Star Trek: Dominion War Aftermath and effects?

Hermit

While I'll probably never get the time, I have considered a "Post Dominion War" Star Trek setting. The only general consensus I seem to find is the Cardasian Union is screwed, and may not hold together, and both the Federation and Klingons are hurting. The Romulans seemed to come out of it looking good, at least until Nemesis threw them into some confusion. And the Founders? Well, thanks to Odo they get cured, but were they able to hold onto power among their own troops? True, the White kept the Jemhadar in line, and the Vorta worshiped them, but throughout the series hints that the former might be free occured, and the image of invincibility the Founders once had among their subjects was bound to take a hit.

Who would hold onto what conquered territories? Who would shore up defenses on what side of the worm hole? Would the Klingons really give up some of the systems they'd taken in battle? Would concessions be demanded from the Dominion?

And is Rom going to totally throw Feraninar's economic system into the toilet with his kindler gentler approach as Nagus? :)

There are many of you more versed in Trek Lore than I, and some of you just have a gift for expressing what you'd like to happen, and then what you think WOULD happen even if you don't like it, so I'm looking for ideas about the ramifications after the war, particularly along system borders and such, and who would end up allying with whom after.

Re: Star Trek: Dominion War Aftermath and effects?

Well, the impression I've gotten from the more recent ST series and film is that the immediate outlook for the ol' Alpha Quadrant is fairly optimistic. Yes, the Federation, Klingons and Romulans are all hurting after recent events, but their cooperation in the Dominion War, and Federation assistance averting upheaval in the Romulan Empire, has IMHO laid the groundwork for greater trust and cooperation between them, particularly since none of them are likely up for renewed conflicts. I suspect Cardassia is going to be the "sick man of the Alpha Quadrant" for some time, relying on the good will of its neighbors to rebuild, and probably won't be in much of a position to reassert its territorial claims.

The Dominion is currently at peace with the Alpha Quadrant, and it may be that Odo's passing on his understanding of "solid" society may work a sea change on the Founders' approach to other peoples. However, I don't think we can assume that knowledge of the Founders' near demise is so widespread that it would shake the faith of their worshippers. AFAWCT it was only the highest echelons of their leadership who ever discussed that point; and worship of the Founders is hard-wired into their servants on the genetic level, despite the occasional glitches in that programming. Mind you, some of those "glitched" people may latch onto their gods' weakness as justification to foment rebellion. In any case, we might see greater interaction between the Federation and the Dominion, although I would expect lingering paranoia about changelings in the Alpha Quadrant (not unlike some of the recent attitudes toward certain groups in the real world).

Frankly, I expect the biggest ongoing threat to the quadrant in future will be from the Borg. I'm sure that they will adapt and rebuild from the setbacks that Janeway and Voyager inflicted on them, and will still have designs on this corner of the galaxy. However, Voyager brought back enough intelligence on the Borg and their technology that the Federation may have a fighting chance against them. The Borg may change tactics to something more covert, rather than trying to assimilate through brute force.

Come to think of it, possession of Borg technology by the Federation might very well lead to friction with the other Alpha Quadrant powers, unless they're willing to share it. There's potential there for some interesting espionage stories.

It boggles the mind to imagine what changes Rom will bring to Ferenginar; but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ferengi of the same mindset as Quark wouldn't attempt to overthrow him, perhaps starting a Ferengi civil war. Being Ferengi the war would probably be economic rather than military; trying to undercut each other's markets, sabotaging resources, and so on. It could be interesting if the more unscrupulous Ferengi forged an alliance with the Orion Syndicate.

Of course, the ST continuity still has a largely untouched Beta Quadrant of the galaxy. The next great threat could easily be lurking there.

Well' date=' the impression I've gotten from the more recent ST series and film is that the immediate outlook for the ol' Alpha Quadrant is fairly optimistic. Yes, the Federation, Klingons and Romulans are all hurting after recent events, but their cooperation in the Dominion War, and Federation assistance averting upheaval in the Romulan Empire, has IMHO laid the groundwork for greater trust and cooperation between them, particularly since none of them are likely up for renewed conflicts.[/quote']

Excellent points...

One has to wonder if the Vulcans won't capitalize on this. The Tal Shiar were the one part of the Romulan Empire that got hurt the worst ("The Die is Cast" I believe) when they commited a lot of raw resources in joint work with the Cardasian Obsidian Order. In short, one of the major factions that would oppose reunification is a shattered wreck of itself. With Ambasador Spock at work, I dare say more Romulans are learning of the Vulcans in a positive light in a way that was censored before.

I suspect Cardassia is going to be the "sick man of the Alpha Quadrant" for some time, relying on the good will of its neighbors to rebuild, and probably won't be in much of a position to reassert its territorial claims.

Exceptional Individuals alike, I can easily see Bajor being tempted to exact a little vengeance via politics, and now part of the Federation, they can do so. While the Marquis were wiped out, a lot of sympathizers with them, and some 'almost joined' types might work with Bajor to renegotiate those border worlds. After all, the Cardaisians violated the treaties while part of the Dominion, so they are null and void. Heck, with the return of the Voyager crew, the few ex-Marquis might make a push as well for the Federation to review its past actions. The Cardasians might be sour on it, but they might consider it small cost in exchange for the help the Federation could bring.

The Dominion is currently at peace with the Alpha Quadrant, and it may be that Odo's passing on his understanding of "solid" society may work a sea change on the Founders' approach to other peoples. However, I don't think we can assume that knowledge of the Founders' near demise is so widespread that it would shake the faith of their worshippers. AFAWCT it was only the highest echelons of their leadership who ever discussed that point; and worship of the Founders is hard-wired into their servants on the genetic level, despite the occasional glitches in that programming. Mind you, some of those "glitched" people may latch onto their gods' weakness as justification to foment rebellion. In any case, we might see greater interaction between the Federation and the Dominion, although I would expect lingering paranoia about changelings in the Alpha Quadrant (not unlike some of the recent attitudes toward certain groups in the real world).

yeah, given the Federation isn't exactly proud of Section 31's infecting the Founders, but was still glad they did, I can see them not exactly bragging on it. Still, the Founders were beaten back, that has to be a shock, and that part will get out. The JemHadar, at least a small minority, may have something of a religious upheaval. The founders, after all, chose to give up Victory rather face death. A few might see the gods as having failed but there probably hasn't been enough time for them to make a full schism yet. If Wikipedia is to be believed, some Founder, Vorta, and Breen leaders were to be turned over for 'warcrimes', and those trials will surely be public.

The losses the Dominion faced may cause them trouble back home in those sections of the Gamma Quadrant that weren't under their control. Any smaller 'empires' in the area might see this as the ideal time to strike for a bit of payback. Mind you, a GM would have to do a lot of his own work on these other races as they'd just be hypothetical at this time.

Frankly, I expect the biggest ongoing threat to the quadrant in future will be from the Borg. I'm sure that they will adapt and rebuild from the setbacks that Janeway and Voyager inflicted on them, and will still have designs on this corner of the galaxy. However, Voyager brought back enough intelligence on the Borg and their technology that the Federation may have a fighting chance against them. The Borg may change tactics to something more covert, rather than trying to assimilate through brute force.

How long the Borg take to repair the warp hub will definitely affect things. They might instead expand into the Delta Quadrant's remnants which are 'easier' targets, but might also be considered too primitive to be of worth. If the Borg DO go after Kazon, Talaxians, and even Kremin, I don't see much hope for the poor devils.

Come to think of it, possession of Borg technology by the Federation might very well lead to friction with the other Alpha Quadrant powers, unless they're willing to share it. There's potential there for some interesting espionage stories.

Yeah, say what you like about the Voyager series (I enjoyed the last few seasons of it, hated the first two), Janeway and crew have really brought over some nice goodies for the Federation to play with.

It boggles the mind to imagine what changes Rom will bring to Ferenginar; but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ferengi of the same mindset as Quark wouldn't attempt to overthrow him, perhaps starting a Ferengi civil war. Being Ferengi the war would probably be economic rather than military; trying to undercut each other's markets, sabotaging resources, and so on. It could be interesting if the more unscrupulous Ferengi forged an alliance with the Orion Syndicate.

I'd forgotten about the Orion Syndicate. Yeah, that could get ugly. Poor Rom.

On the other hand, Nagus Rom is definitely more likely to push for Federation/Ferangi ties, his son Nog now being part of the Federation as well as some friends... together they might yet surprise those opposing him. Who knows, maybe the Ferangi will find themselves on the fast track to joining the Federation.

Of course, the ST continuity still has a largely untouched Beta Quadrant of the galaxy. The next great threat could easily be lurking there.

The maps I've googled indicate that the Gamma and Delta Quadrants aren't even half known either, so yeah, there's plenty of room to have a threat come from yet. That, and no doubt 'less powerful species' now have their shot in the upheaval. I think the real challenge will be to the Federation's ethics. The Founders practice near genetic slavery, the Federation's principles speak of the right of ever sentient to be free... yet to pursue that might destablize continued peace. The Klingons, wounded as they are, still have planets they gained, will the Federation ask they hand them back to the Cardasians?

The Breen came into the Dominion War late... will they be sitting pretty despite being on the losing side? They gained turf too...what if they disassociate themselves from the Dominion completely and refuse to budge?

Ah, exciting times

Actually, the Breen occurred to me after my earlier post. :o As they were still Dominion allies at the end of the war, I believe they would want to continue that association. The Breen have proven to be tough and aggressive opponents, and with the Dominion supporting them they might very well start filling the power vacuum left after the collapse of Cardassia. Whatever the attitude of the Founders may have become, I'm sure they would like to maintain a beachhead in the Alpha Quadrant. And I can't see the other quadrant powers being eager to confront the Breen at least until they have a chance to rebuild. Of course by then it'll be rather late. :eg:

I think ST: DS-9 is the best in the series.

I think one of the many possible aftermath storylines they could explore are the many, many underdeveloped (storyline wise) worlds that are part of the Federation. New characters from relatively new races, that sort of thing. Perhaps, a new ship out exploring another Quadrant with the idea of looking for new friends and places to explore.

I think one of the many possible aftermath storylines they could explore are the many, many underdeveloped (storyline wise) worlds that are part of the Federation. New characters from relatively new races, that sort of thing. Perhaps, a new ship out exploring another Quadrant with the idea of looking for new friends and places to explore.

I agree :thumbup:

Though many do disagree, I think DS9 was the best of the series. At least from a roleplayers view. Utopia is a wonderful thing from a philosophical point of view or a book. But for a game it is arguably the most boring. ;)

That's not a bad idea' date=' sometimes I wish they'd flesh out old races more. One of the few things I actually loved bout "Enterprise" was the treatment it gave Andorians. Then again, Shran rocked.[/quote']

That was actually the only things about the Trek that shall not be named that was good. The TOS races. I also enjoyed the Tholian show for the Tholians. I absolutely hated the inability of Paramount and the B&B idiots to make a show without ruining it with the time travel garbage.

I also think the Breen could evelove into a major threat. Also, their might be another potential enemy force on the otherside of the wormhole that was being held in check by the Founders, but now that the Founders have retreated to thier homeworld, this other power has the chance to raise up and gain in power.

I also think that all of the future tech that Voyager crew brought back with them from their adventures (like the doctor's remote holo emitter from far in the future, the super weapons and shielding that future Janeway brought back in the final episode, etc...) all of that tech could really change things up for the federation.

"We can't think of anything interesting"

"Bah, just throw some time travel in and give them some cool new super tech to solve the problem"

The fact that a computer created entity (the Doctor) had no backup copies and couldn't be run multiple times to give them enough medical help (major explosions, just turn on 5 copies of the Doctor to get triage going) was just idiotic. The Enterprise D had enough juice to run multiple full holodecks with tons of characters with full personalities that could be saved, copied and modified, but not Voyager's Doctor.

"We can't think of anything interesting"

"Bah, just throw some time travel in and give them some cool new super tech to solve the problem"

The fact that a computer created entity (the Doctor) had no backup copies and couldn't be run multiple times to give them enough medical help (major explosions, just turn on 5 copies of the Doctor to get triage going) was just idiotic. The Enterprise D had enough juice to run multiple full holodecks with tons of characters with full personalities that could be saved, copied and modified, but not Voyager's Doctor.

When B&B were directly involved in the writing/planning idiocy was the name of the game. The only times the various series started to get good was whent he idiot twins were distracted by screwing up one of the other shows.

There are a lot of odd little disconnects like the Doctor thing you mention in Trek. It's just par for the course, really. Paramount's never made any secret of the fact that its focus is "tell a good story *this week*" -- not to maintain continuity or make everything all logical. And while you might quibble with that procedure on many levels (I certainly do), they seem to make it work reasonably well. Some fans love it; others love griping about it; but they're all paying attention. ;)

I disagree. Everything was better in "TOS"! ;)

And, most importantly . . .

http://www.supermegatopia.com/gallery/gallery.php?thisLink=doomed.jpg

:eek:

I disagree. Everything was better in "TOS"! ;)

And, most importantly . . .

http://www.supermegatopia.com/gallery/gallery.php?thisLink=doomed.jpg

:eek:

Yet, you didn't Kirkify your statement. To wit:

I. Disagree. Everything. Was. Better. In. TOS!!!

:P

Note carefully class!

Lord Fyre's statement was incorrect, while Gadodel's was completely accurate!

Can you tell where Lord Fyre made his error........

:sneaky:;)

*chuckle*

I've been looking over the materials out on the net and elsewhere, and taking the suggestions/info you guys have given me as well. I kept thinking that the Federation would want at least a beachhead in the Gamma Quadrant permanently, and as borders were returned to how they were before the war, the Federation would have a foothold into the Gamma Quadrant in the form of New Bajor, the colony that was slaughtered as an 'example' by the Jemhadar. I imagine that is about to become recolonized with some good fortifications just in case.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Now that Bajor is in the Federation, New Bajor will be a Fed outpost and doubtless the base for further exploration of the Gamma Quadrant, which was curtailed during the war.

I wonder if the Prophets will get into the act, as well? After all, their wormhole extends into both quadrants, and Bajorans on the Gamma side may be of concern to them. They might even have another "chosen people" in that quadrant. There's also a chance that some of the Pa Wraiths were exiled to the Gamma Quadrant.

New Bajor might actually inspire, maybe even promote a renewed sense of spirituality on other worlds. The Klingons might embrace the trend whole-heartidly. Imagine the reunification efforts between the Vulcans and Romulans....

I wonder if the Prophets will get into the act, as well? After all, their wormhole extends into both quadrants, and Bajorans on the Gamma side may be of concern to them. They might even have another "chosen people" in that quadrant. .

Okay, I like the idea of another 'chosen people'. Thanks for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

One of the things that I can see happening in the aftermath of the Dominion

War, given the losses that all three major powers (Federation, Klingons, and

to a lesser extent, Romulans) suffered in their engagements with the Dominion

fleets, is that they would undertake a major reconstruction of their fleets to

replace their losses. This would especially be a major priority for the Federation,

considering their losses to the Borg both at Wolf 359 and at Earth (during the

abortive attempt to change Earth's history by preventing First Contact). One

thing that would help the Federation in this regard, as has been mentioned

previously in this thread, is the advanced technology from the future that was

given to Janeway by her future self, and brought back to the Alpha Quadrant

following the destruction of the Borg transwarp network that enabled Voyager

to return home.

Now, as to whether they would share some of that future tech with the Klingons,

well... that's a question for another thread.

Major Tom :dyn

While Martok might be a Klingon the Federation would feel more comfortable with than Gowron ever was, I think the fact the alliance was nearly permanently destroyed by the Dominion and showed for a fragile thing means that at least for a few decades, the Federation will be reluctant to share the Futuretech with anybody else.