Need help with naming substance and character.

Herolover

Hello everyone.

I am a long time HERO GM and am finally getting to play instead of sit behind the screen. I have a character, but I can't come up with a name for him or his power. Here is the idea:

This is a teenage character that, for want of a better word, secretes a dark gooey substance. I am thinking it is something like liquid graphite or liquid metal.

The character in question has the ability to control the density of the substance and its viscosity. This allows him to form solid objects, do the Iceman slide thing, form armor, stretch, form entangles, and he can use it to cling to substances. He can also coat a floor with it making it almost impossible to stand up.

So, I have been calling this character "Goo boy," because I don't have any other name. I need a name for the substance and then a name for the character. Any ideas?

Hello,

Well, the substance seems to bear some superficial resemblance to tar, which would be a usable name for it, though it is of course not necessarily any closer in composition to real tar than coconut "milk" is to real milk.

This would in turn suggest "Tar Baby" as a character name, referring both to the famous Sticky Entangler of the folk tale, and to your character's teen-aged youth. It doesn't seem the sort of thing a stereotypical insecure teen might call himself, though, so such a name would likely have been bestowed by a flippant witness or reporter. Or, he could just have a well-developed self-deprecating sense of humor. :)

The substance is also a liquid (at least sometimes), liquids carry waves, and "Dark Wave" (or perhaps some variant thereof) does sound like the kind of thing a stereotypical insecure teen might call himself.

Returning to the tar theme for a moment, teenagers also sometimes get the idea that drug references are cool, and "Black Tar" is a nickname for a variety of heroin, as well as a workable description of your character's substance. Perhaps he listens to a lot of Nirvana...

If you're looking for a quasi-scientific name, tenebroplasm is semi-passable Latin for "dark (or shadowy) moldable substance". Perhaps something could be done with that...

Incidentally, there was a character in Mark Gruenwald's excellent Squadron Supreme limited series with a somewhat similar power (though apparently not as versatile as your character); his name was Quagmire.

Anyway, even if you don't pick one of them, I hope these suggestions have at least helped kick the old idea machine up into gear! :)

Character: Dark Matter

Substance name (popular): Soliquid

Substance name (scientific): Morphomutative baryonic material

If the character is a fun loving carefree sort he could instead call himself something like 'Gunkmaster' or 'Splurge'.

If the game is Silver Age then you know what the 'scientific' name for the stuff would be? Unstable molecules. He has the power to produce and control unstable molecules. In fact, maybe he was the source for the FF's costumes?

He could also be Tarpit or Jack Tar (I think Jolly Jack Tar is pushing it).

Ooze?

Names based around the nature of the substance (Graphos or Metallis) could be used. How about calling it Proteum, after Proteus, the shape-changing sea god? There's a precedent for this, in DC's Promethium. IIRC correctly Cobalt is named after the kobolds from German myth. I'm not big on chemistry, so I might be missing a more obvious example, although of course Mercury is named after the Roman god.

Does he like Metal music? Maybe he calls himself Metallica and later gets sued or possibly even a licensing deal (for no money, as a settlement in the action).

What's his personality like? Is he a "Dark whatever", an angry angsty teenager, or happy go-lucky?

First let me thank everyone for the names that you have come up with. This is why I posted this question to this board. I knew someone should be able to come up with something when I was stonewalled.

Here is the character:

Val Char Cost

13 STR 3

18 DEX 24

18 CON 16

12 BODY 4

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

7/23 PD 4

3/11 ED -1

5 SPD 22

7 REC 0

80 END 22

50 STUN 22

6" RUN 0

0" SWIM -2

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 122

Cost Power

28 Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4)

3u 1) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD) (50 Active Points)

3u 2) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (45 Active Points)

3u 3) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. PD) (45 Active Points)

3u 4) Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF (Stops A Given Sense: Normal Sight), Sticky Standard (+1/2) (45 Active Points)

3u 5) Flash 10d6 (Sight Group) (50 Active Points)

3u 6) Change Environment 16" radius, -3" of Running, -6 to DEX Roll (49 Active Points)

5 Elemental Control, 18-point powers, all slots: (9 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4)

15 1) Body of ?????: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Armor (8 PD/4 ED) (18 Active Points); Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14) plus Clinging (63 STR) (27 Active Points); Linked to Armor (-1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) (Real Cost: 15)

3 2) Armor (8 PD/4 ED) (18 Active Points); Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4)

6 3) Goo slide: Flight 11" (22 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)

7 4) Stretching 5" (25 Active Points); No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 82

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 13-

1 Computer Programming 8-

3 High Society 12-

2 KS: Football 11-

2 KS: Local High Society 11-

2 KS: Local High School Football teams 11-

3 Language: French (fluent conversation; literate)

2 PS: Athlete 11-

1 PS: Football Player 8-

1 Streetwise 8-

9 Power 14-

Skills Cost: 29

Cost Perk

7 Contact: Father (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

5 Money: Well Off

3 Fringe Benefit: Membership Various clubs and organizatons

Perks Cost: 15

Total Character Cost: 248

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Dependent NPC: Father 11- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)

30 Dependent NPC: Girlfriend 14- (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Enraged: When told he is called a "freak or mutant" equivalent. (Common), go 11-, recover 11-

15 Hunted: Government Agency 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

15 Hunted: Enemies of Father 11- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hates to use powers. (Common; Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Just wants to be "normal" again. (Common; Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Moody cause he can't be in sports any more (Common; Strong)

5 Rivalry: Professional (; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Occasionally; Major)

I don't have any kind of name for him so lets call him Jack.

Jack is your basic rich kid star quarterback jock. Up until this year his only dream has been to play football and he was a star quarterback at his local high school. However, when his powers began to exhibit themselves Jack's father took him out of the public schools and enrolled him into "Ravenswood Academy."

Ravenswood is a private school that has a secret section for students with powers. Jack, no unable to play football, hates his powers, doesn't want to use them, and just wants to return to "normal" so he can play football. Jack is in his Junior year of high school.

Wow Scott Destroyer

What a bunch of great ideas.

I figure I am going to use "Goo Boy and Tar Baby" as slang for the character. It is something other people call him, but he hates being called that. He prefers his technical name.

At this moment, could change easily, I am liking the idea of calling the substance tenebroplasm. Something that makes him feel better about his powers than just saying..."Yeah, I secrete a goo."

Okay, I hope these aren't too silly for you, but if you wanted to take the French and push it in the direction of Cajun, you could make him from Louisiana and call him Molasses. The southern accent, the football, the whole package.

And if you wanted to make him female, you could call him Praline.:)

KA

Originally posted by Brandi

An aside (and I may be presumptous here): if the kid's African-American I'm not sure he'd be too happy about the name Tar Baby.

I hadn't decided on this part, but I admit that the idea of him being called Tar Baby and his ethnic background had come up in my mind. I think it might be interesting to work it this way. I might even change the enraged to a berserk.

A couple other options, depending upon

musical tendancies....

A version of Agent X's idea, and an idea for

his real name... He could be 'Sid Viscous'

*listens to the groans from the crowd*

Or if he is less punk and more rock-and-roll,

how about just 'Greaser'

Splunge! Definately Splunge!

::ahem::

Um, how about Toxic Waste? Then you could have team-mates call out to him, "Waste those guys!" His quote could be "Time to get Wasted!"

Or the Livin' Sludge? Sludge is a simple name for the stuff, and if he coats himself with it as armor, he would indeed look like a living mass of Sludge.

Or he could call himself Splatterman and refer to the goo as "the Splat".

Phlegm Boy just doesn't work for me...

There have got to be heavy metal band names that are just begging to be used as this kid's super hero name...

Doc

Hi again,

Thanks for the kind words, Herolover. Picking names is usually a tough part of character creation for me as well, and it's especially important in superhero RPG's, where you want something that makes a cool, concise statment, and can't just take a decent-sounding name of vaguely Celtic, Saxon, or Latin extraction. These, though, popped into mind one after another, much faster than I usually manage such things. Kind of surprised me, actually. :)

Of the other names I see here, I have to say I think Doug McCrae's "Dark Matter" is way cool, too, with its cosmological overtones. Creating any substance apparently from nothing is bound to have some interesting deep physics implications, right?

Originally posted by Herolover:

I figure I am going to use "Goo Boy and Tar Baby" as slang for the character. It is something other people call him, but he hates being called that. He prefers his technical name.

Yes, this sounds entirely reasonable. Both sound like they could be nicknames, either cruel or affectionate, picked up from fellow adolescent teammates or classmates; there's a very New Mutants or Generation X feel to both of them. They're not really the sort of things most teens would pick on their own, nor are they the sort that would likely be assigned as code-names by a Professor X or White Queen adult leader-type.

Originally posted by Brandi:

An aside (and I may be presumptous here): if the kid's African-American I'm not sure he'd be too happy about the name Tar Baby.

I considered this for a bit as well, but decided to mention it anyway. It's supposedly not really any of the main content of the Uncle Remus stories or the characters people object to, so much as the thick stereotypical accents (implying ignorance), and the absurdly romanticized portrayal of slavery and its conditions. Neither really applies to a simple name in plain English, of course, and folk tales in general are universal and transcend race and culture.

Originally posted by Arkham:

Or if he is less punk and more rock-and-roll,

how about just 'Greaser'

Heh heh heh...for those who don't think "Tar Baby" would stir up a big enough racial hornet's nest...why not have everyone of Mexican or Italian heritage in the neighborhood throwing rocks at the poor guy as he passes on the street...

Originally Posted by winterhawk:

Since you've described him as a kid, how about Inkling?

This actually gets a lot of cool points in my book, though not for reasons a stereotypical jock would know about. The Inklings were an informal circle of writers at Oxford in the early-to-mid 20th century, and included J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis - double the geek cool, double the fun... :)

Originally Posted by DocMan:

Um, how about Toxic Waste? Then you could have team-mates call out to him, "Waste those guys!" His quote could be "Time to get Wasted!"

Or the Livin' Sludge? Sludge is a simple name for the stuff, and if he coats himself with it as armor, he would indeed look like a living mass of Sludge.

Or he could call himself Splatterman and refer to the goo as "the Splat".

These could actually work out pretty well if the GM is a Troma Films or Evil Dead fan and is mixing that style of over-the-top comedy into the campaign. :D

I thought you might be interested.

Here is the character version 1.0

Sludge

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [1]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV 6 DCV 6

18 CON 16 13-

12 BODY 4 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

5/25 PD 2 Total: 5/25 PD (0/20 rPD)

5/15 ED 1 Total: 5/15 ED (0/10 rED)

5 SPD 32 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 6

50 END 7

40 STUN 12 Total Characteristic Cost: 113

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"/20"

Leaping: 2 1/2"

Gliding: 0" / 16"

Cost Powers END

25 Tenebroplasm Control: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), Limited Range Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)

2u 1) Tenebroplasm Blast: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD) (50 Active Points) 5

2u 2) Tenebroplasm Mouth Blob: Energy Blast 3d6 (vs. PD), No Normal Defense Life Support (Sefl Contained breathing) (+1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points) 4

2u 3) Tenebroplasm Knife : Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. PD) (50 Active Points) 5

2u 4) Tenebroplasm Prison: Entangle 4d6, 5 DEF (Stops A Given Sense: Normal Sight) (50 Active Points) 5

2u 5) Tenebroplasm Eyes Blob: Flash 10d6 (Sight Group) (50 Active Points) 5

2u 6) Tenebroplasm Sheet: Change Environment 16" radius, -1" of Running, -5 to DEX Roll, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Only effects targets on the ground (-1/4) 5

8 Tenebroplasm Control: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, all slots: (15 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4)

12 1) Body of Tenebroplasm: Armor (20 PD/10 ED) (45 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 4

7 2) Tenebroplam Adhesiveness: Clinging (73 STR) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 3

5 3) Body of Tenebroplasm: Desolidification (40 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Concentration 0 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Extra Time Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (-1/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4) 4

6 4) Malleable Tenebroplasm : Stretching 6" (30 Active Points); No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4) 3

8 Tenebroplasm Slide: Multipower, 16-point reserve, all slots: (16 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

1u 1) Basic Tenebroaplasm Slide: +8" Running (6"/14" total) (16 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) 2

1u 2) Above Ground Tenebroplasm Slide: Gliding 16" (16 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)

3 Tenebroplasm limbs: Extra Limbs (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) 1

Perks

7 Father Jake Ryan Jr. :Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

5 Money: Well Off

3 Various Clubs and Organizations: Fringe Benefit: Membership

Skills

3 Breakfall 13-

1 Computer Programming 8-

3 High Society 12-

2 KS: Football 11-

2 KS: Local High Society 11-

2 KS: Local High School Football teams 11-

3 Language: French (fluent conversation; literate)

2 PS: Athlete 11-

1 PS: Football Player 8-

1 Streetwise 8-

13 Tenebroplasm Control: Power 16-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 136

Total Cost: 249

150+ Disadvantages

10 Dependent NPC: Father; Jake Ryan Jr 11- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)

20 Dependent NPC: Girlfriend; Samantha Baker 8- (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Enraged: When told he is called a "freak, mutant, or Tar Baby" equivalent. (Common), go 11-, recover 14-

15 Hunted: Government Agency 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

10 Hunted: Enemies of Father 8- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hates to use powers. (Common; Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Just wants to be "normal" again. (Common; Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Moody cause he can't be in sports any more (Common; Strong)

5 Rivalry: Professional (David Sheridan; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Occasionally; Major)

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

0 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 249

Background/History:

Jake Ryan III had it all. He was 16, the son of multi-millionaire Jake Ryan Jr, the star quarterback of his high school football team and the head cheerleader was his girlfriend. However, just like a bad story things came crashing down around Jake’s head.

Out late one Saturday night Jake happened to see a big warehouse on fire. The fire did look right and had a strange glow to it. Jake stopped to watch the fire and was bathed in the strange glow coming from the fire. As he watched the fire he felt light headed so Jake went home. When Jake woke from sleeping he was covered in a dark substance that he had never seen before. The next couple of days Jake kept on secreting the substance the same way people secrete sweat and Jake discovered that he could control the density and viscosity of the substance.

Jake tried to hide his new found powers, but he began to get worried about his health and his future on the football field. So, Jake went to his father and told him about his new found abilities. Jake’s father immediately got the best doctor’s and scientist working on his son.

The scientist named the substance Tenebroplasm and suggested thatJake be enrolled in the private school Ravenswood Academy. At Ravenswood Jake would be taught how to use, and hide, his powers. Jake Ryan Jr, who always wanted to send his son to a private school, jumped at the chance. Of course Jake Ryan III was totally unhappy with this decision. It meant he would not be seeing his friends as much and he wouldn’t be able to play football anymore.

Now, Jake Ryan is a Junior in high school at the Ravenswood Academy outside Millenium City. He no longer has a football career and is starting to resent his powers.

Personality/Motivation:

Jake is not happy with his powers. Jake hates using his powers and would like nothing more than to return to being a normal high school student. Jake is often called “Goo Boy,“ which he hesitantly accepts. However, if he is called Tar Baby or mutant Jake’s mean side gets the better of him and he vents his frustration upon the person who uttered the forbidden phrase.

Quote:

"He's going long...he looks...he throws...TOUCHDOWN!!!!"

Appearance:

Normally Jake appears as your average high school jock. He stands at 6’1†tall and weighs in at 185 lbs. He has sandy brown hair with blue eyes.

When his powers are activated Jake becomes a dark liquid mass of humanoid form with few discernable features.