[Character] Paragon

JmOz

Ok, working on the first of 7 characters, this character started off as a Flying Brick, I'm still working on some details, but I am having a hang up on skills, Personality wise I want this character to be a college student, naieve novice hero, with a very white and black outlook (good is good, etc)

I am having trouble figuring out what to have the major be, right now I am leaning towards Social work , but not glued to the idea. Also powers/characteristics took a lot of this characters starting points, so...

here is the rough draft, please tear it apart

Paragon

Player:

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

23 DEX 39

30 CON 40

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

10/25 PD 0

10/25 ED 4

5 SPD 17

16 REC 0

60 END 0

55 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 164

Cost Power

45 Armor (15 PD/15 ED)

25 Flight 10", x4 Noncombat

9 +3 PER with all Sense Groups

1 LS (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn)

Powers Cost: 80

Cost Skill

1 AK: Homeland 8-

1 Acting 8-

1 Climbing 8-

1 Combat Driving 8-

1 Concealment 8-

1 Conversation 8-

1 Deduction 8-

3 KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) 12-

2 KS: Student 11-

1 KS 8-

4 Language (idiomatic)

2 PS 11-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

1 Shadowing 8-

1 Stealth 8-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

1 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 25

Total Character Cost: 269

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Psych. Lim.: Novice Hero (Very Common, Strong)

20 Psych. Lim.: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

10 Psych. Lim.: Black & white world view (Common, Moderate)

15 Soc. Lim.: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

15 DNPC: Significant Other 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Hunted: 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 175

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background: Not sure yet, probably some kind of accident for the origin event, background is that Paragon lived a fairly suburban life style, and is away from home for the first time (as a college freshman) when he got his powers

Personality, as above, with a good sense of humor, he realises that people view him as quaint to naieve, but that does not change right from wrong.

Appearence, blond hair, blue eyes, tall, easy smile, his costume is going to be white with a red or blue cape...

Powers/Tacktics, flying brick, tends to favor a frontal style when talking does not work

quote: But...that's not right

Re: [Character] Paragon

How about a Math major? 'Math never lies!' sorta of outlook. Or 'Math is the the language of God' sorta outlook. If things don't add up, there's a problem; frame of mind. If he's naive, maybe it's because he just socially aloof. Maybe he doesn't realize that often times there's a huge gray area in terms of ethics or morality-and this personality trait might come from him not being a very good listener. Maybe he's good with theory, but not practice. His idealism is noble, but not always practical.

I like what Gadodel said but would alter it slightly. How about a Philosophy major? I think it would allow you to expand upon his naive outlook while roleplaying.

Paragon - Well, that just doesn't make sense...it's not logical!

Older more experience hero - Kid, sometime things just don't happen they way you expect.

Paragon - ...I'm not a kid.

I'm thinking for the campeign to actualy try to get it to skate a Dark Champions (with powers)/Champions motif, so that one session will be more DCish, while the next could be more 4 color, so Jason what does that mean you ask?

Basicaly I am revising Paragon here to not include Flight, but have Leaping instead... Nothing really fasinating but...

OK, current build, tell me what you think and feel to tear apart

Paragon

Player:

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

23 DEX 39

30 CON 40

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

10/25 PD 0

10/25 ED 4

5 SPD 17

16 REC 0

60 END 0

55 STUN 0

10" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 164

Cost Power

45 Armor (15 PD/15 ED)

13 Strong Legs: Multipower, 13-point reserve

1u 1) Leaping 0" (10" forward, 5" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (10 Active Points)

1u 2) Running +4" (10" total), x4 Noncombat (13 Active Points)

8 LS (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)

Powers Cost: 77

Cost Skill

1 Acting 8-

1 Climbing 8-

1 Combat Driving 8-

1 Computer Programming 8-

1 Concealment 8-

1 Conversation 8-

1 Deduction 8-

3 KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) 12-

1 KS: History 8-

1 KS: Philosophy 8-

2 KS: Sports 11-

4 Language: English (idiomatic)

1 Language: German (basic conversation)

2 PS: Student 11-

1 PS: Teacher 8-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

3 Seduction 12-

1 Shadowing 8-

1 Stealth 8-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 Teamwork 14-

Skills Cost: 34

Total Character Cost: 275

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Psych. Lim.: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

15 DNPC: Significant Other 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

20 Hunted: 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

The world needs its heroes, its shinning examples. Are you one? that was the question that changed my life. I was struggling through a 14th century copy of Homers the Iliad, I didn't even know our library had such a text, when I found that question written in gold ink at the bottom of the page. I was stunned how could anyone deface such a priceless text, but the question drew my mind. I could not deny they world needed positive examples...NO I thought it need more than mere examples it needed a Paragon.

I was enveloped in a golden light when my vision cleared I was transformed. I found had strength beyond mortals, I crushed a solid oak desk just trying to stand. the splintered wood didn't even dimple my skin. I was faster, stronger, tougher, I was like a hero of old, reborn into the modern world. At that point I knew my name Paragon, It was clear my duty was to inspire a world so hungry for hope.

The world needs its heroes' date=' its shinning examples. Are you one? that was the question that changed my life. I was struggling through a 14th century copy of Homers the [i']Iliad[/i], I didn't even know our library had such a text, when I found that question written in gold ink at the bottom of the page. I was stunned how could anyone deface such a priceless text, but the question drew my mind. I could not deny they world needed positive examples...NO I thought it need more than mere examples it needed a Paragon.

I was enveloped in a golden light when my vision cleared I was transformed. I found had strength beyond mortals, I crushed a solid oak desk just trying to stand. the splintered wood didn't even dimple my skin. I was faster, stronger, tougher, I was like a hero of old, reborn into the modern world. At that point I knew my name Paragon, It was clear my duty was to inspire a world so hungry for hope.

That's good, a little reworking for how magic works in my world (all characters with a magic origin have to have a DF), have the book disapear from the shelves, good mystery to follow up on. Thank you again for the good ideas...

I nice little Brick. Does what a low-power Brick should and still does something else. The inclusion of a movement power of some-sort is a must for this archetype and flight is pretty much the best "bang-for-your-buck" ("zoom-for-your-zenis", maybe). And it's always nice to see a brick with a healthy collection of skills.

Its funny, I also have a character named The Paragon.

Anyway my version was built on 350pts (340 with disadvantages if I recall)

The write up you've posted is pretty basic Superman template. Flying bricks are quickly becoming there own genre of hero. The "Mutants and Masterminds" rpg actually does refer to these archetypes as "Paragons". I built my version years before its inception for a friend (on 450pts). The most recent version (a 350pt and a 450pt experienced version) is on reserve for whoever wants it, and can role-play it with a modicum of justice.

Oh yeah, my opinion on your write up. It's a bit basic.

Nothing to me sets it apart from the norm. If you really want it to stand out you need a well developed write up and a few modifications. The stats and abilities need some tweaking. I would seriously consider bringing the character closer to the 350 pt standard in order to deviate from the norm. Yes I realize this character is supposed to be inexperienced. To me that has little to do with point totals as it does with diversity of chosen abilities and skill levels. Depending on the concept a starting character could be built on 500pts and still be powerful but green or new to the hero world.

I find it very difficult to create different concepts on anything less then 300. Keep in mind 90% of the champions Universe villains are created on 350 or more! Points can go towards flavour instead of power and you’ll find players prefer to play more fleshed out heroes. Unfortunately I don't have Paragon with me; at this time he's on my computer at home.

If you’re interested I can summarize his abilities and most importantly is background. Feel free to steal anything (or everything) if you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If I were powerful I’d have hair”

~Krillen-Dragon Ball z

Its funny, I also have a character named The Paragon.

Anyway my version was built on 350pts (340 with disadvantages if I recall)

The write up you've posted is pretty basic Superman template. Flying bricks are quickly becoming there own genre of hero. The "Mutants and Masterminds" rpg actually does refer to these archetypes as "Paragons". I built my version years before its inception for a friend (on 450pts). The most recent version (a 350pt and a 450pt experienced version) is on reserve for whoever wants it, and can role-play it with a modicum of justice.

Oh yeah, my opinion on your write up. It's a bit basic.

Nothing to me sets it apart from the norm. If you really want it to stand out you need a well developed write up and a few modifications. The stats and abilities need some tweaking. I would seriously consider bringing the character closer to the 350 pt standard in order to deviate from the norm. Yes I realize this character is supposed to be inexperienced. To me that has little to do with point totals as it does with diversity of chosen abilities and skill levels. Depending on the concept a starting character could be built on 500pts and still be powerful but green or new to the hero world.

I find it very difficult to create different concepts on anything less then 300. Keep in mind 90% of the champions Universe villains are created on 350 or more! Points can go towards flavour instead of power and you’ll find players prefer to play more fleshed out heroes. Unfortunately I don't have Paragon with me; at this time he's on my computer at home.

If you’re interested I can summarize his abilities and most importantly is background. Feel free to steal anything (or everything) if you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If I were powerful I’d have hair”

~Krillen-Dragon Ball z

The game is a 275 point game, thus he is 275 points, but please post away

• 1 month later...

Current version, dropping dex across the board to give a sanctioning package

Paragon

Player:

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

18 DEX 24

30 CON 40

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

10/20 PD 0

10/20 ED 4

4 SPD 12

16 REC 0

60 END 0

55 STUN 0

10" RUN 0

10" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 144

Cost Power

6 Team Communicator: HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight, Hearing, & Radio (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

37 Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points)

13 Strong Legs: Multipower, 13-point reserve

1u 1) Leaping 0" (10" forward, 5" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (10 Active Points)

1u 2) Running +4" (10" total), x4 Noncombat (13 Active Points)

1u 3) Swimming +8" (10" total) (x4 Noncombat) (13 Active Points)

1u 4) Knockback Resistance -5" (10 Active Points)

8 LS (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)

Powers Cost: 77

Cost Skill

6 +2 with Punch, Grab, & Block

1 Acting 8-

1 Climbing 8-

1 Combat Driving 8-

1 Computer Programming 8-

1 Concealment 8-

1 Conversation 8-

1 Deduction 8-

4 Language: English (idiomatic)

3 PS: Student (INT-based) 12-

1 PS: Teacher 8-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-

1 2) KS: Criminal Law & Procedures (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: History (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Philosophy (2 Active Points) 11-

2 5) KS: Sports (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 12-

1 6) KS: Super Villains (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Seduction 12-

1 Shadowing 8-

1 Stealth 8-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 Teamwork 13-

Skills Cost: 44

Cost Perk

5 Contact: Detective Simon Queen. Police Liason (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

5 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers, Membership: Crusaders

Perks Cost: 10

Total Character Cost: 275

Pts. Disadvantage

5 DF: Magical Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Psych. Lim.: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)

Are you intending to spend points on Everyman skills? As I see 9 points that could be freed up by not spending points on Everyman skills that are still at the Everyman level.

Yes, the game in question does not use Everyman skills, but does have a recomended Everyman package deal (Costs 25 points) and gives an extra 25 points to each character, net result is that it is slightly cheaper to buy up everyman skills and allows for a greater custimization based on backstory. The Everyman package is suppose to be a starting point, that each player customises (some may choose more KS, or PS, for instance)

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if you ought to make him a random draw though. I wouldn't want this guy in the hands of the weakest RPer at the table.

Which in turn indicates to me that there is more work to be done to marry his powers to his backstory.

Power analysis:

This guy sems boring until you remember that with 50 strength, there is a heck of a lot of things you can do, like tear armored cars in half and throw small buildings. CV 6+2 seems really good, with something better than a 50-50 shot at hitting the other guy's brick. 20 PD/ED (and only 10 resistant) means that this isn't Superman, that you have to be careful. Have you considered adding a Missile Deflection (I ignore your puny bullets and shrapnel!) so that he can bounce high-caliber weaponry? As it is, he will take BODY from a good shot from an SMG and any bad guy with an HKA on even an average roll. It would make a good slot in the multipower, but you'd have to call it super-strength tricks or something.

50 strength with a top OCV of 8 makes him a monster in H2H. I think he will be fine as long as there is a good compelling backstory and personality.

I have a character named Paragon in my universe as well (Hence my board name). My Paragon is the "Superman" of the world and an NPC so I've never stated him out as he's just a color NPC. He too has a very simplistic view, he doesn't understand the "shades of gray" heroes.

I was going to suggest taking Political Science as a major. Understanding how governments work sounded like something that that such a character would embrace.