suppress

steph

Re: suppress

Can you supress someones supress' date=' to free others of supression[/quote']

Yes you can, but then you could then suppress the suppress that is suppressing the first suppress... (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

At some point you create a Recursive Loop that collapses the fabric of the universe though.

Supression can be used against... well, anything. Even if the char didn't pay for the power (heroic). You can supress a gun, for example.

IMO suppression vs/ characteristics is counterable by healing/aid as well as counter-supress since the aid power adjusts the suppressed characteristics rather than supressing the power that's lowered them... if the aid is directed at the suppressed power/characteristic.

So there are more defenses/counters to suppress than the single power itself.

Supression v/ supression should be limited to supressing the power itself (the opponent's supress), not the result on the hapless target already supressed.

Vs. Characteristics:

If it's bought with more than an hour of delayed-return I would make it more costly to supress the target as it's affects are more like a major transform. At standard 5pts/turn the supress costs normal, up to 5pts/5min or thereabouts. Beyond that the supress has a 2-for-1 ratio. If pushed past 5pts/day it's a major transformation, not supress, as it criples the victim.

Considering... it's a heck of a lot cheaper to supress the opponent's Body than use a Killing Attack or Transform. A powerful supress thrown against a low-characteristic rapidly pushes them deep into the negatives, unless house-rules limit the supress power to a limit of zero active points.

The rulebook takes into account a supress v/ Body, but from my PoV a supress should never take a core characteristic below zero, even taking into account wounds.

Eg: A 30 Body target recieves 17 points from wounds. The supress would then only be able to affect the remaining 13 points, whether it's 4d6 supress or 20d6. A sustained loss of Body from further attacks would still act as if against the effective 13 body, essentially adding that 13 to the depth of their negative attribute. So long as the target does not go into -43 body he will 'recover' when the supress fades. Unless the supress, of course, lasts days before it fades. Then it's just a killing attack in the guise of suppress and would cost 6 points (or more, depending on delayed recovery level) to supress 1 point of Body

I like Suppress for Characteristics for certain powers. My mentalist-light has a Suppress for PRE and INT, to inspire cowering terror or mindlessness. My mage uses Suppress and Succor with timed charges to hasten, wither, slow, or strengthen people.

From a GM standpoint - not BODY. That's not cool.

I like Suppress for Characteristics for certain powers. My mentalist-light has a Suppress for PRE and INT, to inspire cowering terror or mindlessness. My mage uses Suppress and Succor with timed charges to hasten, wither, slow, or strengthen people.

Actually BODY supress is really useful. IIRC correctly you can use it to kill someone but not permanently, so it makes an excellent way to do suspended animation.

OTOH Supressing PRE AND INT (as mentioned above) is likely to be horribly abusive unless it is a campaign with a lot of appropriate defences. These are more or less 'one shot kill' powers.

Actually BODY supress is really useful. IIRC correctly you can use it to kill someone but not permanently, so it makes an excellent way to do suspended animation.

OTOH Supressing PRE AND INT (as mentioned above) is likely to be horribly abusive unless it is a campaign with a lot of appropriate defences. These are more or less 'one shot kill' powers.

Hmm. I think as a practical matter they can be effective hindrances in a combat environment, and have the advantage of being more or less bloodless. I can see how they could be uneven in application, but a literal minded GM would find a Suppress INT to be less of an obstacle than the Suppress PRE. If it turns the baddies from fight to flight, flight can be just as dangerous to the environment, the good guys, and the noncombatants.

Additionally, it's a bit of an endurance thief to maintain them, and as soon as you drop them you have the same old problems.

That would make for a REALLY funny Foxbat master plan. A device that emits a mega-scale INT suppress. You could all too easily see Foxbat forgetting to put on his protective headgear and making himself dumb with everyone else.

"Hah! Foxbat smart! Foxbat smartest! You make Foxbat rule world!"

Suppress can be tricky. It isn't alway that flashy a power, but when used properly (especially in a support role), it can be devastating.

Case in point: Our group of high powered heroes busts into Megavillian's far-flung, super-secret satellite base. We attempt to be stealthy, but know that when we get caught :eek:, which is bound to happen, we are going to have to fight our way out.

One character, whose entire schtick is energy manipulation, gets the bright idea of suppressing Energy RKAs in the area. :sneaky: Yes, it limits the players options. But those hordes of guards with the nasty 5 and 6 die RKA energy blasters aren't nearly as dangerous when you shave 2d6 off the top. :D

According to 5ER (and maybe FAQ), a Suppress that takes a target down to it's negative body kills the target... But when the Suppress is removed, the target regains all of it's body and comes back to life. :ugly:

7d6 Suppress Body (Standard Effect 21 BODY) - Continuing Charge(3 Days)?

:eek:

According to 5ER (and maybe FAQ), a Suppress that takes a target down to it's negative body kills the target... But when the Suppress is removed, the target regains all of it's body and comes back to life. :ugly:

7d6 Suppress Body (Standard Effect 21 BODY) - Continuing Charge(3 Days)?

:eek:

And now you know how to create a Hatian/Voodoo Zombie Spell where everyone thinks the person is dead. . .

Hmm. I think as a practical matter they can be effective hindrances in a combat environment, and have the advantage of being more or less bloodless. I can see how they could be uneven in application, but a literal minded GM would find a Suppress INT to be less of an obstacle than the Suppress PRE. If it turns the baddies from fight to flight, flight can be just as dangerous to the environment, the good guys, and the noncombatants.

Additionally, it's a bit of an endurance thief to maintain them, and as soon as you drop them you have the same old problems.

Well, yes and no. If you Suppress Juggernaut's Damage Reduction and Armor, your teammates can put a hurtin' on him. And when you release the Suppress he doesn't get any of the STUN (and possibly BODY) back... :sneaky: