Need a little help with this one

CaptD

I want a darkness attack where when the character hits another with it. It creates a darkness field that follows the target. So far I got 1" darkness...usable as an attack. My question is this:

With darkness you usually only have to attack a hex. Does usable as an attack take care of this or would the character get a discount because he actually has to hit the opponent for it to work?

Re: Need a little help with this one

If the Darkness has "Usable As Attack" and you want it to "stick" to a particular character, you would have to target the character as normal OCV vs. the target's DCV, with no discount on the price. IMO you could still choose to target a hex, but then the Darkness would not move from that hex.

I want a darkness attack where when the character hits another with it. It creates a darkness field that follows the target. So far I got 1" darkness...usable as an attack. My question is this:

With darkness you usually only have to attack a hex. Does usable as an attack take care of this or would the character get a discount because he actually has to hit the opponent for it to work?

See this thread:

Re: Constant duration AoE, UAA issue

Another option available is to apply AOE twice. One for targeting the UAA component and one that determines the size of the effect.

example:

75 Make Him Glow, Make Him Glow, Make Him Glow...: Sight Group Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2), +/-5 to PER Rolls, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

70 Make Him Strobe!: Sight Group Flash 4d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (70 Active Points) - END=7

Use darkness like a regular attack power, where you have to target the defender, not the hex. Buy it as sticky.

If I were GM'g I'd give you a choice. If this is the only way your darnkess power works, I'd give it to you for free. If you have the option to use darkness either way, you pay for the second one. I wouldn't give you a discount.

He wouldn't get a discount. UAA changes the targeting from Area-Based to Individual Target-Based even though the Power still effects an area because it's not being "stuck to" a non-area (i.e., individual) target.

I think I read somewhere (Questions list or the FAQ perhaps) that you possibly could buy AoE:Hex to change the targeting back to that of a Hex (accurate?) yet still have the power follow the "primary target" that was in that hex. But IMO a cheaper way to get the same "to hit" advantage is to buy Limited Skill Levels:

15 Broadside Of A Barn: 9 Combat Skill Levels(45 Active Points) - Only With this one Darkness Attack(-1), Only To Make Effective CV Difference Equal To Attacking DCV 3(-1)

It doesn't change the Active Points of the power it's for, and it doesn't cost any END! :eg: True, it won't give the same advantage as true AoE against DCVs higher than 12, but how often do you see that?

Here's a random thought. Suppose we were to link a Zero END Uncontrolled Darkness to an Entangle power that is Limited with Does Not Impede Movement or DCV(-2)? The targeting would still be against a single target & not an area, but it would follow the target until he took the time to "peel it off". And it would be able to affect all normally-affectable targets unlike UAA powers. But that's neither here nor there for this thread. :)

I'm confused as to why something like darkness would need UAA, apart, obviously, from the fact that we have a ruling to that effect, which (and I'll have to check this) only appeared in 5ER.

Darkness is an attack power. It is ALREADY Useable As An Attack. You can target whatever you like, only, usually, you'll target a hex because it is easier to hit, and it will still affect the poor chump standing int he hex.

This is one of those rules inserted to preserve balance, isn't it? There must be heavy snow predicted for my mouth because someone's gritting my teeth.

I'm confused as to why something like darkness would need UAA, apart, obviously, from the fact that we have a ruling to that effect, which (and I'll have to check this) only appeared in 5ER.

Darkness is an attack power. It is ALREADY Useable As An Attack. You can target whatever you like, only, usually, you'll target a hex because it is easier to hit, and it will still affect the poor chump standing int he hex.

This is one of those rules inserted to preserve balance, isn't it? There must be heavy snow predicted for my mouth because someone's gritting my teeth.

I rather agree with you, although I think (maybe) I understand why UAA exists. Still, if you use darkness and hit the actual DCV of your opponent, can't you just keep using that power (with any END cost) and viola, same effect without the use of UAA?

I rather agree with you' date=' although I [i']think[/i] (maybe) I understand why UAA exists. Still, if you use darkness and hit the actual DCV of your opponent, can't you just keep using that power (with any END cost) and viola, same effect without the use of UAA?

IMO there are two main "defenses" against Darkness. Having a targeting sense that is not covered by the Darkness, and being able to move out of the area of Darkness.

The first is problematic, as the character's F/X has to explain why he has the Enhanced Sense -- which leaves the second one as the main "defense".

Take that away without any change in the cost of Darkness (by the addition of an Advantage), and you skew combats considerably IMO.