Divine Portfolios Help requested.

Enforcer84

Though initially I need this for some Champions "deities as Superheroes/Villains" ideas, I figure this could also be a resource for Fantasy HERO as well.

I'm trying to come up with good skills, powers (flavor, minor, and major) for deities of various "Portfolios".

I was looking at the Deities & Demigods for 3rd Edition. There was a list of Portfolios that I think reached 144... this is what I came up with for the God of Abundance:

Abundance:

+3 INT

+5 PRE

+2 COM

Abundant Talent: +1 Overall Level

Abundant Friendships: Well Connected

Abundant Wealth: Wealthy Perk

For Powers I perused Our Grimrores and tinkered a bit.

Abundance of Comfort: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 3/4) (25 Active Points)

Abundant Feast: Life Support (Eating Character does not eat or drink), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Delayed Effect (x2 number active; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 16 people at once; +1 1/4) (8 Active Points)

Abundant Energy: Succor Energy Powers 5d6, any Energy Based power one at a time (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (44 Active Points)

Abundant Vitality: Succor Characteristic 5d6, any one Characteristic (+1/4) (31 Active Points)

I mean that one's easy, but what about the God of Mischief? sure give him some DEX, INT, and sleight of hand, but what else?

If we work together I'm sure we can create something we can all use. Or Just me. I'm cool with that.

Re: Divine Portfolios Help requested.

Well, it kinda depends on what you see a God of Mischief actually doing, but off the top of my head: Invisibility, Images, Mental Illusions and Shape Shift, since mischief gods seem to be big on deception and misdirection. Desolid to get into places they don't belong. Minor Transform and/or low level Summoning, to cause objects to malfunction or bring in harmless but disruptive creatures. Persuasion Skill with a pretty high roll, to lie to and mislead people, and maybe Concealment to hide stolen goods. Stealth and Lockpicking would make sense, particularly if used in lieu of some of the Powers mentioned above.

Thankyou!

Here's some more:

God of Knowledge:

+10 INT

Scholar (& Scientist)

20pts KS/SS

Lightning Calculator

Speed Reading (x10 or more)

Edietic Memory

Bump of Direction

Absolute Time Sense

Absolute Range Sense

Any of the Hyper Intelligence powers from USPD2

Deduction

Research

Instructor

I'd give your God of Knowledge some Clairvoyance Retro/Precognition, too. Maybe with the "Requires a Deduction Roll" limit. Based on scant evidence, he can make leaps of logic to accurately predict what's going to happen in the future, and what happened in the past. Throw in a handful of the right limitations and he's doing the Reed Richards Calculates the Future thing. :thumbup:

That's more a deity of Divination, rather than Intelligence. Intelligence is usually focused on the "here & now" and creating the "next big thing." Not that the bunneh is wrong, I just disagree. That's the nature of the question, though, yeah? How much overlap? Deities of WHAT, exactly? And... are these granted powers? Or are these Deific abilities?

I'm trying to come up with good skills, powers (flavor, minor, and major) for deities of various "Portfolios".

I mean that one's easy, but what about the God of Mischief? sure give him some DEX, INT, and sleight of hand, but what else?

If we work together I'm sure we can create something we can all use. Or Just me. I'm cool with that.

Well, for some realy great "portfolios" I would suggest contacting Playdiety for some back issue scrolls. :eg:

That's more a deity of Divination' date=' rather than Intelligence. Intelligence is usually focused on the "here & now" and creating the "next big thing." Not that the bunneh is wrong, I just disagree. That's the nature of the question, though, yeah? How much overlap? Deities of WHAT, exactly? And... are these granted powers? Or are these Deific abilities?[/quote']

Good question. Answer is this, what ever you want.

Like I said there were hundreds of sample portfolios. If you think you have a great idea for a God of Generals, throw it down. Someone (like me) could use it.

Deities certainly will have huge, off the chart EGO and PRE scores concerning their own followers and certainly hard to ignore/resist to non-followers.

Reputation. A Deity has to have it and the more powerful they are, the more Rep they have. Their skills in conversation, oratory and persuasion might be off the chart for their own followers and certainly hard to ignore/resist for non-followers.

Etc...

To be sure, I'd have a 'Deity Package Deal' which every Deity has...

Chad.

If you haven't learned this in two years, I do not do well with blank pages. I need boundaries, so I know where the line is, usually so I can draw outside of it. I need something more concrete in terms of guidelines.

And rep. Mars needs more rep.

Chad.

If you haven't learned this in two years, I do not do well with blank pages. I need boundaries, so I know where the line is, usually so I can draw outside of it. I need something more concrete in terms of guidelines.

You are right, of course. 144 or more portfolios is rather difficult to plan for. So, I'll suggest a basic Pantheon in which to proceed with; to wit.

'The Almighty': The Father and the Mother.

Their offspring:

The Prince: Portfolio includes Family, Leadership and Protection.

The Hero: Portfolio includes Bravery, Loyalty, Service.

The Trickster: Portfolio includes Deception, Humor, Stories.

The Villain: Portfolio includes Crime, Monsters and Sin.

The Sage: Portfolio includes Creativity, Knowledge, Wisdom.

The Entertainer: Portfolio includes Art, Poetry, Music.

The Warlord: Portfolio includes Battle, Tactics and Warfare.

The Engineer: Portfolio includes Architecture, Craftsmanship, Construction.

The Laborer: Portfolio includes Home & Hearth, Work.

The Naturalist: Portfolio includes Animals, Nature, The Wild Outdoors.

God of Mischief would also have: Conversation, Persuasion, Seduction, Mental DEF (So the God of Telepathy can't easily tell if he's lying), Disguise, maybe Animal Handling (Hermes stole the gods' cattle by making them walk backwards out of the corrale - hoofprints leading in, but the herd is missing), maybe CE or weather control powers - to make mischief happen, but be able to say, "It wasn't me, it was just nature."

God of Knowledge might also have Telepathy (both to extract knowledge from others, and to "know" their minds perhaps better than they know themselves), Oratory, Tactics, and of course, lots of KSs, SSs, etc.

Chad.

Okay, Pick your poison.

I'd be interested in Portfolios of:

Generals (military commanders)

Beauty

The Moon

Lies

Honor

Protection

Mountains

Rivers

Cats

Dogs

Soldiers

Medics

Merchants

Kings/Rulers

Wizards

Hunters

Farmers

Night

Guardians

Rogues

Adventure

Greed

Fear

Courage

That should be enough.

What I need/want/think others would want are package deals of a sort

What kind of skills (or skill bonuses) would they have?

What Kind of Attributes would they excel in?

What kind of special abilities/talents/powers would their nature imply?

I'm looking for 25-100 pts of stuff for a modular, "Quick Deity Build" system.

I have some ideas, which I will share but I oft find many of you all to be more creative than me. So I like to open the floor to suggestions, critiques, and alternate packages.

That's structured enough for you?

Well, a god of art will need a portfolio; OK, not sculpture, just drawing/painting/etc. A god of advertising will need a portfolio. So will a god of (musical) composition.

Alright, joking aside, what the bloody **** is "portfolio" supposed to mean in this situation? Because I know what a portfolio is, but that makes no sense the way it's being used here.

I mean, Deendee plays around with meanings sometimes, and I don't know what WotCee has done with this word. Help, please?

Well, a god of art will need a portfolio; OK, not sculpture, just drawing/painting/etc. A god of advertising will need a portfolio. So will a god of (musical) composition.

Alright, joking aside, what the bloody **** is "portfolio" supposed to mean in this situation? Because I know what a portfolio is, but that makes no sense the way it's being used here.

I mean, Deendee plays around with meanings sometimes, and I don't know what WotCee has done with this word. Help, please?

sorry, d20 term.

Apparently it describes a subset of the God's sphere of influence. Not all Sun Gods would have the same "portfolios" one might have Sun (duh), Healing, Protection, Good as their portfolios, a nice protective, nurturing Sun Goddess, another might be a more evil destroyer Sun God who has Sun, Destruction, Strength, and Evil as their portfolios.

sorry, d20 term.

Apparently it describes a subset of the God's sphere of influence. Not all Sun Gods would have the same "portfolios" one might have Sun (duh), Healing, Protection, Good as their portfolios, a nice protective, nurturing Sun Goddess, another might be a more evil destroyer Sun God who has Sun, Destruction, Strength, and Evil as their portfolios.

There's actually three different deendee jargon terms being refered to here: "portfolio," "sphere of influence," and "domain(s)". The last being refered to but not explicitly used.

AFAIK, "portfolio" = "sphere of influence" and simply means what the god is the god of, which may include multiple things. Apollo, for example was the god of archery and music (and particularly the lyre or similar stringed instruments, as it was invented from the bow).

IIRC, "sphere of influence" was the term deendee used to use back in 1st and 2nd edition. Where 3rd+ uses "portfolio."

"Domain" refers to a specific set of cleric spells, one from each level, and a special ability that may be granted to clerics. In order to simplify and compartmentalize the gods and their clerics in deendee, there are a finite number of specific domains (with more added in each splatbook). Each god in deendee has four domains, usually one or two associated with their "alignment" (another deendee term, though somewhat more well-known) and two or three others presumably related as closely as possible to the god's sphere of influence.

The whole domain system, while it works well enough for deendee, has nothing to do with classical mythology or how the gods were actually viewed and worshipped historically. Most of the time, they were not nearly so well-organized and well-defined.

And the usage actually comes from politics (specifically British-inspired politics) where traditionally the papers prepared for a minister would be delivered in .... a portfolio. Hence, if you were minister for Health, then all the health-related papers would be in your portfolio. The term quickly came to mean "things you were responsible for" in English english and rapidly spread beyond politics although it's slightly old-fashioned these days.

D&D adopted it from there.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Althon is the God of Kings. He is the Leader of the Althonic Pantheon

His Spheres of Influence are:

Nobility

War

Leadership

Protection

What qualities would you give a God of Nobility? A God of Leadership?

What abilities might said God pass on to his loyal followers?

I have a Presence Boost +20 PRE; Concentration (gotta summon the will) Extra Time to activate. Works offensively and Defensively.

Anything else?

Inquiring Chads want to know.

What qualities would you give a God of Nobility? A God of Leadership?

What abilities might said God pass on to his loyal followers?

For followers, perhaps a Package Deal:

High Society

KS: Nobility

Oratory

Persuasion

Tactics

Teamwork

Perk: More gold

Perk: Reputation

Perk: Contacts