Durability of shotgun shells

nexus

Re: Durability of shotgun shells

If they are kept dry and out of the sun(plastics in particular), and not exposed to oils, they should work for at least 40 or 50 years. Somewhat less if the temperature fluctuates (mostly high, iirc).

As long as they are not black powder loads, I suppose. Black powder eventually deteriorates, as I recall, and static electricity will set it off easily.

Smokeless powder will deteriorate eventually, but under good conditions it should last 50 years or so.

I imagine that even if the plastic starts to go, as long as the powder isn't wet and the shell isn't so far gone that the shot all rolls out, you could still use it in a breechloading shotgun. The worst that would happen is you'd shoot plastic confetti from the disintegrating shell along with your shot.

It would fall apart in a magazine though, so no pump-action PRE attacks.

Where I grew up, it was common to see all sorts of shells on the dashboards of pickups. The shell would be fine for quite some time if they were clean and dry. Putting a dirty round into a firearm is a no-no, as you likely already know. Though, it was a point worth bringing up-in terms of game play. Another point, the character should try to keep their weapon as clean as possible so that debris from dirty or old shells don't interfere with weapon use. Storywise, if they don't keep their weapons clean; a character might encounter a jam...which might just make their situation worse. :sneaky:

Pretty much covered already, but assuming they were not stored in a grossly inapproprite way (dry, cool, dark place) then I don't see why they would not last for decades. You can still buy cheap ammo produced during WW2 so that is 60+ years old.

Shotgun shells have been made from soft plastic similar to glue bottles and hard platic, waxed paper and brass. Some have a brass head, some are all plastic.

Brass will corode over time if its damp, this could probably be fixed with some steel wool unless its really bad. Paper shells are easily damaged by damp, they will swell and no longer fit into the chamber. All brass shells are pretty durable but they were heavy. I think plastic shells really came into use in the 60's, they were light weight like paper but water resistant like brass. However they will melt if you fire the gun a lot. That is why the military selected a brass case for the various CAWS full auto shotguns they played with in the 80's. I know you could still get paper shells in the mid 80's, not sure anymore I haven't fired a shotgun in a long time.

Best answer was what ever works for your campaign but, I'd say found in a mostly intact structure, 20 years no problem, laying in a ditch 2-5 years (except paper, those would only be good until the first good rain), found in a well made gun safe with dessicant pads, 100 years easy.

Pretty much the same for any ammo except paper shells will be more prone to water damage and plastic shells more prone to sun damage, compared to brass cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I JUST read an article about paper shotshells still being made by Remington, I think it is. Its part of their gold medal line, or something. Interesting stuff. Paper, plastic, and brass. Personally, I like brass, cuz they're shiney... but I use plastic, cuz I don't reload.

Everyone else covered this, just wanted to weight in on paper shells.. they do still make 'em. There's a demand amongst trap shooters and traditionalists.

Funny, I JUST read an article about paper shotshells still being made by Remington, I think it is. Its part of their gold medal line, or something. Interesting stuff. Paper, plastic, and brass. Personally, I like brass, cuz they're shiney... but I use plastic, cuz I don't reload.

Everyone else covered this, just wanted to weight in on paper shells.. they do still make 'em. There's a demand amongst trap shooters and traditionalists.

Also still in demand for the Western Action Shooting that's popular.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, everyone I know in cowboy action shooting, including me, uses plastic shotgun shells--Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil Target Loads, AKA "Featherlights". We use them because we don't need to impart much force to the shotgun targets, and this particular shell has a very light recoil--which is important, because shotguns kick like a #%&^ mule with full-power loads.

• 1 month later...

I did some research on this: modern gunpowder has an assumed shelf life of 50+ years. Ideal conditions could keep it functional for a century (maybe longer - that would be an interesting experiment). The real question is the condition of the casing.

Black powder, however, only has a shelf life of 2-3 years. After that it changes color, gets crusty, and emits an unpleasant odor (thus you can definately tell its gone bad).