What Book Should I Buy Next?

Cardinal

Hello assembled Herophiles.

I have scratched together a little coin and have been pondering what book to pick up. The following is a list of what I have:

Hero 5E

Champions

Champions Universe

CUNotW

CKC

VVV

Champions WW

Millenium City

USPD

UMA

Ultimate Mentalist

Ultimate Brick

Viper: COTS

Until: DOF

Hidden Lands

Shades of Black

Does anyone have any particular favorites that did not make my list?

Re: What Book Should I Buy Next?

Ultimate Skill.

If you are running a skill heavy game it's great. If your champs games feel more power based, where skills are useful, but not dominant, I'd skip it. Not a single game I have been in since the book has come out (4 different GMs, with four different styles) has bothered to use this book after having read it (aside from the new "Ulitmate" skills). It is the least used Ultimate book I've seen in FtF gaming.

Combat Handbook is a much more referenced book at our table.

Ultimate Speedsters and Metamorph are both very solid books.

Also while not Champions U, Gestalt by Scott Bennie and the two Algernon Files books, all from Blackwrym are amazingly excellent. Even if you don't use the setting in Gestalt there are lots of good ideas and characters there, and the Algy files are the best Character collections I've seen for a long time.

Of all the subsetting books, Vibora Bay was my favorite, full of color and flavor.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Keep them coming.

Do you have Pulp HERO? Also a great text.

I don't have Pulp hero, but I am definitely open to non-champions books if they are good.

I was considering both Pulp Hero and Fantasy Hero in addition to many of the one ones recommended.

I hadn't thought about Utlimate Skill before, but the general outcry will definitely put it on the list for review.

How broad based is Utlimate Metamorph? I absolutely loved UMA and thought Ultimate Brick was pretty solid. I was a bit disappointed in Ulimate Mentalist, but that is partially because I had very high hopes for it.

If you own Ultimate Mentalist and Brick, I would absolutely complete the power archetypes collection by buying Ultimate Speedster, Energy Projector, and Metamorph. All are very solid, and inspirational books which are very useful for shaping characters based on the respective concepts.

Ultimate Mystic is rather good too but it somewhat suffers from the fact that some of the basic ideas and concepts that make up the archetype are discussed in another book, Mystic World (just like the way treatment of the Martial Artist is incomplete with UMA alone, you need Ninja Hero too), so I place it to the bottom of the list.

Ultimate Skill is a ery good book too, my appreciation of it is only somewhat diminished by the fact I rather despise skill-based heroes a la Batman.

Likewise if you have USPD I it would be very good to complete it with USPD II. I would only add that if you have a complete set of the Ultimate power Archetypes books, most of the power builds detailed in USPD I-II are reprinted there, only with a different organization, SFX or power archetype.

Last but not least, consider the Character Creation Handbook. It reprints the character creation rules from Fred with integration of most (albeit not all) of the nice little rule variants, options, and tweaks that have been published these late years in books like the ultimate series. It's kinda like a Hero 5th ed. Rev V. 2.0

I don't have Ultimate Skill (it's next on my list especially after all the people ranking it high), so I can't speak on it. If you have a mystic twist or mystic hero, I'd reccomend Demon, Sevants of Darkness. Fun if your mind works that way. Next I'd reccomend Ultimate Speedster. It made me want to build and play a speedster where I never had before.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on some recommendations from here, and some from elsewhere, I opted for Gestalt. I'm very impressed with the book as it is very clearly a labor of love. There are lots of nuances in the world, good art and a neat concept.

It is a bit darker at times than is my normal style, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Based on some recommendations from here, and some from elsewhere, I opted for Gestalt. I'm very impressed with the book as it is very clearly a labor of love. There are lots of nuances in the world, good art and a neat concept.

It is a bit darker at times than is my normal style, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Did you already start playing with it?

I just read up on Gestalt and it looks pretty interesting so far. But as a side question/note' date=' is it free for companies to make books using the HERO system like it is with the OGL for d20?[/quote']

No, you have to pay a small fee per book (exact figures escape me at the moment, but if you're interested in doing your own, I'm sure Hero would be glad to discuss it via private email). IMO, it's pretty reasonable.