[Help] Dr. Strange references?

Khelendros

Re: Help please

I've done a lot of searching and I just can't find any builds for Dr Strange or Fate or other "magic" users in Marvel/DC. I wanted to see some example builds on how to build someone who uses magic. Could someone post links if there are any.

Well, not sure if you have checked the ever usefull Surbrooks' Stuff

character archive at:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/archive.html

There might be something useable there...Or at least something to

fire the imagination. :thumbup:

Also, check at The Great Net Book Of Real Heroes at:

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/

They have two builds for Dr Fate:

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Dr_Fate1.txt

And

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Dr_Fate2.txt

Also, while they are not from the DC pantheon of characters, there are

builds for the prime magic users from TV series Buffy; The Vampire Slayer,

Willow Rosenberg and Tara Maclay:

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Willow-mi.txt

And

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Tara-mi.txt

They might give you some build ideas....

I didn't see any Zatana or Dr Strange builds but then I might have

missed them. And as for other mystic types from the comics I am

really not familiar enough to know what names to look for.... :o

Hope this helps.

-Carl-

It is because the true Sorcerer Supreme defies all attempts. Only the small and weak can be written up...

mmuuhahhahahhahhahh!!!!

Yes? :nonp:

By the Awesome Eye of Agamotto !! I think you are correct ! :D

BTW, there is a pretty detailed (and Hero translateable) description of

the good Dr at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange

-Carl-

I would look if I hadn't left the book at my GM's house. I'm going off the information the builder gives me.

Sorry.

Basically my take on it is since a VPP is a really powerful structure which can allow you to shift on the fly, the Control Cost is the price you pay for that extra versatility.

The VPP point pool is the available points to put in the powers/abilities and the control cost is the points paid to allow this flexibility.

I'm sure one of the guru's can give a better explanation ;)

Well I just got done doing a lot of research. I can get a 60 active point VVP(Gives me 40 point spells) and take spells out of the The Ultimate Grimoire and Spellfinder Utility that I found on Fritz's HERO System Stuff. I could just pre-select spells out of it that I'll uses on a regular biases so we aren't having to look up builds. Or would it still be better to do a Multipower?

The VVP is fine if you limit it so you cannot make up spells off the cuff.

Have as many spells as you like, submit 'em for GM approval, and have a list you can choose from in play.

That would work if you know 100% how each spell works without looking up FREd in game and you don't dither when it comes time to picking your spell.

Do a rough draft and we'll help you iron out the details.

Good luck.

As a newbie I would say stick to a Spell Multipower. Each spell you know is another slot in the MP.

As you learn new spells you just buy another slot. Avoid VPPs until you have a bit more experience under your built.

Don't forget, Keep it Simple

I'll second Alibear on this. I've played Hero for a long time and to be honest I very seldom use VVP's. The entire reason to have one (IMO) is to be able to change on the fly which can get sticky and bog down a session even with experienced players. Until you get familier with the system I would just use a MP. If it is an NPC you can always do a redesign once you get the feel for the system, and if it is a PC my guess is everyone will want to "adjust" their characters after they play a bit and have a better idea of how to do things.

Mmm' date=' It didn't show up. How do I post a character again? I know I was told before by someone but I can never get it to work.[/quote']

Here's a link to the nicer format for posting to this board.

And here's the output:

Mage

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13/53 STR 3 12- / 20- Lift 151.6kg/38.8tons; 2 1/2d6/10 1/2d6 [1/5]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

15 CON 10 12-

15/23 BODY 10 12- / 14-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

14 PRE 4 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

3/23 PD 0 Total: 3/23 PD (0/20 rPD)

3/23 ED 0 Total: 3/23 ED (0/20 rED)

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

30/38 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 87

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 20"/40"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Teleportation: 20"/40"

Cost Powers END

15 Arcane Might: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 5 REC) (15 Active Points)

20 Mystical Body: Power Defense (20 points)

20 Mystical Mind: Mental Defense (23 points total)

53 Asgardian Magic: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 40 base + 13 control cost, (60 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2)

0 1) Realm Of the Great: Growth (+40 STR, +8 BODY, +8 STUN, -8" KB, 25,600 kg, -4 DCV, +4 PER Rolls to perceive character, 8 m tall, 4 m wide) (40 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used ( Reforms the body into part human, part animal form ; -1/2) Real Cost: 27 4

The great creatures of the Earth are widely revered by common and noble people. This spell confers the massive strength and physical nature of one of these animals. The body of the wizard changes in two ways. First the body becomes larger, secondly the face takes on a mask-like quality resembling the totem animal used by this wizard.

0 2) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 4

0 3) Sleep: Mind Control 8d6 (Human class of minds) (40 Active Points); Set Effect (to cause target to sleep soundly; -1/2) Real Cost: 27 4

This spell bestows upon the target the ability to sleep soundly without snoring or disturbing nightmares. He will gain the benefit of a full night of rest for as long as the spell remains in effect.

0 4) Detect Magic: Detect A Single Thing 21- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range (24 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) Real Cost: 16 2

The caster simply views an object closely (it must be within 1"). If it is indeed magical, the object will seem to the caster to glow. The spell reveals no information about the nature or power of the enchantment.

0 5) Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30 3

0 6) Planar Protection: LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (17 Active Points); Custom Modifier (Long Term END loss every hour maintained (2 points); -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) Real Cost: 10 2

Many of the planes where a Wizard might find himself are inhospitable to normal life forms. For this reason, most Gatemasters are taught this life support spell as an apprentice. The spell surrounds the Wizard with a thin shell of environment drawn from his native plane. The shell provides clean air, and protects the Wizard from extremes of atmospheric pressure and temperature. For each hour the spell is maintained, the Wizard suffers two points of long term END loss.

0 7) Ice Demons(Summon): Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF, Autofire (10 shots; +1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Continuous (+1) (40 Active Points); Vulnerable (Very Common; Fire; -1), Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), Set Effect (Feet Only) (-1), Entangle Has 1 BODY (-1/2), Nonresistant DEF (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) Real Cost: 8

Summons little ice demons to hold and ensnare target

0 8) Stoneskin: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 4

The caster causes his skin to become rock-hard. This spell remains in effect as

long as the caster continues to expend energy to keep it up. While this spell is

operating, the caster's skin becomes slightly shiny and rocky-looking.

0 9) Slow Time: Drain DEX 4d6 (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 4

This spell creates a time field which slows down the target. The target perceives

things normally but is unable to react as quickly.

0 10) Teleport: Teleportation 20" (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 4

0 11) Fly: Flight 20" (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 40 4

0 12) Portal to the Magical Realms: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location) (35 Active Points) Real Cost: 35 3

0 13) Light Spell: Hearing Group Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2) (7 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2) Real Cost: 3 1

This spell allows the caster to create a globe of cool, white light that illuminates the surrounding area as brightly as a lantern. This spell is often made into permanent lights for temples, the houses of the wealthy and important city thoroughfares.

0 14) Lightning Bolt: RKA 2 1/2d6, Custom Modifier (+1 body outdoors, -1 body indoors; +0) (40 Active Points); Side Effects (6d6 Energy Blast or Random discharge, side effect triggered if targeting roll fails; -1/2) Real Cost: 27 4

Opposing winds summoned by the caster generate a large static charge that is channeled through the caster at the target - a lightning bolt.

If the caster fails to hit his target, he'll suffer a large shock, unless he is wearing no metal, in which case the full force of the spell will be turned on whatever piece of metal nearby that the GM feels is appropriate.

0 15) Fireball: Energy Blast 6d6, Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (37 Active Points); Limited Power Does not work in rain or underwater (-1/4) Real Cost: 30 4

This common spell creates an explosion of flame that burns anyone in its radius. The caster points his finger, and with a "whoosh" the fireball flies toward the target and explodes. The fireball frequently sets its target on fire.

0 16) Friendship: Mind Control 8d6 (Human class of minds) (40 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (-1/2), Set Effect (only to make the target feel friendly; -1/2) Real Cost: 20 4

This spell will make the target believe that the caster is a dear friend. Any reasonable request made of the target will be honored in deference to this friendship. However a request that the target finds particularly distasteful may snap him out of the spell and cause him to realize what has happened. Also, once the spell has ended, the target will fully realize what has happened and may be none too pleased. This spell is further complicated by the fact that it requires eye contact between the caster and the target. Thus it is not very good at long ranges.

Talents

5 Magesight

5 Eidetic Memory

Skills

3 Deduction 15-

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

15 Spell 21-

10 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Personal Computers, Artificial Intelligence, Mainframes and Supercomputers, Military Computers) 15-

3 Analyze: Magic 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Dimensional Engineering 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Traveler

3 Scholar

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 163

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

Total Disadvantage Points: 250

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

Thank you again for the aid everyone. I got a really nice Super Mage made. Basically Dr.Strange but 250 character points lol. He can only do 40 point spells with a 60 ap limit and has to make magic rolls but hey! I'm not the Sorcerer Supreme. Maybe someday I'll be close in power.I do have his cloak or one like it but not his eye and I have a magical staff that has a few nifty things on it and a bag of holding lol.

Thank you again for the aid everyone. I got a really nice Super Mage made. Basically Dr.Strange but 250 character points lol. He can only do 40 point spells with a 60 ap limit and has to make magic rolls but hey! I'm not the Sorcerer Supreme. Maybe someday I'll be close in power.I do have his cloak or one like it but not his eye and I have a magical staff that has a few nifty things on it and a bag of holding lol.

Good luck with using him...if you could, would you post his first and/or second adventure?