Best HERO system product

Re: Best HERO system product

What do people think are the best HERO system products from any edition?

I personally liked Justice, Inc.

Justice, Inc. is great, although for pure usefulness the 5th Edition (revised) rulebook is hard to beat. My personal favorite Hero System book though has to be the old Justice, Inc. supplement Lands of Mystery.

(Also in the running, the 5th edition Fantasy Hero and Star Hero books - both of which provide a nearly exhaustive break down of their respective genres; and the 3rd edition Champions supplement Strike Force - which taught me more about how to run a Champions campaign than any other book I've ever read.)

For me, the "product" is a combination of H5ER + HERO DESIGNER. They are one product in my mind -- each is incomplete without the other.

For all time ENJOYMENT though, I'll have to go with HERO SYSTEM #500 -- the old slim blue rulebook. That was the vehicle for my prime years of play with the HERO System. The glory days if you will.

I haven't seen a lot of the newest work, but the best book I think they put out was Strike Force. It's hard to tell that now but it was ground breaking, had terrific ideas and rules, and was a great example of a successful campaign.

Justice Inc was a great product, though, wonderful source material. Golden Age of Heroes is the same way, both versions.

Allowing core books, 4th edition (lots of changes, made it a lot more universal than it had been before). Supplements only, Strike Force (for reasons cited above). Hero Designer, Star Hero, and Fantasy Hero 5th Ed. are all close contenders.

As tempting as it would be to say The Ultimate Vehicle, many other products have been released by Hero that surpass even what I was trying to achieve with that book.

So I'd put 5ER at the top of the heap, followed by The Turakian Age. This book surpasses Terran Empire by virtue of the more thorough geographical coverage, and the sidebar NPCs and other "extra goodies."

It's interesting that people mention the Hero System Rulebook - 4th Edition. I owned both the Hero System Rulebook and the Big Blue Book (Champions 4th Edition), and I seem to prefer the BBB.

Once I finish reading them I think I will add The Ultimate Skill and Pulp Hero.

I do like Hero Designer and agree it is a big improvement over Hero Maker.

I really liked Golden Age of Champions (both versions - although the 4th ed was superior) even if I have yet to run a World War II campaign.

What products do people think would be necessary to have a complete Hero collection (besides "all of them") for people like me considering picking up old source material?

It's interesting that people mention the Hero System Rulebook - 4th Edition. I owned both the Hero System Rulebook and the Big Blue Book (Champions 4th Edition)' date=' and I seem to prefer the BBB.[/quote']

I like the Rulesbook over the BBB for the simple fact that the majority of my gaming in 4E wasn't Champions and the extra pages were dead weight to me.

4th Edition Normals Unbound

Yeah - that was one kick butt book. I've used almost a third of those characters in my games.

The best Product... Toughie - Lands of Mystery, Strike Force, Hero Designer, Villiany Amok, and Fantasy Hero (5th) are what are in the running for me.

Fantasy Hero is the one that gets the most use, aside from HD.

Indisputably Champions: The New Millenium. Mmmm, mmmm, love me some Fuzion. ;)

From early editions, Champions II. Just about everything in that book was a welcome innovation. Completely reinvigorated my campaign. And, of course, Strikeforce. I strip-mined that book repeatedly for ideas and characters, and continue to do so today.

From 4th, well, I've worn out 3 copies of the BBB but with the infamous binding problems that wasn't all that hard! :D A close second was Ninja Hero (wait for it, you will see a theme emerge.)

For 5th, Champions was all that and a bag of chips. Gee, Mr. Allston, kin' I have yer autygraph? :D Very closely followed by Millenium City and Ninja HERO. You try following in a Champions guru's shoes!

Okay, 5th Edition and Hero Designer are the defaults. Can't really play Hero without 'em (unless you go earlier versions :) ). So not counting those, Star HERO has been my favorite supplement. That whole situation I find funny, since up until HERO 5th and the Star HERO that goes with it, I was more partial to fantasy.

And Champions the New Millenium? Why bother with that when you can get the core rules free. The setting was over Image-d and that made turned off a lot of people. I did like that they included both Fuzion and 5th Edtion stats in a couple of books though. An interesting aside but not 5th Edition HERO. Too bad the Fuzion system died a crib death.

What products do people think would be necessary to have a complete Hero collection (besides "all of them") for people like me considering picking up old source material?

Normals Unbound has already been mentioned, so I'll add the 4th Ed. Dark Champions, C.L.O.W.N., all the Adventurers Club magazines you can find, and both the Hero System Almanacs.

4th ed. Dark Champions covers various subjects regarding law and the justice [sic] system, which 5th ed DC pretty much skipped. I also found the coverage of forensics in An Eye for an Eye much better arranged, and easier to follow, than the same subject in 5th ed. DC

I suppose if I were to pick a supplement that was my favorite ... Ultimate Skill hands down absolute best thing printed for the game.

:) For you. :D

It will be my least used Ultimate book in the game. It's one of the few 5th books I feel I didn't get my money's worth.

Different strokes and all.

:) For you. :D

It will be my least used Ultimate book in the game. It's one of the few 5th books I feel I didn't get my money's worth.

Different strokes and all.

Oh yeah, useful is always subjective. Like UMA for instance is my least used Ultimate book. In fact, I hadn't even seen most of the pages until I did a review of it.