Best HERO system product

Re: Best HERO system product

I don't know why I didn't think of this one before....

Watchers of the Dragon. It's an NPCs book, "Martial Arts World" book, adventure book, and much more all rolled into one volume. Probably the most mileage per page of anything ever published under the HERO Games banner. Even for someone not running a game with Martial Arts Superheroes, it does show how to build a "community" within a setting (much more than The Mystic World even tries to), regardless of the genre of the setting or the nature of the community.

I don't know why I didn't think of this one before....

Watchers of the Dragon. It's an NPCs book, "Martial Arts World" book, adventure book, and much more all rolled into one volume. Probably the most mileage per page of anything ever published under the HERO Games banner. Even for someone not running a game with Martial Arts Superheroes, it does show how to build a "community" within a setting (much more than The Mystic World even tries to), regardless of the genre of the setting or the nature of the community.

DOH! Can't believe I forgot that one. Yes, it is an excellent sourcebook. Other books I liked were Allies, Fantasy Hero Companion 1, and The Armory Volume 1 (to go really old school). By the same token, I recall Golden Age of Champions 1st edition being really, really popular when it came out.

5ER is indispensible, but may not be the 'best' Hero product.

I'd have to say Hero Designer. I love it, I do. It makes getting those ideas down so much easier, and tweaking a character, or increasing their XP, a doddle. I know it does not bring anything 'new' to the table but the sheer freedom to get on with it is as breathtaking as a freshly shorn scrotum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Evil

Oh yeah' date=' useful is always subjective. Like UMA for instance is my least used Ultimate book. In fact, I hadn't even seen most of the pages until I did a review of it.[/quote']

:D

Whereas my copy of UMA almost has the cover falling off due to use (thankfully I got two copies of it when it came out - I knew I would use it that much).

I'm a fan of Dark Champions, for the wide variety of options it allows.

Also Loved Pulp Hero for the amount of use and different potential options.

So far, everything I've picked up from the 5th Edition has been very enjoyable and pleasing to me. I've been very pleased.

Let's see.

Sentimental attachment: Anything with my name on it. My wee baby bairns. ::sniff::

Barring those, and the core rules, Hero Designer, and Digital Hero/Adventurer's Club (all highly recommeded)

Best utility player: Ultimate Martial Artist. I use this book more than any other.

Best Genre Book: Pulp Hero. Lots of good ones to select, but this is my favorite, both in terms of preferred genre and execution.

Best Setting: Hudson City, Strike Force (3e), Lands of Mystery (3e) (tie). Alll incredible stuff.

Best Monster/NPCs book: Lots of good ones to choose from. I'm going with my sentimental choice and say the original Enemies, even if it's clearly dated. CKC is probably the real winner here.

Best Adventure: Shades of Black. Dammit, I miss Allen's work.