New build

Lord Mhoram

Here is something I came up with for a character - someone who is incredibly strong willed.

7 +10 CON (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Ego Roll) (-1/2), If activates, -2 DCV and lose a half phase (-1/2), Only to resist stunning (-1/4)

The idea is that when an attack would ordinarily stun the character, they have enough force of will (or force of personality, or just plain gutsyness) to fight through the stun - instead of losing a whole phase and dropping to 1/2 DCV, the character loses 2 DCV and loses a half phase. They have to make an Ego roll at -2 to do so.

Of course if they blow the Ego roll or the attack would stun them with the +10 con, then they are fully stunned anyway.

Mechanically it is sort of nice to have something between Stunned and not stunned. Ads a little gradation. :)

Re: New build

Is 'only to resist Stunning' a -1/4 limitation for CON that's already got no figured characteristics?

Are CON rolls that common in your campaign? What else is CON used for that is commonplace?

"No Figured" is so undercosted for CON in the first place that it's ludicrous. Buy +15 CON for 30 points and get +3 ED, +3 REC, + 8 STUN and +30 END. Remove all those figured characteristics and save a whopping 10 points for giving up 32 points' worth of Figured characteristics. No Figured applied to CON should be worth -2 at a minimum.

The stupidity of setting the value of "No Figured" as a flat amount regardless of the characteristic it is applied to is a whole 'nother topic, of course.

"No Figured" is so undercosted for CON in the first place that it's ludicrous. Buy +15 CON for 30 points and get +3 ED, +3 REC, + 8 STUN and +30 END. Remove all those figured characteristics and save a whopping 10 points for giving up 32 points' worth of Figured characteristics. No Figured applied to CON should be worth -2 at a minimum.

The stupidity of setting the value of "No Figured" as a flat amount regardless of the characteristic it is applied to is a whole 'nother topic, of course.

Better yet scrap figured characteristics altogether for a far more transparent costing structure. Hmm. Never going to happen, is it?

Anyway, I like the 'staggered' build. Nice one.

Is 'only to resist Stunning' a -1/4 limitation for CON that's already got no figured characteristics?

Are CON rolls that common in your campaign? What else is CON used for that is commonplace?

I run fantasy primarily - so Con rolls do happen on a not infrequent basis. And it could very easily be a -0 - I actually figured it was worth a -1/8, but decided to lean in the direction of the player, due to no figured characteristics being undercosted (for CON, I figure it should be a -1 or so). :)

Better yet scrap figured characteristics altogether for a far more transparent costing structure. Hmm. Never going to happen' date=' is it? [/quote']

I used to hate the idea with the passions of a burning sun, but I've come around to, while not necessarily liking it, if that is a change that is made later, I'll go with it.

I thought about something like this years ago done strictly as a CON roll to avoid being Stunned, but I think your method is probably better because it's more granular - the character can buy exactly as much extra CON as he needs; anything from 5 to 50. I see it as likely more useful for characters with relatively low CON like MA's; most bricks already have the CON to match their defenses.

Repped. :)

Better yet scrap figured characteristics altogether for a far more transparent costing structure.

We do that in our high Sci-Fi campaigns when designing alien races. We have done it in a couple of Fantasy games as well. We dabble with changing the formulas for figured a few times, and while it's an easy enough numbers exercise, it's a logistical nightmare....

Better yet scrap figured characteristics altogether for a far more transparent costing structure. Hmm. Never going to happen, is it?

Anyway, I like the 'staggered' build. Nice one.

I used to hate the idea with the passions of a burning sun' date=' but I've come around to, while not necessarily liking it, if that is a change that is made later, I'll go with it.[/quote']

I would prefer to see both figured characteristics and "No Figured" recosted so that sellbacks and "no figured" would carry equal value. Howevre, that would require reducing the price of STUN, END and REC (and probably declaring them "defensive characteristics" to mitigate the impact on adjustment powers). I've posted a possible repricing and slight refitting of the Figured rules to accomplish this before.