New to Hero

mdock2003

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New to Hero

Oh yeah' date=' if you need some suggestions on books to buy I might be able to help, well beyond "all of them" at least... I've got reviews I can point you towards.[/quote']

So far I have 5e core, Fantasy Hero, Champions, and Resource Kit. I'm in the middle of reading the core book right now. But helpful suggestions are always welcome.

but they can get complicated if you can't read the character sheets.
Oh right

this reminded me of "matrix effect"

matrix effect is when you see something weird and undestand what it means, while other does'nt. Like Neo who could see the matrix "coding" and understand what it was

my boss at work has matrix effect on most of linux things (like seeing dmesg output, a clueless list of data, and understanding things on it :) )

i had matrix effect reading bestiary with a friend. he said me "this bestiary is totally useless: all monsters are just a list of things" and i looked at him weirdly "what? seeing this list i can say, this one has claw, this one breath fire, this is totally gimp, this is a badass..." :D

so, at first you'll have a little problem reading bestiary or other "pre generated charachter" book; but, in my opinion, is a good way to understand how hero creation work. Then, gradually, you'll start understanding sheet, and soon you'll be able to read a list of things and undesrtanding "hey, this one is cool, this one is ugly, this one rocks, this one..."

if you whanna check some sample, this are a superhero squad i did some times ago (yes, description is in italian but core stat are in english :) and yes, is working in progress since 2005 :) )

ok is not something like "conqueror killers and crooks" but you can give a look here :)

or search on internet/forum: you'll found a lot of sample here in the forum or somewhere on the sea of internet :D

When my gaming informed me informed me that we were switching from BattleTech to a Hero 5r game I was worried. I had never played or watched a h5r game. The only time I had even seen the core book was on YouTube where kids were testing to see if it really could stop a bullet.

Over the last several months I have been tinkering with a character (6 major revisions and maybe 10 minor) I found a character that would work for me. I really like how there are so many ways to build something in this game. And how the same power with the same advantages and limitations can have totally different feels just by altering the special effect.

When my gaming informed me informed me that we were switching from BattleTech to a Hero 5r game I was worried. I had never played or watched a h5r game. The only time I had even seen the core book was on YouTube where kids were testing to see if it really could stop a bullet.

Thoese weren't kids - that was HeroTina, Jason Walters and a friend of theirs. i.e. HeroGames Warehouse.

So far I have 5e core' date=' Fantasy Hero, Champions, and Resource Kit. I'm in the middle of reading the core book right now. But helpful suggestions are always welcome.[/quote']

Some general suggestions:

Combat Handbook - this is what I take to games, invaluable combat info.

Character Creation Handbook - almost like having a second copy of 5ER at the table, only just the Powers.

and of the "build books" - Equipment Guide, UNTIL Superpowers Database I & II, Fantasy Hero Grimoire I & II, Enchanted Items, Gadgets & Gear (has an especially interesting section on Powered Armor), Spacer's Toolkit - these are all good sources of examples, and converting them for uses in different genres is excellent practice :)

beyond that, really depends on your needs for a game.

If you didn't play arcade games in the 80's' date=' you won't get it.[/quote']

There aren't a whole lot of geek/gaming references that go over my head, but I sure didn't get that one. Of course I didn't play arcade games, I didn't cross over from D&D to video games until Sega Master System and Nintendo in the late 80's/early 90's. The 80's were comic books and D&D for me.

While I was on the ENWorld boards, I began to ask a really simple question:

"Where's the code for building, say, a Holy Avenger? Where do I see the math that went into determining its advantages (+5 OCV, +4 DCs) or its limitations (Requires a Paladin, otherwise the weapon functions as an enchanted longsword, +2 OCV, +2 DC). How is all of that factored into its final cost?"

Answer: "We don't get access to that code, Thia. You eyeball it." And to be honest, I threw a snit. Not on the boards, just in general. I finally realized what'd been driving me insane. There was no coding option! If I wanted to get under the hood, I couldn't do that without violating the warranty. And that wasn't working for me, so Wile_E01 said, "Thia, did you consider the HERO system?"

"... the what?"

And the rest, as they say, is history.

It's the difference between buying a line of pre-made toys to play with that generally can't be systematically deconstructed to make changes -- and buying a big tub of plain old Lego, and using your imagination to construct whatever toy you want (like a 4' long Battlestar :)).

The Hero System "Lego" pieces are made to fit together in a systematic way. The D&D "End Product toys" don't take that ability into account.

IMO D&D appears easier because there are less options and variability due to a lot of the decisions having been made for you.

Welcome to The Ultimate Gamer's Toolkit! :D

Not to mention that it's with an 8- Activation Roll due to partial coverage (and that's being generous IMO). ;)
this remind me...

long time ago (while the "bulletproof thing" video came out) someone made "game stats" for 5er

something like a multipower with 2rPD and a KS: Hero Games or something...

Not to mention that it's with an 8- Activation Roll due to partial coverage (and that's being generous IMO). ;)

Yes, Activation Roll is one way to do it, but because I play in the Heroic genre I prefer the Hit Location table, and my book only covers section 12, must be hit from behind. ;)

"Warrior needs food badly!"

"Elf shot the food!"

"Warrior uses Elf for target practice." :eg:

I remember that game. :)

My best friend had Gauntlet: Legends for PS2.

During the time we played it, I'd request a snack break by exclaiming loudly:

"Green entomologist needs food badly!"

No idea what puzzleQrack is. Gauntlet or maybe Guantlet II would admonish you for taking an excessive amount of damage in a short time by proclaiming "That was a Heroic Effort."

Heh, yeah. Then it would tell you that "The (character) needs food badly [trans: deposit more quarters]. Midway got so much of my allowance that way.:doi:

No idea what puzzleQrack is. Gauntlet or maybe Guantlet II would admonish you for taking an excessive amount of damage in a short time by proclaiming "That was a Heroic Effort."

Puzzle Quest is a game that was released on the Nintendo DS and the PSP, then released in a high-def version on the Xbox 360 and PS3 for downloadable goodness. It's what happens when you combine Bejewled with Fantasy HERO. As you slide pieces, if you get a chain of 5 or more, the game says "That was a Heroic Effort!" So that's the last time I heard it, hence I thought that's what you were referring too, but clearly, it's an homage to Gauntlet.