Is it worth it to make stuff on your free time without even playing them?

maidenforce19

Re: Is it worth it to make stuff on your free time without even playing them?

Is it worth it to make things for your campaign (for a DM' date=' such as locations, NPCs, monsters, etc.) or a player (characters, spells, etc.) even if you never use them? [/quote']It is it's own reward, yes. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it absolutely is worthwhile. The alternative would be to not do it' date=' and I can't imagine how much worse off I'd be if I never did it.[/quote']

Definitely.

Time is precious and sometimes it's difficult to get folks together to game. Having things prepared ahead of time makes all the difference in the world.

Is it worth it to make things for your campaign (for a DM' date=' such as locations, NPCs, monsters, etc.) or a player (characters, spells, etc.) even if you never use them? I've made some things before that I had a blast making at the time even though I never got the chance to use them in a game. What do you think? Is it a time killer for having fun when you don't have a gaming group with you?[/quote']

You tell me: http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/

To further my comment, I see the work I do for my website as a way for me to continue to improve my character creation skills, as a creative outlet for my mind, as a way to improve my knowledge of the rules, and as a way to improve my writing skills.

To further my comment' date=' I see the work I do for my website as a way for me to continue to improve my character creation skills, as a creative outlet for my mind, as a way to improve my knowledge of the rules, and as a way to improve my writing skills.[/quote']

Nice :thumbup:

To further my comment' date=' I see the work I do for my website as a way for me to continue to improve my character creation skills, as a creative outlet for my mind, as a way to improve my knowledge of the rules, and as a way to improve my writing skills.[/quote']

It's also cool' date=' when someone mentions an idea they'd like to work into a game somehow, when you can say, "I did something like that a while back, let me see if I can find it..."[/quote']

I usually end up saying, "Susano did something like that a while back..." ;)

When you put together all these things you can do for your own pleasure, with creating something you can share to contribute to the pleasure of others, it's hard not call it worth doing. :)

I usually end up saying' date=' "Susano did something like that a while back..." ;)[/quote']

Not just me. I try to gather useful things for my site that other GMs and players may want to look at. There's a lot of creative HERO people out there -- it'd be a shame not to collect and archive their work!

I actually just found this old box of papers that contained custom races and campaigns i made a while ago for D&D, but the races seemed too imbalanced because I was dumb at the time.

Speaking of which, are there races in Fantasy HERO, or any HERO book for that matter?

Are there classes in Fantasy HERO?

Sort of. There are packages for making various kinds of priests, magicians, warriors, and so on. But there are no specific classes or levels.

Is it worth it to make things for your campaign (for a DM' date=' such as locations, NPCs, monsters, etc.) or a player (characters, spells, etc.) even if you never use them? I've made some things before that I had a blast making at the time even though I never got the chance to use them in a game. What do you think? Is it a time killer for having fun when you don't have a gaming group with you?[/quote']

Well, as I have not had the chance to actually game in a face to face

situation for several years I have to say yes, since most of my gaming

energies have been spent doing just that during my somewhat involuntary

'gaming sabbatical'.

And now that I will be running a face to face campaign (or two) again I'll

probably be harvesting a fair percentage of those ideas, characters, etc

for said campaign(s). :D

-Carl-

Well, as I have not had the chance to actually game in a face to face

situation for several years I have to say yes, since most of my gaming

energies have been spent doing just that during my somewhat involuntary

'gaming sabbatical'.

And now that I will be running a face to face campaign (or two) again I'll

probably be harvesting a fair percentage of those ideas, characters, etc

for said campaign(s). :D

-Carl-

Have you been playing online, then? And if you have, couldn't you use your ideas there instead of waiting for a F2F game?

Have you been playing online' date=' then? And if you have, couldn't you use your ideas there instead of waiting for a F2F game?[/quote']

Sadly, I've only been involved in one online campaign on HeroCentral. Aside from

that (and the campaign only lasted a couple of months or so....) I had not

played at all due to work schedules and my not wanting to become "that guy

who doesn't show up after a few weeks".

Thankfully, my schedule now is a bit more stable and so (with any fortune) the

gaming group I have become involved with will keep going.... :D

-Carl-

Sadly, I've only been involved in one online campaign on HeroCentral. Aside from

that (and the campaign only lasted a couple of months or so....) I had not

played at all due to work schedules and my not wanting to become "that guy

who doesn't show up after a few weeks".

Thankfully, my schedule now is a bit more stable and so (with any fortune) the

gaming group I have become involved with will keep going.... :D

-Carl-

Great :)

I'm also registered at HeroCentral, but I haven't played much there either. The current campaigns either haven't been able to grab my attention or are closed. I don't have time to run my own game right now, but I pop in once in a while.

I'm also registered at HeroCentral' date=' but I haven't played much there either. The current campaigns either haven't been able to grab my attention or are closed. I don't have time to run my own game right now, but I pop in once in a while.[/quote']

I'm sure you could find something ;)

It's easy to spend decades building a world. It's also not too impossible to get going at a game after just a few days or hours of working on it, but you'll end up working on it longer. I don't think anyone's homebrew world is ever really finished...there's always detail to add.