Wild Card's Hero

Susano

Re: Wild Card's Hero

Personally' date=' I'd be inclined to bump Starshine's STR a bit - I seem to recall him being described as quite powerful, even for an ace. That's based on my own vague memory, though - not on any hard facts - so take it with a grain of salt![/quote']

The problem is, I don't know if he's ever seen lifting anything in the novels. My STR stat is based off of the GURPS Wild Cards, which while written by one of the Wild Cards authors John J Miller) still may not be perfectly in sync with the character's author's vision.

On the other hand, all of these characters sheets make good starting piints four your own versions of the characters, especially since I'm betting few people are use the Wild Cards settings as-is, but a lot of people can use the individual characters in their game(s).

Side Note on JJ Flash: He tests Negative for the Wild Card, and believes he's from a world of traditional four color superheroes. Captain Trips uses that as part of his attempt to argue that his "Friends" are souls trapped inside him rather than aspects of his own personality.

Cosmic Traveler looks exactly like a comatose man that Captain Trips once tracked down. Trips believes that the Traveler's spirit now shares Trips body.

Isis Moon can't speak Korean, a fact which severely traumatizes her when she's forced to confront it. Previous to that, she'd been convinced that she was truly a separate individual from Trips.

Side Note on JJ Flash: He tests Negative for the Wild Card, and believes he's from a world of traditional four color superheroes. Captain Trips uses that as part of his attempt to argue that his "Friends" are souls trapped inside him rather than aspects of his own personality.

Cosmic Traveler looks exactly like a comatose man that Captain Trips once tracked down. Trips believes that the Traveler's spirit now shares Trips body.

Isis Moon can't speak Korean, a fact which severely traumatizes her when she's forced to confront it. Previous to that, she'd been convinced that she was truly a separate individual from Trips.

I vaguely recall the big about JJ Flash thinking he's from another world. Never knew that bit about Comsic Traveler. I clearly recall the bit about Isis not able to speak Korean and her reaction.

Oh -- all of Captain Trips's friends are named after 60's songs. Captain Trips is also a nickname for Jerry Garcia.

I vaguely recall the big about JJ Flash thinking he's from another world. Never knew that bit about Comsic Traveler. I clearly recall the bit about Isis not able to speak Korean and her reaction.

Oh -- all of Captain Trips's friends are named after 60's songs. Captain Trips is also a nickname for Jerry Garcia.

The bit with Isis comes up when Captain Trips / Isis Moon briefly becomes president of Vietnam. The ambassador from Korea shows up, and greets Isis in Korean; Isis learns, to her shock, that she can't speak "her" language. It's part of Captain Trips arc towards accepting that he may have MPD.

The bit with Isis comes up when Captain Trips / Isis Moon briefly becomes president of Vietnam. The ambassador from Korea shows up' date=' and greets Isis in Korean; Isis learns, to her shock, that she can't speak "her" language. It's part of Captain Trips arc towards accepting that he may have MPD.[/quote']

Yeah! Right! In addition, Radical reappears and Trips learns he's a jerk (IIRC), and Monster may be his unleashed Id.

Whatever happened to Trips? Does he get a "happy" ending?

I also recall Sprout calling all of his friends "Daddy" including Isis. :D And all of them like her.

Yeah! Right! In addition, Radical reappears and Trips learns he's a jerk (IIRC), and Monster may be his unleashed Id.

Whatever happened to Trips? Does he get a "happy" ending?

He survives and escapes, but I don't know what happened to him in later books. No one really seemed to get happy endings in Wild Cards. :)

I sometimes think about getting back into the series, but the relentlessly grim "lets see how we can degrade characters this time" thing killed my desire to read the books.

He survives and escapes, but I don't know what happened to him in later books. No one really seemed to get happy endings in Wild Cards. :)

I sometimes think about getting back into the series, but the relentlessly grim "lets see how we can degrade characters this time" thing killed my desire to read the books.

Well, yeah.

Again' date=' it's a shame. We did a pretty good campaign set in the Wild Cards world when only books 1&2 were out, and the early series played a big part in my world design until just the last five or six years.[/quote']

Same here. I swiped the wild card bomb over NYC for my own world -- expect it was a WWII "germ warfare" weapon that instantly activated the latent metahuman gene. Equally destructive but nowhere near as many "jokers."

IIRC, Trips finally integrated his personalities and became The Radical, permanently (with the powers of his other personalities to boot), and essentially flew off into the sunset. That was the last I remember seeing of him anyway. No word on what the heck Sprout is doing, either.

My comment on Starshine's STR was, like I say, based more on vague recollections of people's assessment of him in the books - not any hard facts - so leaving him at 40 STR isn't something I'm going to get grumpy about by any means!

IIRC' date=' Trips finally integrated his personalities and became The Radical, permanently (with the powers of his other personalities to boot), and essentially flew off into the sunset. That was the last I remember seeing of him anyway. No word on what the heck Sprout is doing, either.[/quote']

...yay...

The Captain was one of my favorite characters.

My comment on Starshine's STR was' date=' like I say, based more on vague recollections of people's assessment of him in the books - not any hard facts - so leaving him at 40 STR isn't something I'm going to get grumpy about by any means![/quote']

Also realize that 40 STR equals 12 tons. That's pretty hefty. We are used to seeing 50, 60, and so on in HERO, but in GURPS (or in a world like WCs, that uses all of the optional injury and damage rules), even a "mere" 40 STR is enough to kill people.

CAPTAIN JOHN F. X. BLACK

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 151.6 kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH Damage [3]
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
13	CON	6	12-
13	BODY	6	12-
10	INT	0	11-	PER Roll 11-
11	EGO	2	11-	ECV:  4
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
10	COM	0	11-

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	6		Phases:  4, 8, 12
6	REC	0
26	END	0
30	STUN	3		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  46

Movement:[/b]	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	2"/4"
Swimming:	2"/4"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
2	[b]Observant:[/b]  +1 PER with Sight Group

[b]Perks[/b]
6	Contact:  The Astronomer (Contact has useful Skills or resources, 
Good relationship with Contact) 13-
4	Contacts (4 points' worth)
8	Fringe Benefit:  Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Local 
Police Powers, Police Captain
1	Reputation:  tough cop (residents of Jokertown) 14-, +1/+1d6

[b]Skills[/b]
3	Bureaucratics 12-
2	CK: Jokertown 11-
2	CK: New York CIty 11-
1	Combat Driving 8-
3	Criminology 11-
5	Deduction 12-
3	Interrogation 12-
2	KS: Criminal Law And Procedure 11-
2	KS: The Law Enforcement World 11-
0	Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
2	PS: Police Officer 11-
3	Persuasion 12-
3	Shadowing 11-
5	Streetwise 13-
2	WF:  Small Arms
[b]
Total Powers & Skill Cost:  59
Total Cost:  105

50+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Distinctive Features:  Uniform and/or Badge (Easily Concealed)
15	Hunted:  New York Police Department 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
10	Psychological Limitation:  Bad Tempered (Common, Moderate)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Bully (Common, Moderate)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Greedy (Common, Moderate)
5	Reputation:  tough cop, 8-
15	Social Limitation:  Secret ID (agent of the Astronomer) (Frequently, 
Major)
20	Social Limitation:  Subject To Orders (Very Frequently, Major)
[b]140	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: John Black was a former member of the Mason's and a crony of the Astronomer's. Captain of the Jokertown Precinct, he wielded a fair amount of power, and was a useful cog in the Astronomer's terror machine. He was a tough cop, but greedy, which is why he worked with the Astronomer. Captain Black was killed soon after the Astronomer's organization was destroyed by Fortunato.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Ta-da! One corrupt police officer, who can’t use that? John Black is perfect for Dark Champions games, or a Champions game in which the local police have a turncoat reporting to a local supervillain (such as VIPER). Note he has 35 points still to spend. You could give him various Contacts and the like to fill him out.

(John F. X. Black created by ???, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

BLUDGEON

(Robert Sievers)

38	STR	46	17-	Lift 4850.3 kg; 7 1/2d6 HTH Damage [8]
9	DEX	-3	11-	OCV:  3/DCV:  3
20	CON	20	13-
20	BODY	20	13-
8	INT	-2	11-	PER Roll 11-
10	EGO	0	11-	ECV:  3
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
6	COM	-2	10-

12	PD	2		Total:  12 PD (3 rPD)
9	ED	2		Total:  9 ED (3 rED)
3	SPD	11		Phases:  4, 8, 12
12	REC	0
40	END	0
49	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  99

Leaping:	7"/14"

8	[b]Massive Right Fist:[/b]  HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); 
Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Only When Attacking With His Right 
Hand (-1/4)
9	[b]Thick Skin:[/b]  Armor (3 PD/3 ED)
10	[b]Resistance To Injury:[/b]  Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%; 
STUN Only (-1/2)
2	[b]Great Size:[/b]  Knockback Resistance -1"

[b]Skills[/b]
5	[b]Brawling Skill:[/b]  +1 with HTH Combat
6	[b]Brawling Skill:[/b]  +2 with Block, Haymaker, Punch

2	CK: Jokertown 11-
2	CK: New York City 11-
3	Interrogation 12-
1	KS: Mafia 8-
1	KS: Shadow Fist Society 8-
3	Streetwise 12-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  52
Total Cost:  151

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Distinctive Features:  Constant Use Of Foul Language (Easily 
Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used 
Senses)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
15	Psychological Limitation:  Bad Tempered, Prone To Fits Of Rage 
(Common, Strong)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Bully, Likes To Hurt Others (Common, 
Moderate)
10	Reputation:  violent thug, 11-
15	Social Limitation:  Joker (Very Frequently, Minor)
21	[b]Experience Points
151	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: Bludgeon is huge, standing about 7' tall and weighing 310 pounds. His right arm and hand is a malformed mass of muscle and bone, described as being "the size and color of a smoked Virginia ham." Bludgeon's face is scared and pockmarked, and he has one blue eye and one red one. His scalp is covered with boils and sores. Bludgeon's "ace" power is immense physical strength and to be able to absorb tremendous punishment. As noted in his Psychological Limitations, Bludgeon is aggressive, violent, and brutal. He is the perfect thug, especially since he's not very bright, either.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: At 151 points, Bludgeon is a bit low for a supers game, but he does have a 38 STR and does 9 1/d6 when he hits someone. Beef up his DEX (to 15 or so) and give him a flat +3 with HTH and I think he’ll be far more viable. SPD 4 is an added bonus.

(Bludgeon created by George R. R. Martin, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

(PS: Bludgeon is the first GURPS Wild Cards to Hero conversion I ever did.)

CARNIFEX

(William "Billy" Ray)

25	STR	15	14-	Lift 800 kg; 5d6 HTH Damage [2]
34	DEX	72	16-	OCV:  11/DCV:  11
20	CON	20	13-
20	BODY	20	13-
12	INT	2	11-	PER Roll 14-
18	EGO	16	13-	ECV:  6
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
8	COM	-1	11-

12	PD	7		Total:  12 PD (0 rPD)
10	ED	6		Total:  10 ED (0 rED)
6	SPD	16		Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
10	REC	2
40	END	0
43	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  185

Movement:[/b]	Running:	10"/20"
Leaping:	5"/10"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills
Martial Arts:[/b]  [i]Freeform Mayhem[/i]
[b]Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage[/b]
4	Basic Strike	+0	+2	7d6 Strike
4	Block	+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Dodge	--	+5	Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4	Counterstrike	+2	+2	7d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
4	Fast Strike	+2	+0	7d6 Strike
3	Legsweep	+2	-1	6d6 Strike, Target Falls
5	Offensive Strike	-2	+1	9d6 Strike

40	[b]Ace Toughness:[/b]  Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; STUN 
Only (-1/2) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; STUN 
Only (-1/2)
8	[b]Increased Speed:[/b]  Running +4" (10" total), END 1
7	[b]Rapid Healing:[/b]  Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), 
Persistent (+1/2); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), 
Self Only (-1/2)
9	[b]Sharp Senses:[/b]  +3 PER with all Sense Groups

[b]Perks[/b]
3	Fringe Benefit:  Federal/National Police Powers

[b]Talents[/b]
9	Coordinated Limbs:  Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

[b]Skills[/b]
10	+2 with HTH Combat

3	Breakfall 16-
7	Deduction 13-
3	Interrogation 13-
5	KS: Football 14-
3	KS: Law 12-
2	PS: Department of Justice Agent 11-
3	PS: Football Player 16-
5	Shadowing 12-
3	Stealth 16-
3	Streetwise 13-
9	Tactics 14-
2	WF:  Small Arms

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  162
Total Cost:  347

200+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Distinctive Features:  mis-matched facial features (Concealable; \
Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
25	Enraged:  Berserk in combat (Very Common), go 8-, recover 14-
20	Hunted:  United States Justice Department 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, 
Watching)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Impulsive and Reckless, Tends To Act 
Without Thinking (Common, Strong)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Lecherousness, a "Skirt Chaser" (Common, 
Moderate)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Neatness Freak (Common, Moderate)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident, Likes To Fight Tough, 
Powerful Foes (Common, Strong)
15	Reputation:  powerful and dangerous government Ace, 14-
20	Social Limitation:  Subject To Orders (Very Frequently, Major)
7	[b]Executioner Bonus
347	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: Carnifex is of average height, standing 5'10" and weighing about 165 lbs. His face is a little off; the eyes aren't level, his jaw is canted, there is too much nose, and his chin is lacking a bit. His costume consists of a white body suit with a black hood, gloves, and boots. Carnifex's Ace powers include increased strength, speed, and the ability to regenerate from massive amounts of damage. Carnifex is also a master of hand to hand combat; although he hasn't studied any formal martial art, he just knows what move to make when he needs to make it. Thus, Carnifex's martial maneuvers function both as punches and kicks.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Carnifex is 3 points away from being a 350-point “starting” super. His attacks are a bit low, so you could drop his DEX from 34 to 30 (or even 26) and pour the points into Damage Classes and more HTH Levels. In any event, he’s a very effective and capable fighter and should give any PC martial artist pause.

(Carnifex created by John J Miller, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

CORDELIA CHAISSON

8	STR	-2	11-	Lift 75.8 kg; 1 1/2d6 HTH Damage [1]
13	DEX	9	12-	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
13	CON	6	12-
11	BODY	2	11-
15	INT	5	12-	PER Roll 12-
15	EGO	10	12-	ECV:  5
10	PRE	0	11-	PRE Attack:  2d6
14	COM	2	12-

2	PD	0		Total:  2 PD (0 rPD)
2	ED	-1		Total:  2 ED (0 rED)
2	SPD	0		Phases:  6, 12
5	REC	0
26	END	0
22	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  31

Leaping:	1"/2"

300	[b]Cardiac And Respiratory Manipulation:[/b]  Multipower, 300-point reserve
20u	1)  [b]System Shutdown:[/b]  RKA 4d6, +1 Increased STUN 
Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible to 
Sight Group (+1/2), Indirect (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), NND 
(defense is Power Defense, not needing to breathe, or not having a 
heart; +1), Does BODY (+1); Limited Range (20"; -1/4), 
No Knockback (-1/4), END 14
7u	2)  [b]System Restart:[/b]  Healing BODY 9d6, Invisible to Sight 
Group (+1/2); Does Not Work On Some Damage (not versus actual 
wounds, only versus system shock or similar damage; -1/2), Others 
Only (-1/2), END 13

30	Endurance Reserve  (150 END, 15 REC)
[b]Notes:[/b]  Feeds Multipower

[b]Skills[/b]
8	+4 System Shutdown

3	Bureaucratics 11-
2	CK: New York City 11-
7	Conversation 13-
2	KS: Cable TV Industry 11-
3	KS: Rock Music 12-
4	Language:  Cajun French (idiomatic)
3	Persuasion 11-
2	PS: TV Producer 11-
3	Seduction 11-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  394
Total Cost:  425

200+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Distinctive Features:  Pronounced Cajun Accent (Concealable; Noticed 
and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Psychological Limitation:  Stubborn (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Will Only Use Power In Dire Emergencies 
(Uncommon, Total)
165	[b]Experience Points
425	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: Cordelia is the young niece of "Sewer" Jack Robinson. She is tall and slim, standing 5'7" and weighing 115 lbs. She has black hair, dark eyes, and a pronounced Cajun accent. Her ace power is the ability to stop her target's respiratory and cardiac systems, causing an almost instant (and painful) death. She can also use her power to revive someone who is suffering from shock or similar effects, but she cannot heal actual wounds.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Cordelia is typical of many Wild Cards characters who have a single power, but a potent one. In addition, her power ends up being very expensive in Hero, totaling 300 Active Points. It could been even more expensive, since (IIRC) she only has to see someone to affect them, meaning the power might have Line of Sight and Area of Effect: Hex (Accurate). But do you really want that in your game? Fortunately, Cordelia’s Psychological Limitations mean she won’t use her power willy-nilly, and thus won’t leave a trail of corpses where ever she goes.

(Cordelia Chaisson created by Edward Bryant and Leanne C Harper, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

On Carnifex/Billy Ray...

I'd also be inclined to give him Rapid Attack, Defensive Manuveur (sp?) and Two Weapon Combat (Barehanded). The guy is commonly described as a whirling dervish in combat who can take on large numbers of opponents with ease. Although his DCV and SPD cover that too I suppose :)

Also a Martial Killing Attack wouldn't be out of place.

My 2 bits.

On Carnifex/Billy Ray...

I'd also be inclined to give him Rapid Attack, Defensive Manuveur (sp?) and Two Weapon Combat (Barehanded). The guy is commonly described as a whirling dervish in combat who can take on large numbers of opponents with ease. Although his DCV and SPD cover that too I suppose :)

Also a Martial Killing Attack wouldn't be out of place.

My 2 bits.

I'll add them as options per your post, if that's okay with you. As I've said before this is all material I did years ago via Hero 4th Edition and am now converting to 5th via Hero Designer.

I'll add them as options per your post' date=' if that's okay with you. As I've said before this is all material I did years ago via Hero 4th Edition and am now converting to 5th via Hero Designer.[/quote']

Yeah mate, no probs with adding anything I say about any of this stuff. Another thing to consider adding is making Carnifex's defense resistant except they always let through a minimum of 1 BOD. He's taken serious amounts of physical damage from guns and whatnot and kept going at points in the novels.

It is? :confused: I will? :nonp:

Indeed on both accounts. I'm a huge fan of the series and ran a couple games of it years ago. One using the GURPS book and in later years used Hero, but it was my own universe with different characters. Seeing all the characters being converted makes me itchy for running the original campaign again. Great stuff!

Same here. I swiped the wild card bomb over NYC for my own world -- expect it was a WWII "germ warfare" weapon that instantly activated the latent metahuman gene. Equally destructive but nowhere near as many "jokers."

Sounds interesting.

My old Wild Cards world had Supers going back to Atlantis (of course) and before, mostly falling into the general humanoid types of mythology and folk tales (lots of back story borrowed from Farmer's Blown). WWII brought Nazi experiments in creating Super-Soldiers, with the Wild Card bomb a weapon that was intended to turn civilians behind the lines into uncontrollable monsters. PC intervention changed the effect of the virus, so that it instead left the victims minds and memories mostly intact. "Aces" were still able to pass for human; more common "Jokers" couldn't, but both had roughly the same chance at exceptional powers.