Wild Card's Hero

Susano

Wild Cards... does anyone remember Wild Cards?

Back when shared universe anthologies were all the rage (let's see, there was Thieves World, Heroes in Hell, Man-Kizin Wars, Wild Cards, and...?), Geroge RR Martin decided to turn his Superworld campaign into a series of stories, ending up with Wild Cards. The series was fairly successful (and popular), but like any comic universe ended up collapsing under its own weight. It also suffered from an excessive dose of grittiness, and was firmly in the Iron Age/Dark Champions camp, as opposed to anything 4-color.

Way back in the dawn of time, when I answered the help desk phone at Congressional Quarterly, I had a lot of empty time on my hands, so I started converting characters from GURPS Wild Cards to Hero. I then converted them all to 5th Edition, and now am running them through Hero Designer. I intend to post the results in this thread.

There will be something like 113 character sheets in this thread, ranging from ~40-point normals to some 600+ out-and-out superheroes. You'll find police officers, lawyers, businessmen, crime bosses, vigilantes, and paranormally-powered humans. Even if you don't care for the Wild Card's world, I'm pretty sure you can use many of the characters as set dress for your own world (who can't use some pre-made cops, complete with backstory? or a crime boss and his gang? or some low-point (200-300 point) supers?). Captain Trips, for example, is roughly 5 supers in one, three of which should fit into most any setting with ease (just edit the origins a bit).

The list (which I hope to start posting tonight and add to slowly is as follows:

Acacia

Akabal, Esteban

Andrieux, Blaise

Aquarius - Dolphin

Aquarius

Astronomer

Bagabond

Barnett, Leo

Black Eagle

Black, John

Blarney

Bludgeon

Cameo

Captain Trips

Carnifex

Chaisson, Cordelia

Chickenhawk

Chrysalis

Cocamama

Cosmic Traveler

Curari

Cyclone

Deadhead

Decathlon

Demise

Desmond, Xavier

Digger Downs

Doctor Tachyon

Dutton, Charles

El Emisario Negro

Elephant Girl - Elephant

Elephant Girl

Ellis, Angela

Envoy

Ezili-je-Rouge

Fadeout

Fantasy

Father Squid

Finn, Bradly

Fionne MacCoul

Fortunato

Gambione, Rosa

Gimli

Golden Boy

Guy Fawlkes

Harlem Hammer

Herne

Howler

Hunapu

Jayewardene, JC

Jube the Walrus

Judas

Jumping Jack Flash

Kahina

Kant, Harvey

Kelly, Kate

Kid Dinosaur

Kien Phuc

Kookaburra

Kretek

Lady Black

Lazy Dragon

Linetap

Loophole

Mackie Messer

Missing Link

Modular Man

Moonchild

Murga-Muggai, The - Spider form

Murga-Muggai, The

Nur al-Allah

Oddity

Ombassa, Naia

Peregrine

Popinjay

Primrose

Psiguard

Puppetman

Quasiman

Quinn the Eskimo

Rangda

Satire

Sayyid

Sewer Jack - Alligator

Sewer Jack

Sleeper

Starshine

Steele, George

Stewart, David - Koala

Stewart, David

Strauss, Jeremiah

Sui Mai

Taroque

Telephoto

Ti Malice

Titania

Titania's Fairies

Travnicek, Doctor

Troll

Turtle

Turtle's Shell

Van der Meere, Jeffery

Warlock

Water Lilly

Wayang

Whisperer

Worchester, Hiram

Wraith

Wyrm

Wyungare

Xbalanque

Yellowman

Yeoman

Enjoy.

Re: Wild Card's Hero

I will point out that while I'm trying to remain true to my original conversions, in some cases I am editing the powers via HD to make them work as I recall them working, to make them work better (or with less questions on the part of the reader), or to make them match powers listed in 5th Edition sources (specifically the USPDB). I'm also considering applying certain DC packages to some characters (such as the police officer package to all of the police characters, and the soldier package to several (ex-)military characters.

Thoughts?

Actually, several characters are on hold until I can sit down with the right sourcebooks. Sewerjack (and Elephant Girl), for example will require the HSB so I can get the correct stats (or, check the ones I have versus the published version).

I've got all the Wild Cards novels kicking around my place somewhere' date=' as well as GURPS Wild Cards - though I imagine you won't need help, I'll happily do what I can if you end up with questions about the characters.[/quote']

About the only thing I can think of is people may want to suggestion better ways to express powers, or additional "slots" for a character's power. Turtle, for example, as TK, and that's it, because the GURPS character had TK, and that was it. My version has a few Advantages and Limitations on it to make it work like Turtle's TK (that I can recall), but that's his only power.

I'd suggest that you ignore the GURPS stats and go back to the source material - focus on adapting the characters conceptually rather than converting the GURPS writeups...

Too late. I haven't owned the books in years. Also, GURPS Wild Cards was written by one of the original WC authors, so I'd expect it to have some accuracy.

I will point out that while I'm trying to remain true to my original conversions, in some cases I am editing the powers via HD to make them work as I recall them working, to make them work better (or with less questions on the part of the reader), or to make them match powers listed in 5th Edition sources (specifically the USPDB). I'm also considering applying certain DC packages to some characters (such as the police officer package to all of the police characters, and the soldier package to several (ex-)military characters.

Thoughts?

I'm all for using the DC packages - some characters practically shout that they needs them (Yeoman for one).

As far as Sewer Jack and Elephant Girl go, I wouldn't worry about matching the stats for the HSB. They don't actually turn into the animals - they turn into the relevant person's concept of the animal.

I'm all for using the DC packages - some characters practically shout that they needs them (Yeoman for one).

As far as Sewer Jack and Elephant Girl go, I wouldn't worry about matching the stats for the HSB. They don't actually turn into the animals - they turn into the relevant person's concept of the animal.

Yeah, but it always helps to have a reference.

Yep, I've got all the books, well, up to #15 I think. Even with Zelazney now dead, it's a good series. Study list, study list, hmmm. I'm looking for the shape changer who became Popinjay's partner in the detective agency. Forget his name... started as a nightclub act, spent years as a King Kong wannabee.

And the Charles Bronson look alike 'The Mechanic'? Worked the spy side of life. Used his own blood and nerves to bond to machinery. Usually had to lop off bits of his regenerating body to do it too... You know, nobody ever said that the writers wrote 'nice' stories.

Yep' date=' I've got all the books, well, up to #15 I think. Even with Zelazney now dead, it's a good series. Study list, study list, hmmm. I'm looking for the shape changer who became Popinjay's partner in the detective agency. Forget his name... started as a nightclub act, spent years as a King Kong wannabee.[/quote']

Strauss, Jeremiah

I was going to do Demise Deathstare as a BODY Drain' date=' since if you broke contact, you'd recovery over a period of hours (as opposed to days and weeks as from an RKA). Any opinions on that?[/quote']

The issues with it being a BODY drain is that the books also indicate that Demise's Deathstare is also incredibly painful, indicating STUN damage to me or at least some form of Entangle that doesn't take damage from attacks etc (so painful they can't move).

Could you just whack a limitation on the RKA that the BODY recovers at REC/day or hour?

The issues with it being a BODY drain is that the books also indicate that Demise's Deathstare is also incredibly painful, indicating STUN damage to me or at least some form of Entangle that doesn't take damage from attacks etc (so painful they can't move).

Could you just whack a limitation on the RKA that the BODY recovers at REC/day or hour?

Hmm... I could do that.

I'm looking forward to some of the low-powered write-ups. Seems like everyone in the Champions Universe who isn't a teenager runs 450+ points these days. Back in the day, 250 points was quite respectable. I'm running a game where low-powered supers are much more common than standard-powered and everyone has the same origin, write-ups from Wild Cards should be easy to adapt.

Thanks, Susano, cool project!

BLAISE JEANNOT ANDRIEUX

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
8	STR	-2	11-	Lift 75.8 kg; 1 1/2d6 HTH Damage [2]
13	DEX	9	12-	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
10	CON	0	11-
9	BODY	-2	11-
13	INT	3	12-	PER Roll 12-
18	EGO	16	13-	ECV:  6
10	PRE	0	11-	PRE Attack:  2d6
10	COM	0	11-

3	PD	1		Total:  3 PD (0 rPD)
3	ED	1		Total:  3 ED (0 rED)
2	SPD	0		Phases:  6, 12
4	REC	0
20	END	0
18	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  26

Movement:[/b]	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	1"/2"
Swimming:	2"/4"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
105	Takisian Mind Control:  Mind Control 12d6 (Human class of minds), 
Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)

[b]Martial Art:[/b]  [i]Karate[/i]
[b]Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage[/b]
4	Block	+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Dodge	--	+5	Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4	Punch/Snap Kick	+0	+2	3 1/2d6 Strike
5	Side/Spin Kick	-2	+1	5 1/2d6 Strike

[b]Skills:[/b]
1	CK: New York City 8-
0	CK: Paris 8-
1	KS: Karate 8-
5	Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
0	Language:  French (idiomatic; literate)
2	Language:  German (fluent conversation)
2	MIF (Chordophones) 11-
1	Streetwise 8-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  134
Total Cost:  160

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Psychological Limitation:  Bully; Likes To See Others Dance To His Will 	(Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Impulsive; Tends To Act Without Thinking 
(Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident Of Mind Control Abilities (Very 
Common, Moderate)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Stubborn; Spoiled Rotten (Common, Strong)
5	Social Limitation:  Youth (he's only 13) (Occasionally, Minor)
20	[b]Experience
160	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: Blaise is Dr. Tachyon's grandson. Blaise's mother was Gisele Bacourt, who was Tachyon's illegitimate daughter. When Tachyon discovered Blaise's existence during the WHO-sponsored tour of 1987, he brought the boy back to New York to live with him. Unfortunately, Tachyon is a terrible father, and tends to spoil Blaise terribly... or rage at him for acting improperly. Blaise himself is rapidly growing up to be an arrogant and cruel bully who enjoys using his mind control powers to make people around him act like total fools. Eventually, Blaise will go "wild," running free on the streets of New York and turn on his grandfather. For more details read Dr. Tachyon's character sheet.

This write-up is for the thirteen year-old version of Blaise. He stands 5'5" and weighs 130 lbs, with black-purple eyes and deep red hair.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Blaise makes a good low-level opponent for street-level games. Increase his physical stats (and age) and he becomes a young gang leader. Add in the proper skills (such as Streetwise and WFs), Mental Defense, and Skill Levels with his Mind Control, and he’ll end around 200 points.

(Blaise Jeannot Andrieux created by Melinda Snodgrass, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

THE ASTRONOMER

3/18	STR	-7	10-/13-	Lift 37.9 kg/303.1 kg; 1/2d6/3 1/2d6 HTH 
			Damage [1/2]
10	DEX	0	11-	OCV:  3/DCV:  3
8	CON	-4	11-
8/23	BODY	-4	11-/14-
30	INT	20	15-	PER Roll 16-
36	EGO	52	16-	ECV:  12
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
8	COM	-1	11-

2/5	PD	1		Total:  2/5 PD (0 rPD)
2	ED	0		Total:  2 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	10		Phases:  4, 8, 12
3/6	REC	0
16/216	END	0
14/37	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  77

330	[b]Telepathic/Telekinetic Powers:[/b]  Variable Power Pool, 150 base + 180 
control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1), No 
Skill Roll Required (+1); Limited Class Of Powers Available (telepathic/
telekinetic effects; -1/4)

55	[b]Life Energy Drain:[/b]  +200 END; Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to 
Activate, -1 1/2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; 
living human being; -1 1/2) plus +15 STR; Linked (END; +1 STR 
per 7 END; -1/2) plus +15 BODY; Linked (END; +1 BODY 
per 5 END; -1/2)	1
18	[b]Powerful Will:[/b]  Mental Defense (20 points total), Hardened (+1/4)
3	[b]Sharp Senses:[/b]  +1 PER with all Sense Groups

[b]Perks[/b]
10	Money:  Wealthy

[b]Talents[/b]
5	Eidetic Memory

[b]Skills[/b]
16	+2 with All Combat
16	+4 with Telepathic/Telekinetic Powers

7	Interrogation 15-
3	KS: Egyptian Freemasons 15-
3	KS: Occultism 15-
3	Oratory 13-
3	Persuasion 13-
3	Linguist
2	1)  Language:  Cuneiform (fluent conversation; literate)
1	2)  Language:  Egyptian, Ancient (basic conversation; literate)
0	3)  Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
3	4)  Language:  French (idiomatic)
3	5)  Language:  German (idiomatic)
3	6)  Language:  Greek (Koine) (idiomatic)
3	7)  Language:  Latin (idiomatic)
3	Scientist
2	1)  SS:  Astronomy 15-
2	2)  SS:  Mathematics 15-
2	3)  SS:  Physics 15-
2	4)  SS:  Psychology 15-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  501
Total Cost:  578

200+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Hunted:  Fortunato 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
10	Physical Limitation:  Lame, Must Use A Wheelchair (sometimes) 
(Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
10	Physical Limitation:  Poor Vision (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Bad Tempered (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Bloodlust (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Megalomania (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Sadistic (Common, Strong)
10	Reputation:  evil leader of the Masons, 8- (Extreme)
278	[b]Experience
578	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: The Astronomer is (was) one of the most evil beings to exist in the Wild Cards universe. He is an old man (born in 1925), who stands 5'5" and weighs all of 110 lbs. He has thinning white hair, wears glasses, and is best described as "mole-like." He is usually confined to a wheelchair, although the proper use of his powers can allow him to bypass that problem. The Astronomer practices a horrific form of death magic, gaining immense energy through the ritualistic slaying of his victims (usually young women). Once the ritual is completed, The Astronomer is blessed with an huge energy reserve allowing him the utilize the following powers: astral projection, clairsentience, minor precognition, mind control, the ability to selectively erase memories, flight, invisibility to visual and mental senses, ego attacks, hand killing attacks, suppression versus any wild card power, force fields and minor force walls, telepathy, and an assortment of energy blasts. The Astronomer is a very dangerous opponent.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Not meant for 4-color games, the Astronomer is perfect for superhero games that dabble in dark and/or horrific themes. For a real twist, switch his telepathic/telekinetic powers for magical abilities. Most of his powers would stay the same, but you might want to add a few Limitations (Extra Time, Gestures, Incantations) to his VPP to simulate casting spells. In fact, he could be used as a Fantasy Hero character if you do this. Another suggestion would be to replace his extra END with an END Reserve. The REC for the Reserve would require human sacrifice to activate.

(The Astronomer created by Lewis Shiner, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

BAGABOND

(Suzanne Melotti)

8	STR	-2	11-	Lift 75.8 kg; 1 1/2d6 HTH Damage
12	DEX	6	11-	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
10	CON	0	11-
10	BODY	0	11-
10	INT	0	11-	PER Roll 11-
15	EGO	10	12-	ECV:  5
10	PRE	0	11-	PRE Attack:  2d6
10	COM	0	11-

2	PD	0		Total:  2 PD (0 rPD)
2	ED	0		Total:  2 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	8		Phases:  4, 8, 12
4	REC	0
20	END	0
19	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  22

Leaping:	1"/2"

27	[b]Animal Control:[/b]  Elemental Control, 82-point powers, all slots 
Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2)
20	1)  [b]Animal Sight: [/b] Clairsentience (Sight, Hearing And Smell/Taste 
Groups), x16 Range (4,800"), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); 
Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power 
(0 DCV; -1), Only Through The Senses Of Others (animals; -1/2)
43	2)  [b]Animal Control:[/b]  Mind Control 12d6 (Animal class of minds), 
Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Concentration 
(0 DCV; -1/2)
33	3)  [b]Animal Locate:[/b]  Mind Scan 12d6 (Animal class of minds), Reduced 
Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2)
33	4)  Animal Communication:  Telepathy 12d6 (Animal class of 
minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Concentration 
(0 DCV; -1/2)

20	[b]Animal Communication:[/b]  Mind Link , Animal class of minds, Specific 
Group of Minds (any animal), No LOS Needed
Notes:  Usually maintained with "the Black"
67	[b]Calling Animals:[/b]  Summon 128 75-point animals, Expanded Class of 
Beings (any small animal; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), 
Slavishly Devoted (+1); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned 
Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

[b]Perks[/b]
20	Followers:  "The Black", a very large black cat, and a ginger female cat

[b]Talents[/b]
33	[b]Animal Sight:[/b]  Danger Sense (general area, any danger, Function as a 
Sense); Requires Animals To Be In The Area (-1/4) 15-

[b]Skills[/b]
12	+4 with Animal Control Elemental Control

3	CK: New York City 12-
6	KS: Scrounging 15-
9	Shadowing 14-
9	Stealth 14-
3	Streetwise 11-
6	Survival (Urban) 13-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  344
Total Cost:  366

200+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Distinctive Features:  Homeless (poor hygiene and dress) 
(Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable 
By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures (other 
homeless))
10	Money:  Destitute
20	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Psychological Limitation:  Shy, Avoids Almost All Human Contac 
(Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Very Protective Of "Her" Animals (Common, 
Strong)
96	[b]Experience Points
366	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Description: Bagabond is a small woman, standing 5'3" and weighing 100 lbs, with long dark brown hair. Currently, she is a bag lady, having nearly been driven mad by the sensation of suddenly receiving the sensory impressions of the millions of animals around her. She dresses in cast off clothing, is dirty, smells bad and lives in the streets. She is almost always accompanied by two cats, a large black male and a smaller ginger female.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: For those wishing a somewhat realistic look to their supers game, Bagabond would fit right in. She also strikes me as the sort of character you’d find in a Neil Gamien story. Her Mind Control might be even more impressive than what is listed -- it might have an Area of Effect. Bababond might also benefit from the Scrounging rules in Post-Apocalyptic Hero.

(Bagabond created by Leanne C Harper, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

REVEREND LEO BARNETT

12	STR	2	11-	Lift 132 kg; 2d6 HTH Damage [2]
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
13	CON	6	12-
12	BODY	4	11-
20	INT	10	13-	PER Roll 13-
23	EGO	32	14-	ECV:  8
18	PRE	8	13-	PRE Attack:  3 1/2d6
18	COM	4	13-

3	PD	1		Total:  3 PD (0 rPD)
3	ED	0		Total:  3 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	6		Phases:  4, 8, 12
5	REC	0
26	END	0
25	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  85

Leaping:	2"/4"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills
Perks[/b]
5	Contact:  Colonel Fincastle (his very wealthy father) (Contact has 
significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, 
Good relationship with Contact) 11-
4	Fringe Benefit:  Priest, Right to Marry:  Can perform the marriage 
ceremony
10	Money:  Wealthy

[b]Skills[/b]
3	Acting 13-
3	Bureaucratics 13-
5	High Society 14-
4	KS: Politics 14-
3	KS: Psychology and Crowd Manipulation 13-
3	KS: Theology 13-
0	Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
13	Oratory 18-
13	Persuasion 18-
2	PS: TV Evangelist 11-
1	Seduction 8-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  69
Total Cost:  154

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code Versus Killing ((personally, will not kill) 
(Common, Total)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Fanatical Opposition To The Wild Card And 
It's Victims (Common, Total)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Protective Of Innocents (even Jokers) 
(Common, Strong)
15	Reputation:  anti-Joker priest, 14-
9	[b]Experience Points
154	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Designers Notes: Barnett is a tall, handsome man with blond hair, blue eyes and an excellent physical build. He stands 6' and weighs 170 lbs. A popular and well known TV evangelist, he truly believes that the Wild Card virus is the tool of the Devil. He is disgusted by jokers and feels that their jokerdom is an expression of their sins. On the other hand, he does try and feel compassion for the jokers themselves, a sort of "hate the sin, but love the sinner" attitude. Eventually, he becomes President (in the Card Sharks books) and his ambition and disgust has grown to genocidal proportions.

Campaign Use and Designer’s Notes: Every campaign can use an evangelist, so all you need to do is edit Leo’s Psychological Limitations and you’re all set. You could drop him into Fantasy Hero, Pulp Hero, and Dark Champions settings with ease.

(Leo Barnett created by Arthur Byron Cover, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)