GenCon SoCal

naturaltwenty

Right now we're just trying to recover from GenCon Indy, so we haven't thought that far ahead. ;)

Even if we don't plan anything formally through the company, though, we'd love to have you run some Hero games at GenCon SoCal! If you know you're going to be there, you can let the con know you want to run a game through the usual channels. We'll still provide a gift certificate as a prize for your game, whether you work with us directly or not. All Hero games being run help us promote the game, after all!

From a recent Gamespy Gencon coverage article...

Champions: This arithmetic-intensive RPG got a new version last year, and it's still the gold standard for point-based games, using the hero system rules. Learn how to balance and break games by doing the math personally, and play some superhero punch-'em-ups while you're at it. This year, Fantasy Hero, the fantasy expansion book for the hero system debuted at the Con to some acclaim.

"arithmetic-intensive"...

"doing the math personally"...

I hope this guy comes to SoCal GenCon... I REALLY want to show him how easy grammar school math is... Come on buddy, it's fractions, not differential equations!!

$2.99?

Did you go that quaint French place, Target? I got mine at Wal-Mart for a $1.00.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

And if you invest $2.99 in a little solar-powered calculator that'll run forever off the light in your living room, it's not even fractions. :)

As far as I know, the scoop is that there is no scoop. It's the first time they're holding a gencon at anaheim. I've been to a sci-fi convention at that convention center several years ago and I used to attend a comic-con (when they had one) at a huge hotel near there. I'm sure it will be well organized and all.

The convention center is literally across the street from disneyland, about three miles from anaheim stadium (home of the world champion angels... though baseball season will be over by then and they'll no longer be champs) and the same distance from the arrowhead pond, home of the western conference champion mighty ducks (and hockey should be back on by then).

As you can imagine, due to Disney, it's a very congested little slice of the world, but if you've picked a hotel in the immediate area then it's not a problem. And there are tons of hotels around there.

Map of the Anaheim

Yeah, Ive been to the Anaheim Convention Center before a number of times, although its been 4 or 5 years since then and I dont really remember the details anymore aside from how messed up the roads between here and there were at the time. Of course, thats when I lived in Oceanside/Carlsbad, back in my Camp Pendleton/USMC days, so I was about 30 minutes further north of where I am now. IIRC from Oceanslime to Anaheim was a fairly straight shot up the 5.

I also did some contracting at the City of Orange city hall, and had to go up that way a few times on site visits.

In 18 years of gaming Ive never been to a _major_ Con before; Ive played in smaller Cons and to be quite honest the experiences were uneven enough to make me hesitate to dump that much time & money into a bigger version on the same. No quality control, if you know what I mean. Im one of those picky people that would rather go without something than settle for substandard goods.

Maybe if there were a specific event or something going on within the Con I might be motivated to come up for that.

Con experiences

I have run gam,es at the local cosn here in Northern Cal for a number of years and, to be honest, my favorites are the mid-sized ones. Large enough to attract a lot of people and have a lot goign on, small enough still that everyone gets lots of play time.

The biggest problm with big cons is there are never really enough games for all the players :(

Last number of years when I did GenCon it was on busisness either manning or walking the show floor and, to be honest, I found I enjoyed that more then the con itself.

But back when GenCon (and the industry) was small it was a blast. Saw my first live Playboy bunny at a Gencon when I was 13 :) :) (The early ones were held at the Playboy club in Lake Geneva.)

Anyway Im HOPING the SoCal one being new will be on the medium size...

I thought GenCon SoCal was supposed to be in SanDeigo? I guess they changed their mind.

I was secretly hoping that Killer Shrike could be lured out of his lair to GM a game of Fantasy Hero at a convention if it was in his home town ;)

Don't think I'll be able to afford to cross the border this year, but hopefully GenCon SoCal is around for some years to come and the HERO presence grows so that us WestCoasters don't have to travel so far.

I'm not a major convention goer, but what conventions are there on the West Coast that have a strong HERO presence?

I'm trying to determine whether my scheudle will enable me to attend GenCon SoCal, but I'd love to go to Dundracon again and run a game of something. And hopefully get to play in a few more. The question is how I'm going to afford a hotel room and transprotation, and whether I can get the time off from work.

I actually would probably prefer the atmosphere at DunDraCon -- I'm familiar with it and more comfrotable there. After some of the fiascos I heard about at genCon Indy this year, i wonder if the company that runs GenCon can put on three good conventions in a year, especially with one of them a new launch.