Elemental Controls, how do they work?

Nagisawa Takumi

Re: Elemental Controls, how do they work?

You can double them up.

Here's how I understand them, and (what's more) how I think of them.

Essentially, I see it starting with a "fee" you pay (equal to half the price of one of the powers you intend to group up), in exchange for getting those powers for half-off.

If you know there are four (or five, or six, or whatever) different fifty-point powers you want, and they all cost END, and your GM is okay with you lumping them together...go to town. Instead of paying 200 points for them each individually, you pay 25 for the base multipower, and then 25 apiece (if they're all nice and neat at 50 points). It's a discount you get for the powers being related in some way, and fitting an overall theme.

For instance, say you want to make a Iceman/Bobby Drake clone. You want to be able to make Force Walls (Ice walls), you want an Ice Slide (bought as improved running, let's say), you want an Energy Blast (beams of cold or ice spikes or however you want to describe them), and you want an Entangle. Your GM agrees that these are all in keeping with the overall theme of the character, and that the powers all come from the same source (your mutant ability to manipulate cold and create constructs from ice, yadda yadda yadda), so you're good to go.

And, unlike multipower, you have access to all of them at once (for their full value).

I'm still no expert at the system, and maybe someone else will be able to explain it all better, but that's my take on it (the best explaining I can give). I see them as a little more complex (but a little more rewarding) than Multipowers... and now I'm just trying to wrap my head around VPP's. ;)

You can use all powers in an EC simutaneously. Heres an example

Pts Power

30 Elemental Control: Fire Powers (60 point Powers)

30 Fire Bolt: 12d6 EB (60 Act Points)

30 Flame Shield: Force Field 20 PD & 20 ED at 0 End (+1/2) (60 Act Points)

30 Heat Rises: Flight 30 (60 Act Points)

With this example in a phase you can act you can have your force field up, fly half your movement and still fire you fire bolt.

Here is a fully built character who utilizes both a multi power and an ec for further example. He is a villain in my campaign universe

[b]Snow Blind - Anthony "Big Tony" Andreghetti[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
21    DEX     33   21      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
15    CON     10   15      12-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
10    INT     0   10      11-       PER Roll 11-
10    EGO     0   10      11-       ECV: 3
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
5    PD      2   5/30             5/30 PD (0/25 rPD)
5    ED      2   5/30             5/30 ED (0/25 rED)
5    SPD     19   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
16    REC     20   16
50    END     10   50
50    STUN    24   50
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 135[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
75     [b][i]Ice & Cold[/i][/b]: Multipower, 75-point reserve - END=
5u     1)  [b][i]Arctic Attack[/i][/b]: EB 6 1/2d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (74 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=7
7u     2)  [b][i]Ice Ball[/i][/b]: EB 15d6 (75 Active Points) - END=7
7u     3)  [b][i]Cryo Beam[/i][/b]: EB 7d6, NND (LS: Intense Cold; +1) (70 Active Points) - END=7
5u     4)  [b][i]Flash Frozen[/i][/b]: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Vulnerable (Uncommon; Fire & Heat; -1/2) - END=7
7u     5)  [b][i]Ice Lance[/i][/b]: RKA 4d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=3
7u     6)  [b][i]Icey Fog[/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight Group 5" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points) - END=0
7u     7)  [b][i]Snowblind[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (10" Cone; +1) (75 Active Points) - END=0
45     [b][i]Ice & Cold[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 90-point powers - END=
45     1)  [b][i]Ice Shield[/i][/b]: FF (25 PD/25 ED/5 Flash Defense:  Sight Group/5 Flash Defense:  Hearing Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points) - END=0
30     2)  [b][i]Ice Slides[/i][/b]: Flight 25", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) - END=0
30     3)  [b][i]Ice Supports[/i][/b]: Aid  Body 6d6, Conditional Power Only to Brace/ Reinforce objects (+0), Ranged (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/2) - END=9
      - END=
2     LS  (Safe in Intense Cold) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 272[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Combat Driving 13-
8      Gambling (Card Games, Dice Games, Sports Betting, Roulette) 11-
4      Language:  Italian (completely fluent; literate)
3      Streetwise 13-
2      WF:  Small Arms
15      +5 with Multi Power
15      +3 with DCV

[b]SKILLS Cost: 50[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
8      Contact:  Nunzio 'Goomba' Stomboli (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 15-

[b]PERKS Cost: 8[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Fire & Heat (Common)
20     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Fire & Heat (Common)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Fire & Heat (Uncommon)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Acts Stereotypically Italian (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Casual Killer (Common, Strong)
15     Social Limitation:  Public ID (Frequently, Major)
20     Hunted:  Police 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident (Common, Strong)
5     Distinctive Features:  Pure White Eyes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Physical Limitation:  Wierd Bio Chemistry requires special medical attention (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
10     Unluck: 2d6
100     Cold Hearted Villain Bonus

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 260[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 5
Total Exp Available: 5
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 465

Actually, you did a pretty good job describing an EC, Squall.

The one thing I'd want to mention is that the base cost for an EC is half the points in the cheapest power - it is often wise (from an efficiency standpoint) to put a few more points into the lowest-cost power in the EC.

It, and correspondingly, the base cost, are more expensive - but will be more than counterbalanced by the increased savings on the other powers in the EC.

This may help more than my other example here is a Pyrokenetik of my own.

[b]Sunburn - Donny Williams[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
24    DEX     42   24      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
20    CON     20   20      13-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
12    INT     2   12      11-       PER Roll 11-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
18    COM     4   18      13-
5    PD      2   5/35             5/35 PD (0/30 rPD)
5    ED      1   5/35             5/35 ED (0/30 rED)
6    SPD     26   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
15    REC     16   15
50    END     5   50
50    STUN    17   50
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 168[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
75     [b][i]Fire & Heat[/i][/b]: Multipower, 75-point reserve - END=
7u     1)  [b][i]Dehydration[/i][/b]: Drain DEX 7 1/2d6 (75 Active Points) - END=7
7u     2)  [b][i]Firebolt[/i][/b]: EB 15d6 (75 Active Points) - END=7
7u     3)  [b][i]Inferno Blast[/i][/b]: EB 7d6, NND (LS: Intesnse Heat; +1) (70 Active Points) - END=7
7u     4)  [b][i]Flare[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash 7d6, Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) (70 Active Points) - END=7
7u     5)  [b][i]Melting Blast[/i][/b]: RKA 5d6 (75 Active Points) - END=7
7u     6)  [b][i]Pyrokenesis I[/i][/b]: Suppress Fire 15d6 (75 Active Points) - END=7
4u     7)  [b][i]Pyrokenesis II[/i][/b]: Telekinesis (30 STR), Affects Porous, Fine Manipulation (65 Active Points); Only Works On Limited Types Of Objects Fire (-1/2) - END=6

45     [b][i]Fire & Heat[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 90-point powers - END=
45     1)  [b][i]Heat Shield I[/i][/b]: FF (30 PD/30 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points) - END=0
45     2)  [b][i]Heat Shield II[/i][/b]: EB 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), NND (LS: Intense Heat; +1), Continuous (+1) (85 Active Points) - END=0
45     3)  Flight 30", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points) - END=0
2     LS  (Safe in Intense Heat) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 303[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      +3 with Grabs
20      +4 with DCV
12      +4 with Fire Multi Power
5      KS: Retail Sales 14-
4      Language:  Spanish (completely fluent; literate)
3      Mechanics 11-
4      TF:  Jetskis, Skateboarding, Surfing, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

[b]SKILLS Cost: 51[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Fringe Benefit:  Florida Police Powers

[b]PERKS Cost: 2[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Beach Bum Bonus
10     DNPC:  Girlfriend of the Month 8- (Normal)
5     Distinctive Features:  Red Irises (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
25     Hunted:  Genocide 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15     Physical Limitation:  Wierd Bio Chemistry, Requires Special Medical Attention  (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Thrill Seeker (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Will Not Kill (Common, Total)
15     Social Limitation:  Public ID (Frequently, Major)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Cold Based Attacks (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Cold Based Attacks (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 174
Total Exp Available: 174
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 524

There is of course, one other thing Drains, Dispells and the negative aspects of a Transfer that affect one of the powers in an EC, affect all of the powers in the EC at the same time. For example if Corven_Raven's Sunburn in the example above were to have his Flight Drained, than the other two Powers in the Fire and Heat EC would be reduced by the same amount.

There is of course' date=' one other thing Drains, Dispells and the negative aspects of a Transfer that affect one of the powers in an EC, affect all of the powers in the EC at the same time. For example if Corven_Raven's Sunburn in the example above were to have his Flight Drained, than the other two Powers in the Fire and Heat EC would be reduced by the same amount.[/quote']

Yup, this reflects what should be the biggest factor in deciding whether an EC is appropriate or not. All the powers in an EC are really manifestations of the same power. Hence, if one is Drained, they all are. Putting a fire-based FF and a fire-based EB in an EC might make sense, or it might not, depending on how they originate. For example, a mage who can cast Fire spells shouldn't use an EC, since it really doesn't make much sense to have his FF be less effective if his EB is Drained. On the other hand, a Human Torch clone should have both reduced, since draining one means his control over fire is reduced; both the FF and the EB stem from his control over fire. Hrm, going back to the mage, though, the EC could be defined as "Magic Powers", in which case it COULD make sense to have both drained (his magical power is drained), if all his "spells" are really manifestations of his control over magic.

Don't forget that an EC is built to cover a 'concept,' not necessarily just 'an element.' I allowed one of my PCs to have an EC for his 'GenGiant' abilities, including his DI, FF & Aid. It works really well, and he consumes lots and lots of END to run his powers together, and that's fine. His concept is 'ultra tank' and it works really well.

Elemental Controls are free points, basically. Their only limitation versus buying each power separately is the dubious 'one Adjustment effects all' limit. . . except that Adjustments versus specific power effects shouldn't logically trigger this weakness, and Adjustments versus the 'element' probably shouldn't have been bought Versus One Power At a Time anyway.

There really isn't any concept that needs an EC. Either your far better off using a multipower or VPP ( every single energy blaster/controller concept ), or you should just apply limits on some or all your powers ( Force Field and Flight, with Linked: Only when Damage Shield is On, for a Human Torch-style energy aura ), or you should not be getting the cost savings in the first place ( the 'EC: Werewolf Powers' type twinkery ).

Basically, its a reward for having a single unified character concept. So if you had a really poor character concept that was just a random assortment of powers you couldn't use an Elemental Control.

If your character had the fire SFX for all his powers then an EC for Force Field and Flight is perfectly OK. And yeah, there is that "all negative adjustments at once" limitation.

The negative aspect of an EC (it gets drained) is dependent on the GM. Personally, I see a character's sheet as a list of advantages, disadvantages, skills, and powers that the player is asking me to put into a story. Therefore, (for example), if they have a power that has the limitation "In water only, -1", they're asking me to put their character in situations where it will be difficult/impossible to have access to water half the time.

Similarly, putting a disadvantage on a character sheet is asking me to design scenarios that have those disadvantages as elements in them. Take Phobia: Insects (uncommon)? You're asking me to put you into situations where that disad will be an issue in approximately 1/3 of the sessions.

How does this apply to EC's, you ask? Well, putting something in an EC twofold: it's a reward for linking powers in a logical manner, but it's also you the player asking me the GM to attempt to drain, suppress, or Transfer your powers. I'll try to set this up for 1/3 of time (simply because 1/2 is boring for me, IMO.) And while these won't be complete nullifications of the powers, they will be a non-trivial part of the challenge to overcome.

Elemental Controls are free points' date=' basically. Their only limitation versus buying each power separately is the dubious 'one Adjustment effects all' limit. . . except that Adjustments versus specific power effects shouldn't logically trigger this weakness, and Adjustments versus the 'element' probably shouldn't have been bought Versus One Power At a Time anyway.[/quote']

I disagree, I think Adjustment powers vs specific power effects SHOULD logically adjust all the powers in an EC. If, logically, it shouldn't, then the powers shouldn't be in the EC.

For example, EC: Gadgets is no good, since there's no logical reason why someone Draining your OAF'd Force Field would make your blaster gun weaker. On the other hand, an EC: Force Field would work, since someone Draining your Personal Field (i.e. Force Field) power WOULD make your Force Punch (i.e. HA) weaker: they're the same "power", just manifesting differently.

EC: Werewolf Powers can work. It could also be bought as naked powers, not in an EC. It depends on how the concept goes. Maybe Suppressing your Resistant Physical Damage Reduction, Not Against Silver really means you're being made more human, and hence less resistant to damage by non-silver weapons, so your fangs (HKA) and extra STR would also be reduced. Or maybe you're just inherently a werewolf, so Suppressing your DR only means that.

Also note that Adjustment powers that work against all powers of a certain SFX at the same time affect ECs doubly, not as if the powers had been bought outside the EC. The EC is still a limitation in that situation. For example, consider a 20 pt EC: Force Field Control having three powers: 20PD/ED Force Field, +8d6 HA, 8PD/ED Force Wall. If it gets hit by a Suppress that affects "All Force Field SFX powers at the same time", and rolled 10 pts of effect would reduce this to: a 10 pt EC, with a 10PD/ED FF, a +4d6 HA, and a 4PD/ED Force Wall. Had the powers been bought w/o an EC, they would've been: 15PD/ED FF, +6d6 HA, 6PD/ED Force Wall. Which is what would've happened if the Suppress had been bought to affect only one power at a time.

I disagree, I think Adjustment powers vs specific power effects SHOULD logically adjust all the powers in an EC. If, logically, it shouldn't, then the powers shouldn't be in the EC.

For example, EC: Gadgets is no good, since there's no logical reason why someone Draining your OAF'd Force Field would make your blaster gun weaker. On the other hand, an EC: Force Field would work, since someone Draining your Personal Field (i.e. Force Field) power WOULD make your Force Punch (i.e. HA) weaker: they're the same "power", just manifesting differently.

True to a point, but the problem is, it almost never works both ways. A Drain vs FF would effect the HA logically, but there's no reason why a Drain vs HA would effect the FF. Or, for that matter, what a Drain vs HA would *constitute*.

Hence why I tend to think Adjustments vs Game Mechanics should be banned. . .

EC: Werewolf Powers can work. It could also be bought as naked powers, not in an EC. It depends on how the concept goes. Maybe Suppressing your Resistant Physical Damage Reduction, Not Against Silver really means you're being made more human, and hence less resistant to damage by non-silver weapons, so your fangs (HKA) and extra STR would also be reduced. Or maybe you're just inherently a werewolf, so Suppressing your DR only means that.

And this point, we get into game design aesthetics, but the problem is there's a better way to represent lycanthropy: Multiform or OIHID. And even if the wolf form is constant, if these powers can be shut off by something, its better represented with a Disadvantage, not an EC.

Also note that Adjustment powers that work against all powers of a certain SFX at the same time affect ECs doubly, not as if the powers had been bought outside the EC. The EC is still a limitation in that situation. For example, consider a 20 pt EC: Force Field Control having three powers: 20PD/ED Force Field, +8d6 HA, 8PD/ED Force Wall. If it gets hit by a Suppress that affects "All Force Field SFX powers at the same time", and rolled 10 pts of effect would reduce this to: a 10 pt EC, with a 10PD/ED FF, a +4d6 HA, and a 4PD/ED Force Wall. Had the powers been bought w/o an EC, they would've been: 15PD/ED FF, +6d6 HA, 6PD/ED Force Wall. Which is what would've happened if the Suppress had been bought to affect only one power at a time.

Which trends heavily into "far too complicated for practical use."

I tend to think that things would work much more readily if you eliminated both ECs *and* Adjustments vs Power.

Can you explain what "Adjustments vs. Game Mechanics should be banned" means in your mind? Because I heard "Drain all Fire Powers" or "Suppress all Mutations" and I got confused for a second. So before I type up something that's vaguely rant like about functionality and balance, can you clarify?

Can you explain what "Adjustments vs. Game Mechanics should be banned" means in your mind? Because I heard "Drain all Fire Powers" or "Suppress all Mutations" and I got confused for a second. So before I type up something that's vaguely rant like about functionality and balance' date=' can you clarify?[/quote']

Oh, I mean by that things like "Drain vs Energy Blast" or "Suppress vs Flight", where the power is defined in terms of the game mechanic it effects, irrespective of the SFX of the mechanic. So, technically speaking, that Drain vs Energy Blast would work equally well on a telekinetic force bolt, a cybernetic laser implant, and a object-throwing super skill, which makes no sense.

Hence, I tend to think the adjustment hierarchy should look like "single specific power", "narrow power SFX", "broad power SFX", "*really* broad power SFX".

Oh, I mean by that things like "Drain vs Energy Blast" or "Suppress vs Flight", where the power is defined in terms of the game mechanic it effects, irrespective of the SFX of the mechanic. So, technically speaking, that Drain vs Energy Blast would work equally well on a telekinetic force bolt, a cybernetic laser implant, and a object-throwing super skill, which makes no sense.

Hence, I tend to think the adjustment hierarchy should look like "single specific power", "narrow power SFX", "broad power SFX", "*really* broad power SFX".

Eh, that makes sense.

True to a point' date=' but the problem is, it almost never works both ways. A Drain vs FF would effect the HA logically, but there's no reason why a Drain vs HA would effect the FF. Or, for that matter, what a Drain vs HA would *constitute*.[/quote']

Well, there is a logical reason... you're draining their ability to control the field whenever you drain ANY of the powers in the EC, so they ALL get drained equally. Draining the HA means the target can no longer control the field well enough (to create an HA), so they can't (additionally) create an FF.

I'd phrase this as "Adjustments vs non-SFX'd game mechanics should be banned". I'm fine with "Drain EB", as long as it's EBs with a certain SFX (whether it be single SFX or a very broad category, as long as there's a reason). I don't think Adjustment powers need be limited to "any power of a specific SFX".

To put it another way, I don't approve of "Drain EB of any SFX", but I'm fine with "Drain EB (and only EB, no other powers) of SFX: Fire, Ice, Magic, or Object-based".

And this point' date=' we get into game design aesthetics, but the problem is there's a better way to represent lycanthropy: Multiform or OIHID. And even if the wolf form is constant, if these powers can be shut off by something, its better represented with a Disadvantage, not an EC.[/quote']

I disagree. Although it's a perfectly valid concept to have something that can turn off the condition modeled as a Disadvantage, it's also valid not to have such a thing, yet have someone who has the power to make werewolves more like the humans they once were, or, in fact, all such half-men, half-animal more like men (Drain all powers of a specific SFX).

Which trends heavily into "far too complicated for practical use."

I don't think it's ALL that complicated (you're just propagating an effect to other powers... works the same as if the Drain were "against all powers of a specific SFX", which is a valid concept, and one you (I assume, from your post) support).

I tend to think that things would work much more readily if you eliminated both ECs *and* Adjustments vs Power.

From a mechanics point of view, EC needs not have a common SFX. It makes sense to save some points by accepting the limitations of having a bunch of powers drained as one. This should probably be done through Limitations, though, not through a Power Framework.

From a "roleplaying", "character concept" point of view, while it sounds nice to reward players for unified character concepts, it's, in effect, inconsistent. A "gadget master" is as unified as a "fire master", yet can't (shouldn't, from a game mechanics point of view) benefit from ECs. Also, why reward unified concepts, and not original, creative, different, etc. concepts? There's a difference between "I want a guy who can shoot fireballs, read your mind, and fly" and "Graethor is an experienced mind-reader, having studied under Master Jagos for years. When Coldheart the Vile slew Master Jagos, Graethor devoted his life to seeking out and vanquishing Coldheart, calling upon his ancestors to grant him the power to call upon Fire to hurt his enemies. His ancestors not only granted him this, but also follow him around, lifting him off the ground and carrying him where he wishes to go." Ok, cheesy, sure... but it's an original, creative concept that gets no reward, while "Yah, my guy can shoot fireballs, fly (leaving a trail of fire), and protect himself with a fire FF" gets nice cost-breaks.