Stealing Powers

Mindscape

I had an idea for a character that inherited the powers of those that he defeated, kind of like Blade did during that one story line in the Midnight Sons series. I thought about just taking a VPP and just adding a "must defeat/kill to gain". My only problems is how to make it permanent so that he never losses the inherited powers and how much the limitation should cost if I go that route. Thx in advance to anyone who answers.

Re: Stealing Powers

Easiest solution would probably involve Multiform. One form is the character-as-initially-designed; the second form is currently undefined, but will be character-after-stealing-powers. Put it on One Charge (-2) and Charge Never Recovers (-2). So once he changes into the second form (post-stealing-powers), that uses up the one charge, and he can never change back. Something like that. Season to taste. :)

Ultimately, you are asking for a character concept that gets crazy amounts of extra character points/XP for defeating his foes when everyone else at the table is probably only getting a couple of XP per session. So unless everyone has this ability, it's quite possibly going to smack of favoritism.

That said, a Cosmic VPP works fine for this. You may run into problems if the character tries to use too many stolen powers at once, but it's one of the best and easiest ways to do it.

Some other options include:

- Multiform

- REALLY big advantaged Transfer with the fade rate bought WAY down.

- Save XP and/or set aside character points. When the character defeats a foe, spend the banked XP and instantly gain new powers.

Depends what you mean. If the new abilities replace your own, or you can only ever add a certain number of points, irrespective of source, that replace existing abilities, a VPP or Multiform VPP would be the very thing.

If you get them in addition to your own, and can keep on adding new ones, well, that seems like a way to circumvent the XP rules. Being Hero, of course, it is perfectly possibly to build that.

Major Transform (wouldn't you just know it): nothing to character with your abilities and those of your opponents. Side Effect: you die.

Basically your body is transformed into a new character with enhanced abilities, but your personality, unfortunately killing you. You can then ask the GM if you can play the new character to replace your deceased one, and he can say 'No'.

OR

EDM (wouldn't you just know it): to a dimension where you have the abilites of your defeated opponent as well as your own. Of course, to everyone else int eh campaign it looks like you just disappeared after defeating your foe, and you're never coming back. Somewhere in the Multiverse, your character is becoming 'The One', meanwhile, in the game, you're creating a new character.

Does that help?

Assuming this is a permanent kind of thing (unfortunately, I don't have enough information; I'm not familiar with your example), then you're just spending experience points; this just gives you a very easy justification for it.

"I can copy and keep the powers of people I defeated. Since I just flattened this guy with fire breath, I'm going to buy a new Fire Breath slot in my Multipower, cool?"

Cosmic (+2) VPP

One Type of Power (Multiform Only) (-1/2)

Character has no choice regarding when or how powers change (Only into forms identical to the character plus the powers of those the character defeats in battle) (-1)

The pool cost should be the cost of your maximum form. I imagine I would create the base character and then sink everything else into the VPP.

Since his total power level would be kind of nebulous anyway, I think VPP covers this well.

Alternately, you could buy several linked Transfers, buying down the recovery to last years. Although still potentially a campaign breaker if the GM isn't thoughtful, there would at least be some finite limits, and an in-game explanation of why he doesn't achieve superheroic singularity: the stolen powers eventually wear off. You could apply a special -0 Disadvantage; affects the dead instead of the living. I think the ability to leisurely take the powers of your foe is balanced by the need to kill them first.

Finally, and this I think is an inspired suggestion, you could combine the approaches; use a very long duration Transfer to maintain his accumulation of powers within the story, then a VPP on top of that to fudge when you need to use a stolen power from last year's miniseries.