 . . Elemental Control: Uncontrollable Power Boost (75 points), No Range (-1/2)

25 . . 1) Stay Far Away: 1d6 Major Transform, Improved Target Group* (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Effect (12" Radius; +1 1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Sight and Hearing; +3/4), No Range (-1/2)

45 . . 2) Don't Get Too Close: 2d6 Major Transform, Improved Target Group* (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosion (-1d6/3"; +1), 0 END (+1/2), No Range (-1/2)

63 . . 3) And DON'T Let Him Touch You: 5d6 Major Transform, Improved Target Group* (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), No Range (-1/2). Costs 10 END.

For a more tragic character, make the last Tranform a Persistent Damage Shield and add Always On to the EC and all of the powers. I added Personal Immunity in case you give the villain other powers besides these.

* The Improved Target Group allows a two-level Transform. The first time the villain does 2x the target's BODY, it increases the Active Points of each of a target's Powers and adds Requires an EGO roll (-1 per 10 Active Points in the power; -1/2) and Side Effects (Active points in Power; -1) to offset the increase in points. At this level of effect, every time the hero uses a Power, he must make an EGO roll or it shoots out of control. But if he doesn't use a Power, nothing happens.

** The second time the villain does 2x the target's BODY, increase the Active Points of each Power even further, with Requires two EGO Rolls (still -1 per 10 Active Points; -3/4), Side Effects as above (-1), plus No Conscious Control (at -1, because of the second RSR). One EGO roll allows the hero to control turning the power on or off, the other to bypass the Side Effects so he can do a controlled attack. So if the hero sticks around too long, or gets grabbed and can't get away, his Powers will eventually activate wildly even when he isn't trying to use them.

*** Especially in the latter level of effect, some additional Advantages and/or Limitations might need to be added to certain powers, like Explosion onto high STR, to more properly simulate the power going wild.

So this costs 158 points, but since it's the villain's big (perhaps only) schtick, that's not bad. I'd say that the BODY heals 1 per set amount of time, like 1 Turn or 1 Minute, only starting once the target is no longer taking Transform damage.

Note that if he's in contact with someone, they're taking all three attacks, making it 8d6 worth of Transform (average roll of 28 BODY, which instantly Transforms someone with 14 BODY and no Power Defense).

If the target has Power Defense, it gets trickier, since it's actually three separate attacks instead of one big one. Assuming 5 points of Power Defense (halved to 3 points due to Armor Piercing) and average rolls on each Transform, he does 18 BODY of effect on a touch, or 4 BODY of effect within 3" of him. So a hero with 12 BODY and 5 Power Defense would be effected by being within 3" in one Phase, and being touched in another Phase.

If you want to do this by the book, you'll need to draw up (beforehand) versions of each hero at the increased Active Point levels with the new Limitations. Since the hero may already have other Advantages and Limitations on their powers, it won't necessarily be as simple as just doubling the Active points of each Power.

Or you can wing it, guesstimating the new Active Point levels of each power. Personally, that's how I'd do it, as long as the players are willing to accept my guesstimates and power modifications (like adding Explosion to high STR) without argument.

While running this, I'd allow certain Psych Lims (like Protective of Innocents) to give the hero a bonus to his EGO roll for maintaining control, while others (like Vengeful) might give an additional minus. That -1/10 points will make that EGO roll pretty darn tough, especially since the Active points on any given Power will be higher than normal.