[Killershrike.com] Character List by Genre

Killer Shrike

This is finally in good enough condition to unveil...Character List by Genre

Most characters are mine, others arent. The db is generated via code that runs thru my site and finds html files generated with HERO Designer, to which I've added some intelligence to assign creators and genre and campaign based on folders and some assumptions, but if you see a character that you submitted that is inaccurately credited, let me know privately and Ill get the db updated.

Enjoy...

Re: [Killershrike.com] Character List by Genre

You dont have to program it if you dont want to -- just make a page for each genre. The programming aspect just means I didnt have to do it by hand, and also attaches meta info to the characters automatically. As I add characters I'll just run the code again to find anything new since the last time. Saves me time in the long run, but not essential to the end result of grouped links on a page ;)

You dont have to program it if you dont want to -- just make a page for each genre. The programming aspect just means I didnt have to do it by hand' date=' and also attaches meta info to the characters automatically. As I add characters I'll just run the code again to find anything new since the last time. Saves me time in the long run, but not essential to the end result of grouped links on a page ;)[/quote']

Yes, but I have thousands of characters on my site. I'd hate to have to do it over every time I updated it.

Maybe a little but I find your site pretty easy to navigate. It's very well arranged.

I was thinking about that. I mean, I already divide stuff by general media, and then by series. I think genre is going to be pushing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about that. I mean' date=' I already divide stuff by general media, and then by series. I think genre is going to be pushing it.[/quote']

I agree, if you don't know what genre a series is, look it up. Doubt too many people are gonna look at the Black Lagoon characters and think they're from a Victorian Mystery Novel (though wouldn't THAT be a hoot).

The main thing for me is my site isnt about characters, its about content. However there are a number of characters available here and there, inline with content in a topical fashion. For my purposes it was useful to collate a list of characters across the subsites so that interested parties (including myself) can get at them directly without having to navigate thru content, and by genre was the most convenient way for me to group them.

The main thing for me is my site isnt about characters' date=' its about content. However there are a number of characters available here and there, inline with content in a topical fashion. For my purposes it was useful to collate a list of characters across the subsites, and by genre was the most convenient way for me to group them.[/quote']

Hmm... There's the difference. Mine started out as a character archive, and expanded from there.

Hmm... There's the difference. Mine started out as a character archive' date=' and expanded from there.[/quote']

Yup.

As a side note, technically I could include links to other sites in my database if I wanted to, I would just have to manually maintain it is the only downside.

The main thing for me is my site isnt about characters' date=' its about content. However there are a number of characters available here and there, inline with content in a topical fashion. For my purposes it was useful to collate a list of characters across the subsites so that interested parties (including myself) can get at them directly without having to navigate thru content, and by genre was the most convenient way for me to group them.[/quote']

This is what I like most about it. The only Thing I wish it had was some kind of description (even if it's just a single word) as to what the character was/did. Knowing that Brother Ernault was a martial artist or that Kjar Kvaransen was an Elementalist before clicking on them would be nice, but it's not too big a deal. Anyways, keep up the good work!

This is what I like most about it. The only Thing I wish it had was some kind of description (even if it's just a single word) as to what the character was/did. Knowing that Brother Ernault was a martial artist or that Kjar Kvaransen was an Elementalist before clicking on them would be nice' date=' but it's not too big a deal. Anyways, keep up the good work![/quote']

Hmm...an interesting idea. I could associate some details w/ the data, but the entry of it would have to be manual. Ill think about it...

When I hover names, they get red and bold. And if they are longish, they become two lines which makes my mouse not hover them anymore, which in turn... well, you know, messed up html and stuff :) Opera browser, current 9.x something.

When I hover names' date=' they get red and bold. And if they are longish, they become two lines which makes my mouse not hover them anymore, which in turn... well, you know, messed up html and stuff :) Opera browser, current 9.x something.[/quote']

The bolding is intentional. It can cause the cell widths to flex to accommodate. I just checked Opera and it does seem to be more sensitive to it than most browsers.

Ill look into it when I get a chance; thanks!