Random Lucha update

Darren Watts

Re: Random Lucha update

The Lucha manuscript passed 100' date='000 words today, not including whatever portion of Sidekick we wind up putting in. I'm guessing about a net of 25,000 words to go, though it's actually a bit more to be added because there's still some trimming needed in a couple of chapters. dw[/quote']

That sounds like a pretty hefty tome.

Is there a page # ballpark for it? I know there's no way to know, but just curious about how long it might be...

cP

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

:celebrateI'm so happy. I can't wait.:celebrate

Since this thread was started by the man himself, I'd like to know if there'S gonna be a chapter about fighting in the ring, rule for pin, submission and about the importance of having the crowd behind you. Oh and how much damage a folded chair can do. Looks to me like a 8d6 HTH, penetrating, +2 stun x, since an average wrestler can receive three kick to the face and not bleed, but a single chair shot will put down even the toughest of them.

Any response (short of death threats and mommy-related insults) will be appreciated.

Is there a page # ballpark for it? I know there's no way to know, but just curious about how long it might be...

No, there's no way to predict that at all. It depends on a lot of factors -- not just the word count but number of tables/text boxes, number of characters, etc., etc.

I hope that it basically is the definitive wrestling book for HERO

If you mean "definitive book about all types of wrestling," it won't be. It's about a specific type of wrestling and related adventure stories, not wrestling in general.

If you mean "definitive book about all types of wrestling," it won't be. It's about a specific type of wrestling and related adventure stories, not wrestling in general.

Steve's right. That said, there's not *that* much difference between professional lucha and American pro wrestling, and the world of pro lucha is pretty darned important to the setting, so there's a decent amount of information there that an enterprising reader could bend and twist to suit himself. Certainly lucha as a "martial art" is well-covered, with maneuvers and shticks, and a couple of the "campaign settings" discussed focus more on the in-ring drama and get a couple paragraphs each.

In order to understand the inevitable portion of each movie spent actually in the ring, there's info on life as a professional wrestler, a glossary of wrestling terms in both English and Spanish, and even a brief history of wrestling itself (though heavily weighted towards the Mexican history, not detailing what's gone on in America.) There *are* rules for pins, submissions and chair shots, as well as heat and pop, that a "Wrestling Hero" GM could use as a foundation. (In fact, Jason has developed far more detail than is probably necessary on Lucha as a martial art, and right now I'm planning to keep a lot of his extra work and make a separate, probably PDF-only book of "Lucha maneuvers and shticks" as a supplement for a couple bucks.)

But mostly it's about luchadores as adventurers, whether they're fighting monsters, mobsters, mad scientists or spies. The plan is to be a Ninja Hero (with a sprinkle of UMA and Dark Champs) for the world of Lucha- NH doesn't try to be a guide to full-contact PKA competitions, but it does give useful info for running a wild-and-crazy Enter The Dragon-style tournament. Lucha movies are about wrestling like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movies are about real martial arts- they're not *unrelated*, but it does leave out much of the point. dw

Yeah, I hope that it basically is the definitive wrestling book for HERO, perhaps with some in-depth analyses of the world of pro wrestling.

By the way, that chair shot comment holds up except in hardcore matches.

Or when the wrestler in question is a monster like the Undertaker, a giant like Andre, or a Samoan like Umaga.

The kick comment doesn't quite hold up either as most kicks to the face will drop an opponent, though not make him bleed.

I think I just put way to much thought into this....ah well. :D

The kick comment doesn't quite hold up either as most kicks to the face will drop an opponent' date=' though not make him bleed.[/quote']

Well, in my defense, I was referring to the classic stomp.

As for the Hardcore part of Main Man answer, that's right, PD and damage reduction DO go up in these matches. Except for Mick Foley, who was pretty much impossible to destroy in all of his matches, wrestlers become tougher when they have an hardcore match. Maybe something in their food...

BTW, I realize that we are slowly drifting away in a general wrestling discussion when there's a pretty good thread started by Main Man. See you there, Tights-lovers.

One question, in a article for DH (well.... I think it was in DH), you did a writing of Santo, will he be in the book? Will it be the same or will he be changed to incorporate the new stuff of Lucha Hero?

I seem to think most wrestlers prefer stomping the gut or the nads which of course brings up a whole new set of questions. :D

Wait a minute!

Are you implying that wrestling is in any way, shape or form homo erotic? Big muscular men, all oiled up in brightly color tights. Name one thing more heterosexual than this.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Oh and how much damage a folded chair can do. Looks to me like a 8d6 HTH' date=' penetrating, +2 stun x, since an average wrestler can receive three kick to the face and not bleed, but a single chair shot will put down even the toughest of them.[/quote']

You do realize "Professional Wrestling" is worked, right?

Hopefully, there will never be rules listing chair shots or any maneuvers as 8d6 HTH, penetrating, +2 stun x.

It should be all about a character's abilities to act, his PS: wrestling, his reputation, physical abilities such as acrobatics and breakfall. Strength and dexterity come into play to pull off certain moves. There should be rules for working the crowd, to get pops as a face and heat as a heel.

While matches should be contests, they should never have a system to determine physical damage.

You do realize "Professional Wrestling" is worked' date=' right?[/quote']

No!! Really?? Wow, thanks for sharing the wisdom pal....

Seriously, I think what I (and Main Man I think) am trying to do is a kayfabe version of wrestling. Like if wrestler fought for real and could really take five D.D.T. and not be crippled. Of course, if you want to do a realistic wrestling campaign, all the wrestler will pull their punch, use acting to sell the move and the champion would be the one with the most COM and PRE. A question of style....

P.S.: Never assume a wrestling fan is a mark, you might end up getting piledrived :D

• 3 weeks later...