TA: Turkarian age campaign level

runescience

characters are around 150 pt level to start.

the tank wears 8pt plate into battle. He has an 11 pd on top of that. Is that excessive?

can turkarian mages where armor while casting?

if they can, he currently has 4pt armor. He wants to up to chain armor.

He has a 9 point shield spell he can throw up ontop of that.

I told the players they incur a dex/dcv penalty depending on what armor values they have.

We are using hit location in the game. I usually ignore stun to in combats against mooks to speed up combat. Higher lvl opponents use their stun.

one more question: the mage has a 20 pt Telekenetic hand spell. he wants to grab, and trip. Grab is a basic maneuver. How do you do a Trip in heroes?

thoughts? opinions?

Re: TA: Turkarian age campaign level

I told my players there is no way to trip with out buying a martial maneuver, they got mad at me because any one can do a trip in dnd, whether or not they are successful at it is another question.

there has to be another way.

does the phrase 'leg sweep' indicate you are sweeping the legs out from some one, or does it indicate you are using your leg to sweep down the intended victim?

the tank wears 8pt plate into battle. He has an 11 pd on top of that. Is that excessive?

Are you enforcing Normal Characteristic Maxima?

I told the players they incur a dex/dcv penalty depending on what armor values they have.

Yup, that's one good way to balance it.

one more question: the mage has a 20 pt Telekenetic hand spell. he wants to grab, and trip. Grab is a basic maneuver. How do you do a Trip in heroes?

I'd call it a Grab + Throw maneuver. Same penalties as making a normal Grab attack (-1 OCV -2 DCV), plus Range mods. Count Velocity as 0 (unless the target is running). So, it would do 4d6 Normal damage, and the target would be prone until he could stand (unless he had Breakfall).

Guest voodoo54

I told the players they incur a dex/dcv penalty depending on what armor values they have. QUOTE]

Is their official or unofficial rules out there for this, I would like to put this in my Middle-earth campaign and would like to know how others do it.

Guest voodoo54

What I meant was is their something out there(official or otherwise) that says for example: every three DEF of armor you wear you suffer a -1 to DCV/DEX. I'm not arguing weight affects these things but certain armors can be light but bulky and affect your movement as opposed to wearing no armor.

thoughts? opinions?

As the Teh Bunneh pointed out, this is a Grab + Throw, you just happen to be "throwing" them 0 Hexes, they end up Prone unless they succeed at a Breakfall roll.

Legsweep is a Mechanic, it indicates nothing about what is used to drop an opponent to the ground. In fact you can use normal Hit Locations to hepl decide on just what managed to happen. (FREX: if you get a Head Hit you can decide that they cracked their skull when they dropped - or were hit in the head so hard they lost balance and fell over.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing a "Mage" in a TA game and, due to Str minimums, I don't wear alot of armor (I think I currently have 2 PD armor right now). The GM has never had to come up with spell restrictions to get me or other spell casters not to wear armor. Me? I just make sure I'm either surrounded by friendly fighters or WAY back from the fight :)

• 3 weeks later...

Given that Paladins and Ulronai are both spellcasters and fighters, you should still be able to use armor and cast spells. It's just that most dedicated spellcasters a. will not have the STR to wear heavy armor without getting dragged down in combat, spellcasting penalties or no, and b. they have access to Force Field spells like Wizard's Shield. :D

JG

In a game like Turakian Age, I'd also suggest having other drawbacks to armour. If someone's wearing an 8 PD greathelm, their vision's going to suck, for one. Hearing won't be too great. The effect this has on combat would be variable... they might get penalties to CV in general, or perhaps just to specific moves (like block). Or you could forego CV penalties (the armour's probably giving them enough) and just penalise their PER roll. =)

In addition, wearing heavy armour should have an LTE drain -- most people didn't wear full plate all day, even when endangered; it would leave them unfit for battle when it did start. Wearing plate all day is fine for high fantasy, but in low fantasy where you're worried about armour being too tough, forcing them to not wear it all the time is a nice start. Make it something they put on when combat is expected right now, or if they won't have to go far to where the combat is, but in all other cases, they'll have lighter armour (leather, mail, whatever) instead.

It's one way of balancing armour, anyway. =)

In a game like Turakian Age, I'd also suggest having other drawbacks to armour. If someone's wearing an 8 PD greathelm, their vision's going to suck, for one. Hearing won't be too great. The effect this has on combat would be variable... they might get penalties to CV in general, or perhaps just to specific moves (like block). Or you could forego CV penalties (the armour's probably giving them enough) and just penalise their PER roll. =)

In addition, wearing heavy armour should have an LTE drain -- most people didn't wear full plate all day, even when endangered; it would leave them unfit for battle when it did start. Wearing plate all day is fine for high fantasy, but in low fantasy where you're worried about armour being too tough, forcing them to not wear it all the time is a nice start. Make it something they put on when combat is expected right now, or if they won't have to go far to where the combat is, but in all other cases, they'll have lighter armour (leather, mail, whatever) instead.

It's one way of balancing armour, anyway. =)

That's already part of Encumbrance rules (extra weight makes you spend extra END) and LTE is usually part of Heroic campaigns by default. I'm not sure if it applies to spell use, though.

JG

....In addition, wearing heavy armour should have an LTE drain -- most people didn't wear full plate all day, even when endangered...

Player: "There's a swimming pool at this castle? Cool, my character loves swimming."

GM: And while you're having a nice swim, ninjas attack!"

Player: "Did I mention that I was wearing my full plate armour?"

Oh, wait. Did you mean real life?

Player: "There's a swimming pool at this castle? Cool, my character loves swimming."

GM: And while you're having a nice swim, ninjas attack!"

Player: "Did I mention that I was wearing my full plate armour?"

Oh, wait. Did you mean real life?

This is why Excalibur is one of my favorite movies ever.

JG